PDA

View Full Version : Juco recruiting

msstate7
09-02-2016, 08:08 PM
D'marcus Hayes was CBed to us today. He's a juco OT with impressive offers (Arkansas, Louisville, auburn, and Cincinnati). Anyway we have 2 juco olinemen committed now and pursuing another. We have 3 juco dlinemen committed, 1 juco TE, and 1 juco safety. Is this heavy dip in the juco ranks bc of holes or a change in philosophy recruiting wise?

Bass Chaser
09-02-2016, 08:14 PM
I believe they're trying to fill holes. I'm not optimistic about bringing in JUCO OL.

Homedawg
09-02-2016, 08:14 PM
D'marcus Hayes was CBed to us today. He's a juco OT with impressive offers (Arkansas, Louisville, auburn, and Cincinnati). Anyway we have 2 juco olinemen committed now and pursuing another. We have 3 juco dlinemen committed, 1 juco TE, and 1 juco safety. Is this heavy dip in the juco ranks bc of holes or a change in philosophy recruiting wise?

A combination of we have 30 available spots approximately, and filing needs.

msstate7
09-02-2016, 08:17 PM
I believe they're trying to fill holes. I'm not optimistic about bringing in JUCO OL.

Bama offered champion and he was a 4* in HS. Hayes was offered by Arkansas and auburn. I don't see a downside to getting them. The guard may be a reach though

Commercecomet24
09-02-2016, 08:18 PM

I think this is what's happening. I don't mind the jucos as long as we keep it balanced with the hs recruits and they're able to contribute and not just fillers.

Bass Chaser
09-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Bama offered champion and he was a 4* in HS. Hayes was offered by Arkansas and auburn. I don't see a downside to getting them. The guard may be a reach though

I guess I'm wary based on our past success with JUCOs. Do other OL coaches have all of OL learn all positions or just their position. Why does it take so long to contribute meaningful snaps?

msstate7
09-02-2016, 08:43 PM
I guess I'm wary based on our past success with JUCOs. Do other OL coaches have all of OL learn all positions or just their position. Why does it take so long to contribute meaningful snaps?
No idea. Assuming one of rankin and Jenkins step it up this year, we'd only need one of the above OTs to be ready next season. We could RS the other one. Well, I'm taking like we have Hayes, which we don't right now

HoopsDawg
09-02-2016, 09:04 PM
We only signed like 9 guys last february. I think we are just trying to sign as many quality players as we can. It's a little strange b/c we have a pretty big sophomore class so that's going to make for a big junior class next year.

I've heard it's a down year in MS high school so I'm not going to complain about adding O-linemen to the roster. Deon Pope and Sweat looked good last night from reports. The Safety commit seems unnecessary but I heard he was a beast at Big Dawg Camp.

Homedawg
09-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Think about why they went to juco in most cases.....there's your answer, usually!!

msstate7
09-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Think about why they went to juco in most cases.....there's your answer, usually!!

Good point haha

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 09:46 PM

That's insane when you think about it.

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 09:47 PM

It's no secret that we have missed on some high school o-linemen in the past. We have to make up for it somewhere. JUCO is the obvious place.

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 09:49 PM
We only signed like 9 guys last february. I think we are just trying to sign as many quality players as we can. It's a little strange b/c we have a pretty big sophomore class so that's going to make for a big junior class next year.

I've heard it's a down year in MS high school so I'm not going to complain about adding O-linemen to the roster. Deon Pope and Sweat looked good last night from reports. The Safety commit seems unnecessary but I heard he was a beast at Big Dawg Camp.

The safety commit makes sense if Peters stays at cornerback which remains to be seen at this point.

Homedawg
09-02-2016, 09:51 PM
That's insane when you think about it.

What? that we have 30 spots?

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 10:11 PM
What? that we have 30 spots?

Yes

fader2103
09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
I don't mind the JUCO route some years. Jackie took advantage of it in the late 90's and we had success. But I believe it was the start of his downfall too

Dawghouse
09-03-2016, 12:26 AM
I don't mind the JUCO route some years. Jackie took advantage of it in the late 90's and we had success. But I believe it was the start of his downfall too

JUCO recruiting wasn't really the cause of his downfall. Yeah he whiffed on the Aizona Western group when he was trying to fill the DL but reality is that Dontae Walker class was his downfall, much like Reynardo was for Stans. That locker room was a dang disaster with those idiots running the show. I had a relative on those teams. He quit football because of how bad it got in the locker room. Inmates running the asylum.

Problem with JUCO is you obviously missed on some HS prospects if you're going JUCO so if you whiff there too you're screwed.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2016, 07:23 AM
JUCO recruiting wasn't really the cause of his downfall. Yeah he whiffed on the Aizona Western group when he was trying to fill the DL but reality is that Dontae Walker class was his downfall, much like Reynardo was for Stans. That locker room was a dang disaster with those idiots running the show. I had a relative on those teams. He quit football because of how bad it got in the locker room. Inmates running the asylum.

Problem with JUCO is you obviously missed on some HS prospects if you're going JUCO so if you whiff there too you're screwed.

I heard Dontae would just walk to the locker room when they had to do sprints or anything else. He would just practice.

Taog Redloh
09-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Love it, plus we got to have it. We have talent everywhere next year except the lines. Shows me that Mullen knows exactly what he's doing and he has finally 'gotten it' in regards to how JUCOs can help us.

Taog Redloh
09-03-2016, 07:46 AM

Yes. A bust JUCO class AND Jackie losing control (mainly due to all his personal problems) caused his downfall. I mean we recruited an ENTIRE DL from Az Western.

Nobody complained about the JUCO classes of 97 and 99 that worked.