PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Feels eerily similar to 2014 before the season started...

RougeDawg
09-02-2016, 10:24 PM
We knew more about our defensive capabilities and what to expect just like this year. We are starting a slightly less experienced QB this year than 2014, but the main similarity is the game in Baton Rouge can propel us into the playoff picture in week 3 of we find a way to win that one. Then we have over a month of games before we face a potentially better team than we are. Come out of BR 3-0 and we will be a force to reckon with the rest of the season. Yes I'm getting a little ahead but I expect us to win the first two games. As with the last two seasons, the LSU game will determine the rest of the year for us IMO.

Before everyone jumps in on the QB situation, lets remember that Mini Lee should've beaten LSU his only year under Mullen. Our QB's will be ready and this team has more talent than any Mullen has had. The chance to make a run like 14 is there if we win down there. And before everyone says "we've only beaten them once since WWII", not many gave us a chance in 14 either. I was one of the few who said we Should win that game going in. There are posts to back that up and for some reason this season is starting to feel that way again because everyone is writing us off. Time will tell but I feel like some heads will be turned this year by the 2016 Bulldog squad.

missouridawg
09-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Nope. We were all incredibly excited about our QB who just lit up Rice in the Liberty Bowl. This year feels nothing like that.

When Vegas set our o/u at 7 in 2014, I finally found a local bookie because I knew how huge of a mistake that was. This year has nine of that certainly wrapped in it.

RougeDawg
09-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Nope. We were all incredibly excited about our QB who just lit up Rice in the Liberty Bowl. This year feels nothing like that.

When Vegas set our o/u at 7 in 2014, I finally found a local bookie because I knew how huge of a mistake that was. This year has nine of that certainly wrapped in it.

Um, no one was thinking we were going to do anything in 2014 even remotely close to what we did. That's my point. Nobody expected that from Dak. If anyone expected to roll into Tuscaloosa unbeaten and #1, you are lying.

So if we beat a top 10 LSU on the road this year we can't go on a roll? You read what you wanted to read and disregarded the post. First paragraph states that QB play has rarely been an issue under Mullen even when we had less talent. We now have as much talent at the position as any team we've ever had and probably top 3 in SEC.

We win in BR and come out 3-0, there's no reason we shouldn't be undefeated rolling into T-Town again. Plus I expect this years defense to be better than that one.

ETA. Rice was garbage in that Liberty Bowl.

BB30
09-03-2016, 01:44 AM
There was definitely a lot more confidence in the 14 team than this one. Alot of people on here were predicting 9-10 wins.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2016, 05:50 AM
This preseason feels more like the basketball preseason of the year following the final 4 run.

Washington, Webster and Hyche were all going to pick up where Dampier, Jones and SuperD left off. Just didn't happen.

With that said, I think we will make the post season in football this year. I don't recall if we even made the NIT that year for basketball.

dickiedawg
09-03-2016, 05:56 AM
In '14 I said before the season that if we and Alabama swapped jerseys there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in talent.
I certainly don't feel that way this year.

Now this year we can win a lot of football games. We could very feasibly be 8-1 heading in to Tuscaloosa, but it would be a lot closer to 2012 than 2014.

civildawg
09-03-2016, 06:35 AM
I don't feel excitement at all this season. I think it's because we all know what Mullen does. Win games he's supposed to and lose ones he's supposed to

mparkerfd20
09-03-2016, 06:47 AM
We may be alone and may get our bubbles burst quickly but I'm with you. I think we will be a lot better than we are getting credit for.

msbulldog
09-03-2016, 07:09 AM
I like the athletes we have, good mix of experience and youth. If we get lucky at QB and CB and get good play and CDM let's the RB's all have some totes, we could be very good. I'm very excited about our new defensive staff and I hope CDM lets them do their thing. I think we're very solid at special teams and defense (considering good CB play or scheming to negate any problems at that position). I think the OL is going to be better than most expect. Dan Mullen will have an offense that produces.
It all boils down to what it does every year for every team 'it's how the ball bounces and who gets the breaks'. This team with the breaks has as good a chance to win the NC as any other football team in the nation. This team also has the potential to send this board into total meltdown by Nov. 1.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 07:21 AM
A guy that's pretty close to the program told me our coaches think this team is more '13 than '14. He also said that the coaches think we could be really good next year and the following... This could be one of the reasons we're hitting jucos hard this year.

Bullsy
09-03-2016, 07:23 AM
2014 = LSU sucked
2016 = LSU doesn't suck!

msstate7
09-03-2016, 07:27 AM
2014 = LSU sucked
2016 = LSU doesn't suck!

2014 lsu was preseason top 10... Just like this year. I think lsu could be really good; but they haven't been in a few years now, so I'll hold off on declaring them back

Taog Redloh
09-03-2016, 07:37 AM
2014 lsu was preseason top 10... Just like this year. I think lsu could be really good; but they haven't been in a few years now, so I'll hold off on declaring them back

Just stop. 2014 LSU was reeling from losing like 15 juniors to the draft, 2 years in a row. No comparison.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Right now I don't feel overly excited or too pessimistic. I just have a lot of questions for me to feel one way or the other. I'm most worried about our o-line and that we won't use Aeris enough. Dan is going to make sure we get solid QB play so I'm not worried on that front.

Todd4State
09-03-2016, 07:44 AM
A guy that's pretty close to the program told me our coaches think this team is more '13 than '14. He also said that the coaches think we could be really good next year and the following... This could be one of the reasons we're hitting jucos hard this year.

Doesn't have to be if they choose to play Aeris, Lee, and Gibson more than they would like. I do agree with them that next we will be really good.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Just stop. 2014 LSU was reeling from losing like 15 juniors to the draft, 2 years in a row. No comparison.

So you're declaring them national champs before game 1? All I said was they haven't lived up to hype in years... Wait and see what happens.

Les miles had perhaps the best collection of offensive talent the last 15 years in '13 and lost 3 games. As long as miles is at lsu, I have to see them before I believe

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2016, 07:48 AM
This season is interesting because I simply don't know a ton about our team.

When looking at the roster & two deep, we certainly have good players but the combination of experience & talent brings up questions.

Then I look at the two deep, &, with the exception of losing Dak & our two CBs, I think we are either a year more experienced or more talented at every position on the field. Yes we lost Bear as well, & we'll lose a component of our offense due to that, but we've replaced Bear with players that are faster & more explosive, so maybe it evens out.

That being said, I'm expecting 7 wins, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this team is pretty damn good once they find their footing.

TrapGame
09-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Too many unknowns for me to get schoolgirl giddy. I do think we will be better than most of the talking heads on SECN and ESPN say. I still think we go 8-4.

tireddawg
09-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Um, no one was thinking we were going to do anything in 2014 even remotely close to what we did. That's my point. Nobody expected that from Dak. If anyone expected to roll into Tuscaloosa unbeaten and #1, you are lying.

So if we beat a top 10 LSU on the road this year we can't go on a roll? You read what you wanted to read and disregarded the post. First paragraph states that QB play has rarely been an issue under Mullen even when we had less talent. We now have as much talent at the position as any team we've ever had and probably top 3 in SEC.

We win in BR and come out 3-0, there's no reason we shouldn't be undefeated rolling into T-Town again. Plus I expect this years defense to be better than that one.

ETA. Rice was garbage in that Liberty Bowl.

Am I reading this right? You think we're top 3 in talent in the SEC? Wow...

parabrave
09-03-2016, 10:27 AM

And this year LSU is still a one man team with the same offense as last year and the same suck asss QB.

mparkerfd20
09-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Eating my crow. I was way wrong. This team wont win 4 games.

BulldogBear
09-03-2016, 02:12 PM
LOL at this thread now

thf24
09-03-2016, 02:35 PM
bump

RougeDawg
09-03-2016, 03:00 PM
LOL at this thread now

Yep. I expected more than 0.00 effort from coaches and team. We are f*cked. Won't be spending any $ on bowl games this year. Dan gonna dan and keep treating these like scrimmages, we're bound to lose one eventually.

msstate7
09-03-2016, 06:00 PM

Good call