PDA

View Full Version : Well, IT arrived early....

War Machine Dawg
08-28-2016, 05:38 PM
WMD's Preseason Preview: Defense is available (http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/08/28/wmds-preseason-preview-defense/) at......Maroon and White Nation. That's right, I've moved sites. MWN "godfathered" me. Let's talk some actual football and defense instead of The Never-Ending Investigation.

SDDawg
08-28-2016, 06:01 PM
[URL="http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2016/08/28/wmds-preseason-preview-defense/"]Let's talk some actual football and defense instead of The Never-Ending Investigation.

Both are cool.

War Machine Dawg
08-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Both are cool.

Can't argue that. But it's basically game week. I'm just ready for some actual football discussion.

sleepy dawg
08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Very nice preview. Our CB situation scares the shit out of me. I hope Sirmon is creative enough to keep it from hurting us too bad.

War Machine Dawg
08-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Very nice preview. Our CB situation scares the shit out of me. I hope Sirmon is creative enough to keep it from hurting us too bad.

I know what you mean. But I really do like the talent of Smokey, Smitherman, and Stamps. That doesn't mean it'll translate this year, but all of those guys could wind up being really good. And like I said in the piece, QB pressure is a CB's best friend. The longer we ask them to cover, the worse they'll look. That would be true for Deion Sanders or Josh Norman. The good news is I think we've got some guys in that front 7 who can really get after the passer and keep the time the CBs have to cover relatively low.

Bully13
08-28-2016, 06:43 PM
I know what you mean. But I really do like the talent of Smokey, Smitherman, and Stamps. That doesn't mean it'll translate this year, but all of those guys could wind up being really good. And like I said in the piece, QB pressure is a CB's best friend. The longer we ask them to cover, the worse they'll look. That would be true for Deion Sanders or Josh Norman. The good news is I think we've got some guys in that front 7 who can really get after the passer and keep the time the CBs have to cover relatively low.

This is the truth. Time given in the pocket is key. It all starts up front and how they handle the big nasties

Bass Chaser
08-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Is Coleman another guy that could be used at Viper?

I expect Smitherman as the nickle corner.

mcain31
08-28-2016, 06:57 PM
I look forward to seeing how we apply pressure. I think Coach Buckley's CBs will surprise some people.

msstate7
08-28-2016, 08:00 PM
I look forward to seeing how we apply pressure. I think Coach Buckley's CBs will surprise some people.

If our corners do have a good year, the price to keep Buckley will go up big time considering his recruiting

Commercecomet24
08-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Good write-up! I enjoyed reading. I agree with you about our CB's. I think there's some talent there but they are young, but should get better with reps. Our front 7 has some serious potential. I'm really excited to see what kind of game sirmon calls. He seems like a super sharp coach.

War Machine Dawg
08-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Is Coleman another guy that could be used at Viper?

I expect Smitherman as the nickle corner.

Hadn't really thought of Coleman as the Viper, but he might be a candidate there to help give Green a blow. He's 6'5" and 250, so in terms of size, it seems like he might be a good fit there. Dez Harris and Anfernee Mullins might also get some reps there, just eyeballing the roster and sizes.

Yeah, I think Smitherman is the nickel, too. If he passes Smokey, they switch. Either way, I think it's pretty obvious our first 3 CBs are Durr, Smokey, and Smitherman with Stamps not far behind. If anyone gets hurt, tho......

War Machine Dawg
08-28-2016, 09:09 PM
If our corners do have a good year, the price to keep Buckley will go up big time considering his recruiting

MSU fans: Inventing problems that haven't occurred yet. Geez, can we at least wait and see what happens this year before you start whining we're too broke to keep T-Buck? Even though we're a $100M athletic department now.

msstate7
08-28-2016, 09:13 PM
MSU fans: Inventing problems that haven't occurred yet. Geez, can we at least wait and see what happens this year before you start whining we're too broke to keep T-Buck? Even though we're a $100M athletic department now.

Ok... When did I say we couldn't afford him?

Bass Chaser
08-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Need to remember TBuck is also our Recruiting Coordinator.

War Machine Dawg
08-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Shameless bump

RiverCityDawg
08-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Hadn't really thought of Coleman as the Viper, but he might be a candidate there to help give Green a blow. He's 6'5" and 250, so in terms of size, it seems like he might be a good fit there.

He started as the Viper the entire spring. Pretty sure he's hurt right now though. Sirmon said something about him helping "in a few weeks" during a recent interview on Double Coverage. I imagine he'll be behind at least Calvin, Green and probably Spencer.

mcain31
08-29-2016, 12:53 PM
I can't wait to see Gerri Green get after QBs. What player do you think he should pattern his game after?

msstate7
08-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I can't wait to see Gerri Green get after QBs. What player do you think he should pattern his game after?

Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas .. If he's anything less than LT or DT, then he's a bust**

War Machine Dawg
08-29-2016, 07:31 PM

He should pattern his game after Gerri Green. The only way to truly succeed is to your way and to your specific strengths. Trying to imitate someone else who doesn't necessarily have your combination of specific attributes is a good way to never hit your full potential.