PDA

View Full Version : Here's our starting 11 on offense...

HoopsDawg
08-23-2016, 02:10 PM
X: Gray
H: Ross
Z: Myles

TE: Johnson

LT: Rankin
LG: Calhoun
C: Clayborn
RG: Desper
RT: Senior

QB: Fitz
RB: Holloway

That's how we will start out. Damien and Fitz will rotate at QB. Hopefully we will be up big and Tiano will play the 4Q.

tireddawg
08-23-2016, 03:26 PM
So Damien is the back up?
Or is it 1A/1B?

msstate7
08-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Any improvement for desper? Is Williams his backup?

MaroonFlounder
08-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Malik Dear better figure in prominently or I will be pissed.

Really Clark?
08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

It will have to be as part of packages and different sets. He is not and shouldn't be starting over Ross

StatesboroBlues
08-23-2016, 07:49 PM
It will have to be as part of packages and different sets. He is not and shouldn't be starting over Ross

Why will he have to start over Ross...has Ross not been practicing on the outside. Of course Ross can play the slot but we need to be able to get them on the field at the same time. Which I believe we will see often...

HoopsDawg
08-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Any improvement for desper? Is Williams his backup?

Williams is the backup C and swing guard. Jenkins is the swing tackle. Desper is decent. I think he will be solid this year. Hev trusts him.

HoopsDawg
08-23-2016, 08:09 PM

Dear is going to be a big factor this year.

Really Clark?
08-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Why will he have to start over Ross...has Ross not been practicing on the outside. Of course Ross can play the slot but we need to be able to get them on the field at the same time. Which I believe we will see often...

Going by the starting group in the OP. If that is the starting base, then Ross will still be taking the majority of the snaps in the slot. And we have to see how the WR groups roll through the different sets and packages. Dear will probably running in as the slot in the second group. Also, are we looking for be a more run team like we have in the past and how the effects the different sets? Which should lead to Dear getting even more opportunities.

Oleo
08-24-2016, 07:56 AM

That's how we will start out. Damien and Fitz will rotate at QB. Hopefully we will be up big and Tiano will play the 4Q.

I think this looks pretty good

Alumni50
08-24-2016, 08:11 AM
That right side of the OL should have the shortest leash. Senior has the experience but hard for me not to believe Jenkins has much more upside.

Jarius
08-24-2016, 08:24 AM
D. Williams will play the first snap at quarterback.

BB30
08-24-2016, 08:32 AM
It is refreshing to have enough talent at the WR position that we can't find a way to get them all on the field.

lamont
08-24-2016, 08:43 AM
D. Williams will play the first snap at quarterback.

They will both play. I don't think anybody knows yet who gets the 1st snap- including them.

HoopsDawg
08-24-2016, 10:26 AM
They will both play. I don't think anybody knows yet who gets the 1st snap- including them.

The coaches haven't told anyone who will start yet. The depth chart has formed this week in practice though. Williams was the starter until the last scrimmage. Now I think it will be Fitz, but they both will play. My personal opinion is that Mullen likes what he see in Tiano. He sees a little Alex Smith and Tebow in him, but he's not ready to take the reigns yet.

dparker
08-24-2016, 11:11 AM
but he's not ready to take the reigns yet.

Then shouldn't he be the backup and not 3rd off the bench?

HoopsDawg
08-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Then shouldn't he be the backup and not 3rd off the bench?

I'd like to go ahead and start him, but that's now how Mullen works. It's going to be Fitz and Williams until one of those guys steps forward. Look for Tiano in some power packages like we did with Dak his freshman year and Mullen/Meyer did with Tebow his freshman year.

NCDawg
08-24-2016, 11:47 AM
That right side of the OL should have the shortest leash. Senior has the experience but hard for me not to believe Jenkins has much more upside.
I hope Rankin will be good. As far as the other OL, I am not impressed after watching their performances last year. Maybe they have made vast improvement this year. I hope so. Their performance against Ole Miss last year was a disaster. Prescott had to get rid of the ball as soon as possible or he would get sacked. Hence, all the bubble screen passes.

spiral
08-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Talking about packages determining receiver sets who are our best blocking receivers now? Bear was great at blocking (and pushing off without getting caught) and I guess I focused on him the last couple of years and don't recall who else blocked well. Ross obviously caught it well but I don't recall his blocking. Dear may be built better for blocking.

Really Clark?
08-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Talking about packages determining receiver sets who are our best blocking receivers now? Bear was great at blocking (and pushing off without getting caught) and I guess I focused on him the last couple of years and don't recall who else blocked well. Ross obviously caught it well but I don't recall his blocking. Dear may be built better for blocking.

Robert Johnson and Joe Morrow both were outstanding blockers as WR as well. I would say Ross is an effective blocker.

HoopsDawg
08-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Bear was a tremendous blocker. We are going to lose some of that on the outside, but Billy G demands great blocking from his receivers. If you have the will to do it, you can block. Just want see the devastating blocks on the outside like we did from Bear. Justin Johnson is a good blocker in space when he lines up out wide.

HoopsDawg
09-08-2016, 11:57 AM

10 for 11 on the players, Shumpert started instead of Johnson b/c we went with a 2 back set and Desper started at LG and Calhoun was at RG.

Mississippi State

POS ## OFFENSE
WR 6 Donald Gray
WR 5 Gabe Myles
WR 8 Fred Ross
LT 74 Elgton Jenkins
LG 62 Devon Desper
C 60 Jamaal Clayborn
RG 61 Deion Calhoun
RT 58 Justin Senior
RB 32 Ashton Shumpert
RB 10 B. Holloway
QB 7 Nick Fitzgerald

shrimp
09-08-2016, 12:24 PM
10 for 11 on the players, Shumpert started instead of Johnson b/c we went with a 2 back set and Desper started at LG and Calhoun was at RG.

Mississippi State

POS ## OFFENSE
WR 6 Donald Gray
WR 5 Gabe Myles
WR 8 Fred Ross
LT 74 Elgton Jenkins
LG 62 Devon Desper
C 60 Jamaal Clayborn
RG 61 Deion Calhoun
RT 58 Justin Senior
RB 32 Ashton Shumpert
RB 10 B. Holloway
QB 7 Nick Fitzgerald

Is this your prediction for Saturday night? Nick Fitz with the start again?

confucius say
09-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Mississippi State

POS ## OFFENSE
WR 6 Donald Gray
WR 5 Gabe Myles
WR 8 Fred Ross
LT 74 Elgton Jenkins
LG 62 Devon Desper
C 60 Jamaal Clayborn
RG 61 Deion Calhoun
RT 58 Justin Senior
RB 32 Ashton Shumpert
RB 10 B. Holloway
QB 7 Nick Fitzgerald

Good. Now do this week

defiantdog
09-08-2016, 12:45 PM
The coaches haven't told anyone who will start yet. The depth chart has formed this week in practice though. Williams was the starter until the last scrimmage. Now I think it will be Fitz, but they both will play. My personal opinion is that Mullen likes what he see in Tiano. He sees a little Alex Smith and Tebow in him, but he's not ready to take the reigns yet.
He still struggles on the short passes still

msstate7
09-08-2016, 12:48 PM
He still struggles on the short passes still

Tiano?