PDA

View Full Version : Going to Wake Forest @ Duke - week 2. Anybody familiar with RDU?

BulldogBear
08-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Can anybody recommend a good place to chill, have a bite, and start watching the 11:00am (well, noon over there) games before we head over to the game?

MStateME13
08-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Can anybody recommend a good place to chill, have a bite, and start watching the 11:00am (well, noon over there) games before we head over to the game?

Tobacco Road Sports Cafe in Durham is pretty good. Lots of TVs, and it's in a pretty cool area. They have a patio that overlooks the outfield of the Durham Bulls' (AAA Tampa Bay affiliate) baseball stadium.

Technetium
08-29-2016, 11:21 AM
I live in Durham. As mentioned, Tobacco Road is a good place to grab a bite. Other options, too, depending on what you're looking for. Feel free to PM me with questions.

08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

I frequent the other side of I40 so I am not too terribly familiar with Duke gameday. I will say to check out the area around Brightleaf Square. I think there is $3 parking around. Plenty of options. (https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=lunch&find_loc=Brightleaf%2C+NC&ns=1)

The Federal, Devines and Satisfaction are good local sports bar type spots for gameday and all within easy walking distance of each other.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-federal-durham
https://www.yelp.com/biz/devines-restaurant-and-sports-bar-durham
https://www.yelp.com/biz/satisfaction-restaurant-and-bar-durham-2

Thompson92
08-29-2016, 12:22 PM
I didn't realize there were so many State grads in the triangle. If you plan to head down to Cary or Raleigh for some reason, let me know.

Technetium
08-29-2016, 12:34 PM
I didn't realize there were so many State grads in the triangle. If you plan to head down to Cary or Raleigh for some reason, let me know.

I'd say maybe once a month, I see a car driving with MSU tags/stickers/etc. in the area. Sadly, my car has a really old (old M-state logo) vanity plate that is so faded, you can barely see it from a distance. Every time I see one of those cars, though, I remind myself I need to order a new vanity plate.

Maybe I'll do that now that I'm thinking about it while at computer...

BulldogBear
09-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. We've settled on Tobacco Road Sports Cafe for eats.

I've heard that you can park in the parking garage by the University Hospital and take shuttle onto campus. Five Bucks. Does anyone know if that's true?

Technetium
09-04-2016, 07:38 PM
It's $10 to park in PG1 (one of the medical center garages, located off of Trent Drive). There is a shuttle to and from the stadium to that garage. that runs a few hours before kickoff and a little less time after the end of the game.

BulldogBear
09-04-2016, 08:25 PM
It's $10 to park in PG1 (one of the medical center garages, located off of Trent Drive). There is a shuttle to and from the stadium to that garage. that runs a few hours before kickoff and a little less time after the end of the game.That's the very one I was talking about. I see they've upped the anty!!

Technetium
09-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Winning games will do that. Taking advantage of finally having a decent football program.

BulldogBear
09-13-2016, 05:24 PM
It's $10 to park in PG1 (one of the medical center garages, located off of Trent Drive). There is a shuttle to and from the stadium to that garage. that runs a few hours before kickoff and a little less time after the end of the game.
Actually we just got a stub and paid after the game when we exited the parking garage. At $2.00 per hour is was only $8.00. Shuttle bus took us onto campus and we walked a short ways through campus to the area where the stadium and Cameron Indoor is.

Speaking of Campus. It was really very nice. It had an old, almost European feel to it. Eat your heart out Beardsharks. Here's question....why isn't Duke a powerhouse and top 10 recruiter, what with the beautiful campus and all?

Recently renovated Wallace Wade Stadium is every bit as nice of a facility as DWS at Scott Field, maybe better, even if it only seats 30,000. They had wide seats. Wide. I haven't been so comfortable at a game in years and 2/3 of the stadium is chairbacks. Above average concessions and vendors and gave away free water because it was so hot.

And I have to admit this was funny/cute:

RocketDawg
09-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Actually we just got a stub and paid after the game when we exited the parking garage. At $2.00 per hour is was only $8.00. Shuttle bus took us onto campus and we walked a short ways through campus to the area where the stadium and Cameron Indoor is.

Speaking of Campus. It was really very nice. It had an old, almost European feel to it. Eat your heart out Beardsharks. Here's question....why isn't Duke a powerhouse and top 10 recruiter, what with the beautiful campus and all?

Recently renovated Wallace Wade Stadium is every bit as nice of a facility as DWS at Scott Field, maybe better, even if it only seats 30,000. They had wide seats. Wide. I haven't been so comfortable at a game in years and 2/3 of the stadium is chairbacks. Above average concessions and vendors and gave away free water because it was so hot.

And I have to admit this was funny/cute:

Perhaps they have stricter entrance standards than most schools for athletes?

Yeah, the restroom sign was neat. I guess it'll have to change before long though. Not sure how they'll pull the Blue Devil theme off then.

Technetium
09-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Perhaps they have stricter entrance standards than most schools for athletes?

Thus plus the donors/etc. have been hesitant to throw any money at football. Success breeds success.

Still can't believe we lost to WF, though...

BulldogBear
09-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Thus plus the donors/etc. have been hesitant to throw any money at football. Success breeds success.

Still can't believe we lost to WF, though...
Well, I think that WF Hinton kid coming in certainly helped them out and he should be the starter.

Now why would I think a running QB would be successful?***

Jones, the Duke QB, also had some great read/runs. IIRC he scored both Blue Devil TDs. I understand he wasn't the original 1st Stringer either correct? The other guy got hurt before the season?