PDA

View Full Version : 4 MSU players in PFF top 101 NFL players, 0 UNM players

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
08-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Pro Football Focus provides the best info on player performance, using metrics to grade every NFL player based on production each year. As opposed to NFL network's top 100 who basically take a player survey, making it nothing more than a popularity contest. This particular list is a list of the best 101 players based on CAREER production.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-101-best-nfl-players-right-now/

That being said, PFF ranks 4 Hail State players in the top 101 NFL players
28. Fletcher Cox
41. Pernell McPhee
71. Darius Slay
73. KJ Wright

And what is the best part of this list? No, not that UNM has 0 elite players in the NFL, which speaks major volumes about their development of "elite" high school players. The best part is that all 4 of these guys have room to move up. McPhee is the oldest at 27, Cox and Slay only 25, meaning all 4 should be reaching their prime.

Cox is moving from a two-gap to a one-gap system, meaning he'll be able to turn lose, be more disruptive, & rack up more stats. McPhee can be a top 50 player for at least 3 more years. Slay is becoming known as a shutdown corner, and teams will throw his way less and less, further sealing his reputation. Wright is just now getting out of Bobby Wagner's shadow, proving himself as one of the leaders of the NFL's best defense.

BrunswickDawg
08-30-2016, 08:40 AM
We also have a lot of Rookie and 2nd year players making impacts that will probably pop up on this list in the near future - Chris Jones, Dak, Will Redmond, Preston Smith

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-30-2016, 08:44 AM
This should send a STRONG message to recruits. Ole Miss cheats to get top players but can't develop any of them. We on the other hand take project 2 and 3 stars and turn them into real stars!!

Beaver
08-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Eli has really taken a nose dive the past couple of seasons...

mcain31
08-30-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't think that high school players pay attention to PFF unless it's for fantasy football

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Eli has really taken a nose dive the past couple of seasons...

Throwing as many picks as he has the past few seasons, he is probably lucky his last name is Manning.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Was thinking the other day: does any other school have a better combination of players at each level of NFL defense?

DT: Fletcher Cox

DE: Preston Smith

LB: KJ Wright
LB: McPhee

DB: Slay & Will Redmond

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Was thinking the other day: does any other school have a better combination of players at each level of NFL defense?

You would think Bama maybe but I really can't think of big impact players except at LB and maybe Safety.

sleepy dawg
08-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Throwing as many picks as he has the past few seasons, he is probably lucky his last name is Manning.

I only remember him ever having 1 really good season in his career, when compared to other starters at QB in the league.

TexasDawg
08-30-2016, 09:45 AM

Georgia does:

DL: Geno Atkins

LB: Justin Houston
LB: Thomas Davis

DB: Reshad Jones

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2016, 09:57 AM
I only remember him ever having 1 really good season in his career, when compared to other starters at QB in the league.

Eli has really benefited from having fantastic receivers. That one superbowl was won by his receivers making insane catches on really shitty throws.

HSVDawg
08-30-2016, 10:12 AM
What is weird is that Mullen is known as an offensive coach, but most all of the impact guys he has put in the league are defensive guys. Dak is really the first one to break that mold. I guess maybe you could count Boobie or Derek Sherrod, but neither of those guys were big impact players and were Croom recruits anyways.

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2016, 10:17 AM
What is weird is that Mullen is known as an offensive coach, but most all of the impact guys he has put in the league are defensive guys. Dak is really the first one to break that mold. I guess maybe you could count Boobie or Derek Sherrod, but neither of those guys were big impact players and were Croom recruits anyways.

Vic Ballard was but injuries took him down. He is the last RB to run for 100 yards for the Colts.

missouridawg
08-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Don't sleep on McKinney either... He is going to have a huge year in Houston.