PDA

View Full Version : Send This Article to Every QB Recruit in America

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 07:44 AM
This is also the article in the CL, but I linked the USA Today version in protest

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/766832176113586176

General thoughts:

1. Yes it's preseason, but great players can just do it. This whole sitting and learning thing in the NFL is just a conservative excuse for QBs that have failed. Most of the greats were really good the first time they got an opportunity. Yes they improved with experience, but the instincts, field vision, timing, and confidence were already there. I think this is real folks. Dak has boarder line Peyton Manning preparation.

2. If any LSU fan tells you they would've won multiple Nattys if Dak had signed with them, they may be right, but just flip it. If Malachi Dupre, Leonard Fournette, and L'el Collins would've signed at MSU with Dak, MSU would've won a natty as well. Works both ways.

FISHDAWG
08-20-2016, 08:13 AM
funny how the rest of the world is surprised at what we knew all along ... and yes, every recruit at the QB position should see this. Thanks for posting

Todd4State
08-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Maybe off topic but maybe we should consider going under center about 15-20% of the time.

djaymsu5
08-20-2016, 08:41 AM
That play action when Dallas was on their own 5 yard line or so was a thing of beauty.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 08:44 AM
NFL scouts completely missed the boat on this one. They allowed Tim Tebow's lack of success in the NFL to influence them into walking away from the best QB in the draft. The only reason Tebow failed was because he had a fatal flaw with his arm action. If Tebow would've had Dak's arm action, I believe he'd still be in the NFL. Additionally, I don't think QBs from elite powerhouses develop like QBs that play for teams in the 2nd tier. At many of the powerhouses, the QBs weaknesses are covered up by other great players & the QB is actually taught & developed to not screw it up. That's a completely counterproductive process in building grit, perseverance, creativity, & play making ability in a QB.

NFL scouts WAAAAYYYY over thought Dak Prescott & the QBs last year &, in the process, completely disregarded the QB that was BY FAR the best football player of any of the QBs in last year's draft. I mean Jacoby Brissett & Cody Kessler went over Dak. That' 17ing brutal scouting & they are about to pay for it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqRbQYAWIAARHOU.jpg:large

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Maybe off topic but maybe we should consider going under center about 15-20% of the time.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. I actually think that going under center can help a QB sometimes because the drop back gets his feet moving & builds rhythm & flow into the passing process.

BrunswickDawg
08-20-2016, 09:02 AM
My favorite part of this is how Bears and other assholes are trying spin this as either an indication that State is going to suck more and that Dan somehow underutilized or failed to coach up Dak. Any idiot with access to YouTube can see how far Dak progressed from 2012 to 2015. And yes, our OL was not good last year - and he was STILL the best QB statistically in the SEC. What we are really seeing in these games is what happens to a highly motivated, highly skilled athlete when he is given his first opportunity to hone his craft FULLTIME. No school, no limits on film time, workout time, interaction with coaches. Just eat, breath, and sleep football. It shows how well prepared Dak was going into this opportunity.

HancockCountyDog
08-20-2016, 09:15 AM
NFL scouts completely missed the boat on this one. They allowed Tim Tebow's lack of success in the NFL to influence them into walking away from the best QB in the draft. The only reason Tebow failed was because he had a fatal flaw with his arm action. If Tebow would've had Dak's arm action, I believe he'd still be in the NFL. Additionally, I don't think QBs from elite powerhouses develop like QBs that play for teams in the 2nd tier. At many of the powerhouses, the QBs weaknesses are covered up by other great players & the QB is actually taught & developed to not screw it up. That's a completely counterproductive process in building grit, perseverance, creativity, & play making ability in a QB.

NFL scouts WAAAAYYYY over thought Dak Prescott & the QBs last year &, in the process, completely disregarded the QB that was BY FAR the best football player of any of the QBs in last year's draft. I mean Jacoby Brissett & Cody Kessler went over Dak. That' 17ing brutal scouting & they are about to pay for it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqRbQYAWIAARHOU.jpg:large

Great post

confucius say
08-20-2016, 09:15 AM

Only works if we can run the ball. If so, then sure

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 09:17 AM
My favorite part of this is how Bears and other assholes are trying spin this as either an indication that State is going to suck more and that Dan somehow underutilized or failed to coach up Dak. Any idiot with access to YouTube can see how far Dak progressed from 2012 to 2015. And yes, our OL was not good last year - and he was STILL the best QB statistically in the SEC. What we are really seeing in these games is what happens to a highly motivated, highly skilled athlete when he is given his first opportunity to hone his craft FULLTIME. No school, no limits on film time, workout time, interaction with coaches. Just eat, breath, and sleep football. It shows how well prepared Dak was going into this opportunity.

MSU did an exceptional job of developing Dak from an 85 rated QB to a 4th round draft pick. It's not MSU's fault that NFL scouts couldn't scout a 2 time 1st team All-SEC QB & All-American (Think about this folks).

I think what happened here was two fold: 1. Many scouts were scared to stick their neck due to seeing how Josh McDaniels was treated when he drafted Tebow so high & 2. Our OL sucked last year & made Dak look pedestrian against elite competition although he still threw for 300 against Bama with that crappy OL. This probably should've told the NFL scouts something)

I mean, how many 4 & 5 star QBs has Alabama & LSU recruited & developed that never even made the NFL? How is that for development?

FISHDAWG
08-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Great post

throw in one or two rushing stats and the distance grows even further

ETA ... meant to respond to Shotgun

msbulldog
08-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Great breakdown and analysis Shotgun. Fishdawg is right too, throw in Dak's running ability makes it a no-brainer Dak should have been the #1 draft pick.

Reason2succeed
08-20-2016, 11:48 AM
If you really think about it Dak is the first QB that Mullen scouted, recruited, and developed. Tyler Russell was already in the boat when Mullen was hired. Tyler even had second thoughts about his fit in Mullen's system. Mullen has proven that he is able to find the raw ingredients and prepare a QB to be great on both the college level and beyond.

ckDOG
08-20-2016, 12:05 PM
MSU did an exceptional job of developing Dak from an 85 rated QB to a 4th round draft pick. It's not MSU's fault that NFL scouts couldn't scout a 2 time 1st team All-SEC QB & All-American (Think about this folks).

I think what happened here was two fold: 1. Many scouts were scared to stick their neck due to seeing how Josh McDaniels was treated when he drafted Tebow so high & 2. Our OL sucked last year & made Dak look pedestrian against elite competition although he still threw for 300 against Bama with that crappy OL. This probably should've told the NFL scouts something)

I mean, how many 4 & 5 star QBs has Alabama & LSU recruited & developed that never even made the NFL? How is that for development?

Spot on. Lord I hope our line can help develop a reliable running game this year. It's going to be a very painful year if not. No Dak to mask that weakness this time.

blacklistedbully
08-20-2016, 12:49 PM
This is also the article in the CL, but I linked the USA Today version in protest

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/766832176113586176

General thoughts:

1. This whole sitting and learning thing in the NFL is just a conservative excuse for QBs that have failed.

Disagree with this. No way you can state this unequivocally. No way of knowing if some of the ones thrust into starting roles that failed, might have succeeded if they'd had a chance to learn, catch up to the speed, etc, behind a veteran.

Steve Young comes to mind. Can't really look at his USFL beginning as that's not the NFL...not even close. Young's beginning at Tampa Bay was a disaster. But he then got signed by SF, where he was able to study behind Joe Montana for 4 years.

Even then, when Montana went down with an injury, Young didn't do too well. He got injured and was replaced by Steve Bono, who kept the job even after Young was healthy. The only reason Young got the job back was because Bono got injured himself...and this time, the light came on for Young.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Disagree with this. No way you can state this unequivocally. No way of knowing if some of the ones thrust into starting roles that failed, might have succeeded if they'd had a chance to learn, catch up to the speed, etc, behind a veteran.

Steve Young comes to mind. Can't really look at his USFL beginning as that's not the NFL...not even close. Young's beginning at Tampa Bay was a disaster. But he then got signed by SF, where he was able to study behind Joe Montana for 4 years.

Even then, when Montana went down with an injury, Young didn't do too well. He got injured and was replaced by Steve Bono, who kept the job even after Young was healthy. The only reason Young got the job back was because Bono got injured himself...and this time, the light came on for Young.

True. Just my opinion though

SheltonChoked
08-20-2016, 01:02 PM
I disagree. Starkville PD cost Dak a higher draft spot. I heard he dropped off Houston's draft board after the DUI. He was rated their number 1 QB before that.

msbulldog
08-20-2016, 01:07 PM
I disagree. Starkville PD cost Dak a higher draft spot. I heard he dropped off Houston's draft board after the DUI. He was rated their number 1 QB before that.

Might have been the best thing that could have happened (cost Dak serious money), but Houston is a train wreck.

Commercecomet24
08-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Wow Dak giving Dan and our offense props:

Congratulations, Dak Prescott. The entire football world is drooling over your preseason play, and for good reason.

Prescott finished 10 of 12 with 139 yards and two touchdowns in his first preseason game, but he saved his best for last night?s preseason game. Friday night, Prescott finished 12 of 15 for 199 yards with two touchdown passes and two rushing touchdowns.

Why is he feeling so comfortable, and why does the Cowboys? offense look so smooth under his watch? Prescott answered that question after the game, basically saying Dan Mullen?s offense is an NFL offense.

?The offense we ran at Mississippi State was nothing short of an NFL offense,? Prescott said. The only thing that was different is that we didn?t go under center. I swear to you, in (pre-draft) visits, every play they showed me, I could name it. We just called it something different. At another team I visited, they ran the exact same stuff we ran.

?Knowledge-wise, I think I?m the smartest quarterback that came in this class. I would love to go on the board and go head to head with anybody else. That?s how I feel. That?s how confident I am.?

I?m sure Mullen is smiling from ear to ear, marveling at the player he helped groom in Starkville. Prescott did a lot for MSU during his impressive record-breaking career, but what he?s doing right now could help MSU just as much. He?s continuing to put his alma mater on the map.

This is great stuff and shows what Dan is doing for us!

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2016, 01:20 PM

No, if true, that's Houston's fault for having an area scout that didn't know the kid and an atrocious draft process that severely penalized a kid for doing something that most everyone in that draft room has done before. If Dak was Houston's number 1 QB, then that would mean they had a 1st or 2nd round grade on him. So, due to a DUI, why not take him in the 3rd?

Chip
08-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Solid

Percho
08-20-2016, 04:04 PM
If you really think about it Dak is the first QB that Mullen scouted, recruited, and developed. Tyler Russell was already in the boat when Mullen was hired. Tyler even had second thoughts about his fit in Mullen's system. Mullen has proven that he is able to find the raw ingredients and prepare a QB to be great on both the college level and beyond.

I believe if Tyler had not been injured he would still be playing today.

Percho
08-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Bradshaw is another that comes to mind.

IMissJack
08-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Might have been the best thing that could have happened (cost Dak serious money), but Houston is a train wreck.

I'm a life long Cowboys fan that lives in Houston and follows the Texans also. I'm not sure how you can call 9-7 the last 2 years a train wreck. Bill Obrien is a good coach.

Getting to 9-7 with Brian Hoyer as the QB makes you a great coach.

Westdawg
08-20-2016, 07:31 PM
What we SHOULD be putting out there every day is that our HC has coached four different starting QBs in the NFL - Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, and now Dak Prescott.
I know, I know, Dak is not "the starter" yet, but as of right now but now, he is their #1.
He also coached Chris Leak and Brian Johnson - two really great college QBs

ScoobaDawg
08-20-2016, 07:39 PM
What we SHOULD be putting out there every day is that our HC has coached four different starting QBs in the NFL - Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, and now Dak Prescott.
I know, I know, Dak is not "the starter" yet, but as of right now but now, he is their #1.
He also coached Chris Leak and Brian Johnson - two really great college QBs

Ok step back... Dak isn't the starter. Isn't #1 and isn't going to be as long as Romo can run on the field.
Chill out guys.. it's one of the thing others will be making fun of us for.
Dak will likely be a starter one day.. but it won't be any time soon.

TUSK
08-20-2016, 08:01 PM

None, they get processed.*

Seriously, Star Jackson & Phillip Sims are the only ones that come to mind that were highly rated as QBs and never "panned" out... both were beaten out... although there's a couple on campus that may screw up the curve.