PDA

View Full Version : The truth about where the "Rebels" nickname came from

blacklistedbully
08-22-2016, 02:24 PM
After reading this asinine post from a Black Bear on Rivals I had to look it up and respond:

The Ole Miss connection to "Rebels" is not widely known. During the Civil War, the entire student body of Ole Miss joined the same unit. Every single one of them was killed or wounded on the left side of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. None returned to Ole Miss.

The name does not honor slavery. It honors those young students who never came back.

After a little digging I found this gem from the archives of The Oxford Eagle

On Nov. 2, 1929, the MISSISSIPPIAN announced a contest to name the Ole Miss athletic teams. The Cardinal Club, a campus service organization, would offer a handsome, engraved, silver loving cup and Coach Hazel offered five $3 Ole Miss-Mississippi A&M football tickets as a prize to the person that could come up with the best nickname for Ole Miss athletic teams.

The contest, sponsored by the MISSISSIPPIAN, would run until midnight on Nov. 29, 1929, when the names suggested would be turned over to the selection committee. The committee consisted of Coach Hazel; Chancellor Alfred Hume; Judge L.A. Smith of Holly Springs, the president of the Alumni Association; and Noel "Mally" Malone, president of the Associated Student Body. The committee was anxious to select a name that "symbolizes the spirit, traditions and ideals of the University of Mississippi. It should embody the very essence of Ole Miss - courage, loyalty, and quality."

In every issue of the campus newspaper until Nov. 19, articles were written asking for names to be submitted and listed names that had been already submitted. Some of the names suggested were the Confederates, Mississippi Flood, Cardinals, Rebels, Mississippi Torrent, Red and Blue Devils and The Magnolians. Names came from all parts of the country. The MISSISSIPPIAN reported that "many of the names are exceptionally good, others are medium and still others are really laughable."

On Nov. 23, 1929, the MISSISSIPPIAN reported that a name had been chosen. The "Mississippi Flood" was the name chosen by the selection committee. It had been submitted by Dick McCool Jr. of Canton, an Ole Miss student about 30 years before. Ed and Joe Dalstrom, current students, also were given credit for submitting the same name, but McCool was awarded the prize since he first suggested the name.

The second choice was a tie between the "Rebels" and the "Democrats." The third choice was the "Old Masters", a name that would surely caused uproar in today's era of political correctness.

"Flood" never caught on, so 6 years later they changed it to "Rebels".

msstate7
08-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Ole miss old masters... Nice. They should change it immediately along with bringing back the flags and dixie

M.Fillmore
08-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Ole Miss Democrats...that would have been funny.
Ole Miss Red and Blue Devils would have funny to watch Freeze spin.

SaintDawg
08-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Ole miss old masters... Nice. They should change it immediately along with bringing back the flags and dixie
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/135/sw50sw8sw578.gif

DawgPoundtheRock
08-22-2016, 03:15 PM
I think the Mississippi Flood is a pretty cool name. Obviously a reference to the great flood of 1926. They should have considered this instead of black bears.

Regardless, I would still loathe them.

Beaver
08-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Red and Blue Devils is the most OM name possible imo

the59dawg
08-22-2016, 06:14 PM
I think the Mississippi Flood is a pretty cool name. Obviously a reference to the great flood of 1926. They should have considered this instead of black bears.

Regardless, I would still loathe them.

I believe the great flood you are referencing occurred in 1929. Couple of books written about it. The levee broke at Greenville letting the delta flood everywhere south of there. It was 12 ft deep in Rolling Fork which is 12 miles fm the river at Mayersville and 40 miles south of Greenville. My grandfather's family was there and they moved to the second floor of the old family house there. Has to use boats for a while to go out.

TTrams
08-22-2016, 06:45 PM
1927 Granddad talked about it many times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mississippi_Flood_of_1927

msbulldog
08-22-2016, 07:12 PM
I believe the great flood you are referencing occurred in 1929. Couple of books written about it. The levee broke at Greenville letting the delta flood everywhere south of there. It was 12 ft deep in Rolling Fork which is 12 miles fm the river at Mayersville and 40 miles south of Greenville. My grandfather's family was there and they moved to the second floor of the old family house there. Has to use boats for a while to go out.

The flood was in 1927, the levee actually broke in what was known as Mounds Bend in those days, today it is known as Winterville. Winterville is about 10 miles north of Greenville. My Grandfather was a farmer about 10 miles south of Greenville. He had 2 children at the time, my aunt and uncle. He took my Grandmother and children to the levee in Greenville. They stayed there till Papa could negotiate for a boat to take them to Vicksburg. My aunt almost drowned on that journey.
There is an excellent older book called 'The Rising Tide' written by John M. Barry, it details the early history of the development of the Mississippi River in about the 1st third of the book. It also details the founding and development of Greenville and the Delta. The book gives a good recounting of the flood, all the way down to the bombing of the levee below New Orleans. Good Read!

Bdawg
08-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Just a little north of winterville is where it broke. Probably a little closer to Scott, MS. There is a hunting club there called '27 Break. The hunting club I'm in borders it to the north. Think when it broke people said they could hear the water coming. Trust me, we were a little nervous in 2011 too. There are places on the levee still getting repaired today after the '11 flood.

msbulldog
08-23-2016, 06:03 AM
Just a little north of winterville is where it broke. Probably a little closer to Scott, MS. There is a hunting club there called '27 Break. The hunting club I'm in borders it to the north. Think when it broke people said they could hear the water coming. Trust me, we were a little nervous in 2011 too. There are places on the levee still getting repaired today after the '11 flood.

You are absolutely correct I couldn't remember Scott, old home of DP&L. Delta Pine and Land used to be the worlds lagest cotton farm, once owned by the Queen of England. I was having a mind fart when I posted yesterday.