PDA

View Full Version : Being Bielema, interesting comment...

HoopsDawg
09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
One of the things he's most proud of, he's never hired a friend. Interesting.

He said it's tough to fire a friend and a friend could become complacent.

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2016, 09:43 AM

I like it. Reminds me of Croom/McCorvey. It also reminds me of Mullen/Hevesy.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2016, 09:49 AM
So who carry's his bags for him when they get off the bus.

HancockCountyDog
09-01-2016, 09:52 AM

At a school like Arkansas, that is smart. He needs guys that recruit Florida and Texas, otherwise they are toast. If you can't recruit those two states well and are at Arkansas, you are dead wood.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Yeah, this is easier said than done.

The problem is that many times young coaches become friends because they are co-collaborators in pushing the envelop schematically. In Croome's case, he just hired McCorvey as a favor but Mullen is different.

It is my understanding that Mullen's offense requires a specialized zone blocking scheme that may be unique within coaching. So, even with all his faults, Hev may not be as replaceable as we think. He's been with Mullen for a long time and besides being our OL coach, he and Gonzalez may be Mullen' intellectual collaborators on offense. We simply must have an OL that understands Mullen's offense in and out and many times that will be a friend.

Johnson85
09-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah, this is easier said than done.

The problem is that many times young coaches become friends because they are co-collaborators in pushing the envelop schematically. In Croome's case, he just hired McCorvey as a favor but Mullen is different.

It is my understanding that Mullen's offense requires a specialized zone blocking scheme that may be unique within coaching. So, even with all his faults, Hev may not be as replaceable as we think. He's been with Mullen for a long time and besides being our OL coach, he and Gonzalez may be Mullen' intellectual collaborators on offense. We simply must have an OL that understands Mullen's offense in and out and many times that will be a friend.

That and there's the issue of are you really going to work 60 hour weeks with people and not become friends with some of them over time? I guess as long as you don't hire somebody that's already a friend, it's easy to know whether someone is working out before you develop too deep of a friendship, but you are going to have people that perform for a few years and then drop off because of the grind.

lamont
09-01-2016, 10:17 AM
John Hevesy is a good football coach- hell, USC tried to hire him after the 2014 season.

What John Hevesy is not is a good recruiter. His personality just a rubs people wrong. Some guys absolutely love him but a larger number does not. I also question his evaluation on some guys. But it is what it is- and it looks like it is t changing. Mullen is willing to put his paycheck and reputation on the line with him- so it's not changing

RBritt
09-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Beliema didn't want to talk to Bucky last night on that show on espnu.

HoopsDawg
09-01-2016, 11:25 AM
That and there's the issue of are you really going to work 60 hour weeks with people and not become friends with some of them over time? I guess as long as you don't hire somebody that's already a friend, it's easy to know whether someone is working out before you develop too deep of a friendship, but you are going to have people that perform for a few years and then drop off because of the grind.

He said he becomes friends with his coaches, he just doesn't hire friends.

AROB44
09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
John Hevesy is a good football coach- hell, USC tried to hire him after the 2014 season.

What John Hevesy is not is a good recruiter. His personality just a rubs people wrong. Some guys absolutely love him but a larger number does not. I also question his evaluation on some guys. But it is what it is- and it looks like it is t changing. Mullen is willing to put his paycheck and reputation on the line with him- so it's not changing

Rember...Joe Lee Dunn did not recruit....at least that is what is in my memory. If Hev is a good OL coach, I do think we can put up with him not being a good recruiter. By now we should have some really good recruiters.

WinningIsRelentless
09-01-2016, 11:57 AM
What gets missed with is sallach. If you want someone's head on the block it should be his.

WPS
09-01-2016, 11:59 AM
At a school like Arkansas, that is smart. He needs guys that recruit Florida and Texas, otherwise they are toast. If you can't recruit those two states well and are at Arkansas, you are dead wood.

Bielema seems to have switched focus here from Florida to Louisiana, which no coach here has really done before. Louisiana does have some great athletes and LSU can't take them all. Pretty sure we'll have around 10 players on the roster from there this year.

thf24
09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Hopefully TBuck handling the OL recruiting is a trend that will continue. Although I suppose we couldn't get away with completely avoiding contact between OL recruits and the OL coach prior to signing.

Homedawg
09-01-2016, 12:29 PM

This^

lamont
09-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Rember...Joe Lee Dunn did not recruit....at least that is what is in my memory. If Hev is a good OL coach, I do think we can put up with him not being a good recruiter. By now we should have some really good recruiters.

This isn't the old days Pops- it's a new world out there and a different breed of "feel the love" kids.

I seen it dawg
09-01-2016, 12:46 PM
The OL coach has got to be able to recruit the OL. Our DB coach can't be expected to do all the heavy lifting there. If he sees a prospect he should be able to touch them then hand them off to the OL coach who should be able to close the deal. Hevesy just isn't the guy we need for the OL. He's not near damn good enough as a coach to not recruit effectively.

Johnson85
09-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Hevesy just isn't the guy we need for the OL. He's not near damn good enough as a coach to not recruit effectively.

I don't know. Our 2014 line didn't seem to be anything to write home about talent wise, and it was still good enough that we could have won every game with them. I think he might be good enough if he just doesn't tank our recruiting. If we could get 3-4 legitimate OL recruits each year, I think we would consistently have a pretty good to good OL.

msujan
09-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Well, if you're Fogelsong, you'll hire your former military aide-de-camp.

lamont
09-01-2016, 04:45 PM
I don't know. Our 2014 line didn't seem to be anything to write home about talent wise, and it was still good enough that we could have won every game with them. I think he might be good enough if he just doesn't tank our recruiting. If we could get 3-4 legitimate OL recruits each year, I think we would consistently have a pretty good to good OL.

Our 2014 OL was our best since 2009- and they still got knocked around in November. We won vs UPig but only scored 14 points. We lacked enough talent to finish the job that year. And that's as good as we will be with Hevesy recruiting

basedog
09-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Actually, if Msu has a weakness through out history it's been our OL, JWS probably was the best ever at Msu in having good O-Lines. Tall with long arms but could move the pile!

P.S. AROB44 = POPS, love it but so true!

Spiderman
09-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Hev found and recruited Jones and Dak. Have to give him credit for those.

Prescott was no idiot. If Hev talked him into State, he did something right. If he was such a horrible recruiter, Dak would never have come to State.

lamont
09-01-2016, 06:24 PM
There is your lead recruiter- and then There is your position coach that recruits you as well. Hev wasn't the only one that got Prescott to State.