PDA

View Full Version : Keith Mixon

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Man, I'm excited to see this guy play.

What do you guys expect out of him this year?

The more I read & get the pulse of what he can do, the more excited I get about seeing him catch a bubble screen & go to work.

Could we use him in a Christian McCaffrey type of role?

tireddawg
08-22-2016, 10:14 AM
I don't know much about him, but I do know he was a TD machine in high school.

He's on the small side. Don't guess that matters. What's his 40 time?

HSVDawg
08-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Man, I'm excited to see this guy play.

What do you guys expect out of him this year?

The more I read & get the pulse of what he can do, the more excited I get about seeing him catch a bubble screen & go to work.

I'm excited about him, but I hope his hands have improved since the spring. He had several drops in the spring game, one of which led to an INT.

tcdog70
08-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Pocket Rocket-is his nickname.--Emory would say "quicker than a Hiccup"

shoeless joe
08-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Pocket Rocket-is his nickname.--Emory would say "quicker than a Hiccup"

U sure that nickname is in reference to his football abilities?

HoopsDawg
08-22-2016, 10:45 AM

No b/c McCaffery is about 6'0, 210. But I think we will try and get Mixon the ball in the open field. I would love for Dear and Mixon to be our 2 KO returners.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 10:48 AM
No b/c McCaffery is about 6'0, 210. But I think we will try and get Mixon the ball in the open field. I would love for Dear and Mixon to be our 2 KO returners.

Haha. You know Holloway has that on lockdown. FWIW, Holloway was #2 in return yards last year in the SEC, so I'm not sure I'd even be in favor of changing things up there unless their is an effort to lessen Holloway's work load to keep him healthy

Reason2succeed
08-22-2016, 11:00 AM
With a new QB there will be plenty of bubble screens this year for everyone.

msstate7
08-22-2016, 11:20 AM
With a new QB there will be plenty of bubble screens this year for everyone.

From fitz's limited opportunities, it looks like he throws the deep ball very well. Maybe this year, we run, run, run, run, and then try to go over the top

lamont
08-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Mixon is the 3rd slot behind an All-SEC player and Dear. His impact this season will be minimal

HoopsDawg
08-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Mixon is the 3rd slot behind an All-SEC player and Dear. His impact this season will be minimal

I think Ross is going to play outside at least 50% of the snaps. This will open the door for Dear and Mixon to play some slot. Also, if TE's don't perform better, we may run some double slot.

Bodawg
08-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Mixon's name is being brought up a lot by his fellow teammates during interviews. He is definitely making an impact at practice. He is bigger than Holloway and is as elusive.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2016, 01:49 PM
I think Ross is going to play outside at least 50% of the snaps. This will open the door for Dear and Mixon to play some slot. Also, if TE's don't perform better, we may run some double slot.

Yep I think we're going to see Ross, Gray, & Dear combination on field the most.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Someone mentioned Christian McCaffrey. I heard an interesting stat on him the other day. Christian McCaffrey had 3864 yards last year. Rocket Ismail had 4187 his entire career at Notre Dame (3 years). I know the game has changed, but I thought it was interesting.

Edited to say that Ismail had 836, 1628, and 1723 in his 3 years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-22-2016, 01:58 PM

And with Todd going down as an outside WR, it's going to open the door even more.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2016, 02:02 PM
And with Todd going down as an outside WR, it's going to open the door even more.

Todd was most likely headed for a RS so that doesn't effect the situation. Couch is the true freshmen most likely to play at WR.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Todd was most likely headed for a RS so that doesn't effect the situation. Couch is the true freshmen most likely to play at WR.

I understand...it still takes depth away from the position. Either way, Couch has to step up and stay healthy.

deltadawg99
08-22-2016, 04:03 PM
I hope this isn't like the time that Croom said that we had a "secret weapon" and he burned Arceto Clark's redshirt in like the 8th game of the year on a 2 yard reverse against MTSU in 2008.

Good lord, I just looked it up to make sure that I had my year right and other than a 24 point win over Southeastetn Louisiana, we won the other 3 games by a total of 15 points. Beat Vandy (finished 7-6) 17-14, beat MTSU (finished 5-7) 31-23 and beat Arkansas (finished 5-7) 31-28.

Todd4State
08-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I hope this isn't like the time that Croom said that we had a "secret weapon" and he burned Arceto Clark's redshirt in like the 8th game of the year on a 2 yard reverse against MTSU in 2008.

Good lord, I just looked it up to make sure that I had my year right and other than a 24 point win over Southeastetn Louisiana, we won the other 3 games by a total of 15 points. Beat Vandy (finished 7-6) 17-14, beat MTSU (finished 5-7) 31-23 and beat Arkansas (finished 5-7) 31-28.

Mixon has already redshirted so no chance of that happening. Unless you are referring to Couch who we really shouldn't redshirt because we need a WR over 6'2" at the very least for redzone situations.

Todd4State
08-22-2016, 04:59 PM
If it were me, I would use Mixon in Holloway's role as the chance of pace speed guy/back. Remember Holloway started out as a WR way back in 2013 before we moved him to RB which was obviously a good position switch. I think Mixon could potentially better than Holloway when he is an upperclassman because I think he has better hands than Holloway and could be used as a WR/RB more than we use Holloway. And Holloway is a good receiver as a running back so I'm not slighting him. I'm just excited about Mixon's ceiling and potential as a player.

But as far as this year, I expect Mixon to be a 1-2 touch a game guy and sees the bulk of his action and touches against non-SEC teams. When Holloway graduates I think he will see his action increase. Also as far as slot WR, I really like Deddrick Thomas's potential as well as Jonnas Spivey who I could see playing outside or slot and those guys are all in the same class as Mixon so it makes sense to expand Mixon's role to maximize his skill set. Not to mention Malik Dear as well who I could see leaving after his junior year.

Todd4State
08-22-2016, 05:03 PM

It's too soon to know but I wonder if we will medically redshirt Todd and Dontae Jones? Rumor is we aren't going to take a TE in this class other than possibly Pierce and we have a ton of underclassmen TE's. That would split up the classes among TE's some. Todd was pretty raw as a football player although his talent is way up there. I'd hate for him to spend his redshirt year recovering.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
It's too soon to know but I wonder if we will medically redshirt Todd and Dontae Jones? Rumor is we aren't going to take a TE in this class other than possibly Pierce and we have a ton of underclassmen TE's. That would split up the classes among TE's some. Todd was pretty raw as a football player although his talent is way up there. I'd hate for him to spend his redshirt year recovering.

They would have to lose another year to injury in order to use a medical RS instead of a regular RS.

mic
08-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Todd was / is going to red shirt.
We have lots of talent at WR..

Dallas_Dawg
08-22-2016, 06:33 PM
I hope we have been practicing the hell out of screen plays. Ross, Myles, Dear and Mixon is an elite group of YAC receivers

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Coach G said today that Mixon is learning to play outside. Maybe they figure a 4.3 guy can go deep.

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Coach G said today that Mixon is learning to play outside. Maybe they figure a 4.3 guy can go deep.

I don't see how that works. Ross could play outside, but Mixon who is 5'8" playing outside makes little sense.

Bothrops
08-22-2016, 07:39 PM

Pierce is the TE for this class.

lamont
08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't see how that works. Ross could play outside, but Mixon who is 5'8" playing outside makes little sense.

Steve Smith disagrees

thf24
08-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Some of you are too hung up on height for outside receivers. As a receiver all you need is separation, it doesn't matter how. Some do it with size and physicality, others do it with speed and quickness. It doesn't matter if you're shorter than your defender if you can shake and outrun him.

mic
08-22-2016, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Random Poster;595901]Steve Smith disagrees[/QUOTE

This ... Can EVERYONE please stop worrying about which WR lines up where...
It doesn't make a **** ... Just get the best players on the field..
Look at the top 10 NFL WR this year.. I bet half are 6'0 or under ..

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Desaun Jackson & Tyrone Prothro were short outside relievers as well. Speed is speed.

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Some of you are too hung up on height for outside receivers. As a receiver all you need is separation, it doesn't matter how. Some do it with size and physicality, others do it with speed and quickness. It doesn't matter if you're shorter than your defender if you can shake and outrun him.

Yeah, but our offense has been heavy with back shoulder throws, jump balls, and our outside WR blocking for our slot guy to go around him and get big yards.

You can't do that with 5'8" as easily.

The only two WRs under 6'0" in the top 10 are Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham both of whom are 5'11" and freak athletes.

Maybe we will be using a much different offense this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Keith won't play outside but Coach G likes to teach guys every WR position.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Steve Smith disagrees

This comparison applies to Donald Gray

lamont
08-22-2016, 08:48 PM
This comparison applies to Donald Gray

absolutely

Homedawg
08-22-2016, 08:48 PM

Medical redshirt. Regular redshirt. No difference. There is a medical 6the year hardship which is awarded after one has completed all of their eligibility. So as of today they are both getting redshirted and it doesn't matter for what reason.

Todd4State
08-23-2016, 12:45 AM
Per the NFL Top 100 players of 2016 list there are 17 WR’s on the list.
8 of the top 10 are 6’0” or taller and one of the ones that us under 6’0” is a slot receiver- Antonio Brown. The other one is Odell Beckham, Jr. at 5’11” who is primarily an outside WR.

Of the 17 on the list 11 are listed at 6’0” or taller. Some of these are slot receivers or play the slot a good bit such as Brown and Julian Edelman. Obviously some play both slot and outside.

The list in numerical order per the NFL Network:

Antonio Brown- 5’10”
Julio Jones- 6’3”
Odell Beckham, Jr. 5’11”
AJ Green- 6’4”
DeAndre Hopkins- 6’1”
Brandon Marshall- 6’4”
Larry Fitzgerald- 6’3”
Allen Robinson- 6’3”
Dez Bryant- 6’2”
DeMaryius Thomas- 6’3”
Doug Baldwin- 5’10”
Emmanuel Sanders- 5’11”
Julian Edelman- 5’10’
Allen Hurns- 6’3”
Jeremy Maclim- 6’0”
Sammy Watkins- 6’1”
Jarvis Landry- 5’11”

Todd4State
08-23-2016, 01:05 AM
For clarification since I can’t edit my post for some reason- Antonio Brown plays slot and outside.

Spiderman
08-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Never have figured out how we beat Ark. that year. Had to be some point shaving going on

HSVDawg
08-23-2016, 09:28 AM

I must not have been paying attention, but what happened with Todd? Was he hurt in camp or did he come in with an injury?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
I must not have been paying attention, but what happened with Todd? Was he hurt in camp or did he come in with an injury?

He was hurt in the last scrimmage.

thf24
08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Never have figured out how we beat Ark. that year. Had to be some point shaving going on

I remember the last drive being a real head scratcher. They were rolling only to suddenly stall at something like our 25-30, and shanked the ever living **** out of the tying field goal attempt. Not calling foul play necessarily, that was just a really weird ending to that game.

HSVDawg
08-23-2016, 12:14 PM
He was hurt in the last scrimmage.

What type of injury?

mic
08-23-2016, 12:55 PM
What type of injury?
He will be ok.. Was redshirting anyway... And won't be lost for the season..