PDA

View Full Version : Bear Wilson

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Guys, I hope I'm not getting overly excited, but I sense we are about to see something out of De'Runnya (Bear) Wilson that we have never seen before at MSU. I reserve judgment till Saturday, but the more and more you put the pieces of the puzzle together, the more it becomes clear that this guy has a skill that can't be taught and a skill that transfers very very well to any level of football: It appears that HE CAN GO UP AND GET THE ****ING BALL!

I have been and remain cautiously optimistic that about this, but the evidence is mounting that Saturday we may have a new difference maker on our hands that we didn't expect.

Today in an interview Jameon was quoted as saying this about Wilson, "He makes plays. He knows how to play with his size and plays big. He goes up and protects the ball and that is what it takes for a guy like him to make plays. He plays big and I like that."

Then I went back and watched his high school video to get a better feel for him, and it seems as though his team had pretty bad QB and the entire game plan was to throw the ball up to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3K_m56Hso

This could potentially add a dimension to our offense this year that we didn't expect and is virtually uncoverable.

TopDog58
08-27-2013, 10:59 PM
After witnessing the stellar freshmens seasons of Antonio Hargro, Ray Ray "Phone Booth" Bivines, Justin Jenkins, and Joe Morrow, ill hold off on all the excitement. If he catches 10-20 passes this season I'd be shocked. Who knows, maybe we've actually got a coach at that position.

Todd4State
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
If he plays high school football for 3-4 years, he would have been a four star prospect at least. No doubt in my mind about it either. That's the difference between Bear and Hargro, etc. He wasn't highly touted. I still think he is going to end up being a bad ass H-back for us because he is likely going to add muscle. If he doesn't add as much muscle as I think he will, we'll just keep him outside at WR.

The other reason I think he ends up at H-back is because to my pleasant surprise he looked pretty good at blocking on the video. Sure, he needs some work- but over the years he will get there.

Eric Moulds was sort of like that coming out of high school. He was more known as a basketball guy and then he focused on football and became one of the biggest freak shows I've ever seen at WR in my life. He darn near beat Alabama by himself in 1994.

sbcmortgageman
08-28-2013, 04:50 AM
After witnessing the stellar freshmens seasons of Antonio Hargro, Ray Ray "Phone Booth" Bivines, Justin Jenkins, and Joe Morrow, ill hold off on all the excitement. If he catches 10-20 passes this season I'd be shocked. Who knows, maybe we've actually got a coach at that position.

He'll have 10-20 by the LSU game.

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Guys, I hope I'm not getting overly excited, but I sense we are about to see something out of De'Runnya (Bear) Wilson that we have never seen before at MSU. I reserve judgment till Saturday, but the more and more you put the pieces of the puzzle together, the more it becomes clear that this guy has a skill that can't be taught and a skill that transfers very very well to any level of football: It appears that HE CAN GO UP AND GET THE ****ING BALL!

I have been and remain cautiously optimistic that about this, but the evidence is mounting that Saturday we may have a new difference maker on our hands that we didn't expect.

Today in an interview Jameon was quoted as saying this about Wilson, "He makes plays. He knows how to play with his size and plays big. He goes up and protects the ball and that is what it takes for a guy like him to make plays. He plays big and I like that."

Then I went back and watched his high school video to get a better feel for him, and it seems as though his team had pretty bad QB and the entire game plan was to throw the ball up to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3K_m56Hso

This could potentially add a dimension to our offense this year that we didn't expect and is virtually uncoverable.

We need to pump the breaks a little bit. He's a freshman. And a raw one at that. Last year everyone was hyping Morrow, and this year it's Wilson. I think he ends up being a good one, but even Julio Jones and AJ Green needed a couple of seasons to become dominant at the position.

engie
08-28-2013, 08:12 AM
We need to pump the breaks a little bit. He's a freshman. And a raw one at that. Last year everyone was hyping Morrow, and this year it's Wilson. I think he ends up being a good one, but even Julio Jones and AJ Green needed a couple of seasons to become dominant at the position.

Those two guys are really bad examples. Both destroyed the SEC as true freshmen and almost had 1000 yards of receiving. There were also 2 true freshmen among the top 6 in receiving yards in the SEC last year with Amari Cooper and Mike Evans. It's the easiest position in football to translate to the next level outside of special teams.

No one is expecting De'Runnya to be one of those guys as a true freshman. And you know what? We don't "need" him to be. What we need him to do is replace Arceto Clark and be better in a couple key facets from day 1, primarily to be a constant deep threat that can beat corners one on one, thus keeping the FS out of the box and in "help"...

Does anybody REALLY think these numbers are asking too much for him this year? 36 receptions, 487 yards, 1td... I don't. If that's all the production we get out of that position between Morrow and De'Runnya, I'm going to be highly pissed off...

Barking 13
08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
just catch the ball when thrown to him....:cool:

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Those two guys are really bad examples. Both destroyed the SEC as true freshmen and almost had 1000 yards of receiving. There were also 2 true freshmen among the top 6 in receiving yards in the SEC last year with Amari Cooper and Mike Evans. It's the easiest position in football to translate to the next level outside of special teams.

No one is expecting De'Runnya to be one of those guys as a true freshman. And you know what? We don't "need" him to be. What we need him to do is replace Arceto Clark and be better in a couple key facets from day 1, primarily to be a constant deep threat that can beat corners one on one, thus keeping the FS out of the box and in "help"...

Does anybody REALLY think these numbers are asking too much for him this year? 36 receptions, 487 yards, 1td... I don't.

What you are asking out of him is reasonable. Sure, he can do that. But all the comments about him being the missing piece to the puzzle, being a beast, being uncoverable, all that stuff....it may happen. I hope it does. But we shouldn't put so much hype on a true freshman, especially one that even our own coaching staff admits is raw. We did this with Morrow last year, too....and he turned out a disappointment. He's not a disappointment from a talent and potential standpoint, or even from a developmental standpoint, but he was from an expectations standpoint. That's not fair to him, and we're setting up Wilson the same way. That's all I'm saying.

bocfarm
08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Slow down fellas