PDA

View Full Version : Where we are as a program

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:01 PM
2014- Great season- Mullen is the toast of college football. No big jobs open up he would want except Florida- and he knew there was no chance there with him and Foley. Plus Dakota was returning- stand pat and negotiate the contract extension.

2015- OL is dogshit and Prescott starts the season with cracked ribs from an Auto accident. Minimize running for the QB. Team finishes 8-4 and interesting jobs open up for Mullen. Mullen knows the talent level is dropping off plus the Mississippi NCAA investigation, their tactics, forces him to look at other options. Thinks he has Miami job- then Mark Richt becomes available and Mullen is pushed aside. Georgia AD- Mullen's buddy- doesnt have the stroke to hire him yet- he loses that chance. Megan is adament she doesnt want to go to Maryland- Mullen says no thank you.

Jan 2016- Mullen realizes he better kiss some Admin ass and hire the best recruiters he can to improve the program. Miami teaches him he isnt an "A-list" coach just yet. He better work his ass off to secure a future. Realizes his road is about to get bumpy.

Fall 2016- Mullen saw this coming and better be ready to handle the outcome

This post is based on real life situations and stories. Parental Discretion is advised

msstate7
08-20-2016, 10:04 PM
When Mullen wins 8 this year, I'll be happy and you'll be mad

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:08 PM

I'll be in the Scoreboard Club for every home game this season. If we go 8-4- I'll be ecstatic and even happier because I love the BBQ nachos they serve. Mullen wins 8 this year with this team-he is the mf'ing Man.

msstate7
08-20-2016, 10:08 PM
I'll be in the Scoreboard Club for every home game this season. If we go 8-4- I'll be ecstatic and even happier because I love the BBQ nachos they serve. Mullen wins 8 this year with this team-he is the mf'ing Man.

What about 7? Would he be mullenbury then?

missouridawg
08-20-2016, 10:10 PM

I really don't see 8 wins as a stretch. 9 wins would be a stretch, but not 8. 7 is expected with this schedule.

shoeless joe
08-20-2016, 10:22 PM
We're fine.

Some things have occurred that I don't like, regarding Mullen. But a fire may have been lit to try to get himself mentioned in the upper echelon of coaches.

Some things arent as bad as internet coaches think. Some areas are trending up, some are status quo. But new staff may help in those areas. If we can go bowling in a "rebuilding year" then there's no comparison to any other time in our programs history.

I ALWAYS refer to the side of coaches knowing more than we as fans do despite what latest internet meme exists regarding the program. And developing and getting the most out of players hasn't been an issue the last 8 years.

The sky is not falling...in fact the ceiling has risen. I'm looking forward to an exciting year where I think we may lose one we shouldn't but may jump up and bite a team we shouldn't.

MarketingBully
8-4 and 9-4 with a bowl game is how i see it. Not sure why you are so negative with our easy schedule. It's about as easy as they come.

SDDawg
Mark it down - 8 and celebrate.

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:25 PM
I really don't see 8 wins as a stretch. 9 wins would be a stretch, but not 8. 7 is expected with this schedule.

We'll just disagree

Every SEC West team has more talent than us. Home games vs Auburn and UPig give us a chance. Bama, LSU, Mississippi, and A&M are going to pimp us

confucius say
08-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Where are we as a program? Better than any other time in modern history. And we have Mullen to thank for that. If he leaves tomorrow he would have taken our program to a place our fanbase didn't think was possible a decade ago when we were begging just to be 6-6. Agenda much?

EngDawg
08-20-2016, 10:27 PM
I'll be happy with .500 this year. Anyone who wants Mullen to leave is an idiot. Its between him and JWS for the second best coach in our history, the best being Darrel Royal who made himself at Texas. While I want continuous improvement as much as anybody, I don't think magically and don't expect unrealistic things from our program. Engdawg out.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:30 PM
We'll just disagree

Every SEC West team has more talent than us. Home games vs Auburn and UPig give us a chance. Bama, LSU, Mississippi, and A&M are going to pimp us

Lol, Arkansas doesn't. Auburn is a dumpster fire right now. A&M might quit by the time we play them. LSU and Alabama have more talent then any teams in the country let alone us. Ole Miss has more talent then us because they cheat like a mofo. We should still be 4-4 with SEC west wins over Arkansas and Auburn at our place and we are winning against the two shit SEC east teams on our schedule. Like I said, 8-4 and 9-4 with the bowl win.

confucius say
08-20-2016, 10:33 PM
We'll just disagree

That's 4 losses you just guaranteed. I'll guarantee 4 wins (USA, Samford, umass, USCe). That leaves 4 toss ups, two of which are at home (ark and aub), one of which has never beaten Mullen (Ky), and byu.

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Where are we as a program? Better than any other time in modern history. And we have Mullen to thank for that. If he leaves tomorrow he would have taken our program to a place our fanbase didn't think was possible a decade ago when we were begging just to be 6-6. Agenda much?

I really dont understand this post. Yes- we are better than at any other time in our history- we also have more money and resources than at any time in our history. We are supposed to be doing this. I have marked your username down and welcome you to return to debate me should we go 6-6 with a 2 TD loss to Mississippi in the Egg Bowl. I have a hard time thinking people will see things the same way then

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:35 PM
I'll be happy with .500 this year. Anyone who wants Mullen to leave is an idiot.

Why are you mentioning coaches leaving? We are just talking about his season and predictions on performance

Gutter Cobreh
08-20-2016, 10:35 PM
We'll just disagree

You're off here. Talent doesn't equate to automatic wins. I suspect UM implodes mid season as does A&M (remember something within the program pushed their #1 and #2 QBs to leave after last season).

If we don't have a "let down" game, 9 wins is very realistic... Mark this post down so you don't forget that your projected us to get pimped by those 4 teams...

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Lol, Arkansas doesn't. Auburn is a dumpster fire right now. A&M might quit by the time we play them. LSU and Alabama have more talent then any teams in the country let alone us. Ole Miss has more talent then us because they cheat like a mofo. We should still be 4-4 with SEC west wins over Arkansas and Auburn at our place and we are winning against the two shit SEC east teams on our schedule. Like I said, 8-4 and 9-4 with the bowl win.

Thats your OPINION. When it doesnt play out that way- lets talk

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:40 PM
This is a 2012 schedule with better talent. We will go 8-4 with losses to LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, and probably A&M. We have a lot of talent on our team on both sides of the ball. Better yet, teams more then likely overlook us. There is also a really good chance that both A&M and Auburn have new coaches next year as well. Sumlin has put all his eggs in the Trevor Knight basket and if he fails A&M will suck this year. Auburn has no real good QB option either this year to run Malzhan's offense. With some of the huge question marks other teams have (and there are many), we are more likely to go 9-3 then 6-6.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:41 PM
I guess Random Poster's agenda has gone from Stans to Mullen. I doubt this ends like that one did.

EngDawg
08-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Why are you mentioning coaches leaving? We are just talking about his season and predictions on performance

I'm not happy with your post

HoopsDawg
08-20-2016, 10:43 PM
A&M is going to be ugly. Let's say Durr and Smokey can slow down Speedy and Seals-Jones, who is going to stop Kirk? They may put 50 on us.

Liverpooldawg
08-20-2016, 10:45 PM
2014- Great season- Mullen is the toast of college football. No big jobs open up he would want except Florida- and he knew there was no chance there with him and Foley. Plus Dakota was returning- stand pat and negotiate the contract extension.

2015- OL is dogshit and Prescott starts the season with cracked ribs from an Auto accident. Minimize running for the QB. Team finishes 8-4 and interesting jobs open up for Mullen. Mullen knows the talent level is dropping off plus the Mississippi NCAA investigation, their tactics, forces him to look at other options. Thinks he has Miami job- then Mark Richt becomes available and Mullen is pushed aside. Georgia AD- Mullen's buddy- doesnt have the stroke to hire him yet- he loses that chance. Megan is adament she doesnt want to go to Maryland- Mullen says no thank you.

Jan 2016- Mullen realizes he better kiss some Admin ass and hire the best recruiters he can to improve the program. Miami teaches him he isnt an "A-list" coach just yet. He better work his ass off to secure a future. Realizes his road is about to get bumpy.

This post is based on real life situations and stories. Parental Discretion is advised

I was at a meeting with some NEW money BIG Dawgs this week, one of the bigger ones in fact. They will be satisfied with 6-6 this year and will be HAPPY with anything better, and so will I. Allyn McKeen says hello Random 34.

confucius say
08-20-2016, 10:46 PM
I really dont understand this post. Yes- we are better than at any other time in our history- we also have more money and resources than at any time in our history. We are supposed to be doing this. I have marked your username down and welcome you to return to debate me should we go 6-6 with a 2 TD loss to Mississippi in the Egg Bowl. I have a hard time thinking people will see things the same way then

If we go 6-6 I will feel the same way. I expect 7-5 but 6-6 is very possible. Mullen, who is for sure flawed, will still be our best fb coach in modern history.

Oh, and every team in the sec has more $ and resources than ever before. How many of them are in the best stretch of their program's modern history? I'll wait.

Liverpooldawg
08-20-2016, 10:46 PM
I guess Random Poster's agenda has gone from Stans to Mullen. I doubt this ends like that one did.

He is trying to recreate what he sees as his glory days. Let THAT sink in.

msstate7
08-20-2016, 10:47 PM
A&M is going to be ugly. Let's say Durr and Smokey can slow down Speedy and Seals-Jones, who is going to stop Kirk? They may put 50 on us.

Maybe... What if knight goes down? Hubenak is horrible

Liverpooldawg
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM

The program is in better shape than it has EVER been except under Allyn McKeen. You seem to want to recreate THAT. Why? It took us 70 years to get back to that level after what we did to him.

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:49 PM
I was at a meeting with some NEW money BIG Dawgs this week, one of the bigger ones in fact. They will be satisfied with 6-6 this year and will be HAPPY with anything better, and so will I.

Ok? That still doesnt mean he gets a contract extension

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:50 PM
Maybe... What if knight goes down? Hubenak is horrible

Hubenak is every bit as good as what we have at QB- let that sink in

EngDawg
08-20-2016, 10:51 PM
So C34 is back editing my posts hmmmmm....
Any way what do I care. Y'all can continue in fantasy land on this board. Hope everybody realizes that being overly critical on our coaches is not helpful to the program in the long run. EngDawg out goodnight everybody.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:54 PM

Who's going to throw the ball to them? We play A&M after they will have played Bama. Knight is shit under pressure and has only had one great game in his career. He played against a disinterested Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl. If we are able to keep him off balanced with steady defensive pressure and disguise our looks in the secondary we should be able to shut him down. A&M is not as good as you guys are making them out to be.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:56 PM

Bullshit.

lamont
08-20-2016, 10:56 PM
He is trying to recreate what he sees as his glory days. Let THAT sink in.

Liverpool- you clearly said in Nov-Dec that Mullen wasnt looking around and that it was media BS. You were proven to be embarrassingly wrong. You probably should just sit this one out.

HoopsDawg
08-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Who's going to throw the ball to them? We play A&M after they will have played Bama. Knight is shit under pressure and has only had one great game in his career. He played against a disinterested Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl. If we are able to keep him off balanced with steady defensive pressure and disguise our looks in the secondary we should be able to shut him down. A&M is not as good as you guys are making them out to be.

Haven't they owned us in every game but 1? They weren't good last year and beat us fairly easily. It's not a good match up for us. They have great WRs and great DEs. Knight will be good in that offense.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 10:58 PM

The walkon from EMCC who beat out the Auburn QB is better then Hubenak. Let that sink in.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Haven't they owned us in every game but 1? They weren't good last year and beat us fairly easily. It's not a good match up for us. They have great WRs and great DEs. Knight will be good in that offense.

Two times they had Manziel. Last year they had two five star QBs that they played and it was still an early enough game where they hadn't quit yet after playing Alabama.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Off the cuff, I say 7 wins, but this team has a ton of questions and I need to see them play.

I think some guys will step up on the OL and at CB. It just works that way when talented guys get opportunities.

If Jiles just broke his arm, he'll only be out 4-6 weeks meaning he could help out in Oct and November. So really we are just losing Cleveland.

BeardoMSU
08-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Mullen wins 8 this year with this team-he is the mf'ing Man.

Except you'll be losing your shit when one of those 4 losses is OM.

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Bullshit.

We'll see shortly

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:05 PM
The walkon from EMCC who beat out the Auburn QB is better then Hubenak. Let that sink in.

Hubenak would start for us

BeardoMSU
08-20-2016, 11:06 PM

Geez...that's some serious swamps of sadness you're trompin' through.

MarketingBully
We'll see shortly

Yes we will.

ckDOG
Dak had broken ribs from a car crash? Where the hell have I been?

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Two times they had Manziel. Last year they had two five star QBs that they played and it was still an early enough game where they hadn't quit yet after playing Alabama.

So we have to wait for Alabama to make them quit for us to beat them????

A&M beats us 14+- their 4-5 star WR's are going to rape us

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Hubenak would start for us

This is some really dumb shit you are stating here. Very laughable.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 11:08 PM

Lol.

BeardoMSU
08-20-2016, 11:09 PM
This thread is full of win.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-57232-wow-what-a-totally-amazing-exc-mw4H.gif

Tripp McNeely
08-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Where we are as a program is an 8+ win team every year. If that's not enough for you as a Mississippi State fan, you must've "joined the party" 2 years ago

Also, the "structural change" that were about to be the beneficiary of due to the "mistakes" of our brethren to the North is going to be monumental. Their downfall will likely mean an annualized 2 win swing for our program over the next 15 years. 1 win against them and 1+ wins because of our ability to take back the instate kids they have gotten over the last 10 years that we'll be able to cherry pick now. That kind of structural change, coupled with our relative coaching continuity, could change our landscape for 20+ years

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 11:10 PM

Yeah, I never heard that either

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Random Poster gotta Random Poster....

Bored on a Saturday night and wants some clicks. Who should I antagonize?? Our obsessive friends up north or troll my own insecure fans?? Hmmm, we just lost 2 guys, lets see if I can hit 2,000 views before midnight.

BeardoMSU
08-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Random Poster gotta Random Poster....

Bored on a Saturday night and wants some clicks. Who should I antagonize?? Our obsessive friends up north or troll my own insecure fans?? Hmmm, we just lost 2 guys, lets see if I can hit 2,000 views before midnight.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

Nail. On. Head.

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:16 PM
This is some really dumb shit you are stating here. Very laughable.

This is so deja vu- just like talking about howTyler Russell wasnt going to be a good fit for our offense back in 2010

Todd4State
08-20-2016, 11:17 PM
I was at 6-6 before the season. I?ll go to 7-5 because my initial prediction was before Auburn decided to implode.

This will be like 1986 again. We?ll be 7-1 going into November and then I expect things to come to a head and we crap out. That?s actually pretty close to what happened in 2012.

msstate7
08-20-2016, 11:18 PM
This is so deja vu- just like talking about howTyler Russell wasnt going to be a good fit for our offense back in 2010

But Jake hubenak would be better...

Career rushing totals = 15 rushes 7 yards

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:19 PM

Dak had cracked ribs from a car crash with his G/f 2 weeks before we played the Nasty Bunch. His running was limited early on because of it. You didnt hear about it because Mullen doesnt let that shit slip out.

MarketingBully
08-20-2016, 11:21 PM

How is it deja vu? You are stating that a dog shit QB from A&M would start for us. He is shit and they are a hurt Trevor Knight from depending on him at A&M.

Bothrops
08-20-2016, 11:29 PM
A&M is a bad matchup for us. Hopefully our knew defense will make this game tighter.

LSU and Bama are far too talented, and aren't our rivals in football, despite how much I've tried to get us to hate them.

Auburn will be beatable by the top 10 teams in the league. We're among them.

Arkansas is LESS talented than Mississippi State at every position group except OL and RB-although we're deeper there.

We are more talented than Kentucky, but not by any huge amount.

SC is the only other team in the league besides Bama, Mullen has yet to beat. That ends in a few weeks.

Ole Mi$$ has been a had matchup for us recently. But this year a lot of things could happen before November to change some things. Mullen is sick of this shit, trust me.

Really Clark?
08-20-2016, 11:43 PM

This is deja vu alright. But I was thinking more like 2013 and how Mullen had peaked here and some were wanting to bring in Hud right then. Funny thing happened the following years...

TUSK
08-20-2016, 11:51 PM

if Knight reverts '14 Sugar Bowl form, it'll be bad for several SEC teams... those cats could be 6-6 to 10-2, depending on QB play, IMO.

Tripp McNeely
08-20-2016, 11:54 PM
if Knight reverts '14 Sugar Bowl form, it'll be bad for several SEC teams... those cats could be 6-6 to 10-2, depending on QB play, IMO.

There's a reason he's at A&M and not guiding the OK offense right now. Go watch his play versus friggin Big 12 defenses before Baker beat him out

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:55 PM
But Jake hubenak would be better...

Career rushing totals = 15 rushes 7 yards

A&M runs their offense differently from us.

Damien Williams-our starting QB- has 53/175 yards- 3.3 yards per carry. Take away the miracle 25 yard rush in OT vs UPig? Damien is 52 carries/ 150 yards and 2.88 yards per carry for his career

Passing?

Williams- 37/70 334 yards...
Hubenak- 40/75...399 yards

What makes Damien better than Hubenak- the guy that will be A&M's back-up. Yet Damien will be our starter?

lamont
08-20-2016, 11:57 PM
This is deja vu alright. But I was thinking more like 2013 and how Mullen had peaked here and some were wanting to bring in Hud right then. Funny thing happened the following years...

yet I stood by Mullen- and others wanted to cut bait

TUSK
08-21-2016, 12:05 AM
There's a reason he's at A&M and not guiding the OK offense right now. Go watch his play versus friggin Big 12 defenses before Baker beat him out

the point still stands... if he's much "above average", A&M will be a hand full...

I could be way off base, but I think Knight & A&M are a good fit....

GTHOM
08-21-2016, 12:23 AM
I have absolutely no clue why some of y'all think we are all of a sudden going to suck. Mullen has his flaws, some are frustratingly repetitive and hard to grasp but he has been consistent and Im not worried about going 6-6. IF we go 6-6 with this schedule it wouldnt bother me a bit if he looks around. Im not worried because thats not going to happen. Dont understand why some are so down on this team, the talent on D is NFL level, Mullen will find a way on offense. Fitz is gonna be good he has all the physical tools in the world hes just gonna have to learn. I expect some WTF plays and some Wow plays. At least it wont be predictable like Mullen has been. 9-4, 8-5 season. Hopefully beating a OM team that sees the writing on the wall

Noxdog
08-21-2016, 12:25 AM
This board has been deader than whale shit. More entertaining now.

GTHOM
08-21-2016, 12:29 AM

Damien Williams-our starting QB- has 53/175 yards- 3.3 yards per carry. Take away the miracle 25 yard rush in OT vs UPig? Damien is 52 carries/ 150 yards and 2.88 yards per carry for his career

Passing?

What makes Damien better than Hubenak- the guy that will be A&M's back-up. Yet Damien will be our starter?

Man I'd like to know where you get these facts from. Dak with broken ribs and Damien is the starter. If Damien Williams starts the majority of the season it means 1 of 2 things, 1. Our other QBs are AWFUL or 2. D-Will has developed tremendously and shocks all of us. I dont dislike him I think he played about as well as you could have asked him too in 2013. He's not as good as Fitz. Tiano has yet to play in a game so I'll wait on him

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 12:43 AM
I have absolutely no clue why some of y'all think we are all of a sudden going to suck. Mullen has his flaws, some are frustratingly repetitive and hard to grasp but he has been consistent and Im not worried about going 6-6. IF we go 6-6 with this schedule it wouldnt bother me a bit if he looks around. Im not worried because thats not going to happen. Dont understand why some are so down on this team, the talent on D is NFL level, Mullen will find a way on offense. Fitz is gonna be good he has all the physical tools in the world hes just gonna have to learn. I expect some WTF plays and some Wow plays. At least it wont be predictable like Mullen has been. 9-4, 8-5 season. Hopefully beating a OM team that sees the writing on the wall

If Dan looks around again, I hope it’s someone good because from what I understand if he goes shopping again he won’t be here next year.

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 12:48 AM
Man I'd like to know where you get these facts from. Dak with broken ribs and Damien is the starter. If Damien Williams starts the majority of the season it means 1 of 2 things, 1. Our other QBs are AWFUL or 2. D-Will has developed tremendously and shocks all of us. I dont dislike him I think he played about as well as you could have asked him too in 2013. He's not as good as Fitz. Tiano has yet to play in a game so I'll wait on him

Or maybe it means that Damien has been around a little bit longer.

I feel pretty confident that Damien is going to start. It’s clear that Nick is better. So, they’re already starting the rumors about the players not liking Nick and Nick being a party animal so that our fans won’t be WTF is Nick not starting.

If that doesn’t fly, it will be something about Damien reads defenses better than Nick, Fitz hasn’t learned how to block, Nick doesn’t know any of the plays despite being here for three years, Nick and Fred Ross are fighting over the same girl and Fred won’t catch his passes. Feel free to add any others that I left out.

WPS
08-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Arkansas is LESS talented than Mississippi State at every position group except OL and RB-although we're deeper there.

We do have four 4* QBs on the depth chart and I would probably take us at TE. You'd definitely win LB and secondary. Everywhere else might be a wash.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2016, 12:57 AM
We do have four 4* QBs on the depth chart and I would probably take us at TE. You'd definitely win LB and secondary. Everywhere else might be a wash.

We are also better on the DL, WR, and we have 3 or 4 4 star RB, depending on what Murphy was (1 of which can pass block but can't run and the others can apparently run but not pass block, but we start the other one that may have been a 2 star). You are better on the OL, have higher rated QBs, and, according to this thread, should have better CBs so long as they have two legs and all their toes. However, the QB thing is fluid though because our head coach may be one of the best 3 or 4 QB developers in America. Since Mullen has been at MSU we've run out a solid QB, but no one on this board truly knows what we'll get from that position this year.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 01:13 AM
A&M is a bad matchup for us. Hopefully our knew defense will make this game tighter.

LSU and Bama are far too talented, and aren't our rivals in football, despite how much I've tried to get us to hate them.

Auburn will be beatable by the top 10 teams in the league. We're among them.

We are more talented than Kentucky, but not by any huge amount.

SC is the only other team in the league besides Bama, Mullen has yet to beat. That ends in a few weeks.

Ole Mi$$ has been a had matchup for us recently. But this year a lot of things could happen before November to change some things. Mullen is sick of this shit, trust me.

That is an extremely fair and reasonable assessment. Not to many of those going on these days.

WPS
08-21-2016, 01:26 AM
We are also better on the DL, WR, and we have 3 or 4 4 star RB, depending on what Murphy was (1 of which can pass block but can't run and the others can apparently run but not pass block, but we start the other one that may have been a 2 star). You are better on the OL, have higher rated QBs, and, according to this thread, should have better CBs so long as they have two legs and all their toes. However, the QB thing is fluid though because our head coach may be one of the best 3 or 4 QB developers in America. Since Mullen has been at MSU we've run out a solid QB, but no one on this board truly knows what we'll get from that position this year.

Lol did you see our game last year? Pretty sure Fred Ross is still breaking tackles.

Most of us think WR and DL are our two best units on the team this year. They both have a ton of seniors and we get our best WR from 2014 back after missing last year with an injury in Keon Hatcher and add 5* McTelvin Agim to the DL. It may sound atypical of a Bielema team, but most of us are worried about the OL this year with three new starters. DL has been blowing them up so far in camp.

Also aside from punting and maybe punt returns our special teams is horrible so you win that too

SallyStansbury
08-21-2016, 06:56 AM

I feel pretty confident that Damien is going to start. It?s clear that Nick is better. So, they?re already starting the rumors about the players not liking Nick and Nick being a party animal so that our fans won?t be WTF is Nick not starting.

If that doesn?t fly, it will be something about Damien reads defenses better than Nick, Fitz hasn?t learned how to block, Nick doesn?t know any of the plays despite being here for three years, Nick and Fred Ross are fighting over the same girl and Fred won?t catch his passes. Feel free to add any others that I left out.

Dan has a swag aversion for players and an intense risk aversion for strategy and game planning. I was hoping he could play Cleveland (12 yards off the line of scrimmage of course with Sirmon shaking his head on the sideline) ahead of more talented CB's and get the "time in our system, knows how to wrap up, etc..." Bullshit out of his system there, but with an ACL for Cleveland, this tendency may be transferred back to our QB.

Williams and Shumpert on the read option behind our OLine are gonna be magic**

Dawg61
08-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Old Misses has a good QB and a couple good WRs. That's IT!! We will beat OM this year.

MarketingBully
08-21-2016, 07:34 AM

You guys recruit at a top 40 to 30 level. We are more at a top 25 level year over year. Not great for the SEC West but about ten spots better then Arkansas. You guys will be a 6 to 8 win team but I don't think you guys beat us this year.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2016, 07:42 AM

I read one half of the this thread any you are really being a dick.

MarketingBully
08-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Passing?

So you're basing all your crap on Damien Williams starting the first game? That's just shit because he is not going to be our eventual starter. Tiano and Fits are the guys we will go with. We would only go with Williams because we can. We aren't even playing a good team until week three. We are at a luxury where we can bring Fits/Tiano along slowly and have one of them win the job as we go along. Now if Williams is the QB Dan goes with for the year he is dumb as hell. We aren't winning at a significant level with Damien Williams at QB.

basedog
08-21-2016, 07:53 AM
ED has copied 1A/C34 and 1B/Random Poster. I have grown to enjoy the post by 34 and now I realize cousin Random has picked up the pace.

I kinda agree with Random on 6-6 but my concern isn't so much with coaching as it is with our QB play. Also I think we may be a little better with the OL but depth has me concerned. I'm thinking we will play 3 RB's and hopefully they are much improved. Wide outs should be really good with not much drop off if any as we have some home run guys. Kicking game should be really good again. Have not a clue about defense, surely coaching is better on this side of the ball.

I'm thinking 6-6 but two more wins is a possibility. Random tell your cousin 34 I'm thinking of picking up shannondawg and geezer to see your offense scheme, hell we may be the Cigar Boys at your school or at least 2 of them might!

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2016, 08:01 AM

I feel pretty confident that Damien is going to start. It’s clear that Nick is better. So, they’re already starting the rumors about the players not liking Nick and Nick being a party animal so that our fans won’t be WTF is Nick not starting.

If that doesn’t fly, it will be something about Damien reads defenses better than Nick, Fitz hasn’t learned how to block, Nick doesn’t know any of the plays despite being here for three years, Nick and Fred Ross are fighting over the same girl and Fred won’t catch his passes. Feel free to add any others that I left out.

You forgot "coach diddled a Pom squad girl who was the daughter of a major booster" - oh wait, that will be reserved for the"hot seat" period.

missouridawg
08-21-2016, 08:24 AM

Didn't they have all 3 against us last year? And only got to 31 at home? And did this prior to their annual November melt down?

MarketingBully
08-21-2016, 08:26 AM
It would be a huge disappointment if Williams starts at QB for significant time this year as this is one of the easiest schedules in the SEC and Dan is significantly lowering our ceiling by starting a below average QB in the SEC. 8-4 is very doable with Fitz or Tiano at QB. We lost Staley because he put Williams above him? Both Fits and Staley are much more talented then Williams and in fact I would say Williams is the fourth most talented QB we have. I think even the walkon is more talented. 6-6 is our ceiling with Williams at QB but as I said before I don't think Williams is our long term starter this year.

basedog
08-21-2016, 08:39 AM
It would be a huge disappointment if Williams starts at QB for significant time this year as this is one of the easiest schedules in the SEC and Dan is significantly lowering our ceiling by starting a below average QB in the SEC. 8-4 is very doable with Fitz or Tiano at QB. We lost Staley because he put Williams above him? Both Fits and Staley are much more talented then Williams and in fact I would say Williams is the fourth most talented QB we have. I think even the walkon is more talented. 6-6 is our ceiling with Williams at QB but as I said before I don't think Williams is our long term starter this year.

One thing for sure, we will never know about Staley, he was hurt most of his career and from what I gathered wasn't much on off season practice. Not sure he was better than Williams although I can't see Williams as a Sec QB either. Enough of the Staley talk.

MaroonFlounder
08-21-2016, 08:53 AM
I didn't know Dak was in a wreck and had cracked ribs. Why was that kept under wraps? How was that kept under wraps? Why did I not know? WTF?

gravedigger
08-21-2016, 09:00 AM
We are supposed to be doing this

No we are not. Not unless we are cheating on the level of ole miss. Not with our budget compared to tHe west. Not with our recruiting area compared to the universe. Not in the division we play. Not with launder money u 90 miles north.

Considering history and the above paragraph, we should be the Indiana of Sec football.

But we aren't. And talent is misrated. Coaching and administrating is discounted. And there are a world of suckers who believe auburn and ark will always be better than us.

spbdawg
08-21-2016, 09:08 AM
#

lastmajordog
08-21-2016, 09:12 AM
@

Pollodawg
08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
I can't wait for Dan to win 8 regular season games again, so I can watch the goal posts move to fit the new agenda.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Ok? That still doesnt mean he gets a contract extension

Moving goalposts.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Liverpool- you clearly said in Nov-Dec that Mullen wasnt looking around and that it was media BS. You were proven to be embarrassingly wrong. You probably should just sit this one out.

Was I? So what if I was. Much to your chagrin the best coach we have had since the 40s didn't leave. It still blows my mind that you were dissiapointed about that.

lamont
08-21-2016, 09:43 AM
8 wins this year and it's a good season. That's already been established

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2016, 09:47 AM
I gotta say, the funniest part, if there was one, about the C34 South Panola affair was when Lance Pouge was on Bo Bounds. I remember riding around in my car listening to that interview and laughing my ass off when Pouge said that C34 had gotten out of football to go into medical sales. I said to myself, "That MFer really was a condom salesman."

With all due respect, I thought that was hilarious.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2016, 09:48 AM
8 wins this year and it's a good season. That's already been established
And it will allow the drum beat of "Mullen can't beat anyone with a pulse", "if only we had OL/CB/RB we could have won 10", and "Mullen can't recruit, this was year 8. Year 8!!" Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 09:49 AM

Yes, you waited till he won 19 games in two years before you turned on him.

preachermatt83
08-21-2016, 09:50 AM
8-4 with losses to aTm, LSU, Bama, and OM.

Dawg61
08-21-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm rooting for Damian Williams to take this opportunity and force a career outta it. Ball out Williams!!

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 09:56 AM
When you have a nine figure budget, you have enough money to win. I'm not sure the "next" hundred million dollars really even matters. The utility gap has narrowed even though the resource gap is quite large. We are fine.

Money is always relative. That next $100 million matters. History matters even more.

GTHOM
08-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Money is always relative. That next $100 million matters. History matters even more.

I dont think history has a single thing to do with what we do on the field this year.

BiscuitEater
08-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Well, of course you would be happy with 8 wins. You've already gone on record that 6 wins are the ceiling!

IMissJack
08-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Someone's got to throw it to them. I've heard Knight is so so.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 10:35 AM
And it will allow the drum beat of "Mullen can't beat anyone with a pulse", "if only we had OL/CB/RB we could have won 10", and "Mullen can't recruit, this was year 8. Year 8!!" Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

It's deja vu all over again! I'm very pleased with where we are as a program. It takes time to build something from basically a 100 years of mediocrity and Mullen has a laid a great foundation. Does he do everything right? No. But what coach does. It took Bobby Bowden 11 years at fsu( who were a very mediocre program historically) to start consistently winning in double figures. It took Frank Beamer over a decade. Oregon was a terrible program unt the 90's and it took them over 10 years to start being considered a national power(even with all the Phil Knight money in play). Heck it even took the immortal Saban years to reach his Vince Lombardi like pedestal. We have become a society of instant gratification and nobody wants to wait and watch somebody actually build something. I guess I'm old and come from a time when people actually appreciated watching something special being built.

1bigdawg
08-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Eight wins should be a given. We "should" beat our out of conference opponents and UK. We should win at least 3 out of our 4 home conference games because the talent and coaching gap is not that great and because we are at home, d**n it. If we win all four, which we should we would have 9 wins going into the UNM game. I am not saying we will do that, but that we should be at least 8-4 if the program is making progress.

There are big "ifs" involved. We cannot afford significant injuries on the OL. Also, I am in the camp of people that believes that playing Williams is playing "not to lose," while either Fitz or Tiano is playing to win. I think the corners will be ok over time; generally speaking the younger guys are more athletic than the ones who got hurt.

Next year, regardless of our talent situation, is much tougher because of the schedule.

lamont
08-21-2016, 10:46 AM
No we are not. Not unless we are cheating on the level of ole miss. Not with our budget compared to tHe west. Not with our recruiting area compared to the universe. Not in the division we play. Not with launder money u 90 miles north.

Considering history and the above paragraph, we should be the Indiana of Sec football.

But we aren't. And talent is misrated. Coaching and administrating is discounted. And there are a world of suckers who believe auburn and ark will always be better than us.

Disagree strongly. Our budget now is bigger than any of our OOC teams we play year in and year out. Thats 4 wins every year now.

We finished 6th in the West last season and have only finished higher than 4th in the West once in Mullen's tenure. We are pretty much where we should be.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Disagree strongly. Our budget now is bigger than any of our OOC teams we play year in and year out. Thats 4 wins every year now.

We finished 6th in the West last season and have only finished higher than 4th in the West once in Mullen's tenure. We are pretty much where we should be.

We do have winning records against 3 of the 6 teams in the west since Dan arrived and are in the top half of the sec in total wins. That's not to shabby considering where we came from.

IMissJack
08-21-2016, 10:56 AM

I think the budget is for the most part fine. The uptick in recruiting has not happened relative to the amount invested in the program for just basics though. Jackie recruited without as nice of a stadium, no football complex, no special weight room, an academic building, etc. Almost everyone in the SEC that mattered already had those things. Now we have them, and recruiting has not moved the needle all that much. IMO, our biggest issue now is not facilities or the like, it is pure and simple assistant coaches' salaries. Until this is addressed to be average in the SEC, we will continue to have a revolving door at DC and some other positions. Most great programs have some stability at the high level coaching positions. This turnover also affects recruiting. Then also there is Hevesy.

AROB44
08-21-2016, 10:58 AM
The agenda is alive and well.

Joe Schmedlap
08-21-2016, 11:03 AM

You're too negative. Dan Mullen almost went 6-6 his first season at State. This will be a rebuilding year in the toughest conference in all of college football, but state will go 7-5 and secure a minor bowl bid.

1bigdawg
08-21-2016, 11:30 AM
I think the budget is for the most part fine. The uptick in recruiting has not happened relative to the amount invested in the program for just basics though. Jackie recruited without as nice of a stadium, no football complex, no special weight room, an academic building, etc. Almost everyone in the SEC that mattered already had those things. Now we have them, and recruiting has not moved the needle all that much. IMO, our biggest issue now is not facilities or the like, it is pure and simple assistant coaches' salaries. Until this is addressed to be average in the SEC, we will continue to have a revolving door at DC and some other positions. Most great programs have some stability at the high level coaching positions. This turnover also affects recruiting. Then also there is Hevesy.

One of the things I have never understood is why we have not (until this year) gone after the top recruiters in other conferences to fill positions. If you read 247 recruiter ratings, you realize that other conferences do not pay assistants as much as MSU, much less the rest of the SEC.

Other than Hevesy, we have a couple of other offensive position coaches that are neither lights out coaches or great recruiters.

Joe Schmedlap
08-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Who might they be? Sallach? Knox?

Gutter Cobreh
08-21-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm wondering at what page of this thread the topic turns to Starkville and how the town/school relationship doesn't allow for us to recruit better and that's why we're only going to be 6-6 this year****

That's basically the only thing missing. In my opinion, this isn't a "rebuilding" year. We have the talent and we have the schedule to continue the progress. We're a bit short on depth, but I'm more excited about our defensive scheme and truly having the talent at all positions to be competitive with LSU and Alabama.

spbdawg
08-21-2016, 12:34 PM
#

confucius say
08-21-2016, 12:42 PM

Our budget is the smallest in the conference. If you are going to argue it's bigger than ooc teams and therefore we should be 4-0 there, you have to acknowledge its smaller than the other 8 teams we play and therefore, by your logic, we should be 0-8 there

SailingDawg
08-21-2016, 12:43 PM

I haven't read through this whole thread, but this is what I would say. I've been a fan since I was a kid (40+ years) and we've mostly sucked. A few good years and a few good wins were fun, but Mullen is providing consistency and bowl games and I'm enjoying it. My son (17) doesn't know how lucky he is to have had Dak as a Bulldog.

We're doing so well that Ole Ms had to devise schemes of fraud under the guise of Christianity to catch up.

confucius say
08-21-2016, 12:43 PM

You can't say our budget is fine and then also say our biggest problem is lack of money to pay assistants.

SDDawg
08-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Have we confirmed that Random Poster is not an Ole Miss troll? I am not convinced.

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2016, 02:13 PM
You're too negative. Dan Mullen almost went 6-6 his first season at State. This will be a rebuilding year in the toughest conference in all of college football, but state will go 7-5 and secure a minor bowl bid.

Our schedule and roster do not reflect a rebuilding year.

Juniors and Seniors on offense/defense in the two deep:

Damien
Holloway
Shump
Ross
Gray
Myles
Senior
Rankin
Clayborn
Desper
Jocquell

Defense

James
AJ
Nelson
Calvin
Coleman
Richie
Dale
JT Gray
Jiles
Cleveland
Smokey
Coman
Durr
Jung

That is an experienced team. At least it should be. If we can't expect to win 9 games with this schedule, then we need to re-evaluate everything. If we win our OOC games, all we need to do is win our home games and beat UK on the road. Mullen can get that done.

chef dixon
08-21-2016, 02:17 PM

RP, you were the biggest slobber of Fitz's knob mid last season, pretty much saying he threw better than Dak and we'd have the same record with him. While I agree more with what you are saying now about our QBs and tried to bring that up a year ago to much backlash, you can't have it both ways

Bully13
08-21-2016, 02:17 PM
I haven't read through this whole thread, but this is what I would say. I've been a fan since I was a kid (40+ years) and we've mostly sucked. A few good years and a few good wins were fun, but Mullen is providing consistency and bowl games and I'm enjoying it. My son (17) doesn't know how lucky he is to have had Dak as a Bulldog.

We're doing so well that Ole Ms had to devise schemes of fraud under the guise of Christianity to catch up.

This. Folks in our age group get it.

confucius say
08-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Our schedule and roster do not reflect a rebuilding year.

Juniors and Seniors on offense/defense in the two deep:

Damien
Holloway
Shump
Ross
Gray
Myles
Senior
Rankin
Clayborn
Desper
Jocquell

Defense

James
AJ
Nelson
Calvin
Coleman
Richie
Dale
JT Gray
Jiles
Cleveland
Smokey
Coman
Durr
Jung

That is an experienced team. At least it should be. If we can't expect to win 9 games with this schedule, then we need to re-evaluate everything. If we win our OOC games, all we need to do is win our home games and beat UK on the road. Mullen can get that done.

That you expect to beat auburn, ark, and Aggie (whose budget is twice ours) without thinking twice about it speaks volumes about what Mullen has done here.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Imagine if you purchased a porcelain toilet for X amount of $ while your opponents purchased gilded toilets for 100X $. How much more utility would you opponents purchase?

It depends on which toilet recruits thought looked better.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 02:34 PM

YEP.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Yep! We sure do. Couldn't agree more!

Reason2succeed
08-21-2016, 02:47 PM
This. Folks in "our age group" get it.

How do you know how old people are on the board? Something tells me that the Mullen heaters on this board are also in "our age group" too.

K9 Avenger
08-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Amen bro

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 02:52 PM
How do you know how old people are on the board? Something tells me that the Mullen heaters on this board are also in "our age group" too.

I deduced it from where he said a fan since he was a kid 40+ years and I'm 51 so we are pretty close lol old in other words.

Goldendawg
08-21-2016, 02:55 PM
We darn sure are not repeating the Shira years, Tech and 10, on probation and forfeiting a ton of wins, or the Croom years. We haven't even fired our head coach the night before signing day lately. I seen us in the Sec title game once in my life and I want to go again asap. I want to step us and start beating Bama, LSU, and A&M more often. I want the Egg Bowl to have the heavy focus for victory it deserves every year. Heck, contrary to some of the posts I've read here recently, we haven't lost a game in 2016 yet and until we do I expect us to win all at the most and be very competitive in all at the least. Hail State!

gravedigger
08-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Have we confirmed that Random Poster is not an Ole Miss troll? I am not convinced.

yes. we have confirmed. just not an ole miss one.

IMissJack
08-21-2016, 03:02 PM
You can't say our budget is fine and then also say our biggest problem is lack of money to pay assistants.

I said the budget was fine for the most part, because we don't have to double our budget to pay a few assistants better. That being said, I don't want underachievers to get paid more to not do their job. Find the best coaches and pay them accordingly.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 03:02 PM
yes. we have confirmed. just not an ole miss one.

That made me laugh!

Reason2succeed
08-21-2016, 03:59 PM
We darn sure are not repeating the Shira years, Tech and 10, on probation and forfeiting a ton of wins, or the Croom years. We haven't even fired our head coach the night before signing day lately. I seen us in the Sec title game once in my life and I want to go again asap. I want to step us and start beating Bama, LSU, and A&M more often. I want the Egg Bowl to have the heavy focus for victory it deserves every year. Heck, contrary to some of the posts I've read here recently, we haven't lost a game in 2016 yet and until we do I expect us to win all at the most and be very competitive in all at the least. Hail State!

If Tennessee who has way more money than State and a lot more tradition is struggling in a weak East to get back to a SEC Championship we should be patient with a coaching staff trying to get us there. The only teams that beat Alabama and LSU on a regular basis are teams that are winning the NC, teams (OM & Aub) that cheat their arse off, and each other. Mullen is building the right way but it will take time.

RC3
08-21-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm patient. I'm enjoying the success of our program. I do wish Mullen would demonstrate his commitment by either ceasing the flirtation with other schools in the offseason or at a minimum, deny rumors when they pop up. I don't blame him for shooting for one of the big boy jobs but the rumors with the likes of Maryland and Miami are embarrassing

spbdawg
08-21-2016, 04:15 PM
#

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Nothing say poor ol Missussippi State like being happy going 8-4 and losing to all of our rivals because we went 1-10 in 1988.

RC3
08-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Nothing say poor ol Missussippi State like being happy going 8-4 and losing to all of our rivals because we went 1-10 in 1988.

i'm not saying that it makes me happy, but we are on the right track imo. Im also in the camp with those that think we must increase our assistant pay. hurts recruting too much

Jarius
08-21-2016, 04:41 PM

What do you think the best option is if we continue to go 8-4 and lose to the elite teams in our conference ? I ask because myself don't know what the best route for the program would be. Do you force Mullen to make staff changes (Hev/sallach)? Do you fire him and risk Rick Ray 2.0? Do you just accept that 8-4 with an occasional big year is the ceiling? I lean to the option of wanting to let Mullen call all the shots on personnel issue and accept that we won't get anyone better if we ran off the only coach that has won this consistently at our school. I will also bitch about not being competitive with elite teams in most years. I don't see any options that would realistically put us in a better spot than we are currently.

RC3
08-21-2016, 04:46 PM
What do you think the best option is if we continue to go 8-4 and lose to the elite teams in our conference ? I ask because myself don't know what the best route for the program would be. Do you force Mullen to make staff changes (Hev/sallach)? Do you fire him and risk Rick Ray 2.0? Do you just accept that 8-4 with an occasional big year is the ceiling? I lean to the option of wanting to let Mullen call all the shots on personnel issue and accept that we won't get anyone better if we ran off the only coach that has won this consistently at our school. I will also bitch about not being competitive with elite teams in most years. I don't see any options that would realistically put us in a better spot than we are currently.

until we put a great OL out there we will continue to struggle to beat the elite defenses like bama. IF that unit struggles again this year, Hev needs to go imo. He is clearly a weak link

SailingDawg
08-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I deduced it from where he said a fan since he was a kid 40+ years and I'm 51 so we are pretty close lol old in other words.

I'm 53 and didn't start paying attention until I was 10 or 12, same as my son.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 05:03 PM
I agree we have to improve OL to
Make the next step but here's the question. We have had the best offenses in our history since Mullen has been here and in the top 4 or 5 in the sec. So if our OL play has been so bad during this period, was our OL play the worst in the history of college football before Dan? Just a thought.

RC3
08-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Quite the opposite. We had some great o lines at times over the years and then we wouldn't have a quarterback or decent receivers or some other position group would be down. The way I see our program right now is that everything is solid with the exception of the o line and o line recruiting. Special teams were a big problem but we seemed to have addressed that issue. Will Mullen address this one?

RC3
08-21-2016, 05:09 PM
I will add that I really do think Hev is probably a decent coach. His main problem is that kids don't want to play for him

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 05:36 PM

I would not fire Dan at this point. I would request that he make changes to his offensive staff especially on the o-line and TE. Probably running back as well since I have dealt with Knox some since his area was where I lived and I wasn't very impressed with him.

If he wants to keep his friends around reassign them to another position in the atheltic dept.

I do want Dan to change his attitude towards the Egg Bowl to where it was from 2009-2013.

RC3
08-21-2016, 05:41 PM
The thing is, the only way to make dan make those changes is to threaten his job. He would call that bluff in a heartbeat because we wouldn't fire him over it. I guess we can just not extend his Contract

msstate7
08-21-2016, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure making a HC change his staff against his will would work. If it gets to the point where you have to make a HC fire an assistant, you might as well fire the HC

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2016, 05:47 PM
I agree we have to improve OL to
Make the next step but here's the question. We have had the best offenses in our history since Mullen has been here and in the top 4 or 5 in the sec. So if our OL play has been so bad during this period, was our OL play the worst in the history of college football before Dan? Just a thought.
I still think some of the OL issues - not all- were related to us being pass heavy with read option oriented personnel and scheme. Get back to read-option we could see some drastic improvement.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Quite the opposite. We had some great o lines at times over the years and then we wouldn't have a quarterback or decent receivers or some other position group would be down. The way I see our program right now is that everything is solid with the exception of the o line and o line recruiting. Special teams were a big problem but we seemed to have addressed that issue. Will Mullen address this one?

We are in agreement. Just a thought for discussion. I see the same things as you, that have happened in our history. Also I know that things are never as good or as bad as they seen. I believe hev is a decent coach too but I'm afraid he's just not a recruiter. Now I have heard that Buckley is going to be doing the heavy lifting on ol recruiting and I know he can recruit. Let's see what happens.

Saltydog
08-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Our OL is still shit. QB play is going to be worse than many hoped. Basically, our D will not be good enough to overcome all the offensive deficiencies. Am I right or is there more? If that's your stance, I agree. I think we're a 7-5, 6-6 team but hey, that's just me.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2016, 05:54 PM
I agree. We need improvement on the ol but I'm not one of the ones who thinks it was terrible. We had much better ol play when Jenkins and Calhoun were in the game together last year. I think we will be improved this year.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 05:57 PM

That this thread even exisits is what is REALLY poor ol MSU.

Liverpooldawg
08-21-2016, 06:00 PM
I would not fire Dan at this point. I would request that he make changes to his offensive staff especially on the o-line and TE. Probably running back as well since I have dealt with Knox some since his area was where I lived and I wasn't very impressed with him.

If he wants to keep his friends around reassign them to another position in the atheltic dept.

I do want Dan to change his attitude towards the Egg Bowl to where it was from 2009-2013.

Good grief. Offense hasn't been the problem since Dan got here.

GreenheadDawg
08-21-2016, 06:06 PM

Dak was able to mask many deficiencies in our offense. We won't have that luxury this year. I'm not as down on this year at Coach but I think 7 wins and atleast a close egg bowl would be a successful season. I expect us to struggle pretty heavily on offense

lamont
08-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Our budget is the smallest in the conference

Not in football it isnt. Overall yes. And our facilities arent at the bottom either

lamont
08-21-2016, 06:23 PM
RP, you were the biggest slobber of Fitz's knob mid last season, pretty much saying he threw better than Dak and we'd have the same record with him. While I agree more with what you are saying now about our QBs and tried to bring that up a year ago to much backlash, you can't have it both ways

I wasnt posting here last year

lamont
08-21-2016, 06:32 PM

2011- Scoring Offense- 9th. Scoring D- 4th
2012- Scoring offense- 9th, Scoring D- 8th
2013- Scoring Offense- 10th. Scoring D- 5th

Yes- offense and especially the OL has been a problem for quite some time. Mullen is not perfect Liverpool- its ok to admit it

Goldendawg
08-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Been going to State games since 1963 as a boy. 8 and 4 no longer satisfies if it is only 4 OOC wins (some against teams with barely a pulse), Kentucky, another weak East foe and two more victories over West teams "we are supposed to beat". Times and expectations have changed and so have I. My 8 and 8 plus better be UNM very regularly and Bama (more often), and LSU much more often. It's past time to win and/or be highly competitive in every game.

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2016, 07:31 PM

2013 offense was shit
2012 our offense couldn't do shit against anyone worth a crap
Last year our running game was shit, but we had a NFL QB this two really good college WRS.

Our defense has carried us in more than one season. Do people forget we tried to put a juco DT at LT in the SEC. That happened.

Bothrops
08-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Been going to State games since 1963 as a boy. 8 and 4 no longer satisfies if it is only 4 OOC wins (some against teams with barely a pulse), Kentucky, another weak East foe and two more victories over West teams "we are supposed to beat". Times and expectations have changed and so have I. My 8 and 8 plus better be UNM very regularly and Bama (more often), and LSU much more often. It's past time to win and/or be highly competitive in every game.

The reason we've been this dismal against LSU and Bama, since Mullen, is because our football team has never had an ax to grind with them. Look at how Arkansas and Ole Miss play LSU, for instance. They try to smash their ribcages in. We just go through the motions...and that gets our asses kicked, save for 2014.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Our last 8 games against Alabama our offensive output is: 6, 20, 7,7,7, 10, 3, 7 - The problem is absolutely offense against these guys

Our last 8 games against LSU our offensive output is: 19, 34, 26, 17, 6, 7, 26, 24 - Problem has been defense against these guys. Offense hasn't been great, but adequate to win much more than we have. With those offensive numbers, we should have 3 wins or so against LSU in the past 8 games. It's a little unlucky that we haven't.

Our last 8 games against Ole Miss our offensive output is: 27, 17, 17, 24, 31, 31, 41, 0 - There hasn't been a consistent problem here. We either play well or they play well. Poor situational offense may have been a problem.

So there are our three main rivals & it's a mixed bag. Although we haven't played as well offensively at times against LSU & Ole Miss that we should have, Alabama is truly the only team that we can't sniff the endzone on. Against Ole Miss, it's a mixed bag. Against LSU & it's mostly a defensive problem.

One thing I will be curious of this year is how us going to a 3-4 defense ourselves affects our comfort against Alabama's defense. As we can see from our prior scores against them, it certainly can't hurt.

confucius say
08-21-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm patient. I'm enjoying the success of our program. I do wish Mullen would demonstrate his commitment by either ceasing the flirtation with other schools in the offseason or at a minimum, deny rumors when they pop up. I don't blame him for shooting for one of the big boy jobs but the rumors with the likes of Maryland and Miami are embarrassing

Dan wanted uga. Who wouldn't?
Dan turned down Maryland. Random told you this.
You can win titles at Miami. Been proven. Especially the way Mullen thinks (he said he knew he could win here Bc of players our state has turned out: Miami has many more)

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2016, 07:58 PM
You can win titles at Miami. Been proven. Especially the way Mullen thinks (he said he knew he could win here Bc of players our state has turned out: Miami has many more)

I'm not totally sure Mullen could recruit at Miami. Yes the talent is local, but lots of money gets spent down there and I think he'd still have use some tactics he's been unwilling to use up till this point

RC3
08-21-2016, 08:01 PM
i certainly do not blame him for flirting with UGA. i consider our program to be comparable to Miami currently, though their pat to a national championship is certainly easier....

confucius say
08-21-2016, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Random Poster;595517]Not in football it isnt. /QUOTE]

Link? That's not what our ad said two weeks ago unless I misunderstood him.

confucius say
08-21-2016, 08:25 PM
I'm not totally sure Mullen could recruit at Miami. Yes the talent is local, but lots of money gets spent down there and I think he'd still have use some tactics he's been unwilling to use up till this point

I agree.

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 09:27 PM

Yes- offense and especially the OL has been a problem for quite some time. Mullen is not perfect Liverpool- its ok to admit it

Well, that left a mark.

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Our last 8 games against Alabama our offensive output is: 6, 20, 7,7,7, 10, 3, 7 - The problem is absolutely offense against these guys

Our last 8 games against LSU our offensive output is: 19, 34, 26, 17, 6, 7, 26, 24 - Problem has been defense against these guys. Offense hasn't been great, but adequate to win much more than we have. With those offensive numbers, we should have 3 wins or so against LSU in the past 8 games. It's a little unlucky that we haven't.

Our last 8 games against Ole Miss our offensive output is: 27, 17, 17, 24, 31, 31, 41, 0 - There hasn't been a consistent problem here. We either play well or they play well. Poor situational offense may have been a problem.

So there are our three main rivals & it's a mixed bag. Although we haven't played as well offensively at times against LSU & Ole Miss that we should have, Alabama is truly the only team that we can't sniff the endzone on. Against Ole Miss, it's a mixed bag. Against LSU & it's mostly a defensive problem.

One thing I will be curious of this year is how us going to a 3-4 defense ourselves affects our comfort against Alabama's defense. As we can see from our prior scores against them, it certainly can't hurt.

I think time of the year factors in when we play those teams as well. At least to a degree. LSU is in our head more than anything. The one time we beat them I remember we had a very different vibe in pre-game like we weren't scared or intimidated. We had some swagger and then we went out and kicked ass. Usually we seem tight when we play LSU.

We definitely seem tight when we play Alabama.

The last two years against Ole Miss we were flat and I think we were also dealing with some internal problems with Geoff leaving in 2014 and then last year with Dan shopping himself around.

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 09:32 PM

Miami = Tulane with a football tradition. Back in the day when they were winning championships they were cheating their asses off even though the players were mostly local.

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 09:35 PM
i certainly do not blame him for flirting with UGA. i consider our program to be comparable to Miami currently, though their pat to a national championship is certainly easier....

I think most of the blame is how he handled it. I'd rather him pull a Tuberville than what he did last year. Maybe not say that he's only leaving in a pine box but most people when they are shopping around for another job just casually say that they aren't looking and they are planning on staying.

I know my Dad's company that he works for has actually fired people that they knew were openly looking for another job. It's the- you want to leave? Here, let's help you method.

WPS
08-21-2016, 09:52 PM
You guys recruit at a top 40 to 30 level. We are more at a top 25 level year over year. Not great for the SEC West but about ten spots better then Arkansas. You guys will be a 6 to 8 win team but I don't think you guys beat us this year.

Eh it's actually extremely close if you go by the 247 composite.

2016:
MSU- 27th
ARK- 23rd

2015:
MSU-18th
ARK- 23rd

2014:
MSU- 35th
ARK- 29th

2013:
MSU- 25th
ARK- 23rd

2012:
MSU- 22nd
ARK- 28th

Class average:
MSU- 25.4
ARK- 25.2

One thing I did notice though is except for 2012, MSU did have the higher average by a few points even in a couple of the years they were behind in the rankings.

DancingRabbit
08-21-2016, 10:48 PM
I think most of the blame is how he handled it. I'd rather him pull a Tuberville than what he did last year. Maybe not say that he's only leaving in a pine box but most people when they are shopping around for another job just casually say that they aren't looking and they are planning on staying.

I know my Dad's company that he works for has actually fired people that they knew were openly looking for another job. It's the- you want to leave? Here, let's help you method.

When asked last fall, Dan said " I've already got a job that I like very much".

We've substantiated that there have been several "false" stories about Dan job hunting over the last several years. If there's no news then make something up and call it a rumor. We have enough negative propaganda coming from this state's media (plus Sally and a few others) but we have a State fan board trying to one-up the media on stirring the pot on Mullen.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/17/175799c510e8e1497dc3a0fd4635b9b8a1d8c267ebbf9cef89 fbd5d24151a864.jpg

Todd4State
08-21-2016, 10:56 PM
When asked last fall, Dan said " I've already got a job that I like very much".

We've substantiated that there have been several "false" stories about Dan job hunting over the last several years. If there's no news then make something up and call it a rumor. We have enough negative propaganda coming from this state's media (plus Sally and a few others) but we have a State fan board trying to one-up the media on stirring the pot on Mullen.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/17/175799c510e8e1497dc3a0fd4635b9b8a1d8c267ebbf9cef89 fbd5d24151a864.jpg

Explain to me how rumors from LAST season are negative in the PRESENT? There is no question that Dan was looking last year and while I don’t recall your exact quote there is no doubt that Dan didn’t handle the situation well. Scott apparently agreed with me as he didn’t extend Dan’s contract because of it.

At any rate, it’s water under the bridge at this point as far as I am concerned. I just hope Dan learned a lesson from it and is committed to our program going forward.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2016, 10:58 PM
I think time of the year factors in when we play those teams as well. At least to a degree. LSU is in our head more than anything. The one time we beat them I remember we had a very different vibe in pre-game like we weren't scared or intimidated. We had some swagger and then we went out and kicked ass. Usually we seem tight when we play LSU.

We definitely seem tight when we play Alabama.

The last two years against Ole Miss we were flat and I think we were also dealing with some internal problems with Geoff leaving in 2014 and then last year with Dan shopping himself around.

I think your over rating the pre game attitude instead of acknowledging that it's important how you start.

We started extremely well last year against Bama only to be stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1. If we score right there, there's a good chance things may have been different. People get hyped, Alabama is down and Coker forces a few balls, etc.

Possibly our biggest issue against good teams is that we struggle to take a punch. If we start well, we have a good chance of winning, but, if we get punched in the face, we bog down.

DancingRabbit
08-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Explain to me how rumors from LAST season are negative in the PRESENT? There is no question that Dan was looking last year and while I don?t recall your exact quote there is no doubt that Dan didn?t handle the situation well. Scott apparently agreed with me as he didn?t extend Dan?s contract because of it.

At any rate, it?s water under the bridge at this point as far as I am concerned. I just hope Dan learned a lesson from it and is committed to our program going forward.

Dude, you are on record with the "no we can't fire him, it would look too stupid, but I would be OK with it if he left" mantra spouted by RP and C34.

"I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen sad. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/30/s-easy-see-why-rumors-surround-dan-mullen-annually/76563068/

Todd4State
08-22-2016, 01:30 AM
Did I question whether Dan said the quote you referenced? No.

And not sure why you felt the need to tell me what my stance on Dan is? I don’t think I have ever denied that.

None of that changes my point which is the perception among most of our fans is that Dan mishandled teams courting him in the offseason. It also does not change the fact that his contract was not extended because of how he handled the offseason either.

Todd4State
08-22-2016, 01:33 AM
I think your over rating the pre game attitude instead of acknowledging that it's important how you start.

We started extremely well last year against Bama only to be stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1. If we score right there, there's a good chance things may have been different. People get hyped, Alabama is down and Coker forces a few balls, etc.

Possibly our biggest issue against good teams is that we struggle to take a punch. If we start well, we have a good chance of winning, but, if we get punched in the face, we bog down.

I can buy that. I don’t think the pre-game stuff is the end all be all- but I do think that especially when you are talking about starting fast that how you come into a game it’s a factor. I don’t think it’s the only one or the predominant one.

MarketingBully
08-22-2016, 01:47 AM
Dude, you are on record with the "no we can't fire him, it would look too stupid, but I would be OK with it if he left" mantra spouted by RP and C34.

"I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen sad. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/30/s-easy-see-why-rumors-surround-dan-mullen-annually/76563068/

It's Dan's pauses and unspoken body language that went along with what he said that made me and most every other fan believe the rumors to be true he was looking around. It was pretty obvious. He's not blessed with what you might call the social skills so when he makes statements like the one above it's pretty obvious to tell he was full of shit.

Bully13
08-22-2016, 06:43 AM
If tsun gets crippled by the NCAA, which looks likely, we will have Mullen to thank for that like an earlier post pointed out in this thread. And for that we should be eternally grateful to Mullen.

lamont
08-22-2016, 07:31 AM
Anybody trying to act like Mullen wasn't shopping around last November is equivalent to a Mississippi fan saying "what investigation???" In 2015

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 08:04 AM

LOL, I can do the same by only taking the good years. In science you get kicked out of peer organizations for doing what you did. Allyn McKeen says hello.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 08:06 AM
I see Confederate recruiting is in full swing already. We never learn.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Explain to me how rumors from LAST season are negative in the PRESENT? There is no question that Dan was looking last year and while I don’t recall your exact quote there is no doubt that Dan didn’t handle the situation well. Scott apparently agreed with me as he didn’t extend Dan’s contract because of it.

At any rate, it’s water under the bridge at this point as far as I am concerned. I just hope Dan learned a lesson from it and is committed to our program going forward.

I keep hearing all this from a few here. Is there any real proof of any of it or was it just rumor and speculation? Our friends up north jumped all over it and used it against us, as did the few of our own who wanted Mullen gone.

ElitedawgRecruiting
08-22-2016, 08:20 AM
We are our own worst enemy sometimes. We got a kid that wants to play for us so we scream Hevesy sucks. A quarterback has worked his ass off to improve but instead of blaming the kid that won't run with the job we bash the kid that won't lay down. And this stuff here, man can we just kick the damn ball off already

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 08:22 AM
I keep hearing all this from a few here. Is there any real proof of any of it or was it just rumor and speculation? Our friends up north jumped all over it and used it against us, as did the few of our own who wanted Mullen gone.

From experience, I would say yes it's true. Although no proof exists, agents are the ones that float their clients names. When you saw Mullen's name coming up for every job last year, that was Mullen's agent pushing him.

lamont
08-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Odd we have things used against us- but other schools aren't hurt by things used against them. Liverpool may be the most "we just lil ol Sippi State" guy I've ever seen

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-22-2016, 08:24 AM
I see Confederate recruiting is in full swing already. We never learn.

Yep...It's like a few posters interests are more about them being "right" in their own heads rather than what's best for MSU....pathetic!

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 09:41 AM
From experience, I would say yes it's true. Although no proof exists, agents are the ones that float their clients names. When you saw Mullen's name coming up for every job last year, that was Mullen's agent pushing him.

Was it? There is another group that floated his name for every open job, and has since he has been here.

MSUDawg99
08-22-2016, 09:44 AM

Agree with this 100% & this is my prediction

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Was it? There is another group that floated his name for every open job, and has since he has been here.

True, but, when you have as many sources reporting Mullen being interested in Job: A or B, then that means they are verifying through the agent, & that means Mullen's agent had his name involved with numerous jobs.

From my experience, I would say there is about a 99% chance Mullen was trying to get out last year.

The negative is that I think it may have contributed to our poor recruiting class. The positive is that Mullen received feedback that told him he better win big at MSU if he wants a job that would be a better combination of pay & winning ability than MSU.

I don't think it surprising that we saw more resources put into recruiting following signing day than at any other time in Mullen's tenure

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Odd we have things used against us- but other schools aren't hurt by things used against them. Liverpool may be the most "we just lil ol Sippi State" guy I've ever seen

That would be you actually. I don't know you, but I've known you my whole life. MSU fans love to poor mouth like no other fanbase. They love to bash their own like no other fanbase. Sure others do it, but we are one of the very few that like to start early and then glory in the fact that we were right, if it happens. It's what we have always done in my 50+ years. It predates the Internet by many, many years. Just once I'd like to see us all get on, and stay on, the same page and have it be a positive page. The ONLY thing I admire about the Confederates is their ability to do that. There is a LOT they don't get, but they get that. We never have. They do turn negative, but it's usually when it's time to. We have won 19 games the last two years. Let that sink in. If you can't Allyn McKeen says hello.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 09:58 AM
True, but, when you have as many sources reporting Mullen being interested in Job: A or B, then that means they are verifying through the agent, & that means Mullen's agent had his name involved with numerous jobs.

From my experience, I would say there is about a 99% chance Mullen was trying to get out last year.

The negative is that I think it may have contributed to our poor recruiting class. The positive is that Mullen received feedback that told him he better win big at MSU if he wants a job that would be a better combination of pay & winning ability than MSU.

I don't think it surprising that we saw more resources put into recruiting following signing day than at any other time in Mullen's tenure

You may be right, but a lot of the stuff being floated was total bs according to my sources. The only one that was probably legit was Miami and from what I hear Miami initiated that contact. My guess is most of the bs originated up the road. The Confederate media conspiracy stuff has almost reached black helicopter status, but they really DO have a lot of people scattered around in sports media.

Just as an aside, Mullen would be crazy not to listen to some offers. I would suspect most people would. i would be a heck of a lot more upset if he wasn't getting any offers myself. That would be the usual situation for us. We just don't know how to take this stuff because we quite honestly have no experience with it.

QuadrupleOption
08-22-2016, 10:26 AM

Yep. We're fine, people. We're building a program. 5 years from now those of you pissing and moaning about how bad we suck are all going to look stupid as Hell.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2016, 10:33 AM
You may be right, but a lot of the stuff being floated was total bs according to my sources. The only one that was probably legit was Miami and from what I hear Miami initiated that contact. My guess is most of the bs originated up the road. The Confederate media conspiracy stuff has almost reached black helicopter status, but they really DO have a lot of people scattered around in sports media.

Just as an aside, Mullen would be crazy not to listen to some offers. I would suspect most people would. i would be a heck of a lot more upset if he wasn't getting any offers myself. That would be the usual situation for us. We just don't know how to take this stuff because we quite honestly have no experience with it.

I had heard there was an interview with Maryland but I don't know if it was a phone interview gauging interest or a serious interview. I heard that from someone connected to Maryland and has no connection to MSU. It doesn't matter now. I think whatever happened may have opened Dan's eyes that he has to win bigger here to get a better job. He makes too much money now at MSU to take a pay cut to go somewhere else. I personally think he is here for a while now.

ShotgunDawg
08-22-2016, 10:36 AM
I had heard there was an interview with Maryland but I don't know if it was a phone interview gauging interest or a serious interview. I heard that from someone connected to Maryland and has no connection to MSU. It doesn't matter now. I think whatever happened may have opened Dan's eyes that he has to win bigger here to get a better job. He makes too much money now at MSU to take a pay cut to go somewhere else. I personally think he is here for a while now.

Agree. Sometimes it's not a bad thing for someone to find out their true value on the market.

Pro teams do this all the time so that players can discover that the grass isn't greener on the other side & often times it helps the player appreciate his current situation more.

basedog
08-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Don't you guys get tired of over analyzing Dan and his so called "past interviews"? Y'all are repeating yourselves over and over.

Fact is, Dan is still our Coach so right now it's doesn't matter, or at least to not to me.

Dawgface
08-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Don't you guys get tired of over analyzing Dan and his so called "past interviews"? Y'all are repeating yourselves over and over.

Fact is, Dan is still our Coach so right now it's doesn't matter, or at least to not to me.

So true. As LP said, we have won 19 games over the last 2 years. I can live with whisper and rumors as long as we are doing that.

GTHOM
08-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Thread should end after this Todd with the TKO. I do think we go 8-4 though Im just not sure. 9 wins shouldnt be out of the question

GTHOM
08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Another post that should end this thread

GTHOM
08-22-2016, 12:30 PM
That would be you actually. I don't know you, but I've known you my whole life. MSU fans love to poor mouth like no other fanbase. They love to bash their own like no other fanbase. Sure others do it, but we are one of the very few that like to start early and then glory in the fact that we were right, if it happens. It's what we have always done in my 50+ years. It predates the Internet by many, many years. Just once I'd like to see us all get on, and stay on, the same page and have it be a positive page. The ONLY thing I admire about the Confederates is their ability to do that. There is a LOT they don't get, but they get that. We never have. They do turn negative, but it's usually when it's time to. We have won 19 games the last two years. Let that sink in. If you can't Allyn McKeen says hello.

19 wins is good. But when you have uninspired awful performances against your biggest rival, one of them blowing a shot at a national championship and the other in your best players last home game costing you a shot at going to the bowl game your rival got because they beat you, youve gotta try something else. And no Im not saying FIRE DAN.

drunkernhelldawg
08-22-2016, 01:00 PM
I think we're capable of anything from 5-7 to 9-3. 9-3 would be outperforming our talent, but that's not unusual for teams in our situation (weak year in strong conference with history of competitive games vs. stronger teams in division). I know nobody ever says 5-7, but not sure how good Kentucky will be. They've beat us a few times, and almost beat us a few others. I think 6-6 is more likely but just saying that 5-7 is a horrible possibility. It's really a gut check season for our coaches and our seniors. Be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully, it will be something to cheer and be proud of. But that's more up to them than it is to me.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
19 wins is good. But when you have uninspired awful performances against your biggest rival, one of them blowing a shot at a national championship and the other in your best players last home game costing you a shot at going to the bowl game your rival got because they beat you, youve gotta try something else. And no Im not saying FIRE DAN.
But you are still whining about our two best back to back years since the 40s.

lastmajordog
08-22-2016, 01:52 PM

I have been wanting to say these exact words, thank you.

SallyStansbury
08-22-2016, 02:23 PM
I have been wanting to say these exact words, thank you.

Please don't confuse me wanting him to win more with not respecting what he has done.

I think he needs to modify his approach.

1. Consider firing Hevesy because he is a terrible recruiter, players/player's parents despise his attitude. (OLine holds us back against better teams)
2. Hire a good D coordinator and let him do his job. (turnover of D staff every year hurts recruiting and consistency)
3. Take Olemiss seriously and beat them. (slacking on that lately)
4. Stop floating name for every decent job available. (multiple times last year)

#5 used to be recruit better but he has hired some good assistants and has limited Hev's role (supposedly), props to him
#6 used to be address special teams but we were better last year, props to him.

I think we should win 7 games with a bowl appearance. I am fine with that. 7~8 wins is better than most years I have spent as an MSU fan and for that I am very thankful for Dan Mullen.

drunkernhelldawg
08-22-2016, 02:45 PM
But you are still whining about our two best back to back years since the 40s.

It's better by 3 percent than 1980-81. 80-81 we were 17-7 (70 percent) ETA: actually 70.8%

2014-15 we were 19-7 (73 percent)

However, in conference, we were 9-3 in 1980-81 (75%) and 10-6 in 2014-15 (62.5%)

Also in 80-81, we were 1-1 versus TSUN. That's better than 14-15.

Not wanting to contradict the point that we have a good football program now, but I do not like to see the accomplishments of past teams forgotten.

Johnson85
08-22-2016, 04:03 PM

The Miami one was definitely legit. My understanding is that Miami reached out, and Mullen's basic response was that he was open to it, but that last time they were interested, they were offended that he wasn't interested in going to miami without a bump in pay, and they should know that he's still not going to come to Miami without a bump in pay, so they shouldn't continue unless they thought they would pay more than $4M. They said they were open to it, and then after moving forward, Miami still came up with a number lower than $4M. I don't know if that's exactly how it happened, but some of that information is obviously coming from Mullen's camp, so obviously there were at least discussions.

I think obviously Mullen would have taken a call from Georgia and I would not be surprised at all for Mullen's agent to have reached out for that job, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mullen was interested in taking a call from Maryland because of the potential for under armour money, but I think the other ones, especially ones like UVA, were just BS where Mullen's name showed up on an unrealistic wish list from somebody associated with the school and the coaching search guys ran with it b/c they are UM fans.

confucius say
08-22-2016, 04:58 PM
The Miami one was definitely legit. My understanding is that Miami reached out, and Mullen's basic response was that he was open to it, but that last time they were interested, they were offended that he wasn't interested in going to miami without a bump in pay, and they should know that he's still not going to come to Miami without a bump in pay, so they shouldn't continue unless they thought they would pay more than $4M. They said they were open to it, and then after moving forward, Miami still came up with a number lower than $4M. I don't know if that's exactly how it happened, but some of that information is obviously coming from Mullen's camp, so obviously there were at least discussions.

I think obviously Mullen would have taken a call from Georgia and I would not be surprised at all for Mullen's agent to have reached out for that job, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mullen was interested in taking a call from Maryland because of the potential for under armour money, but I think the other ones, especially ones like UVA, were just BS where Mullen's name showed up on an unrealistic wish list from somebody associated with the school and the coaching search guys ran with it b/c they are UM fans.

And our fans crucify him for it. Stupid. He should absolutely take calls from Georgia and Miami. He is stupid if he doesn't. And he turned md down, random has already told you this.

maroonmania
08-22-2016, 05:29 PM
And our fans crucify him for it. Stupid. He should absolutely take calls from Georgia and Miami. He is stupid if he doesn't. And he turned md down, random has already told you this.

My biggest issue with Mullen and the entire staff last year was that they all recruited like they were leaving. It was just an all-around pathetic effort for the most part. Whether you want to leave or are considering leaving, you should still bust your tail and do your job until a new job is accepted. Apparently Mullen was fully open to leaving and we KNOW the entire defensive staff was open to leaving (given they all did) and our recruiting suffered significantly because of it.

lamont
09-05-2016, 06:29 PM
The agenda is alive and well.

#Agenda

This thread is really good reading now

lamont
09-05-2016, 06:33 PM

#Agenda

defiantdog
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM
#Agenda
I wish you weren't right coach

msstate7
09-05-2016, 06:48 PM
I wish you weren't right coach

He doesn't

lamont
09-05-2016, 07:00 PM
He doesn't

I hate that we suck

I do enjoy throwing my being right in people's face when there is a 10 page thread of people jumping on me saying I have some agenda and am making up bullshit. People have to eat the shit they throw when proven wrong

Gutter Cobreh
09-05-2016, 07:08 PM
I hate that we suck

I do enjoy throwing my being right in people's face when there is a 10 page thread of people jumping on me saying I have some agenda and am making up bullshit. People have to eat the shit they throw when proven wrong

I'll admit my preseason optimism was way off base. I'll give you credit for calling it like you saw (or see) it, along with a few others. I'm hopeful they can right the ship in the next few weeks.

I do stand behind my idea Mullen has some sort of learning disability. I pointed to the end of the LSU game last year and how he botched the final FG attempt. It reared its head again Saturday when he didn't know how many timeouts he had.

I still don't know if he truly cares. I'd like to think he does with the changes in recruiting he made late after not finding another home. He may be reaping now what he sowed during the time he was flirting with other teams. Mullen probably thought he could leave the cupboard bare and we'd suck while he was away at a more "prestigious" program.

basedog
09-05-2016, 08:44 PM
#Agenda

This thread is really good reading now

Pretty sure Pops is sleeping right now, I think he is changing his agenda slightly.

HoopsDawg
09-05-2016, 08:59 PM
I hate that we suck

There are some people in this thread that should be read only members. A lot of ridiculous comments by the same one track posters.

I seen it dawg
09-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Here's an agenda.....Mullen? **** that guy

TaleofTwoDogs
09-05-2016, 09:11 PM

True, but our fan base has always known that success was possible if we had the right combination of coaches and administration. Lonnie Tickle for 20+ years and coaches without the mojo to raise the program beyond the status quo kept us down. Mullen and the ninja changed the mind set to a higher level. Mullen needs to get the mojo back or make room for someone that has the mojo.

2464 What Dak has to look forward to in Dallas.