PDA

View Full Version : 2013 MSU Baseball Team

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2016, 09:01 AM
This is the team that finished runner-up in the CWS & the team we thought over achieved by getting there. Yeah, that team.

With Jonathan Holder being called up to the Yankees yesterday, I feel the need to update this. Everyone wants to talk about that 1985 team, but this team damn near had 2001 Miami football level talent.

This team had 5 players that have already played in Major League baseball, 2 players that absolutely will play in Major League Baseball, & 2 more that are in AA & have a legitimate shot. There is a pretty solid chance that the 2013 MSU baseball team will have 8-10 players that make it to the Major Leagues. Folks that is just about unheard of outside of Florida or Vandy. Funny how that team looks more special now than they did at the time.

Lets take a look:

Have Been on A Major League Roster

Adam Frazier
Chad Girodo
Kendall Graveman
Jonathan Holder
Jacob Lindgren

Top Prospects that have a 99% Chance of Playing in the Major Leagues

Hunter Renfroe
Brandon Woodruff

Players in AA that have a Legitimate Shot of Playing the in Major Leagues

Ben Bracewell
Evan Mitchell

Additional Players with a Chance

Jacob Robson
Brett Pirtle - in High A
Daniel Garner - Rookie Ball

BeardoMSU
09-02-2016, 09:04 AM
It's a shame Kendall couldn't pitch against UCLA....and that we didn't hit more line drives against them...

Tbonewannabe
09-02-2016, 09:29 AM
It's a shame Kendall couldn't pitch against UCLA....and that we didn't hit more line drives against them...

Why in the world did we allow them to pitch us exactly how they wanted I will never know. For 2 games we did nothing but hit lazy fly balls. We would have had a better chance trying to bunt every 17ing pitch.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Just to add some perspective here: most of the national title teams at Texas & LSU had about 3-4 eventual Major Leaguers on the roster & that's about the average for National Championship caliber teams.

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Why in the world did we allow them to pitch us exactly how they wanted I will never know. For 2 games we did nothing but hit lazy fly balls. We would have had a better chance trying to bunt every 17ing pitch.

Just guys trying to do too much and getting away from their fundamentals.

M.Fillmore
09-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know how the UCLA players are faring in regards to the MLB?

1985 was frustrating. We had players that put in exactly 100 seasons of play in the MLB. Texas and Miami finished ahead of us. Miami had zero make it to MLB, and Texas had one player to make it to the show, and he lasted only a season or so.

Tbonewannabe
09-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Just guys trying to do too much and getting away from their fundamentals.

I could understand struggling for a game but we looked like garbage both games. I guess that is the difference when it is our first time and UCLA had multiple trips. Less pressure on UCLA to win it than MSU who had never won a National Title in a big sport.

HSVDawg
09-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Texas had one player to make it to the show, and he lasted only a season or so.

Wasn't Roger Clemens on that Texas team? He lasted a lot longer than one season.

ETA: Nevermind, his last year there was in 1983.

starkvegasdawg
09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
We would have had a better chance trying to bunt every 17ing pitch.

Cohen says, "Now you tell me."

State82
09-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Cohen says, "Now you tell me."

Ha! Good one!

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 03:02 PM
I could understand struggling for a game but we looked like garbage both games. I guess that is the difference when it is our first time and UCLA had multiple trips. Less pressure on UCLA to win it than MSU who had never won a National Title in a big sport.

I think you are right about it being more about the moment than anything. LSU didn't win their first NC until after a couple of tries.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2016, 03:35 PM
I think you are right about it being more about the moment than anything. LSU didn't win their first NC until after a couple of tries.

And having a systemic PED program that is unprecedented in college baseball history.

HSVDawg
09-02-2016, 03:40 PM

I don't think it took them 9 tries. We have the 6th most CWS appearances without actually winning it. FSU has 21 appearances, Clemson has 12, UNC has 10, Florida has 10 and Northern Colorado (WTF) also has 10 and none have ever won the whole thing. We need to get that monkey off our backs, especially after watching a mid major like Cosstal Carolina win it in their first ever trip.

smootness
09-02-2016, 04:00 PM
I don't think it took them 9 tries. We have the 6th most CWS appearances without actually winning it. FSU has 21 appearances, Clemson has 12, UNC has 10, Florida has 10 and Northern Colorado (WTF) also has 10 and none have ever won the whole thing. We need to get that monkey off our backs, especially after watching a mid major like Cosstal Carolina win it in their first ever trip.

Most appearances without a CWS championship
1 Florida State 21
2 Clemson 12
3 Florida 10
3 North Carolina 10
3 Northern Colorado 10
6 Mississippi State 9
7 Arkansas 8
8 Maine 7
9 St John's (NY) 6
9 Western Michigan 6

ETA: Ah, you edited on me.

Tbonewannabe
09-02-2016, 04:08 PM
I don't think it took them 9 tries. We have the 6th most CWS appearances without actually winning it. FSU has 21 appearances, Clemson has 12, UNC has 10, Florida has 10 and Northern Colorado (WTF) also has 10 and none have ever won the whole thing. We need to get that monkey off our backs, especially after watching a mid major like Costal Carolina win it in their first ever trip.

Coastal Carolina seemed to play like it was fun and they just were out there having fun. We seemed to do that in 2013 but when we got in the Championship series it was like it hit us that no team from Mississippi had ever played for a National Title in the Big 3 sports. No matter how many times UNM wants to claim a Playgirl magazine national title in football, they still haven't played for a title or won it.

Todd4State
09-02-2016, 07:43 PM

I was talking about the CWS final two as opposed to just the CWS itself. Definitely agree we need to get the monkey off of our backs.