PDA

View Full Version : Getting Our Running Backs on the Field Game Day

Goldendawg
08-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Most of our present running backs were recruited as high 3 stars or 4 star players. There is an article by Logan Lowery in the Journal today about Shump and his "His Last best shot". He is all MSU and I hope he has a breakout Senior season. This part of the article really bothers me. Coach Knox is quoted as saying, "Josh had departed a year early and at that point he (Shump) was thrown into it." "He was still learning the game." This was after Shump's two years and another spring and fall in our system. Why is it taking so long for our backs to learn to play and get on the field. Is our system much harder than other SEC programs for running backs? Do none of our backs know how to pass block when they get to State? Is it coaching? If Bo Jackson came to us reborn, would take 2 to 3 years to see significant playing time. What am I missing here?

Dallas_Dawg
08-28-2016, 01:38 PM
We could definitely upgrade at the RB coaching position.
It's where you want to have a dynamic recruiter and Knox is also not that.

msbulldog
08-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Most of our present running backs were recruited as high 3 stars or 4 star players. There is an article by Logan Lowery in the Journal today about Shump and his "His Last best shot". He is all MSU and I hope he has a breakout Senior season. This part of the article really bothers me. Coach Knox is quoted as saying, "Josh had departed a year early and at that point he (Shump) was thrown into it." "He was still learning the game." This was after Shump's two years and another spring and fall in our system. Why is it taking so long for our backs to learn to play and get on the field. Is our system much harder than other SEC programs for running backs? Do none of our backs know how to pass block when they get to State? Is it coaching? If Bo Jackson came to us reborn, would take 2 to 3 years to see significant playing time. What am I missing here?

good questions.

msstate7
08-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Was Ballard an EE? Didn't seem to take him too long

RougeDawg
08-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Our staff requires perfection in the blocking schemes by our Rb's because our OLine gives numerous matador blocks in a game. Our RB's are last line of defense for the QB. Which is why Holloway should NEVER be lined up in the backfield. NEVER.

Goldendawg
08-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Ballard came from JC. Maybe he had already learned to pass block. I'm mainly asking why it takes so long to see the field when they come to us as Freshmen.

Todd4State
08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
I still say we would have been much better off with Aeris getting about twice as many carries as he did. Shumpert’s “problem” is he is a FB/H-Back. That’s why he hasn’t “learned” the running back position. I actually think Shumpert will be a really good FB for us by the way. He has pretty good hands out of the backfield as a receiver and he is a pretty decent blocker. We’ve gone away from the FB position ever since Sylvester Hemphill graduated and I’m not sure why- but I think it has been a mistake.

We talk about Tyler not fitting Dan’s offense- but I think if you look at Dan’s offense objectively it runs better with a physical running back moreso than it does with a guy like Dak. The two years we have struggled the most on offense against elite SEC teams were when we had Perkins and Holloway as the primary running backs. It’s harder to run the option when the primary back isn’t a threat to run between the tackles because then the defense can key in on Dak or setting the edge.

We should use Aeris and Lee as the two primary backs, Shumpert as the H-Back/FB and Holloway as the change of pace speed guy. That’s how we SHOULD use our running backs.

Todd4State
08-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Our staff requires perfection in the blocking schemes by our Rb's because our OLine gives numerous matador blocks in a game. Our RB's are last line of defense for the QB. Which is why Holloway should NEVER be lined up in the backfield. NEVER.

I think the “blocking” stuff from our coaches is BS for we want to play the upperclassmen.

Todd4State
08-28-2016, 01:53 PM
Ballard came from JC. Maybe he had already learned to pass block. I'm mainly asking why it takes so long to see the field when they come to us as Freshmen.

Ballard was just under the radar.

Goldendawg
08-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Todd, I agree with your post. What bothers me the most is the quote from the Coach. Especially as it implies he now is ready after 3 full years and another spring and fall camp. I nearly got jumped on last season by younger MSU fans for complaining about Holloway up the middle. He is a great change of pace back when we get him in space, but I don't see other SEC teams running a 160 lb back between the tackles. I also think most really good backs get better with a consistent time on the field with 20 or more carries. I'm no coach, but seeing this and reading about it continues to trouble me. State has always been known for good running backs even in some bad years until last year. Maybe the OL issues contributed to this last year, but 160 lbs is a tough role for the RB to be the last line of defense for a QB on a passing play also.

msbulldog
08-28-2016, 02:15 PM
I still say we would have been much better off with Aeris getting about twice as many carries as he did. Shumpert?s ?problem? is he is a FB/H-Back. That?s why he hasn?t ?learned? the running back position. I actually think Shumpert will be a really good FB for us by the way. He has pretty good hands out of the backfield as a receiver and he is a pretty decent blocker. We?ve gone away from the FB position ever since Sylvester Hemphill graduated and I?m not sure why- but I think it has been a mistake.

We talk about Tyler not fitting Dan?s offense- but I think if you look at Dan?s offense objectively it runs better with a physical running back moreso than it does with a guy like Dak. The two years we have struggled the most on offense against elite SEC teams were when we had Perkins and Holloway as the primary running backs. It?s harder to run the option when the primary back isn?t a threat to run between the tackles because then the defense can key in on Dak or setting the edge.

We should use Aeris and Lee as the two primary backs, Shumpert as the H-Back/FB and Holloway as the change of pace speed guy. That?s how we SHOULD use our running backs.

Your right Mullins offense performs best with a threat up between the tackles. That occupy's a defender, giving your outside option a better chance of success.

RougeDawg
08-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Your right Mullins offense performs best with a threat up between the tackles. That occupy's a defender, giving your outside option a better chance of success.

To have any chance of a threat up the middle you actually have to have a middle. Our OLine is the reason for all of our offensive problems. From running the ball to protecting the QB, our OLine is the issue. Our running backs would be exponentially better if they weren't dodging defended 3 yards in the backfield on the snap. We fix OL and all of these "issues" fix themselves.

Bothrops
08-28-2016, 02:30 PM
If we'd play Gibson,Williams and Murphy at RB, these type of topics would go away.

djaymsu5
08-28-2016, 06:03 PM
If we'd play Gibson,Williams and Murphy at RB, these type of topics would go away.

This^^^ pound the rock with those 3 and I bet you we have a running game again.

Leroy Jenkins
08-28-2016, 06:44 PM
All coachspeak... RB is easily the easiest position to translate to the next level.

Todd4State
08-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Todd, I agree with your post. What bothers me the most is the quote from the Coach. Especially as it implies he now is ready after 3 full years and another spring and fall camp. I nearly got jumped on last season by younger MSU fans for complaining about Holloway up the middle. He is a great change of pace back when we get him in space, but I don't see other SEC teams running a 160 lb back between the tackles. I also think most really good backs get better with a consistent time on the field with 20 or more carries. I'm no coach, but seeing this and reading about it continues to trouble me. State has always been known for good running backs even in some bad years until last year. Maybe the OL issues contributed to this last year, but 160 lbs is a tough role for the RB to be the last line of defense for a QB on a passing play also.

I actually thought we used Holloway pretty well for the most part- at least compared to LaDarius Perkins. Mainly on outside running plays and catches passes out of the backfield. The problem is for that to be effective we have to run him up the middle some which is basically a wasted snap as Cadaver said awhile ago.

But I do agree with you about Knox. He?s either hardheaded or incompetent.

Todd4State
08-28-2016, 07:09 PM
To have any chance of a threat up the middle you actually have to have a middle. Our OLine is the reason for all of our offensive problems. From running the ball to protecting the QB, our OLine is the issue. Our running backs would be exponentially better if they weren't dodging defended 3 yards in the backfield on the snap. We fix OL and all of these "issues" fix themselves.

I think the truth is it is some of both the fault of the running backs and the o-line. It’s hard to overlook the amount of sacks we allowed in big games last year. But at the same time Dak and Aeris were able to run behind them and Lee averaged over 6 YPC.

That makes me believe that our o-line was most likely poor in pass protection and average to below average in run blocking.

I think the fault of the running backs is in the personnel usage. Shumpert tripped himself up often and has no vision. Holloway has to run to the outside. That pretty much left Dak as an inside running threat and the entire defense on the other side knew it- which allowed them to key in on him and probably limited how totally effective he could be as a runner.

It was a vicious cycle because our strength as an o-line is run blocking but our running backs weren’t very good and we refused to play the freshmen but that exposed our o-line’s weakness in pass protection. Thank God for Dak because I believe he literally saved our season last year. He probably doesn’t know what to do with all the time he has behind the Cowboys line and with Elliott at running back.