PDA

View Full Version : Why we shouldn't be freaked out that Dan hasn't chosen a starting QB

Reason2succeed
08-29-2016, 04:07 AM
Today Mullen is supposed to name the "starter" for the first game but he has stated that competition is still ongoing. Here are a few reasons that we should not be surprised or upset. Please feel free to disagree or add more.

1. Dak Prescott. And Alex Smith, Tebow, Leak, even Relf, etc. Mullen knows what he is doing with QBs. Relax.
2. Football is the hardest sport to recreate game experience in practice. Literally football only has a couple of scrimmages per year that are supposed to try to recreate the intensity of a real game. The NFL has to have preseason games even after having joint team practices as a part of player evaluation because some guys are gamers and other aren't and you will never figure that out in practice. As Allen Iverson famously said, "Practice? You talking about practice?"

3. We should be able to beat a depleted S. Alabama with any of our QBs in. Had we started off the season against a real threat then yeah we need to know who the guy is.

4. Fans are fickle. Yeah, I'm talking about you. We all rant and rave about wanting to see the young hot shot player but when they come out and have a couple dropped punts like Smokey did we look at that player like they are ruined goods who can never get better.

Take Damian Williams. We are mostly evaluating him on what he did two years ago and most of y'all just figure he's trash because he didn't play well then. Mullen protects his guys from this as much as possible by trying to make sure that the only tape they put out there is good tape.
5. If the guy really is the guy then the competition won't hurt him. It will only make him continue to work harder. If Nick (Fitz or Tiano) is as good as we hope they are then waiting a few more weeks and being asked to show it on a Saturday when it's for real shouldn't be a problem. The only players that don't like competition are losers. Winners invite the competition. It's just another opportunity to win and they love doing in front of 65k cowbell clanging fans.

Having said all that I think Mullen is going to say Damian Williams today but the competition is ongoing. Whoever wins the job will have earned it.

dickiedawg
08-29-2016, 06:11 AM
I'm not worried.
I'm a little concerned only because the guy I perceive to be the best option hasn't won the job convincingly. If Mullen announces Williams as the starter I will be more concerned. But if that's the case I will reserve panic until we see how he looks against USA.

lamont
08-29-2016, 06:14 AM
The fact that Damien Williams is still in the running is very worryspme.

You mentioned Chris Relf. Was that 2010 Chris Relf or 2011 Chris Relf that went 6-6?

ILOATHEBears
08-29-2016, 06:28 AM

You mentioned Chris Relf. Was that 2010 Chris Relf or 2011 Chris Relf that went 6-6?

FITZ

Really Clark?
08-29-2016, 06:38 AM

Nit picking but Relf was 4-4 as a starter in 2011. Missed 2 games, South Carolina and Arkansas. And although he started the Alabama game, he didn't play much.

MaxedOutMaroon
08-29-2016, 06:38 AM

But why? Damian may be Connor shaw level, which could be good enough to lead us to 9 or 10 wins. Not advocating him winning the job, but I am giving him a fair shot. He can spin the ball, but we just don't know how he's looking in all other facets. On another note, I fully expect fitz to be the starter.

Reason2succeed
08-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Nit picking but Relf was 4-4 as a starter in 2011. Missed 2 games, South Carolina and Arkansas. And although he started the Alabama game, he didn't play much.

That's not nitpicking. That's just laying down facts.

Uncivilengineer
08-29-2016, 06:41 AM
At this point I am just ready to start the season. I HAVE to have faith that our coach knows how to pick our quarterback.

starkvegasdawg
08-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Considering the forecast for Saturday is sunny and iwth temps in the mid 90's during the game, I have a feeling we run through the depth chart at almost every position. I fully expect Williams to be named the started just because he's a senior and Mullen has a hard on for starting seniors. That said, I do expect Fitz to take the majority of the snaps until the game is (hopefully) out of hand, where we will then see everybody that wears a green jersey during the week getting some time in. I could see Williams leading the first two series and then Fitz finishing out the half and maybe starting the 3rd quarter. Then Williams may get back in and play until into the 4th quarter when we then have a Tiano sighting.

mcain31
08-29-2016, 07:33 AM
I don't see why many are so worried. Let Mullen do his job and win. We don't know what they look like in practice this fall. Mullen and Brian Johnson have done good a job of developing QBs

Bass Chaser
08-29-2016, 07:45 AM
I think he has chosen a quarterback. He just hasn't announced it. I wouldn't be surprised if the fans don't know until the starting lineup is introduced.

Dawgface
08-29-2016, 07:51 AM
If he wants to select the QB a second before the offensive takes the field, that's fine with me. Nothing I can do about it any way. Let them all play first game and narrow it down from there.

the59dawg
08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Considering the forecast for Saturday is sunny and iwth temps in the mid 90's during the game, I have a feeling we run through the depth chart at almost every position. I fully expect Williams to be named the started just because he's a senior and Mullen has a hard on for starting seniors. That said, I do expect Fitz to take the majority of the snaps until the game is (hopefully) out of hand, where we will then see everybody that wears a green jersey during the week getting some time in. I could see Williams leading the first two series and then Fitz finishing out the half and maybe starting the 3rd quarter. Then Williams may get back in and play until into the 4th quarter when we then have a Tiano sighting.

You keep saying Williams is a Sr. Most others say he is R.S. Jr.

lamont
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
No doubt South Al should melt like butter

lamont
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Williams is a Jr

BrunswickDawg
08-29-2016, 08:29 AM
Williams is a Jr
And Williams has only been on campus a semester longer than Fitz. Fitz was an EE.

djaymsu5
08-29-2016, 08:33 AM
He wants all 3 guys to be prepared to take the starting snap even though they probably know who it will be. They all need to prepare like they will start to get them in the right mind set. They will all get their chance. We will just have to see who is a gamer and can handle the pressure. I'm sure they will all look good against USA but the next week is when it will show.

BulldogBacker
08-29-2016, 08:38 AM
He wants all 3 guys to be prepared to take the starting snap even though they probably know who it will be. They all need to prepare like they will start to get them in the right mind set. They will all get their chance. We will just have to see who is a gamer and can handle the pressure. I'm sure they will all look good against USA but the next week is when it will show.

Those who advocate Fitz need to just stay calm. This thought that Damian Williams may be the starter, while true, may be a motivating factor for Fitzgerald. Mullen may be doing this to bring Fitz' performance up a notch or two.