PDA

View Full Version : Per Twitter Cory Thomas will likely start

Todd4State
08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
At one of the DE with Nelson Adams at NT and AJ Jefferson at DE.

Sounds like Peters has been practicing at corner all week as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-30-2016, 06:40 PM
He must not know he's a Soph & Dale is a Sr. This is impossible**

msstate7
08-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Peters was given a look at wr and now CB. Has he been ineffective at safety, buried at safety, or what?

RocketDawg
08-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Just read that Damien Williams and Nick Fitzgerald will split time at QB. I suspect that Williams will start so he can say he's been a starter.

msstate7
08-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Is Simmons playing de?

Big4Dawg
08-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Simmons is DT i believe.

gravedigger
08-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Peters was given a look at wr and now CB. Has he been ineffective at safety, buried at safety, or what?

Huh? You don't get a look or anything else at CB if you cannot play safety. We are just trying to make sure an all world athlete is looked at from every angle.

Q Culbertson started as a safety, wanted to be a corner, and made the NFL as a LB.

msstate7
08-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Huh? You don't get a look or anything else at CB if you cannot play safety. We are just trying to make sure an all world athlete is looked at from every angle.

Q Culbertson started as a safety, wanted to be a corner, and made the NFL as a LB.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong... Doesn't seem like if peters was expected to be an impact player at safety we'd be looking at him at other positions. I could certainly be wrong. I am often

War Machine Dawg
08-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Q isn't a great comparison. He had a horrific knee injury that stole his speed and athleticism. Q moved to LB out of necessity. To his credit, he worked his ass off and found a way to excel there. That's how talented he was. But had he not suffered the injury, he would've stayed at safety.

msbulldog
08-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Is Simmons playing de?

Simmons is suspended 1st game.

msstate7
08-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Simmons is suspended 1st game.

Yeah, I know. Just wondering where he's playing though

DogsofAnarchy
08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Simmons is playing NT behind Nelson Adams but not this week because he is suspended.

Yeah, I know. Just wondering where he's playing though

mic
08-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Don't worry if Simmons "starts" he will see plenty of snaps ...

Spiderman
08-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Is Simmons playing de?

Simmons will be playing the 4-4i tech

HoopsCoach21
08-30-2016, 08:49 PM
So will Calvin be at viper or DE...or both?

ETA - Glad to see Corey Thomas step up and compete for a starting position. I was hoping to see big things from him and speaks well of our DLs future. Lots of potential in that group (Thomas, Simmons, Mullins, Adams, Jones, Sweat). Exiting to think about.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-30-2016, 09:10 PM
Cory Thomas is one of our more improved players.

msstate7
08-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Exiting to think about.

After you think about it, log back on and tell us what you came up with ;)

Dallas_Dawg
08-30-2016, 09:27 PM
What about Nick James?

Really Clark?
08-30-2016, 09:50 PM
What about Nick James?

He will be doing a little extra running this week in preparation for next weeks game.***

confucius say
08-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Simmons will be playing the 4-4i tech

Well then that's d end then.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 12:52 AM
He must not know he's a Soph & Dale is a Sr. This is impossible**

If Dan improves with his personnel management I will be the first to give him credit for changing. I like Thomas starting at DE. I'll hold off until Saturday about the personnel management and we actually see who starts. I'm glad we are having a legit QB battle. Running back doesn't sound as encouraging but I've also heard that Williams will play more. Coman will hopefully play less but at least we are looking at different positions for Peters since we are adamant about Coman playing most of the time despite his catch and react defensive style. Hopefully we see Gray in the slot at least some. Those are the main moves that I think we should make which is significantly less than this time last year.

And once certain players graduate I think we will have even less of an issue next year.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 12:55 AM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong... Doesn't seem like if peters was expected to be an impact player at safety we'd be looking at him at other positions. I could certainly be wrong. I am often

He's a freakish athlete that we are trying to find a spot for him on the field. I hope corner works out because then we could potentially get McLaurin, Bryant, and Peters all on the field at the same time next year if Bryant doesn't go pro.

Johnson85
08-31-2016, 07:40 AM
If Dan improves with his personnel management I will be the first to give him credit for changing. I like Thomas starting at DE. I'll hold off until Saturday about the personnel management and we actually see who starts. I'm glad we are having a legit QB battle. Running back doesn't sound as encouraging but I've also heard that Williams will play more. Coman will hopefully play less but at least we are looking at different positions for Peters since we are adamant about Coman playing most of the time despite his catch and react defensive style. Hopefully we see Gray in the slot at least some. Those are the main moves that I think we should make which is significantly less than this time last year.

And once certain players graduate I think we will have even less of an issue next year.

I have no desire to see Gray in the slot. I want Dear to have his touches maximized, and between Gray, Ross, and Myles, Gray seems to be the best fit outside.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 08:29 AM
I have no desire to see Gray in the slot. I want Dear to have his touches maximized, and between Gray, Ross, and Myles, Gray seems to be the best fit outside.

Totally agree. Gray is a monster outside & will show it this year plus like you said I hope Ross ends up outside more so we can get more Dear & Mixon in the slot.

RiverCityDawg
08-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Coman will hopefully play less but at least we are looking at different positions for Peters since we are adamant about Coman playing most of the time despite his catch and react defensive style. Hopefully we see Gray in the slot at least some.

You could probably save yourself the heartburn and give up on Peters taking Coman's job (or Coman playing less) and Gray playing in the slot. There has never been any evidence ever to suggest that those things will happen. Through two safeties coaches and two DC's Coman has not only kept his job but supposedly strengthened his grip on it. Sirmon was asked about "the three great safeties" in a recent interview to which he then referenced Coman, McLaurin and Bryant as if that's who the interviewer was talking about. Sirmon didn't even mention Peters. He's clearly behind the others for whatever reason. And Donald Gray has never played slot in a college game and is being depended on on the outside, where we are the thinnest. You can leave those horse carcasses alone at this point.

Maroons
08-31-2016, 09:07 AM

Not sure what you watched last year. Coman is a good player and at this point is better than Peters and McLaurin.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 09:54 AM

Very simple- run a four WR set with Ross and Myles on the outside and Dear and Gray in the slot. I'm not sure but my guess is we ran four receiver sets almost a majority of the time. At least I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 09:56 AM
You could probably save yourself the heartburn and give up on Peters taking Coman's job (or Coman playing less) and Gray playing in the slot. There has never been any evidence ever to suggest that those things will happen. Through two safeties coaches and two DC's Coman has not only kept his job but supposedly strengthened his grip on it. Sirmon was asked about "the three great safeties" in a recent interview to which he then referenced Coman, McLaurin and Bryant as if that's who the interviewer was talking about. Sirmon didn't even mention Peters. He's clearly behind the others for whatever reason. And Donald Gray has never played slot in a college game and is being depended on on the outside, where we are the thinnest. You can leave those horse carcasses alone at this point.

Well Peters has been playing corner so that likely explains that. And that is a move I am optimistic about.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 10:02 AM
Very simple- run a four WR set with Ross and Myles on the outside and Dear and Gray in the slot. I'm not sure but my guess is we ran four receiver sets almost a majority of the time. At least I wouldn't be surprised if we did.

If we went 4 wide I'd want Ross & Gray on the outside with Myles & Dear on the inside.

HancockCountyDog
08-31-2016, 10:51 AM
Are we really going to go four wide a bunch this season? I really thought we were getting back to RTGDF?

msstate7
08-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Are we really going to go four wide a bunch this season? I really thought we were getting back to RTGDF?

If fitz is as talented a runner as I've heard, 4-wide may be a great formation to run him out of

tcdog70
08-31-2016, 10:55 AM

why are you obsessed with Gray in the slot. He has never played in the slot. We have an abundance of slot receivers. Gray will be a great wide out-Ross-Dear-and Mixon can take care of the slot. I also have faith that Sirmon's staff will play our best 2 players at corner. Take a breath and watch Saturday then let's talk about it.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 11:10 AM

No I don't expect that I was just responding to his post.

basedog
08-31-2016, 11:27 AM
If we went 4 wide I'd want Ross & Gray on the outside with Myles & Dear on the inside.

I agree.

Bothrops
08-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Our D-line is coming.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 07:31 PM
why are you obsessed with Gray in the slot. He has never played in the slot. We have an abundance of slot receivers. Gray will be a great wide out-Ross-Dear-and Mixon can take care of the slot. I also have faith that Sirmon's staff will play our best 2 players at corner. Take a breath and watch Saturday then let's talk about it.

Because Gray can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOuxUMGEOoY

Tavon Austin as you see in the video is lined up outside, in the slot, and at running back at times as well as returning punts. Austin is 5'8" compared to Gray's 5'9". Austin is faster at 4.3 in the 40 but per Gray's recruiting profile he runs a 4.4 40 so not that much different in terms of skill set assuming the 40 times are accurate. I'm not saying that Gray is as good as Austin- but that we could maximize our talent by using him the same way. Rather than just at outside WR.

Same with Dear except I would compare him to Percy Harvin and how Florida used him. We should use Dear in the slot and also at running back.

I just want us to maximize our talent and the fact of the matter is the trend in football is hybrid players that can play more than one position on the field. I just feel like we are limiting ourselves if we don't take advantage of all of our players skill sets rather than pigeon holing a guy as "THE slot WR" or "you play outside WR because that's all you have ever done in your life".

This isn't any different than Omarr Conner would have been maximized better in the spread option as opposed to the WCO argument.

That's why I praised the staff for at least looking at using Peters at different positions. Jamal at corner may not work. We'll all take a deep breath Saturday and see. But if it does work all of a sudden we have a guy with a skill set that might be used at CB/S and maybe even LB because of his size. That's why I love what they are doing with Gerri Green too- Viper is PERFECT for him. And same with Smitherman- I like how they plan on using him as a hybrid CB/S/Nickle. And if Desper is playing left guard as opposed to right guard I like that move as well.

I felt like last year we were really bad with personnel. However based on what we know now I would say that the staff has improved in that category and if they do indeed follow through with it as I think they will I'll give them credit for that even if it's not totally perfect IMO.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 07:34 PM

We'll see. My point was it is possible to have more than one slot WR on the field and that we're not opposed to having more than one slot WR in the formation.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Because Gray can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOuxUMGEOoY

Tavon Austin as you see in the video is lined up outside, in the slot, and at running back at times as well as returning punts. Austin is 5'8" compared to Gray's 5'9". Austin is faster at 4.3 in the 40 but per Gray's recruiting profile he runs a 4.4 40 so not that much different in terms of skill set assuming the 40 times are accurate. I'm not saying that Gray is as good as Austin- but that we could maximize our talent by using him the same way. Rather than just at outside WR.

Same with Dear except I would compare him to Percy Harvin and how Florida used him. We should use Dear in the slot and also at running back.

I just want us to maximize our talent and the fact of the matter is the trend in football is hybrid players that can play more than one position on the field. I just feel like we are limiting ourselves if we don't take advantage of all of our players skill sets rather than pigeon holing a guy as "THE slot WR" or "you play outside WR because that's all you have ever done in your life".

This isn't any different than Omarr Conner would have been maximized better in the spread option as opposed to the WCO argument.

That's why I praised the staff for at least looking at using Peters at different positions. Jamal at corner may not work. We'll all take a deep breath Saturday and see. But if it does work all of a sudden we have a guy with a skill set that might be used at CB/S and maybe even LB because of his size. That's why I love what they are doing with Gerri Green too- Viper is PERFECT for him. And same with Smitherman- I like how they plan on using him as a hybrid CB/S/Nickle. And if Desper is playing left guard as opposed to right guard I like that move as well.

I felt like last year we were really bad with personnel. However based on what we know now I would say that the staff has improved in that category and if they do indeed follow through with it as I think they will I'll give them credit for that even if it's not totally perfect IMO.

Gray can also do this & has done it his entire career

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYZclgoS2c&vidve=5727&autoplay=1

Also you have Keith Mixon who better fits the Tavon Austin role than Gray does.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 07:56 PM
Any chance gray returns punts? Wasn't he electric as a PR in juco?

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Gray can also do this & has done it his entire career

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYZclgoS2c&vidve=5727&autoplay=1

Also you have Keith Mixon who better fits the Tavon Austin role than Gray does.

In the video you put up, Smith was lined up in the slot in a few of those clips. All wide receivers should be able to play the slot at least some if asked to do so. It’s not like asking someone to go from quarterback to defensive end. I don’t see a reason why Gray couldn’t do it even if he has played outside WR his whole life.

I think Smith is an exception to the rule. Most of the WR’s on the NFL top 100 list this year were listed at over 6’0”. Most of the ones that weren’t mostly played in the slot. And there is a reason for that. And it’s not because they played slot WR their whole life. Comparing Gray to Smith is a lot like comparing Henig to Doug Flutie.

The fact of the matter is, a short outside WR limits to a degree what you can call especially in the red zone. You look at Smith’s highlight video- as great as he is a majority of the highlights were from outside the red zone. And without Dak I’m not sure how much we can afford to limit ourselves.

I can see Mixon compared to Austin to a large degree because we will likely use him as a running back more than we would with Gray. I think Mixon will eventually replace Holloway as the speed threat in our offense- playing more at WR than Holloway of course.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:16 PM

Yes, and ironically he had never done it before in his life until JUCO.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
In the video you put up, Smith was lined up in the slot in a few of those clips. All wide receivers should be able to play the slot at least some if asked to do so. It?s not like asking someone to go from quarterback to defensive end. I don?t see a reason why Gray couldn?t do it even if he has played outside WR his whole life.

I think Smith is an exception to the rule. Most of the WR?s on the NFL top 100 list this year were listed at over 6?0?. Most of the ones that weren?t mostly played in the slot. And there is a reason for that. And it?s not because they played slot WR their whole life. Comparing Gray to Smith is a lot like comparing Henig to Doug Flutie.

The fact of the matter is, a short outside WR limits to a degree what you can call especially in the red zone. You look at Smith?s highlight video- as great as he is a majority of the highlights were from outside the red zone. And without Dak I?m not sure how much we can afford to limit ourselves.

I can see Mixon compared to Austin to a large degree because we will likely use him as a running back more than we would with Gray. I think Mixon will eventually replace Holloway as the speed threat in our offense- playing more at WR than Holloway of course.

I get what you're saying but we all fell in love with Gray because of what he did in Juco where he only played outside. I think Gray is closer to Steve Smith than Tavon Austin. Steve Smith 5'9" 195lbs & Gray is 5'10" 204lbs. I agree our WR should know all positions but I think Gray is best outside & after this season everyone will see why.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 08:27 PM

Yes he was very electric but he also muffed a few. If he get those squared away he'd be a big time weapon. Have to catch it 1st though.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
I get what you're saying but we all fell in love with Gray because of what he did in Juco where he only played outside. I think Gray is closer to Steve Smith than Tavon Austin. Steve Smith 5'9" 195lbs & Gray is 5'10" 204lbs. I agree our WR should know all positions but I think Gray is best outside & after this season everyone will see why.

I think you have to look at the skill set and not the position. A lot of college and MLB prospects play shortstop in high school. That doesn't mean that they should play shortstop or only play shortstop in college or pro ball.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 08:33 PM
I think you have to look at the skill set and not the position. A lot of college and MLB prospects play shortstop in high school. That doesn't mean that they should play shortstop or only play shortstop in college or pro ball.

But you do play the one at SS that's the best at SS. Maybe gray is the best we have at his position

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 08:33 PM

I am. Look at his skill set from Co-Lin & last year. He routinely won 1 on 1 battles outside & has plenty strength, hands, & speed. He wins just as much with his strength as he does with his speed.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:36 PM
But you do play the one at SS that's the best at SS. Maybe gray is the best we have at his position

Yes, but if he's 6'5" you put him at first base or third base. And yes, I have seen 6'5" shortstops at the high school level- rarely- before.

Todd4State
08-31-2016, 08:37 PM
I am. Look at his skill set from Co-Lin & last year. He routinely won 1 on 1 battles outside & has plenty strength, hands, & speed. He wins just as much with his strength as he does with his speed.

I've seen his video. His strength and speed can be even more difficult for a safety or linebacker to cover as well. Especially on option routes.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-31-2016, 08:42 PM
I've seen his video. His strength and speed can be even more difficult for a safety or linebacker to cover as well. Especially on option routes.

We're just going to agree to disagree. When I see him play all I see is Steve Smith not a Tavon Austin type.

HoopsDawg
08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Gotta get our best 3 on the field and that means Gray and Ross outside with Dear/Mixon in the slot.

Dallas_Dawg
08-31-2016, 09:19 PM
We're just going to agree to disagree. When I see him play all I see is Steve Smith not a Tavon Austin type.

I see Randall Cobb. He's jacked like Cobb and can jump.

msstate7
08-31-2016, 09:33 PM
Gotta get our best 3 on the field and that means Gray and Ross outside with Dear/Mixon in the slot.

Myles was productive in the slot last year. Don't think he can do it out wide?