PDA

View Full Version : /r/collegebasketball asked and I obliged

TheRef
08-23-2016, 10:22 AM
The College Basketball subreddit asked if I could write up a nice wiki page for Mississippi State before this season giving a full history and background to the program. I decided to try my hand at it with what they wanted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/4z48y0/a_complete_history_of_the_mississippi_state/

louisvilledawg
08-23-2016, 10:29 AM
I like it. Wish we could fit this is there though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-hPD3HXu4

and also, under greatest games I would've put the Alabama game in ttown with Bowers and crew coming back to win it. I know it has no historic significance, but it's probably my favorite MSU basketball game in my lifetime.

Great job!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-23-2016, 10:37 AM
GREAT JOB!!!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-23-2016, 10:39 AM
chills watching this...good to remember us being legit!!

gtowndawg
08-23-2016, 10:46 AM
chills watching this...good to remember us being legit!!

same here. Hope for more like it.

drummerdawg
08-23-2016, 10:55 AM
The College Basketball subreddit asked if I could write up a nice wiki page for Mississippi State before this season giving a full history and background to the program. I decided to try my hand at it with what they wanted.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/4z48y0/a_complete_history_of_the_mississippi_state/

Great job. I've always considered Kentucky and Bama as our basketball rivals more so than om though.

TheRef
08-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Great job. I've always considered Kentucky and Bama as our basketball rivals more so than om though.

I'll edit it later to reflect that. This was mostly just me trying to get everything done before football season.

gtowndawg
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Ref. Great job. One of our most successful alumni is often not listed for some reason. Arthur Williams. One of the few alumni we have listed on the World Billionaire list and he use to own the Tampa Bay Lighting. He's not very involved, but still, he graduated from State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_L._Williams_Jr.

MSUDawg99
08-23-2016, 11:10 AM
This is excellent! You did a fantastic job! Agree with KY & Bammer being biggest rivals. Glad you're going to update that info.

KentuckyDawg13
08-23-2016, 11:16 AM
MSU beating Shaq and company in 1991 to win (tie w LSU) the SEC regular season championship. Huge point for MSU basketball as MSU was the cellar dweller for years prior. It was Richard Williams' mark in history.

Also, for plays...the Tony Watts slam over the 7ft has to be mentioned. Cannot recall the game (NCAA tourney) or the team/player, but it was probably the most impressive showmanship of athleticism by an MSU basketball player.

This season we are going to have a few additions. ;-)

MadDawg
08-23-2016, 11:20 AM

drummerdawg
08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Under Greatest Coaches I would add E.C. Hayes. He had a record of 124-54 with a .697 win %. He also had a conference title and had a winning record every season. That may not seem like a ton of games but he coaches for 12 seasons.

spiral
08-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Good job. Looks like you really did a lot of hard work.
Basketball is covered great. Only thing I noticed is some small items like maybe adding Janet Marie Smith to the famous alumni especially since she's sports related. Also, under random facts maybe add about the Ecocar.

msbulldog
08-23-2016, 12:47 PM

and also, under greatest games I would've put the Alabama game in ttown with Bowers and crew coming back to win it. I know it has no historic significance, but it's probably my favorite MSU basketball game in my lifetime.

Great job!

One of those MSU moments that will forever stay in my memory.

MSUDawg99
08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Agree on adding some blurb about the ecocar or 'car of the future' thing. Also, I know it's nitpicky but there are several other great local restaurants worth mentioning than the ones listed.

gravedigger
08-23-2016, 04:43 PM
MSU beating Shaq and company in 1991 to win (tie w LSU) the SEC regular season championship. Huge point for MSU basketball as MSU was the cellar dweller for years prior. It was Richard Williams' mark in history.

Also, for plays...the Tony Watts slam over the 7ft has to be mentioned. Cannot recall the game (NCAA tourney) or the team/player, but it was probably the most impressive showmanship of athleticism by an MSU basketball player.

That was zimmerman. Espn announcer said "say ello to my lil fren"

bhamdog54
08-23-2016, 11:06 PM

Great job!

How do you figure that game has no cultural significance? That's the game that clinched our last regular season SEC championship in basketball.

DancingRabbit
08-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Zim vs McNeese State

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcaE4oxW4AAki9-.jpg

KentuckyDawg13
08-24-2016, 07:12 AM
Dammit, getting old sucks.

notoriousdog
08-24-2016, 09:55 AM
Nice job! My only complaint would be that of all of the great local food spots you could have listed (Restaurant Tyler, Veranda, Bin 612, City Bagel, Com Bob's...hell even Dooey's or Petty's) you went with Mugshots and the Grill?

TheRef
08-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Nice job! My only complaint would be that of all of the great local food spots you could have listed (Restaurant Tyler, Veranda, Bin 612, City Bagel, Com Bob's...hell even Dooey's or Petty's) you went with Mugshots and the Grill?

I know...I know. I'll try to do a substantial edit on the actual wiki page since the post has already been buried in /r/collegebasketball due to new news.

MCsMGs
08-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Thanks! That represents a LOT of work!

I hope that State fans have not disowned Malik though...most rational fans recognize that he wasn't a good fit for us for any number of reasons, but IMO, we owe him a lot of gratitude for signing with us in the first place. His signing started the recruiting whirlwind that landed us in the position we are now in. I won't miss him from the team perspective, but I thank him for signing on.

MSUDawg99
08-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks! That represents a LOT of work!

I hope that State fans have not disowned Malik though...most rational fans recognize that he wasn't a good fit for us for any number of reasons, but IMO, we owe him a lot of gratitude for signing with us in the first place. His signing started the recruiting whirlwind that landed us in the position we are now in. I won't miss him from the team perspective, but I thank him for signing on.

Agreed!