PDA

View Full Version : Om will miss tunsil vs fsu

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:13 PM
"The task of replacing Tunsil becomes even more daunting when you compare last year's offense with and without him?a comparison made convenient by his seven-game NCAA suspension. Against Power 5 opponents (and Memphis) without Tunsil, the Rebs averaged 2.7 yards per carry, allowed three sacks per game and went 2-2. Against Power 5 foes following Tunsil?s return in Week 8, Ole Miss averaged 5.3 yards per carry, surrendered 0.8 sacks per game and went 4-1 down the stretch of the regular season (and were a fourth-and-25 away from 5-0)."

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2016/8/30/12616240/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-ole-miss-but-were-too-lazy-to

lamont
08-31-2016, 07:37 PM
They love to talk about how they beat Bama last year without Tunsil- but they fail to mention that they couldnt block Memphis or Florida when 4 of the 5 guys on the 2016 OL were starting last year.

lamont
08-31-2016, 07:41 PM
They lost 2 of their top 3 leading tacklers from last year- and are replacing those tackling Safeties with very young players. One is Heartsfield who has yet to play one down of D-1 football. Replacing that wont be easy

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:42 PM
They lost 2 of their top 3 leading tacklers from last year- and are replacing those tackling Safeties with very young players. One is Heartsfield who has yet to play one down of D-1 football. Replacing that wont be easy

I assume you're talking about Hilton and Elston who were very good players for them

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 07:43 PM
It would be tough for Alabama to replace three first round picks. I absolutely believe that they will miss all of them greatly.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:43 PM
They love to talk about how they beat Bama last year without Tunsil- but they fail to mention that they couldnt block Memphis or Florida when 4 of the 5 guys on the 2016 OL were starting last year.
And the one loss of that group (cooper) was the best by far

lastmajordog
08-31-2016, 08:14 PM
What is the general thought as to who is the weakest UNM off lineman, and who will he be going against?? In like manner who is considered UNM’s best def lineman and who will he be going against?? Finally will NOLES secondary be able to handle the UNM quick pass game?? Three honest questions....

Dolphus Raymond
08-31-2016, 08:34 PM
This game is one I can't get my arm around for the life of me. Being objective, I realize Ole Miss has a damn good QB and and good to damn good receivers as well as what should be a pretty good defense (I think). O line will be suspect (very) as well as the running game. Realistically though, they are playing FSU on the road which is a tough nut to crack. First game of the season for both. The NCAA looming large. My gut tells me FSU in a close one but my heart says FSU "stomps them like a rat in a closet". I do know this: if they lose, with Alabama and Georgia on the horizon, Freeze will have to coach his ass off to prevent a melt-down.

anubus
08-31-2016, 08:45 PM
the key will be shutting down FSU rb Cook and pressuring the hell outta their qb.Cook is used in a variety of ways making it hard to contain him. Ole Miss is looking at a murderers row of a sked and I think Memphis will be motivated to play them 1-4 would be awesome and Id love watching the season week 6 in that scenario.

lamont
08-31-2016, 08:49 PM
as well as what should be a pretty good defense (I think).

Why should they have a pretty good defense?

They were 8th in Scoring D and 9th in Total D in the SEC

They lost both Kimchees- Denzel was a top 5 tackler for them and Robert disrupted alot at times. They lost both Safeties- both were top 3 in tackles. They lost CJ Johnson and others.

They have good rush ends and their starting DT's will be pretty good. Physical teams will give them some trouble.
Their LB's are nothing special at all- but Conner is very good
Brand-spanking new Safeties- one hasnt played a down of D-1 football.

Fla State's OL is going to test their depth on their front and can their small DE's hold up to a team that can pound on you?

Dolphus Raymond
08-31-2016, 08:54 PM
Good points on Ole Miss D.
As you can tell, I am by no means even a shade-tree authority on football.

EAVdog
08-31-2016, 08:59 PM
They lost 3 first round NFL guys. Two should have been top ten picks. You don't just replace guys like that. It will hurt.

Commercecomet24
08-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Why should they have a pretty good defense?

They were 8th in Scoring D and 9th in Total D in the SEC

They lost both Kimchees- Denzel was a top 5 tackler for them and Robert disrupted alot at times. They lost both Safeties- both were top 3 in tackles tacklers. They lost CJ Johnson and others.

They have good rush ends and their starting DT's will be pretty good. Physical teams will give them some trouble.
Their LB's are nothing special at all- but Conner is very good
Brand-spanking new Safeties- one hasnt played a down of D-1 football.

Fla State's OL is going to test their depth on their front and can their small DE's hold up to a team that can pound on you?

This^^^^everyone keeps saying their defense is gonna be good but they lost some really good players off a so-so defense from last year. Also Conner has not recovered as well as they hoped. I think they're looking at a very mediocre defense this year.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2016, 10:22 PM
The 2 biggest losses on their team by far will be the 2 safetys.

Really Clark?
08-31-2016, 10:28 PM
This^^^^everyone keeps saying their defense is gonna be good but they lost some really good players off a so-so defense from last year. Also Conner has not recovered as well as they hoped. I think they're looking at a very mediocre defense this year.

I agree. And I think there biggest loss on defense was the year before last. Tom Allen was a big reason they were able to put together a really D. Without him but with a lot of the same personnel they dropped back to what Womack normally produces. League average at best. Be interesting to see if he can buck that trend this year.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 10:28 PM
The 2 biggest losses on their team by far will be the 2 safetys.

Big losses for sure, but 2 nfl OTs is big too. Not sure which is bigger

Commercecomet24
08-31-2016, 10:55 PM
I agree. And I think there biggest loss on defense was the year before last. Tom Allen was a big reason they were able to put together a really D. Without him but with a lot of the same personnel they dropped back to what Womack normally produces. League average at best. Be interesting to see if he can buck that trend this year.

That's it. Great point, I had almost forgotten that Allen left. Womack had never been a great coordinator before and when he lost Allen he returned to his normal level.

Homedawg
08-31-2016, 10:55 PM
It would be tough for Alabama to replace three first round picks. I absolutely believe that they will miss all of them greatly.

Alabama does it every year. So bad example. But yes. It will be tough for them. I do think they are going to be very good on offense and that wins them 8/9 games.

thf24
08-31-2016, 11:03 PM
I've said several times that many are forgetting how shaky Kelly looked against decent opponents until he got Tunsil back last year. I'm interested to see how he starts out behind an even weaker OL than last year pre-Tunsil.

RougeDawg
08-31-2016, 11:38 PM
They had talent, but were extremely top heavy in talent. They lost all of that. All of it!! They will have a huge drop off this year and be lucky to make a bowl. Book that one. MGK will be running for his life. And Spicechee and gang won't be there to wreak havoc. Add on top the NCAA pouring put Bucky's snake oil and I see a long season.

the59dawg
09-01-2016, 08:53 AM
I've said several times that many are forgetting how shaky Kelly looked against decent opponents until he got Tunsil back last year. I'm interested to see how he starts out behind an even weaker OL than last year pre-Tunsil.

Thot they had the no 1 OT recruit fm TX - Little to replace Tunsil.

Bubb Rubb
09-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Thot they had the no 1 OT recruit fm TX - Little to replace Tunsil.

1. He's not as good as Tunsil
2. He's a true freshman - Tunsil wasn't as great as a true freshman either

I've heard that Little isn't quite living up to expectations, even lower expectations as a true freshman.