PDA

View Full Version : Sirmon on the D

Leroy Jenkins
08-31-2016, 10:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KuJKaD4hU&app=desktop

In the last 30 seconds did it sound like we are going to play safe on the back end since we have experience issues at CB...? At least until we can be comfortable putting guys on an island the way he wants.

I know his name is Sirmon... I've never learned how to edit titles on this board.

Gutter Cobreh
08-31-2016, 10:24 AM
I interpret that as he knows they're going to get picked on regardless of scheme and he's hoping that they are in the first few games to put some plays on tape that make others question if that is the best approach.

To be honest, regardless of the injuries I think our athleticism up front would have had others going after our secondary anyway.

You'll have the LSU's of the world that are going to ride the running game, but I'm sure he hopes he has enough pressure up front and off the edge that it creates opportunities for the secondary to make some plays and hide their lack of experience.

Jack Lambert
08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
There is only one way you get experience and every experience player was an inexperience player once. You will at some point have new starters on the field. So why worry about it?

ILOATHEBears
08-31-2016, 11:36 AM
There is only one way you get experience and every experience player was an inexperience player once. You will at some point have new starters on the field. So why worry about it?

I think it's game week and the bend don't break by Mullen has finally transferred over to Sirmon. Hopefully Sirmon will win out and attack,attack attack.

Homedawg
08-31-2016, 11:42 AM
I think it's game week and the bend don't break by Mullen has finally transferred over to Sirmon. Hopefully Sirmon will win out and attack,attack attack.

Attack attack attack is a recipe for disaster w if you don't have lock down corners.

Leroy Jenkins
08-31-2016, 11:44 AM

I'm not worried. I'm interested in strategy, and what I expect to be employed early on vs later in the year.

spiral
08-31-2016, 11:49 AM
I wonder if we will use bump and run. An ESPN article on TBuck from last year says he preferred playing it. It also said this about what he looks for:

"Louisville assistant coach Terrell Buckley goes through a checklist every time he watches high school cornerbacks to determine whether they should be recruited.

Does he make plays?
What type of athlete is he?
Is he tough?
Can he backpedal? Bump and run?
What type of competition does he play against?
Nowhere on that checklist does Buckley look at size."

That makes me think he wants to run as much bump and run as he can. Do we have the current cb's to utilize bump and run though? Does Peters fit that mold? Will Dan let him run it a lot or be safe?

It will be interesting to see this weekend. If you plan to use it surely they will use it a good bit Saturday.

ILOATHEBears
08-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Attack attack attack is a recipe for disaster w if you don't have lock down corners.

That's not necessarily true if the qb is being pressured so often that they rush their timing and throws. Worst thing we could do is have guys having to defend for 5-7 seconds with no pressure by dline

HancockCountyDog
08-31-2016, 12:00 PM

Yeah, you also have to attack, attack, attack, when you can't get pressure with your front four. I think we should get tons of pressure against South Alabama with our front four, if not, we have bigger issues.

HancockCountyDog
08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
That's not necessarily true if the qb is being pressured so often that they rush their timing and throws. Worst thing we could do is have guys having to defend for 5-7 seconds with no pressure by dline

Yeah, if our DL is going to carry this team as most people believe, there is zero reason that a South Alabama QB should ever have 5-7 seconds to pass.

CadaverDawg
08-31-2016, 12:18 PM
I know his name is Sirmon... I've never learned how to edit titles on this board.

Should be able to hit "edit post", and then "Go Advanced". That should enable post title editing. I went ahead and fixed that one for you. Let me know if that doesn't work for you in the future.

SheltonChoked
08-31-2016, 12:52 PM
I always we like bump and run coverage. It should be very effective vs teams like Ole Miss that use the quick short passes. It's a lot of stress on a corner though. Have to get a good bump or your guy is gone.

HancockCountyDog
08-31-2016, 01:09 PM
I always we like bump and run coverage. It should be very effective vs teams like Ole Miss that use the quick short passes. It's a lot of stress on a corner though. Have to get a good bump or your guy is gone.

Bump and run coverage is usually reserved for truly elite corners. Personally I hope our DL is as good as everyone thinks and we get pressure with 4 and help out our inexperienced corners. Everyone does realize, Smokey is our most experienced corner. You know, the guy that was playing WR until last spring and played sparingly last year. He is our most experienced corner.

I don't like the idea of putting him and others in tough one on one situations when we should have such an advantage over most OL.

HSVDawg
08-31-2016, 05:21 PM

Yeah, you're right. You can't do that unless you have guys like Jon Banks and Darius Slay back there. Remember how aggressive we used to be with them.....oh wait nevermind we still ran the same 15 yards off the line soft ass BS that we'll probably see this year. Same goes for when we had Redmond and Calhoun too.

starkvegasdawg
08-31-2016, 05:48 PM
Wish we'd play bump and run and bump them so hard the receiver is on his back.

Homedawg
08-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah, you're right. You can't do that unless you have guys like Jon Banks and Darius Slay back there. Remember how aggressive we used to be with them.....oh wait nevermind we still ran the same 15 yards off the line soft ass BS that we'll probably see this year. Same goes for when we had Redmond and Calhoun too.

Good point on slay, although banks isn't as good of an example. He isn't and wasn't a good press guy. As for Redmond, we actually did bump and run w him a bunch. Calhoun no. Again, not a press corner.

HSVDawg
08-31-2016, 05:59 PM
Good point on slay, although banks isn't as good of an example. He isn't and wasn't a good press guy. As for Redmond, we actually did bump and run w him a bunch. Calhoun no. Again, not a press corner.

I still think it has more to do with the man at the top. You don't have to play press coverage all the time to keep WR's from getting anything under 15 yards basically for free. That's been our status quo under Mullen, vanilla cover 2 for 90% of the pass plays regardless of personnel in the defensive backfield. I certainly don't see that changing this year with a couple of newbies starting at CB and a first year DC.

Homedawg
08-31-2016, 06:01 PM

My way takes a 10-12 play drive. Your way takes 1 w below avg corners. Ask joe Lee what happens when you blitz all the time w shitty corners. You are looking for employment.

dawgs
08-31-2016, 06:06 PM

Amen. I never wish injuries on anyone, but I'm excited that the injuries to Cleveland and jiles forced Mullen to let the younger, hopefully higher ceiling guys play. Sure they might get burnt a few times deep, but I've watched Cleveland get burnt and miss tackles for 3 years, so I can't imagine them being any worse. And now they'll take some lumps this year and learn from their mistakes and give us multiple good years moving forward if they are as good as we hope they are. That's just what I don't get about mullen's personnel decisions when he seems hell bent on rewarding upper classmen who have put in the time while using the "little things" comments to keep more talented youngsters off the field, meanwhile I'm watching Cleveland get burned over and over or shumpert fumbling into the endzone or tip toeing behind the line and getting tackled for another loss, and I wonder why the upper classmen aren't getting knocked for screwing up the little things.

SallyStansbury
08-31-2016, 06:08 PM

Bingo!

Imagine if Sirmon has his own plan on D and Dan drops the "time to implement my prevent D" on him, that has to sting, or maybe they agreed on philosophy in place from the start?

I have a question for the folks more well versed on coaching.....do our D Linemen get ass chewed for getting after the QB? Is there more emphasis on occupying space, playing your lane, don't "make a mistake", etc....was it an issue with Turner not coaching our DLine to get off blocks, or is that what our DT's were effectively told to do "philosophy"? Just wondering because I foresee a shitstorm of pass completions if our DL simply engage the lineman immidiately in front of them, with no QB pressure, and our CB's play weak/soft. Just sayin, we have built up a pretty good number of years of doing just this.