PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Says the Starter is "Nick Williams"

SouthMSDog
08-29-2016, 01:42 PM
:mad:

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
08-29-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm even more upset that Fitz didn't win the job. Absolutely no excuse for him not to put the extra effort in being the new Leader..

HoopsDawg
08-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Mullen is so funny.

fishwater99
08-29-2016, 01:48 PM
I hear Fitz has some things he needs to work on off the field to get on Dan's good side..

Irondawg
08-29-2016, 01:57 PM
The QB and RB are both troubling b/c the talent isn't rising to the top. That coupled with Mullen's fear of youthful mistakes is going to limit our upside.

That said it also limits our downside and I get the feeling the Mullen is going to see if the defense coupled with getting our slot guys in space is enough to win most of the games. If after a few games the O is really struggling I think you'll see a massive youth movement in the backfield and we're going to find out if Williams, Gibson or Murphy can be workhorse and if Tiano is the guy or not

EAVdog
08-29-2016, 02:00 PM
I still can't believe people get worked up over this stuff. Damian Williams has seniority, he'll start. Probably play a series, and then Fitz goes in for a series. Whoever plays better moves forward. This game is basically a scrimmage.

And before everyone loses their collective minds it WILL be much closer than most want to see. Unless USA is just atrocious. We'll probably play 85 different guys.

TrapGame
08-29-2016, 02:04 PM
And before everyone loses their collective minds it WILL be much closer than most want to see. Unless USA is just atrocious. We'll probably play 85 different guys.

This usually sends everybody into cardiac arrest.

mstatefan91
08-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Just don't lose. Lose this game and well... 5-7 here we come! Choo choo!

Johnson85
I still can't believe people get worked up over this stuff. Damian Williams has seniority, he'll start. Probably play a series, and then Fitz goes in for a series. Whoever plays better moves forward. This game is basically a scrimmage.

People get worked up because whoever the QB is needs to get reps. People want it to be Fitz because he actually has some upside. If Fitz is really screwing around, then there's not much to do other than what Dan is doing.

If Fitz had clearly won the starting position and Dan was giving away reps just for seniority, I would be upset by that. Unfortunately, I don't think that's what's happening.

confucius say
The QB competition starts Saturday at 11.

HoopsDawg
08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
The QB and RB are both troubling b/c the talent isn't rising to the top. That coupled with Mullen's fear of youthful mistakes is going to limit our upside.

That said it also limits our downside and I get the feeling the Mullen is going to see if the defense coupled with getting our slot guys in space is enough to win most of the games. If after a few games the O is really struggling I think you'll see a massive youth movement in the backfield and we're going to find out if Williams, Gibson or Murphy can be workhorse and if Tiano is the guy or not

We should have good special teams this year too. Returning Punter, Kicker, Long snapper, and return guys. We also have a lot of RB's and LB's that should provided good coverage. If we can get decent corner play (a Big IF) and not turn the ball over, we will win our fair share.

thf24
08-29-2016, 02:16 PM

Forget 5-7, if we lose this game we could be looking at 2-10.

missouridawg
I don't get why this bothers people so much. The longer our opponents don't know who the starter is, the better.

If there is one thing I can assure you, it's that we will play one QB on every play next week. Guaranteed.

louisvilledawg

If we lose to South Alabama who is forced to start their backups on D line since all starters are out for the year, we won't even sniff 5-7

mic
08-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Lose the game?? Come on man..

Liverpooldawg
08-29-2016, 02:23 PM
The QB competition starts Saturday at 11.

THIS. Y'all are getting all worked up about one guy who hasn't taken a snap in 2 years, one who has never really taken a meaningful snap in college, and one who has never taken a snap in college. I'm talking about actual game snaps. Why don't we wait till we actually see them in a game this year before we start freaking out about it. In all honesty that's the only reason I'm going Saturday. I want to see how the QBs look. I expect we will see all three, and we should.

JoseBrown
08-29-2016, 02:30 PM
He also said Shump n Holloway will be main focus on RB's, then slid Aeris in there too. Said if the younger guys want to play they will have to earn it on ST's.

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 02:39 PM

It's funny how the underclassmen always have these major issues that keep them off the field until the upperclassmen graduate.

mstatefan91
08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Lose the game?? Come on man..

I don't think we will.

Just saying that if we did, best case... blah blah blah

Just win

mstatefan91
08-29-2016, 02:45 PM
If we lose to South Alabama who is forced to start their backups on D line since all starters are out for the year, we won't even sniff 5-7

Hadn't realized this. Haven't been on the boards much the past couple of months.

TrapGame
08-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Holloway will look like Cadillac Williams against SA's defense. And Shump better look like Fournette. If Shump gets tackled behind the line by this defense then he should just be on special teams.

Lance Harbor
08-29-2016, 02:54 PM
He also said Shump n Holloway will be main focus on RB's, then slid Aeris in there too. Said if the younger guys want to play they will have to earn it on ST's.

performance at RB. Got it. Must be the new math.

Gutter Cobreh
08-29-2016, 02:57 PM
I don't get why this bothers people so much. The longer our opponents don't know who the starter is, the better.

If there is one thing I can assure you, it's that we will play one QB on every play next week. Guaranteed.

Point taken here. I would counter and say someone would receive the snap on each offensive drive. There is always a chance that Holloway is lined up in the Wildcat and Williams/Fitz are on the sidelines instead of being spread out wide.

I know this is farfetched, but so are some of these meltdowns in this thread.....

EngDawg
08-29-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm even more upset that Fitz didn't win the job. Absolutely no excuse for him not to put the extra effort in being the new Leader..

This guy has been trolling on the other board all week

RougeDawg
08-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Holloway will look like Cadillac Williams against SA's defense. And Shump better look like Fournette. If Shump gets tackled behind the line by this defense then he should just be holding a clipboard.

FIFY

TrapGame
08-29-2016, 03:34 PM
FIFY

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/60377245.jpg

fishwater99
08-29-2016, 03:36 PM
It's funny how the underclassmen always have these major issues that keep them off the field until the upperclassmen graduate.

Dan just likes his upperclassmen...

drunkernhelldawg
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
We've seen what Fitz can do. However, there's a lot more to being qb than having size and being able to throw the ball. I must admit I'm concerned although Williams is a servicable qb who has put in some fine performances for us.

mstatefan91
08-29-2016, 04:04 PM
We've seen what Fitz can do. However, there's a lot more to being qb than having size and being able to throw the ball. I must admit I'm concerned although Williams is a servicable qb who has put in some fine performances for us.

When was that? And don't bring up the egg bowl his true freshman year.

I think the only limit with Fitz is going to be what's between his ears.

thf24
08-29-2016, 04:23 PM
When was that? And don't bring up the egg bowl his true freshman year.

Yeah, kinda what I can't help but think. Sure he kept our defense off the field enough to keep it close, but he never had a prayer of winning that game. And as far as "winning" the game against Arky that year, he had a gaping hole through the middle of the field and went untouched 2/3 of the way. Not saying I'm not grateful we had him there and still do, but we're going to need a little more than a barely serviceable game manager to have a shot at anything other than a respectable rebuilding-type season this year.

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Yeah, kinda what I can't help but think. Sure he kept our defense off the field enough to keep it close, but he never had a prayer of winning that game. And as far as "winning" the game against Arky that year, he had a gaping hole through the middle of the field and went untouched 2/3 of the way. Not saying I'm not grateful we had him there and still do, but we're going to need a little more than a barely serviceable game manager to have a shot at anything other than a respectable rebuilding-type season this year.

It's going to be a rebuilding year. It's best to resign ourselves to that right now. We have a lot of questions on offense and a hard headed coach who will mostly play upperclassmen.

I think Dan is banking on Ole Miss burning to save him which he is probably correct on.

It is what it is. We will be much better in 2017 once certain players graduate and the more talented ones are allowed to play- I mean prove their worth on special teams.

Homedawg
08-29-2016, 04:36 PM
It's going to be a rebuilding year. It's best to resign ourselves to that right now. We have a lot of questions on offense and a hard headed coach who will mostly play upperclassmen.

I think Dan is banking on Ole Miss burning to save him which he is probably correct on.

It is what it is. We will be much better in 2017 once certain players graduate and the more talented ones are allowed to play- I mean prove their worth on special teams.

I respect you as a poster during baseball. But during football you are becoming as unbearable to read as will James is-was in baseball.
Eta and I agree w your very first sentence.

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 04:41 PM
I respect you as a poster during baseball. But during football you are becoming as unbearable to read as will James is-was in baseball.
Eta and I agree w your very first sentence.

Thanks for the kind words.

GTHOM
08-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Listen Man if we are having a ''rebuilding year'' with this schedule, and this defense, and this much talent....Dan better not be banking on anything. 6-6 this year will be a major failure in my book

DanDority
08-29-2016, 06:25 PM
I know I'm slow, but who is Nick Williams?

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 06:53 PM
I know I'm slow, but who is Nick Williams?

Combination of Nick Fitzgerald and Damien Williams names.

I'm all for them settling it out on the field for whatever it's worth.

gravedigger
08-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Outstanding. Hope he says that every week.

DanDority
08-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Combination of Nick Fitzgerald and Damien Williams names.

I'm all for them settling it out on the field for whatever it's worth.

Bingo, yes, I'm sorry for being contrary, but I agree with your statement.

HancockCountyDog
08-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Hadn't realized this. Haven't been on the boards much the past couple of months.

I think we are going to miss the seniors on this team. When you add in the schedule in 2017, I'd slow down on next year being "the" year.

GreenheadDawg
08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Dan just likes his upperclassmen...

Yep. Winning be damned. Can't wait to watch shumpert get tackled by the hash mark

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 09:30 PM
I think we are going to miss the seniors on this team. When you add in the schedule in 2017, I'd slow down on next year being "the" year.

We should in theory have a QB by next year with one year of experience returning.

Malik Dear will be a junior and will be a force.

We WILL start Aeris Williams at worst at running back with the rest being some combination of Gibson, Lee, Murphy and maybe even Kylin Hill. We'll see as it is obviously too soon to know about Hill.

We will miss Ross and I have heard that Gray wants to go to the NFL if he can but we will see what kind of season he has first. We return Myles and Dear at worst and Couch will have a year under his belt. Probably Gray returns as well if I had to guess.

All of our TE's come back and should be better.

We lose Clayborn, Desper, and Senior but return Jenkins, Calhoun, and Rankin. The biggest need is at center and we really need at least one of the JUCO's to step in and really probably could use a JUCO center otherwise we're going with Moon.

We get Co-Lin's Dline plus we return Simmons, Adams, and Kobe Jones who were all four stars or better.

Green, Lewis, Jung, and Gray all return at linebacker even though we will miss Richie Brown.

Durr and Smokey will be back at corner with a year under their belt and then we will have Peters and McLaurin at safety if Bryant goes to the NFL after this year. If Bryant comes back our safeties will be even better plus we add Landrews.

Both of our kickers will be back and will be seniors. Some talented returners as well in Mixon and Thomas among others such as Dear.

We will always miss seniors every year. That's the nature of college football. But I see a LOT of talent coming back next year and a lot fewer questions than this year. Not to mention a lot of experience as well. The schedule will be fine- we should be 5-0 between OOC and Kentucky right off the bat assuming BYU leaves their officials at home.

HancockCountyDog
08-29-2016, 09:47 PM
You only named three OL.

Out of the DL that you listed, I only feel confident about Simmons. Kobe will redshirt.

Losing an all sec WR will hurt. We can't field a bunch of 5'10" Wrs.

The Co-Lin DL talk is giving me Arizona Western flashbacks. Let's see them on the field first.

We have no idea what to expect from Durr or Smokey, neither has really played corner in the SEC.

As for the schedule, we swap out SC at home for UGA in Athens. We get Bama and LSU at home. We go to AU, A&M, ARK, as well.

It's a tough schedule. We will be relying on Jucos a ton. That almost never works in their first year.

That's why I think people are missing the boat this year, we are setup to have a nice season.

Todd4State
08-29-2016, 09:59 PM
You only named three OL.

Out of the DL that you listed, I only feel confident about Simmons. Kobe will redshirt.

The Co-Lin DL talk is giving me Arizona Western flashbacks. Let's see them on the field first.

We have no idea what to expect from Durr or Smokey, neither has really played corner in the SEC.

As for the schedule, we swap out SC at home for UGA in Athens. We get Bama and LSU at home. We go to AU, A&M, ARK, as well.

It's a tough schedule. We will be relying on Jucos a ton. That almost never works in their first year.

That's why I think people are missing the boat this year, we are setup to have a nice season.

What year AREN'T there questions on the o-line? I said there were fewer questions next year and there will be.

Sweat played at Michigan State- he is already more qualified than any of the Arizona Western players based on that alone.

What are you talking about with the 5'10" WR's? Couch is 6'4" and Myles is 6'0". I'm fine with a slot receiver being under 6'0" tall.

We don't know how Durr and Smokey will do this year- but they are more athletic than Cleveland and Giles and will have a year under their belt this time next year.

Dan is always going to try to redshirt as many JUCO's as he can so I don't see us relying on JUCO's for the foreseeable future.

I actually like the schedule. Three winnable OOC games and out most difficult OOC game is in Starkville. Kentucky. Auburn is a train wreck and might have a new coach. Almost the same could be said for A&M. We'll see how Georgia does under Smart. LSU in Starkville without Fournette. Egg Bowl in Starkville in year one after IT part one comes to Oxford. Alabama in Starkville where our odds of winning have to be better than they are in Tuscaloosa even though yes we will probably lose.

Plus I'm talking about 2017 before 2016 even happens so some of those questions will be answered in the very near future. But I really like the talent on paper that we have.

defiantdog
08-29-2016, 10:35 PM
I thought we stated weeks ago that Williams was going to start this game.

lamont
08-29-2016, 10:54 PM
You only named three OL.

Our next 2 seasons are going to be rough

HancockCountyDog
08-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Our next 2 seasons are going to be rough

I really think we can have a solid 8-4 type season this year. Next year I'm a little more concerned.

Dawgfan77
08-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Think about this guy's. We were down to Williams.Greenlee,and nick Mullins in Jan of 13. Williams comments which opened the door for Mullins to get an offer from so miss. Greenleaf goes to Fresno where our former commitment chason Virgil is now the starting QB

Johnson85
08-30-2016, 12:00 PM
I really think we can have a solid 8-4 type season this year. Next year I'm a little more concerned.

I think whatever we do this year we will likely match next year. We should be better next year and our easier games will be on the road, which I think will result in us being about the same. If we go 4-0 OOC and beat UK this year, we'll probably be good enough to do the same next year.

Then I think however many games we win out of Arkansas, Auburn, UM, and A&M will likely be the same next year. We do trade USCe for UGA, but again, hopefully we'll be better.