PDA

View Full Version : Mike and mike reporting Manziel met with NCAA

SignalToNoise
08-27-2013, 07:06 AM
For six hours Sunday. Speculation is a two game suspension.

Sorry I don't have more details or sources. Posting from phone.

deltadawg99
08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
He'll be suspended for the opening kick off.

NCAA is a complete joke.

msstate7
08-27-2013, 07:17 AM
What a surprise! Alabama is game 3

smootness
08-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Speculation is a two game suspension.

If that's the case, then it is a really stupid decision on the NCAA's part. If you suspend him at all, that means you consider him guilty. If you consider him guilty of what is alleged, that is far worse than things like what Sidney did, what AJ Green did (he got 4 games), and in some ways worse than what happened with Reggie Bush.

So they're just destroying their own credibility even further by doing it. The far smarter decision, if you're trying to keep him playing in important games, is just to say, 'We couldn't find any evidence.' They should have done something similar in the Cam Newton case, too, but intead they felt it would lessen the outrage if they acknowledged that something happened. They definitely are incompetent.

Original48
08-27-2013, 08:27 AM
This only fuels the fire for a complete overhaul of our compliance department.

DawgInMemphis
08-27-2013, 08:32 AM
If they determine that he took money for all those autographs, especially if it's as much as is alleged (5 figures), there is no way he's not suspended for the entire season. Either he's going to play this year, or he's done IMHO.

Brahmabull
08-27-2013, 09:12 AM
I was told two weeks ago that before Sumlin ever spoke to Manziel about autograph gate that Slive had already told the A&M AD to sit him first two games and then he was good to go. Slive is like the Mafia Boss. He is calling all the shots.

maroonmania
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
If they determine that he took money for all those autographs, especially if it's as much as is alleged (5 figures), there is no way he's not suspended for the entire season. Either he's going to play this year, or he's done IMHO.

No, apparently those type suspensions or reserved for guys who are able to get a good deal on a car.

msstate7
08-27-2013, 09:28 AM
No, apparently those type suspensions or reserved for guys who are able to get a good deal on a car.

The haves vs the have nots. Hopefully the NCAA catches so much hell over Manziel that they give OM the death penalty...

messageboardsuperhero
08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
And Will Redmond gets a season and a half for a couple of $100 handshakes and a very common discount on a used Mustang that anyone could have gotten.

When will we learn that our way of doing things is outdated and backwards? It's not about going all out and cheating with reckless abandon, but we do need to protect ourselves and our players instead of throwing eachother to the sharks.

DawgInMemphis
08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
The haves vs the have nots. Hopefully the NCAA catches so much hell over Manziel that they give OM the death penalty...

USC and Ohio State are both "haves," and they got thumped pretty hard. I can see the NCAA not being able to prove anything (not that they need to) and JFF getting off scott free. However, if they find evidence, I don't see Manziel being eligible at all this year. If A&M plays him and he's ruled ineligible after the fact, the hammer will fall on A&M.

Original48
08-27-2013, 10:50 AM
However, if they find evidence, I don't see Manziel being eligible at all this year. If A&M plays him and he's ruled ineligible after the fact, the hammer will fall on A&M.
USC and Ohio St don't have Mike Slive running the show. Mikey Guns will not let the big boys of the SEC go down. He might as well have 'NCAA Enforcement Don' stamped on his business card. I do see him sacrificing a lower tier SEC school to appease the NCAA, enabling him to have 10 more years of business as usual for the cash cow BCS boys.

Bullmutt
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
It is a "have- have not" situation. As well, Slive sees his role as protecting the SEC "franchise". Seeing a CB recruit from a lower rung school get a harsh sentence doesn't draw nearly as much negative attention to the conference as would having the "face" (individual-wise) of the SEC (Hell- the face of college fb) suspended for a full year. It ain't right. It ain't just. It just is what it is.

M.Fillmore
08-27-2013, 10:53 PM

I like the way you think.