PDA

View Full Version : Big loss for OK State

Cowbellringer
08-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Don't wish injuries on anyone, but this may impact our game.

http://m.newsok.com/osu-football-cowboys-lose-offensive-lineman-devin-davis-to-knee-injury/article/3876244

msstate7
08-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Beat me to it.

Autry has to exploit this.

Coach34
08-26-2013, 10:38 PM
thats gonna hurt

Okrastar1
The planets are aligning......

Coach34
Preston Smith will be this match-up...and he should do well on the pass rush

Political Hack
08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
If we can get constant pressure it'll be a different ball game! New RB, new LT, unimpressive defense... the stars could be aligning.

msstate7
08-26-2013, 10:47 PM
For a team that loves to pass this has to be a huge blow.

CadaverDawg
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Collins is probably sporting a sly grin while reading this thread. [Whispers the word "mayhem"]

Political Hack
08-26-2013, 10:57 PM
I see it being a bigger blown in the run game. They don't give up sacks. they ran over 1,000 plays last year and were top 10 I believe in sacks allowed. That's impressive considering the number of plays they ran and the QB being in the shotgun all the time. Their system is awesome... it has some elements of Ken Dorsey's progression at the U. He would go through his reads and his 3rd or 4th read every play was a throw away. He never got sacked (until he threw the national championship game) because he knew where to get rid of the ball for every passing play. Okie State seems to have a similar system although I haven't watched them enough to be sure. With the U, Dorsey RARELY ever went back to his original read even if he had time.

deltadawg99
08-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Big loss no matter how you look at it.

aerodawg
08-27-2013, 12:06 AM
I agree with Political Hack and I doubt it will lead to much more in the way of sacks for our team. Their system doesn't have the qb sitting in the pocket long enough for guys to be too disruptive unless blocks are just completely whiffed. However, I feel it will affect them in the running game. If they move their previous tackle over from his guard spot, that opens the interior part of the line to some inexperience from a fairly good DL that we should have. If we can do anything to stop their passing, we should have a huge advantage because their run game will definitely be hindered.

Buddy
08-27-2013, 06:33 AM
I believe their starting LT from last season had been moved to guard this year. I imagine they'll just move him back to LT and plug in another player at guard. Not sure it will be as big a loss as it appears.

msstate7
08-27-2013, 06:44 AM
I believe their starting LT from last season had been moved to guard this year. I imagine they'll just move him back to LT and plug in another player at guard. Not sure it will be as big a loss as it appears.

If the guard that was last year's lt was their best lt, he would've been there before this injury. Any time you lose your best lt, it's a huge injury. Now they're weaker at lt and guard...

Buddy
08-27-2013, 07:09 AM
If the guard that was last year's lt was their best lt, he would've been there before this injury. Any time you lose your best lt, it's a huge injury. Now they're weaker at lt and guard...

True, but its not as if they are throwing a guy in there at LT who has no experience.... the fact that the guy started 12 games at LT last season has to help.

Quaoarsking
08-27-2013, 07:20 AM
How many career starts had this guy had? Regardless, the guy they perceived to be their best LT has been taken away from them, so it's very good news for us.

mic
08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
True, but its not as if they are throwing a guy in there at LT who has no experience.... the fact that the guy started 12 games at LT last season has to help.

ITS HUGE.. means the back up LT isn't ready to play and if he moved to guard from LT this year that means they have VERY weak guard play or he wasn't that good of a LT to begin with....

bocfarm
08-27-2013, 08:44 AM
You don't necessarily have to get sacks to **** up a play, if we get penetration and have a spy on the QB in case he runs it will create problems

FlabLoser
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Great timing. They have about 3 practices to shuffle the OL.

But they won't be clueless. They train their OL to know each position.

msstate7
08-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Great timing. They have about 3 practices to shuffle the OL.

But they won't be clueless. They train their OL to know each position.

So do we dial up several different blitzes early to try and confuse them?

Barking 13
08-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Collins is probably sporting a sly grin while reading this thread. [Whispers the word "mayhem"]

:cool:

Coach34
08-27-2013, 09:46 AM

They lose one of their best offensive linemen- to play somebody that wasnt good enough to start. And they have to do this full-time now.
They also now have their 2nd best LT playing there instead of their best.

Big loss for them. Also leaves them with less depth now

Imagine us losing Clausell, moving Malone to LT, and then starting Beckwith full-time. That would certainly make us not as good as we were

HancockCountyDog
08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
So do we dial up several different blitzes early to try and confuse them?

I wish I still gambled. What is the money line on this game?

I mean, they were already inexperienced on their OL, and now they lose their left freaking tackle? Eat shit Indian Burial ground!

This is huge news. Our strength is in the trenches and our job just got a lot easier. Just great news.

FlabLoser
08-27-2013, 09:55 AM
They lose one of their best offensive linemen- to play somebody that wasnt good enough to start. And they have to do this full-time now.
They also now have their 2nd best LT playing there instead of their best.

Big loss for them. Also leaves them with less depth now

Imagine us losing Clausell, moving Malone to LT, and then starting Beckwith full-time. That would certainly make us not as good as we were

Imagine us losing James Carmon.

Imagine Ole Miss losing "only" Michael Oher.

I've seen this movie many times and its always good for the defense. Collins is licking his chops.

sandwolf
08-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Eat shit Indian Burial ground!

Haha, I laughed.......but then I started wondering how long it would be before we got word that Gabe Jackson had broken his ankle while walking across the drill field.....

MSUDawg4Life
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
The guy was good enough to start at LT last year. He is good enough to start this year.

I'm thinking Parker Graham is their best offensive lineman. They moved him inside to help with run blocking because pass blocking is less important to them. The guy who was just lost to an ACL has never played a down of college football according to a poster on one of their sites. It's highly illogical to think that he was their "best" LT over a guy that started every game there last year.

Because of their offensive scheme and how low the likelihood of sacks coming from the DE position is, I believe they were willing to move their best OL inside and let a younger, less experienced player handle the LT position

If anything, this loss hurts their run blocking. The LT position is probably stronger now than last week because they have a better, more experienced player there.

Coach34
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
The guy was good enough to start at LT last year. He is good enough to start this year.

I'm thinking Parker Graham is their best offensive lineman. They moved him inside to help with run blocking because pass blocking is less important to them. The guy who was just lost to an ACL has never played a down of college football according to a poster on one of their sites. It's highly illogical to think that he was their "best" LT over a guy that started every game there last year.

Because of their offensive scheme and how low the likelihood of sacks coming from the DE position is, I believe they were willing to move their best OL inside and let a younger, less experienced player handle the LT position

If anything, this loss hurts their run blocking. The LT position is probably stronger now than last week because they have a better, more experienced player there.

You need to check things out before you post.

Davis started the last 2 games last year- he took the job from their starter because he was better. He was a R-Fr last year and they brought him along slow- and as the season wore on he played more and more- eventually taking the job. The other guy got moved to guard because even though he wasnt the best tackle- he was still one of their best 5 linemen.

They are putting a lesser player at LT than what they had- and putting a lesser player now at Guard. Only an idiot would think this is a positive for them

sandwolf
08-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Only an idiot would think this is a positive for them

This.

MSUDawg4Life
08-27-2013, 10:31 AM
You need to check things out before you post.

Davis started the last 2 games last year- he took the job from their starter because he was better. He was a R-Fr last year and they brought him along slow- and as the season wore on he played more and more- eventually taking the job. The other guy got moved to guard because even though he wasnt the best tackle- he was still one of their best 5 linemen.
They are putting a lesser player at LT than what they had- and putting a lesser player now at Guard. Only an idiot would think this is a positive for them

As I said, I was reading and relying on what some of their posters were saying about the injury. I don't doubt they could be wrong as some were confused about the guy's class. I never said it was a positive for them because I think the guard position Parker Graham is leaving will be weaker. But, the difference at LT may not be that great because of how they run their offense.

Speaking of idiots though ....

Why do you do stuff like this?

Coach34 ‏@Wool34 14h

@CoachDanMullen allow me to suggest having Nick James speak to former State player Dontae Walker. Tae (00-03) went to prison instead of NFL

None of our coaches ever acknowledge you. Yet, you insist on calling them out ... giving them "advice" ... on a public forum like Twitter. While slighting our current and former players at the same time. At this point, you don't know if anything is going on with Nick James. All that is rumor, but you insist on acting like you have insight and access to our coaches. Or that they value your opinion. Which they do not.

Stop making a fool of yourself by calling out our players and coaches like that. It doesn't help at all.

Please and thank you.

CadaverDawg
08-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Seriously? You think a pass happy team is going to willfully move a weaker lineman to block their QB's blind side?? Come on, mane!

MSUDawg4Life
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Seriously? You think a pass happy team is going to willfully move a weaker lineman to block their QB's blind side?? Come on, mane!

Are you sure they are pass happy? Or do they run the ball just as much or more than they pass? Is the reason they don't suffer a lot of sacks because they have great LTs or is it because they get rid of the ball quickly?

CadaverDawg
08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Are you sure they are pass happy? Or do they run the ball just as much or more than they pass? Is the reason they don't suffer a lot of sacks because they have great LTs or is it because they get rid of the ball quickly?

Well, considering we are in SEC country, I consider a 50/50 balance to be pass happy when our league is 60/40 run, but whatever. My point is, regardless of how quick you get rid of the ball, you never intentionally put a weaker lineman in your QB's blind spot.

My overall point is, you are trying REALLY hard to try and make this injury a small issue, when it is clearly a big loss for them. I agree that it's no reason to chalk up a W, but to try and downplay it as nothing, or like their backup is better than their starter is just stretching it.

Coach34
08-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Speaking of idiots though ....
Why do you do stuff like this?

Coach34 ?@Wool34 14h

@CoachDanMullen allow me to suggest having Nick James speak to former State player Dontae Walker. Tae (00-03) went to prison instead of NFL

None of our coaches ever acknowledge you. Yet, you insist on calling them out ... giving them "advice" ... on a public forum like Twitter. While slighting our current and former players at the same time. At this point, you don't know if anything is going on with Nick James. All that is rumor, but you insist on acting like you have insight and access to our coaches. Or that they value your opinion. Which they do not.

Stop making a fool of yourself by calling out our players and coaches like that. It doesn't help at all.

Please and thank you.

A) You dont have the slightest idea at what I know
B) You dont have the slightest idea of who I talk to
C) You do need to worry about being a better poster

There are many things I never talk about on here or anywhere because they dont need to be out in public

And I dont have to be acknowledged to be heard- you would be mighty surprised at the number of msstate.edu addresses we have signed up over here