PDA

View Full Version : A few practices observations

Political Hack
08-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Just a few nuggets

1. Simmons is further almong get right now than where Chris jones was ...

2. What the starting DBs lack in experience they make up for in athleticism ..

3. Offense is looking much better . With Ross and Holloway in the drills ..

4. Reggie Todd will redshirt but he is going to be very good ..

5. OL will be better than it was last year ( take that however u want)

Irondawg
08-31-2016, 09:03 AM
Did we ever find out how bad Todd was hurt?

lamont
08-31-2016, 09:06 AM
People I've talked to said that Simmons was no doubt the better player in HS.

lamont
08-31-2016, 09:07 AM
The OL will be what it is- and will crumble in big games

The positions to watch Saturday are QB, RB, and CB

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 09:08 AM
Did we ever find out how bad Todd was hurt?

Wasn't bad & he's back practicing.

Tbonewannabe
08-31-2016, 09:10 AM

The OL "might" get us to 8 or 9 wins but we are going to be dominated on the Oline against Bama and LSU. Mullen has laid a foundation of bowl games every year but I sure wish we could take the next step and start winning big games against great teams. The LSU, AU, and A&M stretch was fantastic but in hindsight those wins didn't matter like Bama or LSU normally would.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Any reports on Jesse Jackson or couch?

Tbonewannabe
08-31-2016, 09:12 AM

So which big freshman WR is going to play this year? We need size and signed 3 tall freshman so I would think maybe 1 would play this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 09:12 AM
So which big freshman WR is going to play this year? We need size and signed 3 tall freshman so I would think maybe 1 would play this year.

If any 1 of them plays it will be Couch.

mic
08-31-2016, 09:14 AM

We don't NEED size.. We need GOOD WR on the field ready to play.. If they aren't ready yet no need to burn a year just because they are over 6'2...

Maroons
08-31-2016, 09:14 AM

If by big games you mean Bama and LSU, I think almost every OL in the country will struggle against those teams this year.

Tbonewannabe
08-31-2016, 09:20 AM
We don't NEED size.. We need GOOD WR on the field ready to play.. If they aren't ready yet no need to burn a year just because they are over 6'2...

I agree but if one is ready by October then we will probably need size in redzone opportunities unless we are able to use TEs like Jordan. Bear came on as a freshman and really helped in the redzone.

Johnson85
08-31-2016, 09:21 AM
If by big games you mean Bama and LSU, I think almost every OL in the country will struggle against those teams this year.

Our Oline is going to struggle against them just about every year. What we need is for our Oline to be good enough that they don't make it impossible for us to win. Basically the only year our Oline has given us a chance against Bama was 2014. We could have won against LSU last year, but they were a pretty mediocre team when we played them and our Oline still made it really unlikely that we would win.

mic
08-31-2016, 09:21 AM
Just a few nuggets

1. Simmons is further almong get right now than where Chris jones was ...

2. What the starting DBs lack in experience they make up for in athleticism ..

3. Offense is looking much better . With Ross and Holloway in the drills ..

4. Reggie Todd will redshirt but he is going to be very good ..

5. OL will be better than it was last year ( take that however u want)

And to add, not involving this year, but heard the staff still has a HARD ON over the Sweat committ.

lamont
08-31-2016, 09:22 AM

We crumble every year against good DL's. Don't act like this is a new revelation

We got sacked 15 times between Bama and OM last year
This year we will struggle with Auburn, LSU, Bama, A&M, and probably OM. UPig's won't be bad either. That's the entire SEC West

lamont
08-31-2016, 09:23 AM
And to add, not involving this year, but heard the staff still has a HARD ON over the Sweat committ.

Definitely a huge pull.

DudyDawg
08-31-2016, 09:23 AM
I agree but if one is ready by October then we will probably need size in redzone opportunities unless we are able to use TEs like Jordan. Bear came on as a freshman and really helped in the redzone.

IIRC he's likely moving to the OL

mic
08-31-2016, 09:36 AM

No he isn't.

mic
08-31-2016, 09:37 AM

No question having a big target or 2 in the red zone is very beneficial , but let's not act like Bear had 10+ TD his frosh year , he had 3.. And our WR wasn't even in the same area code as it is now.. I am willing to bet Couch would have seen lots of action as a frosh in 2013...

lamont
08-31-2016, 09:59 AM
Ross, Gray, and Myles are top 5 in the SEC good- it's the depth that drags is down.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Ross, Gray, and Myles are top 5 in the SEC good- it's the depth that drags is down.

I would go as far as to say Ross, Gray, Myles, Dear, & Mixon are top 5 good.

mic
08-31-2016, 10:06 AM

I would add Dear to that as well..
We actually weren't that deep last year either.. Bear Morrow Brown is all we lost .
Mixon will fill one of those slots easily .. Gray more involved this year and better pro prospect than any of those 3 guys , and hopefully JJ can stay healthy ..

Bully13
08-31-2016, 10:10 AM
The way random attacks hevesy and our OL woes reminds me of how 34 used to go after stands. LOL.

Gutter Cobreh
08-31-2016, 10:16 AM

Is the HARD ON bigger or smaller compared to the one Random Poster has for our OL????

Is there anyone else secretly hoping that our OL produces to the point that he has to concede that he was wrong? I know that is a long shot to happen (the OL part, not the concession part), but I'm one to think that our scheme and play calling can drastically reduce the chances we get absolutely mauled Prescott style in the AL game last year.....

mic
08-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Whoever Random is ...can't argue with the lack of production our OL had last year..
Or the lack of recruiting the position the past years..

HancockCountyDog
08-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Man shut the bs up. Either come coach them yourself or stop bitching from the couch.

Really? That is where we are now?

bulldawg28
08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Really? That is where we are now?

That's where I am when every other post is the same message.

1bigdawg
08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Man shut the bs up. Either come coach them yourself or stop bitching from the couch.

Is this Hevesy?

PassInterference
08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
That's because it is C34. I'm convinced he's running 3 or 4 accounts now.

I ditto all the bitching about Hev. He is a liability.

DudyDawg
08-31-2016, 10:44 AM
No he isn't.

Guest I don't remember correctly then ha

Johnson85
08-31-2016, 10:52 AM

There have been several people (including me) make comments about him having to move to the OL because of course we're not going to recruit enough OL for him to stay at TE.

I don't think there's been any indication from anybody on Staff that they plan to move him to OL.

I'm still halfway expecing him to end up at OL.

Jack Lambert
08-31-2016, 10:54 AM
What no love for the water boys?

msstate7
08-31-2016, 10:56 AM
There have been several people (including me) make comments about him having to move to the OL because of course we're not going to recruit enough OL for him to stay at TE.

I don't think there's been any indication from anybody on Staff that they plan to move him to OL.

I'm still halfway expecing him to end up at OL.

All I've heard about the kid is how athletic he is. If he has the blocking skills of an olineman also, I'd rather him help seal the edge running and be a passing game threat also

MaroonFlounder
08-31-2016, 10:58 AM
You can call people out all you want for bitching about Hevesy and the O-Line, but the truth hurts. It is garbage.

MSUDawg99
08-31-2016, 11:02 AM
You can call people out all you want for bitching about Hevesy and the O-Line, but the truth hurts. It is garbage.

I was messing with him. He knows that. But there are also people who will constantly focus on everything negative about a situation & never the positive. That's not healthy, period.

oildawg
08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Sure feels good to have expectations of 7-8 wins, in a "down" year. Just think - we probably have never lost the sheer amount of talent like we just lost - and yet, we are still planning on going bowling. It is a strong statement to the level that Mullen has brought this program.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 11:17 AM

I'm not thrilled with our oline, but let's take a look at some stats...

Total offense in sec --

'15 -- 3rd
'14 -- 1st

'15 -- 10th
'14 -- 12th

Seems like our biggest problem has been defense. You hardly ever hear the bitching about any group of our defense that you do about our oline, despite the fact our oline has been serviceable enough to give us a very good offense

beretta
08-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Definitely a huge pull.

He is a huge pull, but his recruitment is far from over.....dude is a beast!!! and looks every bit that he could play nfl now......he said that he wants to be close to home so his grandparents can come watch him play....at this moment, we are the closest to his home state of georgia.....has offers from LSU and aTm.....i have a feeling he is going to have a bama, auburn, uga, and the rest of the SEC offering him before its over.....he graduates in december, and is an instant plug n play SEC starter.....hope we keep him

oildawg
08-31-2016, 11:42 AM
No doubt that defense has been our Achilles Heal recently. I am thrilled about the potential improvement. Some folks are worried about the complete new defensive staff turnover. Well, if our defense sucked, maybe a complete turnover of coaches ain't such a bad thing!!!

Bothrops
08-31-2016, 12:13 PM

One name I haven't seen mentioned all camp long is Osiris Mitchell. I knew Todd was a stud, but what about Mitchell?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 12:16 PM
One name I haven't seen mentioned all camp long is Osiris Mitchell. I knew Todd was a stud, but what about Mitchell?

I think everybody just knew he was going to RS so his name doesn't get brought up much. He's had his moments but needed the RS year to develop & get stronger.

Bodawg
08-31-2016, 01:22 PM
I think everybody just knew he was going to RS so his name doesn't get brought up much. He's had his moments but needed the RS year to develop & get stronger.
Yea, 6' 4", 190 lbs. Needs some work in the weight room. Washington came in at 185. Now, after redshirt, he's listed at 225.

MaroonFlounder
08-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Defense better be good this year, because we will not be near the top of the conference offensively.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-31-2016, 03:30 PM

Total offense in sec --

'15 -- 3rd
'14 -- 1st

'15 -- 10th
'14 -- 12th

Seems like our biggest problem has been defense. You hardly ever hear the bitching about any group of our defense that you do about our oline, despite the fact our oline has been serviceable enough to give us a very good offense

Are those SEC game only stats or stats from all games?

TrapGame
08-31-2016, 03:53 PM
Defense better be good this year, because we will not be near the top of the conference offensively.

Not one real game snap yet and we all Woody McCorvey. Hold on Hoss. We got the tools and if the OL is improved we'll do better than you think.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Are those SEC game only stats or stats from all games?

All games. Here's conference only rankings....

'15 offense -- #2
'14 offense -- #2

'15 defense -- #12
'14 defense -- #9

grinnindawg
08-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Don't be bringing your facts up in here.

These folks needed a head on a pike for us not winning the SEC last year.

They've chosen Hevesy as the evil villain that's obviously the cause of all our woes.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2016, 04:47 PM
Well he damn sure ain't a stud

msstate7
08-31-2016, 05:03 PM

They've chosen Hevesy as the evil villain that's obviously the cause of all our woes.

I didn't post this to say hev is blameless or that the defense is to blame. I was just saying the oline hasn't been the only weak link on our team

Turfdawg67
08-31-2016, 05:16 PM

And you don't be bringing all that logic to this message board either!

basedog
08-31-2016, 05:35 PM
I'd like to know if Fitz showed leadership? I have a friend who thinks he is not and players don't like him.

Wish someone would comment about this as I don't believe he is a problem. His problem is he hasn't played QB very long.

tireddawg
08-31-2016, 05:42 PM

Total offense in sec --

'15 -- 3rd
'14 -- 1st

'15 -- 10th
'14 -- 12th

Dak

Joe Schmedlap
08-31-2016, 05:52 PM

Riddle me this: is there a weaker link in the program than Hevesey?

grinnindawg
08-31-2016, 06:04 PM
I have no idea of his value or lack there of to the program.
Unless you work for the FB team, it's unlikely you really know either.
I've worked with folks who seem worse than worthless. Then I visit a customer with them and realize how useful they are.
All I know about Hevesy is hearsay.

Yes I think there are likely weaker links.
That's the point of noting we were 2nd in offense in the SEC in SEC games last year.

Here's a few things I'd say are "weaker links":
Dan getting tighter than Dick's hat band for games he doesn't think we are going to win. (Dak too).
Playing time being based more on seniority than it needs to be.
The offensive staff deciding to block Bama & OM defensive front with 5. Over and over again.
Last year, I'd say the defense.

The last 2 years of offense have been incredible by State's standards.
To not give any credit to the OL coach over those 2 years is stupid.

When over and over you denigrate someone it's like an echo chamber.
As I said, he's the mean old coach that the recruits don't like so everything must be his fault.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 06:09 PM

Maybe, maybe not, but I think CB could more of a problem than oline this year. Is that hev's fault too?

lamont
08-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Here are some more facts:

We were 6th in Scoring for SEC-only- with a schedule that included playing the 13th, 12th, 11th, and 10th worst defenses in the SEC

Against Bama, LSU, A&M, and OM- we scored 6, 19, 17, and 27- 17.5 per game. That doesnt cut it in big games. Not in today's football

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:08 PM

We were 6th in Scoring for SEC-only- with a schedule that included playing the 13th, 12th, 11th, and 10th worst defenses in the SEC

Against Bama, LSU, A&M, and OM- we scored 6, 19, 17, and 27- 17.5 per game. That doesnt cut it in big games. Not in today's football

We also played the top 2 scoring defenses in the sec. We didn't score against bama, but gained 393 yards which is over 100 yards more than they allowed per game. Got to score though... I get that.

Against the 2nd best scoring defense in the sec, we scored 31 against mizzou.

Vs aTm, we had 2 costly fumbles that hurt us. We had over 400 yards of offense, but gave up over 500

Without Dak, we would've gotten killed by lsu and om last year, but he really let us down a few plays vs them that hurt us. Please don't take this as me blaming Dak bc we would've had no shot without him.

Really Clark?
08-31-2016, 07:26 PM

Wait a minute now. Those bad defense in the SEC that we played, everybody in the west played similar numbers. The bottom half of the league in scoring defense was LSU, MS ST, UNM, Kentucky, Auburn, AR, and So Car. Crap man everybody in the west was guaranteed to play at least 3 if not more bottom defenses in scoring average.

I'm also sure that those scoring defensive numbers in conference only games have nothing to do with the fact 5 of the top 6 scoring offenses in SEC only games just so happened to be from the SEC West. I'm sure that has no coorelation to the defensive numbers at all. Good grief.

lamont
08-31-2016, 07:30 PM
We also played the top 2 scoring defenses in the sec. We didn't score against bama, but gained 393 yards which is over 100 yards more than they allowed per game. Got to score though... I get that.

Against the 2nd best scoring defense in the sec, we scored 31 against mizzou.

Vs aTm, we had 2 costly fumbles that hurt us. We had over 400 yards of offense, but gave up over 500

Without Dak, we would've gotten killed by lsu and om last year, but he really let us down a few plays vs them that hurt us. Please don't take this as me blaming Dak bc we would've had no shot without him.

We've struggled to score in big SEC games under Mullen. That cant be denied.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:34 PM
We've struggled to score in big SEC games under Mullen. That cant be denied.

It certainly can't... We have to do better

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 07:36 PM

Here's the other fact- we struggled against those defenses last year with a NFL caliber starting QB starting for us.

msbulldog
08-31-2016, 07:38 PM

Maybe so, maybe not, have you seen any practices?

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 07:38 PM
I have no idea of his value or lack there of to the program.
Unless you work for the FB team, it's unlikely you really know either.
I've worked with folks who seem worse than worthless. Then I visit a customer with them and realize how useful they are.
All I know about Hevesy is hearsay.

Yes I think there are likely weaker links.
That's the point of noting we were 2nd in offense in the SEC in SEC games last year.

Here's a few things I'd say are "weaker links":
Dan getting tighter than Dick's hat band for games he doesn't think we are going to win. (Dak too).
Playing time being based more on seniority than it needs to be.
The offensive staff deciding to block Bama & OM defensive front with 5. Over and over again.
Last year, I'd say the defense.

The last 2 years of offense have been incredible by State's standards.
To not give any credit to the OL coach over those 2 years is stupid.

When over and over you denigrate someone it's like an echo chamber.
As I said, he's the mean old coach that the recruits don't like so everything must be his fault.

I disagree about Hevesy because he is a huge albatross. That said I agree with the rest of your post and it was solid even though I disagree about Hevesy.

grinnindawg
08-31-2016, 07:48 PM
We do.
My hope is whoever the QB is plays loose.
A little more Stabler/Favre than Peyton/Rivers.

I'd like a QB who is a counterpoint to Dan's nervousness in big games.

That or we need to install a beer fridge in the locker room.
Take 2 before big games.

Jarius
08-31-2016, 07:59 PM
I didn't post this to say hev is blameless or that the defense is to blame. I was just saying the oline hasn't been the only weak link on our team

You are right. Oline hasn't been the only weak link. The difference is that the weak links get processed on the other side of the ball, but the weak links on offense get a pass (or Hev does anyway).

chef dixon
08-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Mullen has proven himself to be one of the best offensive minds in college football. That can't be denied based on his track record and how he's transformed MSU into uncharted offensive territory. There is no doubt though that we haven't had the studs on the O-line to compete with the big boys consistently.

munk_munk92
08-31-2016, 08:11 PM
I believe that's the difference between us and the team up north. They play loose and relaxed in the big games when we don't. If we would just let it go, the guys may pull a few of them games off.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:19 PM
I believe that's the difference between us and the team up north. They play loose and relaxed in the big games when we don't. If we would just let it go, the guys may pull a few of them games off.

Are you suggesting our team get high before games?**

I just don?t want someone to fall out of a window.

lamont
08-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Mullen has proven himself to be one of the best offensive minds in college football. That can't be denied based on his track record and how he's transformed MSU into uncharted offensive territory. There is no doubt though that we haven't had the studs on the O-line to compete with the big boys consistently.

I'm not shorting Mullen- because he does have a good offensive mind- but every team in college football except LSU is in uncharted offensive territory. We are in the Offensive Age of Football

In 2008- Only 5 SEC teams averaged 23 or more PPG
IN 2015- 11 teams averaged 23 or more points

In 2008- 6 teams averaged 350 yard per game or more
In 2015- 11 teams did

Its a new age and every school is setting offensive records- not just us

Really Clark?
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Are you suggesting our team get high before games?**

I just don?t want someone to fall out of a window.

Na. Just maybe pass out some "special" brownies to Hev. Especially on recruiting trips. You know he won't pass up eating some brownies while riding around.

MaroonFlounder
08-31-2016, 08:28 PM
O-line is way more of a concern than CB. The pressure by our DL and LBs will help the corners.

Reason2succeed
08-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Can the mods start a Hevesy bashing forum so the rest of us don't have to see it every single day? We get it. You think he sucks and needs to be fired. Next!

msbulldog
09-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Can the mods start a Hevesy bashing forum so the rest of us don't have to see it every single day? We get it. You think he sucks and needs to be fired. Next!

I like it.

Dawgface
09-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Not according to Mullen.

Or a suggestion box to be sent to Mullen. I'm sure he will be more than happy to take note of all the suggestions. ;)

DownwardDawg
09-01-2016, 08:11 AM

This is a great idea!

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Convert it to a Cohen bunt bashing forum for baseball season, and it may be the most popular forum on the interwebs.

the59dawg
09-01-2016, 08:59 AM

Yep. All one needs to see is the pregame behavior of the rebs for last yrs egg bowl compared to ours. I could sense it would not be a good day for the Dawgs. Rebs were more than loose. Made me sick to see all their dancing and prancing. They were loose!