PDA

View Full Version : If you could retire......

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2016, 10:27 PM
anywhere in the world right now and maintain your current lifestyle, where would it be? As a second related question, if you are restricted to the US under the same condition where would it be? Just a bit of fun. I expect I'll be right where I'm at now in Mississippi unless I hit the lottery.

For me, as of now in the the whole world, it would be the Isle of Mull in Scotland. I was there this summer and I totally fell in love with the place. In the US it would be Louden County, Virginia.

AROB44
09-02-2016, 08:42 AM
anywhere in the world right now and maintain your current lifestyle, where would it be? As a second related question, if you are restricted to the US under the same condition where would it be? Just a bit of fun. I expect I'll be right where I'm at now in Mississippi unless I hit the lottery.

For me, as of now in the the whole world, it would be the Isle of Mull in Scotland. I was there this summer and I totally fell in love with the place. In the US it would be Louden County, Virginia.

I would pick the Isle of Skye......love that place. Actually just about anywhere in the Scotland highlands. Or...maybe even Orkney...

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Anywhere I the world - Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Was lucky enough to to go there in 2001. Beautiful, old world resort with 15th/16th century architecture, semi tropical beaches with snow covered mountains within a few miles of each other.

In US - Charelston down South of Broad.

starkvegasdawg
09-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Anywhere in the world might be Ireland. That's where we honeymooned and loved it. Confined to the US probably somewhere in Colorado or Wyoming.

Barking 13
09-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Pickwick lake - if not there, right here on Bulldog Hill in rural Alabama... I know it doesn't sound fancy, but I like it out here in the middle of nowhere. 1-1/2 hours to B'ham, ~ hour to Starkvegas, Tupelo, Tuscaloosa, So I'm not really that remote.

Liverpooldawg
09-04-2016, 12:26 AM
I would pick the Isle of Skye......love that place. Actually just about anywhere in the Scotland highlands. Or...maybe even Orkney...

We were at/on Skye as well. We mostly saw Skye from the sea. We went ashore at Portree and at Loch Scavaig /Loch Corrusk. The scenery was SPECTACULAR. We saw more of Mull from the land than we did Skye, equally from the sea. I agree, anywhere in the Highlands or the Hebrides would do. Mull just spoke to me. Canna probably spoke more than either, but it's just to remote and too small. Iona was wonderful too. I've never been to the Orknies..........BUCKET LIST for sure.

Taog Redloh
09-06-2016, 10:30 AM
I'd be in an RV. Can't stay in one place. I'd probably have a condo in Starkville or wherever my kids are, just to have a solid location somewhere.

Johnson85
09-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Not sure how to answer that question. I'd live somewhere more urban and walkable if I could have something similar in space to what I currently have now with access to good schools and still have the same resources for eating out, activities, etc. Of course most places I'd want to live an equivalent living space would run somewhere around $1M+.

If you're talking about having similar resources, there's probably not many places better than I live right now as far as trade-offs between quality of life and affordability.

If I suddenly came into F-U money, I'd start bouncing around a lot. Spend time traveling very slowly through europe and central and south america. Probably spend some time slow traveling through the Caribbean by boat.

Mjoelner34
09-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains of Montana or in Alaska to a cabin with an awesome view and an hours drive from the nearest neighbor.

Mjoelner34
09-08-2016, 02:54 PM

AROB, check your PM.

BulldogBear
09-18-2016, 07:25 PM
I don't know if I want to maintain my current lifestyle!!! Need a slight upgrade. Don't need stuff just time and mean to travel a bit.

Ireland

Stateside in this order:
Sitka (AK) or Anchorage (AK)
Chattanooga (TN)
Shenandoah Valley (VA)
Starkville (MS)
Albuquerque (NM)