PDA

View Full Version : Rick Cleveland and the Claroon Ledger

cheewgumm
08-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Growing up reading Cleveland and the CL... What Kellenburger and company are doing t the Clarion Ledger Sports is disgraceful.

Dolphus Raymond
08-26-2016, 08:14 AM
The CL sports page under Cleveland was the best of the best. I dropped many a Sunday morning duce reading it word by word.

maroonmania
08-26-2016, 08:44 AM
At this point I can't believe some respected journalists that might actually care about the CL's reputation (like a Rick Cleveland) aren't speaking out about the crapfest that paper has turned into at least in regards to sports reporting. The might as well change their name to the Ole Miss Spirit Ledger.

Taog Redloh
08-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Yes, and all these morons boycotting it are doing it the wrong way. It's the only real media for the majority of the state. You can't just avoid it. You have to fight to change that shit.

maroonmania
08-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Yes, and all these morons boycotting it are doing it the wrong way. It's the only real media for the majority of the state. You can't just avoid it. You have to fight to change that shit.

Well theoretically, if it goes out of business, then you could avoid it. Ideally it would be nice if a competent newspaper would take its place but that is probably too much to hope for. Not a lot of new folks looking to get into a dying business.

Bothrops
08-26-2016, 09:31 AM
It's not just sports reporting, it's the whole paper. The CL been lacking as an information source going all the way back to the early 2000s. Now it's completely useless.

NCDawg
08-26-2016, 02:26 PM
I haven't really cared for Rick Cleveland since he tried to justify the "pass interference" against State in the '81 Egg Bowl, which call was made by the infamous Dick Pace. Still ticks me off after all these years. No way that was pass interference-our DB was waiting on the pass to come down to intercept it.

Bully13
08-26-2016, 03:30 PM
I haven't really cared for Rick Cleveland since he tried to justify the "pass interference" against State in the '81 Egg Bowl, which call was made by the infamous Dick Pace. Still ticks me off after all these years. No way that was pass interference-our DB was waiting on the pass to come down to intercept it.

Yep. I was in the stands right on top of the play. Our dB had his back to the wr while making the int in the middle of the end zone . Dick tossed the flag after the int. When interviewed he said it was from contact made right before they got to the end zone.

Beaver
08-26-2016, 03:30 PM

Still pissed after 35 years... That's quite a grudge.

NCDawg
08-26-2016, 03:51 PM

The subject of this thread was praise for Rick Cleveland's reporting. Cleveland tried to justify the call in the next day (Sunday) issue of the Clarion Ledger. The call wasn't even close in my opinion.

M.Fillmore
08-26-2016, 04:20 PM
The worst PI call I've ever seen, and it followed one of the worst coaching calls when Bellard kicked the go-ahead field goal on 3rd down. They were out of time outs. We could have kicked the FG with less than 10 seconds left and the Bears wouldn't have had time for the Hail-Pace pass.

Bellard said he kicked on 3rd down in case the snap was muffed.

BrunswickDawg
08-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Say what you will about Rick's slants or biases. However, Rick would not have cowtowed to OM and would have had staff covering this story. He knew it was their job to do so.

Bucky Dog
08-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I cancelled CL last month and they called this week asking if I would take it back at a discount and I told them no, and I wouldn't take for free right now. When asked if I had any information they could give to the CL, lady said she was in South Carolina with some marketing company, I told her to tell them the same thing I said last month. Pathetic and biased journalism to Ole Miss by the sports editor and refusal to demand change by the editor.

Screw them!

Dawgcentral
08-26-2016, 05:08 PM
I had to quit buying the CL last April. I'd finally had enough. I don't miss any pertinent news, but I miss the act of reading a newspaper. I know I'm old school, but it was a familiar repetition that I've been doing my entire adult life.

Sucks not having a decent newspaper.

Rick Cleveland
08-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Would have been hard for me to do that in 1981, since I wasn't writing columns at the time... Would have been Orley or Paul Borden or Tom Patterson in 1981. That was my first year covering Ole Miss as a beat after covering State as a beat in 1979 and 1980. I think I wrote a game story and a sidebar that day, but no opinion piece...WOW! that was 35 years ago... Long time to carry a grudge even if I had written it...

Chip
08-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Rick - this is chip reno - I need to schedule a meeting with you on something, can you private msg me?
It's liberating to post under your own name, right?

But I do love Reno Hightower's username. I'm sure my friends think that's me, but it isn't.

Dawgcentral
08-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Rick.

Can you now do something about your former employer? Not being sarcastic here. Even you must gag when you read what Kellenburger has to write.

And what happened to the OM beat writer who tried to pursue the investigation story was just shameful. I wish someone with the respect you have for the industry would speak out against what the CL has become.

Thank you for participating in this forum.

dawgoneyall
08-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Would have been hard for me to do that in 1981, since I wasn't writing columns at the time... Would have been Orley or Paul Borden or Tom Patterson in 1981. That was my first year covering Ole Miss as a beat after covering State as a beat in 1979 and 1980. I think I wrote a game story and a sidebar that day, but no opinion piece...WOW! that was 35 years ago... Long time to carry a grudge even if I had written it...

What is your opinion of the CL's....hummmm.... performance regarding the uofm/ncaa stuff?

NCDawg
08-26-2016, 06:40 PM

I don't care if it was 500 years ago. Most of the posters on this board are probably too young to remember what happened that game. Bottom line, it was probably the worst call in the history of college football and the Clarion Ledger agreed with the call. The Clarion Ledger has always had an Ole Miss bias as far as I can remember-even going back to the days of Carl Walters.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Aside from the previous owners being huge OM fans, I know Rusty Hampton hated Jackie with a passion.

Commercecomet24
08-26-2016, 07:21 PM
I don't care if it was 500 years ago. Most of the posters on this board are probably too young to remember what happened that game. Bottom line, it was probably the worst call in the history of college football and the Clarion Ledger agreed with the call. The Clarion Ledger has always had an Ole Miss bias as far as I can remember-even going back to the days of Carl Walters.

I was at that game, 16 at the time and I had a Birdseye view of that play. It WAS the worst call in the history of college football. Anyone defending pace for that call is an idiot. The ball was badly under thrown and Cookie Jackson was just waiting for it to come down. If there was PI it was on Michael Harmon for trying to go over Jacksons back. It was a long ride home that day, I'll never forget it.

tireddawg
08-26-2016, 07:54 PM
I can't believe some of y'all were still paying for it

TUSK
08-26-2016, 07:56 PM
I had to quit buying the CL last April. I'd finally had enough. I don't miss any pertinent news, but I miss the act of reading a newspaper. I know I'm old school, but it was a familiar repetition that I've been doing my entire adult life.

Sucks not having a decent newspaper.

this would be a suitable replacement:

dawgoneyall
08-26-2016, 09:27 PM

Morons for boycotting?! No. The morons who continue to antagonize over half the state are the morons.
Boycotting evidently is the only way to get their attention. If their attention is not gotten then the paper is useless anyway

lastmajordog
08-26-2016, 09:38 PM
I was at that game, 16 at the time and I had a Birdseye view of that play. It WAS the worst call in the history of college football. Anyone defending pace for that call is an idiot. The ball was badly under thrown and Cookie Jackson was just waiting for it to come down. If there was PI it was on Michael Harmon for trying to go over Jacksons back. It was a long ride home that day, I'll never forget it.

And that blatant call probably more of a long term affect on MSU football than most care to admit. That being said the game should NOT have been close enough for a bad call to determine, that lies in Emory’s hands.......another case of PREVENT defense loosing a game....plus not keeping foot on the gas...putting someone away........that plus it should not have been that close.

Commercecomet24
08-26-2016, 09:45 PM
And that blatant call probably more of a long term affect on MSU football than most care to admit. That being said the game should NOT have been close enough for a bad call to determine, that lies in Emory’s hands.......another case of PREVENT defense loosing a game.......that plus it should not have been that close.

I agree completely. I had bad dreams about that game for a long time.

Boodawg
08-26-2016, 09:57 PM
I can't believe some of y'all were still paying for it

I'm with you. Who are these morons (other than um fans)who continue to fund this rag?

Joe Schmedlap
08-26-2016, 10:04 PM

May Dick Pace rot in hell. That was THE WORST darned call I have ever seen, period. Just egregious. If I'm alive 35 years from now I will still be pissed.

IMissJack
08-26-2016, 10:45 PM
I can't believe someone hasn't come in and started something like AL.com in MS. Seems like MS as a state would be ripe for an online news source if actually run well.

Dawgtini
08-26-2016, 11:31 PM
Some things are just more important than others. #bscall