PDA

View Full Version : Jones & Adams are your #2 DTs per Paul Jones

PassInterference
08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Looks real bad for Quay and Nick.

Unless this is some kind of speed DL strategy for OSU.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Could be a little of both. I think they are just putting Jones there so we can have Preston Smith, Denico, and Jones in on the same play for 3rd and long type situations. Its actually a decent strategy because throwing over the middle with a 6'6" guy jumping to block it may cause some interceptions - just hope they don't cut him.

I wouldn't expect Chris Jones to play DT on 1st or 2nd down.

msstate7
08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Wonder how much 3-4 we'll see

mic
08-27-2013, 10:57 PM

nothing wrong with a little 3-3-5 on 3rd and long with
Jones, Autry, and P Smith up front..

Everyone just pump the brakes on Quay and Nick.. lets just see what happens..

archdog
08-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Quay and Nick will be fine. Everyone calm down about them.

thf24
08-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm probably grasping at straws, but I think it's possible that Collins wouldn't play Quay or Nick a lot against OSU regardless for fear of them getting stuck on the field against the hurry-up given their conditioning issues.

nemsdawg
08-28-2013, 05:18 AM
This comes down to guys who we can have get caught on the field for several plays in a row. I can just imagine Collins and Turner looking at game film from last season and seeing guys struggling to get in a stance against the hurry up teams and not wanting to have flashbacks. Those guys will be run stoppers in SEC games. In the game today you better not let your depth chart get in the way of logic!

Coach 57
08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I told yall this was going to happen with Jones. He's the equivalent to Refroe being a 5 tool player. He is a traditional 4-3 DE, a 3 tech DT, or a stand up 3-4 OLB. I'm telling you this guy is incredible!

engie
08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
This gives us ALOT more versatility up front...

I'm guessing this allows us to show a ton of different looks with the same personnel groupings without taking anyone off the field...

I'm looking for alot of the snaps against this hurry-up spread to be(hybrids in bold):

Autry, Smith, Jones
Wells, McKinney, Skinner
Cox, Love, Calhoun, Hughes, Whitley

Could also be Autry, PJ, Chris up front on these... or Autry, PJ, Preston with Jones kicking to OLB....

ETA: Does everyone understand JUST how much better our team speed is in these scenarios in comparison to last year?
Jones compared to Cherry?
PJ just as fast as Boyd
Preston Smith compared to Eulls?
Matt Wells compared to Skinner?
Skinner compared to Cam Lawrence?

The only position we don't get notably "faster" is at DB -- and I fully expect this Nickoe to be 1.5 steps quicker than the one we saw last year. Nevermind that Cox and Love both have world-class speed...

The hurry up spread won't be a problem this year -- at least not like it was last year.

Barking 13
08-28-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm guessing this allows us to show a ton of different looks with the same personnel groupings without taking anyone off the field...

I'm looking for alot of the snaps against this hurry-up spread to be(hybrids in bold):

Autry, Smith, Jones
Wells, McKinney, Skinner

Could also be Autry, PJ, Chris up front on these... or Autry, PJ, Preston with Jones kicking to OLB....

ETA: Does everyone understand JUST how much better our team speed is in these scenarios in comparison to last year?
Jones way the f faster than Cherry
PJ just as fast as Boyd
Preston Smith compared to Eulls? LOL

The only position we don't get notably "faster" is at DB -- and I fully expect this Nickoe to be 1.5 steps quicker than the one we saw last year. Nevermind that Cox and Love both have world-class speed...

That's a whole lot of MAYHEM :cool:

mic
08-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Autry, Smith, Jones
Wells, McKinney, Skinner

Jones compared to Cherry?
PJ just as fast as Boyd
Preston Smith compared to Eulls?

The hurry up spread won't be a problem this year -- at least not like it was last year.

I agree except we are faster at CB maybe not as talented

engie
08-28-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree except we are faster at CB maybe not as talented

Hard to say we got faster when Darius Slay had the fastest 40 at the combine among all DBs. We may have gotten faster in Banks' slot, but not faster at the other 2 with Slay and Jamerson vs Jamerson and Cox...

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Hard to say we got faster when Darius Slay had the fastest 40 at the combine among all DBs. We may have gotten faster in Banks' slot, but not faster at the other 2 with Slay and Jamerson vs Jamerson and Cox...

It's hard to agree with this. Just because of scheme alone, we will be noticably faster across the board on defense. Our speed at corner should be a lot more apparent this year because they will play more aggressively out there.

If they all lined up and ran forties, I don't disagree with your statement. But in game situations, with the defensive scheme will will be running, our DBs will be much faster than last year.

engie
08-28-2013, 08:42 AM
So, we should expect more than 15 interceptions from the DB position?

I get what you are saying and agree -- that scheme will better allow them to showcase speed this year. But they didn't actually get faster. Thus my counterpoint that speed manifests itself in many different ways(int's)...even when playing soft coverage.

And the downside of what you are saying is that we will get beat deep way more often this year... so the DBs are going to look a lot better on the casual 5-15 yard outs that killed us last year -- but worse at the same time on the bombs. Which is a change that I'm actually happy with...

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Banks could make a hell of a break on the ball. He might not have the top end speed, but he is lightening quick and makes great adjustments with the ball in the air.

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 08:48 AM
So, we should expect more than 15 interceptions from the DB position?

I get what you are saying and agree -- that scheme will better allow them to showcase speed this year. But they didn't actually get faster. Thus my counterpoint that speed manifests itself in many different ways(int's)...even when playing soft coverage.

And the downside of what you are saying is that we will get beat deep way more often this year... so the DBs are going to look a lot better on the casual 5-15 yard outs that killed us last year -- but worse at the same time on the bombs. Which is a change that I'm actually happy with...

Speed doesn't translate into interceptions. We were clearly special at DB last year - both of those guys are going to be starting for their teams on Sundays this year. I just think we are going to be a lot more aggressive on the edges, which will benefit us significantly, especially against these air raid offenses we are playing. Last year, mostly due to scheme, we looked two steps slow against TAMU and Ole Miss (and even Troy if you recall). I don't believe that will be the case this year.

smootness
08-28-2013, 08:50 AM

I agree that we probably didn't get faster, but I don't think we lost speed, either. Cox has elite speed himself.

Coach 57
08-28-2013, 08:53 AM
I know on personal eval alone Jamerson is faster than Slay.

engie
08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Speed doesn't translate into interceptions. We were clearly special at DB last year - both of those guys are going to be starting for their teams on Sundays this year. I just think we are going to be a lot more aggressive on the edges, which will benefit us significantly, especially against these air raid offenses we are playing. Last year, mostly due to scheme, we looked two steps slow against TAMU and Ole Miss (and even Troy if you recall). I don't believe that will be the case this year.

Slow in the trenches and at linebacker(which I already showed position by position) -- thus allowing our DBs to be put in no-win bad circumstances... We still weren't slow at DB, outside of Banks' injury after MTSU, when I did think he was a step to step.5 slow the rest of the year...

engie
08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree that we probably didn't get faster, but I don't think we lost speed, either. Cox has elite speed himself.

I never said we did lose speed -- I certainly don't think that. Just don't think we actually got any faster at DB outside of Nickoe vs himself.

engie
08-28-2013, 09:00 AM

No offense -- but if this personal eval doesn't include laser timers, it's not meaning much. Slay was the FASTEST DB that came out for the draft in ALL of college football last year. Jamerson may be that fast or faster, but he's going to have to prove it to me on a laser timer at the combine before I will ever concede that point. It's not impossible, but it's highly improbable that we actually had the 2 fastest DBs in the country playing together in nickel last year...

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 09:26 AM
How much does Townsend coaching upgrade our DBs?

bocfarm
08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
How much does Townsend coaching upgrade our DBs?

Will see soon enough, Melvin was no slouch as a position coach

maroonmania
08-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Will see soon enough, Melvin was no slouch as a position coach

No doubt that Melvin Smith in his prime was a very good DB coach. Seemed to sort of be on the downhill slide although technically he's only like 54 or 55 years old. Lots of age on that Auburn D staff with Ellis Johnson at 62 as well.

Political Hack
08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Melvin was asleep at the wheel the last few years, but I hope people remember him for what he did at State during his prime.

Coach 57
08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Lasers, no stopwatch. 4.2s.

PassInterference
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Melvin was asleep at the wheel the last few years, but I hope people remember him for what he did at State during his prime.

Absolutely. Melvin did a lot to build what MSU fans have come to expect from our defense. More often than not we have a great defense. Even Croom had some great defenses (who stats are skewed by the offense's inability to accomplish anything). Of course Sherill did too. Melvin played a big role in the defensive tradition here.

smootness
08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Haha. K.

And where were you able to do this laser timing?

HancockCountyDog
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM

I just don't see how this is possible. Slay was damn fast. I like Love, but you think he runs a sub 4.36?

Name the amount, and I will bet you that Jamerson doesn't run lower than 4.36 at the combine, assuming he gets invited.

engie
08-28-2013, 11:49 AM

So, 4.2 flat then -- since lasers will tell us exact times -- not within 1/10 of a second.

That would make him the fastest player in the laser-timed history of the nfl combine. Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 for the current record. Seems like a big stretch...

hacker
08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
is it me, or is Coach 57 a liar?