PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Varnado (SWAT) and Dee Bost at MSU

TheRef
08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
SWAT and Dee are both practicing with the MSU Men's Basketball team today after SWAT worked out with the team yesterday. Y'all see them having any impact on the team as far as helping them with some stuff?

RC3
08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
well its clearly better than being forced to use grad assistants to stand in as players like last year. What is most encouraging is that some alums who have experienced some success seem willing to come back and contribute. I don't remember that happening much when stans was our coach

Bo Darville
08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Certainly both are quality players and can help these guys. Varnado is a good guy too. Bost scares me. He was the largest cancer on Stansbury's team (larger than Renardo) and helped rip that team apart and set our program back. Of course Stansbury let it happen.

bocfarm
08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
He's (Bost) just srimmaging with the team not moving into their dorm room

CadaverDawg
08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I loved Bost when he played at State, but keep his ass away from our current players. His attitude was always shit even though he was super talented. So unless his natural talent is contagious, keep him away from our current guards.

Bo Darville
08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
He's (Bost) just srimmaging with the team not moving into their dorm room

Good point. However, these guys don't need to hear Bost saying "Screw coach man. Just ball the way you want. All them damn rules about class and showing up on time is bullcrap. Don't let Coach Ray tell y'all what to do. You a grown man and Coach Ray be disrespecting y'all. Don't listen to him. Screw his black ass".

Stuff like that will poison them.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Good point. However, these guys don't need to hear Bost saying "Screw coach man. Just ball the way you want. All them damn rules about class and showing up on time is bullcrap. Don't let Coach Ray tell y'all what to do. You a grown man and Coach Ray be disrespecting y'all. Don't listen to him. Screw his black ass".

Haha, we are on the same page, Bo.

bocfarm
08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Hopefully our players would respond..."yea, looks like that worked out well for you"

But I see your point...I did always like Bost though

Dawg61
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Bost has been scrimmaging vs the NBA ROY Damian Lillard for the last 2 years. Maybe that experience can be of benefit.

aerodawg
08-27-2013, 11:16 AM

How much of that was just Bost acting that way, and how much of it was that he was given free reigns to act that way by the coach? Maybe its true but I just never saw him acting that way as a general rule. I saw clearly that he thought Stansbury was an idiot with his decision making and did not respect him. Regardless of the scenario you should respect your coach and do what he is trying to do, the rest will work itself out.

Like I said, I may be completely wrong on that, but I just never got that vibe when speaking to him.

Bo Darville
08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
How much of that was just Bost acting that way, and how much of it was that he was given free reigns to act that way by the coach? Maybe its true but I just never saw him acting that way as a general rule. I saw clearly that he thought Stansbury was an idiot with his decision making and did not respect him. Regardless of the scenario you should respect your coach and do what he is trying to do, the rest will work itself out.

Like I said, I may be completely wrong on that, but I just never got that vibe when speaking to him.

It was Bost acting that way AND being given free reign to act that way. I can't and won't say all that I know on this, but Bost was an absolute cancer of the worst kind. That is Bost's fault. However, Stansbury should have had the good sense to put Bost's suitcase on the sidewalk and tell him to get the hell out of town. He enabled Bost (even changed the schedule around when Bost was serving his two consecutive suspensions to start a season). That is Stansbury's fault. Bost was a cancer and Stansbury put up with it.

How long do you think Cohen and Mullen would put up with this? I'll tell you. Less than 1 minute, if that long.

Edited to say that what Bost did to poison the team isn't what you see on the court. It was what went on in the locker room, dorm, apartment, hotel, etc.

DogBanker
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
There was reason Stansbury couldn't kick Bost or Sidney off the team. That reason was also why Phil Turner left.

And I can say this, Ray wouldn't put up with that from his players. I know this by talking to several of the players and the stories they have told me.

Coach34
08-27-2013, 11:53 AM
new sheriff in town now boys...Bost will be fine around them and probably talk about how he wished he had someone like Ray coaching him

Drewbowski
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
I really liked Stans as a person and was happy to have him as our coach but this is Ray's team and RR won't take shit. I am ready for Basketball.

Bo Darville
08-27-2013, 02:09 PM
new sheriff in town now boys...Bost will be fine around them and probably talk about how he wished he had someone like Ray coaching him

Without getting into X's and O's, recruiting, etc. Look at Ray's talent last year, scholarship players, and injuries. Without a doubt we should have finished last in the SEC. He had them hustling, working, and we overachieved.

MadDawg
08-27-2013, 02:23 PM
It was an incredible season.