PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate when...

djaymsu5
08-31-2016, 10:15 PM
They paint one of the end zones "Hail State?" Just like the basketball court putting Starkvegas. Like wtf? Why can't we just put Bulldogs? Damnit

missouridawg
08-31-2016, 10:22 PM
I disagree on both. I love that we are marketing and embracing both Starkvegas and Hail State.

preachermatt83
08-31-2016, 10:24 PM
I disagree on both. I love that we are marketing and embracing both Starkvegas and Hail State.

Agreed!!

djaymsu5
08-31-2016, 10:31 PM

Just seems cheesy to me. Maybe it's just me

starkvegasdawg
08-31-2016, 10:52 PM
Two threads now on hating Starkvegas. Definitely not feeling the love tonight.

yjnkdawg
08-31-2016, 11:27 PM

It's what you call marketing your products (MSU and Starkville), which we need more of.

dotcomdawg
08-31-2016, 11:36 PM
The marketing department is "spot on." They have a long-range plan. I love it.

They paint one of the end zones "Hail State?" Just like the basketball court putting Starkvegas. Like wtf? Why can't we just put Bulldogs? Damnit

RougeDawg
08-31-2016, 11:41 PM
TV, Twitter and Talk. If we've been ahead of the game with cutting edge in collegiate athletics,
It has been getting ahead in the inter webs act. We were first to hashtag an end zone, amongst other internet firsts. Let them go. The teeners stuck to their smartphones seem to enjoy it.

Quaoarsking
08-31-2016, 11:47 PM
I remember how 6PS melted down (and Nafoom mocked us) the first time we put a hashtag in the end zone. We were the first college football team in the country to do it.

Soon the national media start talking about how cool it was and a bunch of other schools started doing it too. Then the NCAA banned it.

lastmajordog
09-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Less is more, it truly does make MSU look like a “little” second rate school. And yes I thought the MS helmets from the mid 70’s and simple uniforms were the best. Starkvegas is a BAD move, it almost looks like the old hwy coming in from louisville....TRASHY.

WinningIsRelentless
09-01-2016, 06:54 AM
Less is more, it truly does make MSU look like a “little” second rate school. And yes I thought the MS helmets from the mid 70’s and simple uniforms were the best. Starkvegas is a BAD move, it almost looks like the old hwy coming in from louisville....TRASHY.
Let me guess you still have a pink bathroom and shag carpet in your house? Its called change and change is good.

PassInterference
09-01-2016, 06:56 AM
I remember how 6PS melted down (and Nafoom mocked us) the first time we put a hashtag in the end zone. We were the first college football team in the country to do it.

Soon the national media start talking about how cool it was and a bunch of other schools started doing it too. Then the NCAA banned it.

The NCAA should really revisit that hashtag ban.

I can understand they probably didn't want to give the Twitter platform free promotion. New flash: the hashtag isn't unique to Twitter. Facebook is doing it now. But the hashtag has been around for decades in programming circles.

There is no good reason for banning the hashtag.

Dawgface
09-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Not just you. I don't mind Hail State as it's similar to what other schools do. (War Eagle, Roll Tide etc). But as I stated in the other thread, don't care for Starkvegas. What's next.....Starksville?

mcain31
09-01-2016, 07:11 AM
It doesn't bother me. It's a recruiting and marketing tool to help MSU stand out from the rest of the pack

djaymsu5
09-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Not just you. I don't mind Hail State as it's similar to what other schools do. (War Eagle, Roll Tide etc). But as I stated in the other thread, don't care for Starkvegas. What's next.....Starksville?

Yea I mean we can all have our own opinion on those things. I mean I don't lose sleep over it but I didn't know if it was just a thing they were going to do last year or what they would do from now on but I guess I know now. I just don't know if I've ever seen war eagle or roll tide painted in their end zones. I don't mind saying Hail State. I say it all the time but it's like we don't even have a mascot anymore. I mean we are still the Bulldogs.

Maroonthirteen
09-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Two threads now on hating Starkvegas. Definitely not feeling the love tonight.

It's what State fans do best.

OM fans too...posing as Dogs.

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2016, 07:35 AM

To me, it is about embracing the things that our detractors have always knocked us for and spinning it back to them as a positive. Starkvegas, Moo U, Ag School, Cowbells, Clanga, etc. etc. If you are really paying attention to our marketing we are using a lot of these themes as platforms to sell the school and the community. Being out of state, I get much more recognition of these things now than even 15 years ago (let alone 25). I get Hail States, Starkvegas, Clanga, shout outs from random people all the time when I wear gear - or when they come in my office and my Dak SI cover and my 1996 Bama score framed with my ticket stub. I get far fewer "MS State - isn't that in Oxford" than even 5 years ago. I think it is brilliant.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Could someone post a current photo of the field? What it's looking like today.

RiverCityDawg
09-01-2016, 08:30 AM
I don't mind saying Hail State. I say it all the time but it's like we don't even have a mascot anymore. I mean we are still the Bulldogs.

It's about marketing and building a brand. There are tons of schools that are Bulldogs. Only one that says Hail State and is located in a town nicknamed Starkvegas. If you ask the common college football fan "who are the Bulldogs?" they will all say Georgia. It's fine to be the Bulldogs, but if you are building a brand that is unique to our school, it's wise to use something people identify only with us. And by the way, it's working. I live in Alabama and can tell you for a fact that "Hail State" boosts the profile of our brand outside of MS by being unique.

BB30
09-01-2016, 08:34 AM
To me, it is about embracing the things that our detractors have always knocked us for and spinning it back to them as a positive. Starkvegas, Moo U, Ag School, Cowbells, Clanga, etc. etc. If you are really paying attention to our marketing we are using a lot of these themes as platforms to sell the school and the community. Being out of state, I get much more recognition of these things now than even 15 years ago (let alone 25). I get Hail States, Starkvegas, Clanga, shout outs from random people all the time when I wear gear - or when they come in my office and my Dak SI cover and my 1996 Bama score framed with my ticket stub. I get far fewer "MS State - isn't that in Oxford" than even 5 years ago. I think it is brilliant.

It is brilliant. Non marketing folk do not get that nobody knows where Starkville is outside of the state of MS. In my mind it is no different than Oregon starting the crazy jerseys. If we were an Alabama we could get away with Plain Jane because that is a known brand. It is clearly working. The get off my lawn people need to realize it is not the 80s anymore. You can have your opinion but you can't make your opinion truth and the fact is it is working. Enrollment is up, the kids like it. It is not the universities job to cater to the older generation on every single thing. The goal of the university is to draw students and those students now days live on a smart phone and recruits like it. Why not do something that will benefit the program?

Original48
09-01-2016, 08:35 AM
I disagree on both. I love that we are marketing and embracing both Starkvegas and Hail State. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Original48
09-01-2016, 08:44 AM

...but not before OM put #HottyToddy on their basketball court. Couldn't miss out on that perception opportunity. Not sure when their last original idea was but they continue to lead the world in hypocrisy.

PassInterference
09-01-2016, 08:48 AM

Get off my lawn!

fishwater99
09-01-2016, 08:49 AM

I am okay with HailState, but the Starkvegas is too much, IMO.

BB30
09-01-2016, 08:56 AM
The good news is we are 2 days 9 hrs and 4 minutes from everyone having something else to bitch about. We have one of the best sports marketing teams in the country and that is just another thing to be proud of.

notsofarawaydawg
09-01-2016, 09:13 AM
It's what State fans do best.

OM fans too...posing as Dogs.

+1000

archdog
09-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Better than Vroom Maroon. Seriously, we need branding. Hailstate has been an underutilized part of our fandom for too long. Imagine if Bama never used roll tide. I love #hailstate. I have been greeted with a HailState in every state I have travelled since we put the hashtag on our field. That was a stroke of genius by our marketing Dept.

Boodawg
09-01-2016, 09:28 AM
I'm fine with both if it helps in marketing our product, but I do think they are cheesy. Hailstate not so much at least on the field, but Starkvegas yes. I do think it's kind of cheesy to say hailstate to other folks. To me it's somewhat like the hobby lobby that grown men and women from um shout out and actually use in a stupid cheer. Every time they do their cheer, I'm actually embarrassed for them. I'd rather say "Go Dawgs" or something similar. Maybe if I knew where Starkvegas originated I could think differently about it. Is it just because ville starts with a v and someone started saying starkvegas or is there some other meaning?

gtowndawg
09-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Count me as a huge fan for both. As a marketing professional I think it's genius. As a fan, I've not seen anything in my lifetime that caught on as quickly. Once a month (at least) here in the Memphis area someone will see my hat, sticker, shirt, whatever and say "HailState!"

I have two Starkvegas shirts and everytime I wear them someone says "Starkvegas baby!"

Embrace them. It's good for us and others identify us by them now. Of course Ole Miss hates them both...naturally.

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm fine with both if it helps in marketing our product, but I do think they are cheesy. Hailstate not so much at least on the field, but Starkvegas yes. I do think it's kind of cheesy to say hailstate to other folks. To me it's somewhat like the hobby lobby that grown men and women from um shout out and actually use in a stupid cheer. Every time they do their cheer, I'm actually embarrassed for them. I'd rather say "Go Dawgs" or something similar. Maybe if I knew where Starkvegas originated I could think differently about it. Is it just because ville starts with a v and someone started saying starkvegas or is there some other meaning?

The thing is ALL college tradition is cheesy. Roll Tide? Hotty Toddy? UGA fan painting a Bulldog on your bald head and barking constantly? Ringing a victory bell. The Tomahwak Chop. War Eagle. Painting a rock in Knoxville. Touching a rock in Death Valley. And anyone dressed as an animal in a football jersey jumping around like an idiot on speed. But they are touchstones that connect schools as communities. Those touchstones are used by the universities to evoke memories and create impressions. Name any touchstones or traditions that we used to market MSU prior to Stricklin?? Edam Cheese?

Boodawg
09-01-2016, 09:58 AM
The thing is ALL college tradition is cheesy. Roll Tide? Hotty Toddy? UGA fan painting a Bulldog on your bald head and barking constantly? Ringing a victory bell. The Tomahwak Chop. War Eagle. Painting a rock in Knoxville. Touching a rock in Death Valley. And anyone dressed as an animal in a football jersey jumping around like an idiot on speed. But they are touchstones that connect schools as communities. Those touchstones are used by the universities to evoke memories and create impressions. Name any touchstones or traditions that we used to market MSU prior to Stricklin?? Edam Cheese?

Yep, correct. Still cheesy. But like I said I am fine with whatever sells tickets and pays the bills.

Dawgtini
09-01-2016, 10:20 AM

Ditto. I think both are great and I really like the way we are both embracing them and using them.

Commercecomet24
09-01-2016, 10:53 AM

You are correct, sir! Go Dawgs was about all we had before strick. We needed something. I love HailState and Starkvegas.

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2016, 11:05 AM

I really like HAILSTATE and Starkvegas.

maroonmania
09-01-2016, 01:06 PM
I have no problem with Hail State as that has become our "official" slogan and I think it is something very unique to us. However, why would the university be pushing "Starkvegas"? I mean its a cute term and all for Starkville but that has no direct connection to the school except that Starkville is the adjoining town. I don't see the reasoning to put anything Starkville related on an MSU facility as some sort of university emblem. Not only that but Starkville and its leadership has been as much a hindrance to the advancement of MSU over the years as anything you could possibly name. Not sure why we would want the affiliation to somehow look "official". Heck, I wish we could get half the backing from "Starkvegas" as a city as UNM gets from Oxford.

Percho
09-01-2016, 02:56 PM
How do ya'll think, "Mississippi," gonna do against them Indians? The King would ask.

RocketDawg
09-01-2016, 04:40 PM

It's been around a long time ... even in the '60s. I'm not sure, but I think somebody just called it that as a humorous attempt to comparing it to Las Vegas ... and the town is just about the polar opposite of Vegas (therefore the humor). I've heard people refer to Nashville as Nashvegas too. I think both just sound dumb.

I have no problem with Hail State or the hashtag thing, but when I first saw it I had no idea what it meant. Not sure I'd heard of Twitter at the time, and still don't use it.

Given where I live, if I never hear Roll Tide again I will be very happy.

RocketDawg
09-01-2016, 04:42 PM
How do ya'll think, "Mississippi," gonna do against them Indians? The King would ask.

I think they'll get killed, but I thought the same thing against Alabama the last two years. So one never knows. I also thought they might have more trouble with Boise State, and they would have if Boise State was still a strong team when they played them.