PDA

View Full Version : Derek Mason is a fool and should be fired today

Indndawg
09-02-2016, 05:15 AM
Pulling a QB who was getting hot for a QB who was horrible, not for one series but a the remainder of the half.

Vandy could have won the game, but Mason gonna Mason

somebodyshotmypaw
09-02-2016, 05:55 AM
He's like Croom. He coaches like he has Alabama talent and he is playing against Southern Miss.

shoeless joe
09-02-2016, 07:02 AM
I honestly don't see how he was hired. I've never heard him say anything and come away thinking "man, that guy knows football".

Really Clark?
09-02-2016, 07:05 AM
I agree on Mason but it was 2 series not the rest of the half and they had already planned for both to play early in the game. And Shurmur was 4-6 for 25 yards with a long of 16 in the first quarter. One pass worth anything the rest were for just over 2 yards per completion. Don't act like he was throwing it all over the place. And during the second half he was hot garbage. 3-14. I see why they needed to look at more than one.

shannondawg
09-02-2016, 07:16 AM
Well both Sec game was about kickers. One won the game for SC and the other for missing a pat lost the game for Ap State.

I really felt sorry for the Ap State kicker, that would have been an epic win for them, and they deserved it.

basedog
09-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Vandy being Vandy, I said the same thing last night about Mason putting the 2nd string QB in the game after Vandy had just put a drive together and scored. After 2 straight 3 and outs with 2nd team QB, Vandy was never the same on offense plus they made no adjustments on defense.

I'd probably fire Mason today as well and usually I wouldn't say something like that but he surely isn't the answer.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2016, 07:41 AM
How sone experts picked vandy to be a bowl team is beyond me. They haven't had a qb in years and still don't and they're running a Bama offense with vandy talent.

Mjoelner34
09-02-2016, 07:44 AM
How sone experts picked vandy to be a bowl team is beyond me.

Because it makes them feel better about themselves. Its kind of like letting the retarded kid score a TD in backyard football.

thf24
09-02-2016, 08:23 AM
How sone experts picked vandy to be a bowl team is beyond me. They haven't had a qb in years and still don't and they're running a Bama offense with vandy talent.

It's the classic media option route. They pick a dark horse or a recently bad team like Vandy and say they're going to surprise people. If it happens, they claim credit for being geniuses. If it doesn't, they pretend they never said anything and move on to some other talking point. It's never about whether or not they actually think the team in question has a chance to be good.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2016, 08:33 AM
It's the classic media option route. They pick a dark horse or a recently bad team like Vandy and say they're going to surprise people. If it happens, they claim credit for being geniuses. If it doesn't, they pretend they never said anything and move on to some other talking point. It's never about whether or not they actually think the team in question has a chance to be good.

Exactly! The media does almost zero research on college football in making their predictions.

nsvltndog
09-02-2016, 08:43 AM
I mostly watched the UT game, but my takeaway from the USC - Vandy game is that we better not let South Carolina hang around in the 4th quarter. Their kicker will be playing on Sundays. That 55 yarder with under 1 minute left was an incredible kick and had some room to spare. He's the kind of kicker that would have given us a win against LSU on that long kick we missed last year.

Mjoelner34
09-02-2016, 09:03 AM
I mostly watched the UT game, but my takeaway from the USC - Vandy game is that we better not let South Carolina hang around in the 4th quarter. Their kicker will be playing on Sundays. That 55 yarder with under 1 minute left was an incredible kick and had some room to spare. He's the kind of kicker that would have given us a win against LSU on that long kick we missed last year.

IF USCe is within a FG in the 4th quarter against us, the Egg Bowl will be our only bowl game of the year.

DancingRabbit
09-02-2016, 09:12 AM
I presume Mason lost that special sheet of paper again.

From 1 year ago -

"I had a sheet that I had been looking for for the last 18 months," Mason said. "Lo and behold, about two weeks ago, it popped up. I found it in my library of football books."

What he found was a detailed list of game situations and what he should do in each of them. According to his timeline, he had it when he accepted the job at Vanderbilt last January (or shortly thereafter). He was without it, though, when the Commodores went 3-9 and failed to win an SEC game for the first time in five years.

"I had already gone through that list and really remembered a couple of items on there that needed to be checked off," Mason said. "Now, I feel really good about what we're doing and where we're at."

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/derek-mason-finds-missing-piece-of-paper-vandy-now-playoff-contender-090215

HancockCountyDog
09-02-2016, 09:26 AM
The fact that Mason did not call a time out after they stopped SC on 3rd down when there was roughly a 1:30 left on the clock, and let SC run the clock all the way down to 50 something seconds, and then lets SC call a timeout was beyond baffling. It is inexcusable.

Regardless of the make or miss of the kick, vandy needed every second. Now, maybe he knew his offense couldn't score if there were 5:00 minutes left on the clock, but holy hell was that bad.

If Im the AD I have him in my office explaining that decision. Of course, I would make him respond without his cheat sheet.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Mason is hard to figure. He appears to be a really good defensive coach but also appears to know absolutely nothing else about the game of football. He's a either a defensive savant, like rain man or he's like Coach Red Beaulieu and stole another coaches defensive playbook.

thf24
09-02-2016, 10:33 AM
I presume Mason lost that special sheet of paper again.

From 1 year ago -

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/derek-mason-finds-missing-piece-of-paper-vandy-now-playoff-contender-090215

That's the cringiest, most embarrassing thing I'd ever heard in sports, bar none. If I'd have been his AD I'd have fired him the moment those statements came across my desk. How do you keep paying a guy $2.5 mil a year after he publicly claims he under-performed because he'd lost a sheet of paper and couldn't remember what was on it?

oildawg
09-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I would be happy to have Mason as a Defensive Coordinator. Looks like he may be back in that role in the future...

mstatefan91
09-02-2016, 10:48 AM
For a smart guy, he says and does some really stupid stuff every single week.

drunkernhelldawg
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Preseason rankings are about ink, not football. Nobody knows anything until the whistle blows.