PDA

View Full Version : Just rewatched the Troy game from last year to remind myself what RF did

Irondawg
08-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Take away his 3 bombs and we looked atrocious on offense. I had forgotten how bad it was.

I sure hope that's not what we have to look forward to this upcoming season.

Reason2succeed
08-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Who is RF? Do you mean Nick Fitz?

Irondawg
08-19-2016, 04:53 PM
yep - typo so if a mod can help me out there I'd appreciate it.

Jarius
08-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Take away 21 points in a game we won by 28 and we looked like shit!

Taog Redloh
08-19-2016, 05:03 PM
You're a moron. Deep bombs are part of the game, and they open up the inside.

missouridawg
08-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Nick had a great throw on the move from a busted pocket for a TD in that game. Hit the receiver in stride on a deep pass while on the move.

Maroonthirteen
08-19-2016, 05:05 PM
I don't know if there has ever been a QB as maligned as Fitz, before even starting a game.

Dawgcentral
08-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Seems like I recall we were in control the entire game.

I also remember a Troy game in which we were not.

No reason to run it up in that game. Keep it basic. Get a lead and keep it. Get playing time for all.

Irondawg
08-19-2016, 06:10 PM
He threw two beautiful deep balls and Gray made an incredible catch on another. I'm a fan of Fitz - liked him since his first Spring game.

I'm not saying it was all on Fitz but go rewatch yourself and tell me what you think. We couldn't move the ball. Couldn't run on Troy at all. I do think we scaled the playbook down with the lead but I was just surprised at how much we struggled on offense that game on a play by play basis.

Basically the O-line is going to have to be much improved and the QB read the defense well for us to score a lot of points. Same thing everybody has already said, but that game is an example of what we might look like if those things don't improve.

Rick Danko
08-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Take away his 3 bombs and we looked atrocious on offense. I had forgotten how bad it was.

Good god...

Todd4State
08-19-2016, 06:13 PM
He threw two beautiful deep balls and Gray made an incredible catch on another. I'm a fan of Fitz - liked him since his first Spring game.

I'm not saying it was all on Fitz but go rewatch yourself and tell me what you think. We couldn't move the ball. Couldn't run on Troy at all. I do think we scaled the playbook down with the lead but I was just surprised at how much we struggled on offense that game on a play by play basis.

Basically the O-line is going to have to be much improved and the QB read the defense well for us to score a lot of points. Same thing everybody has already said, but that game is an example of what we might look like if those things don't improve.

Odds are most of our returning guys are better. Plus Dak came up ill just before the game so I'm not sure how much prep Fitzgerald had but I would imagine it pretty much ruined whatever our gameplan was.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Excellent point actually. Take away 700 homers from Babe Ruth and he is a below average singles hitter.

Dawgcentral
08-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Take away Ruth's hitting and he's a HOF pitcher. But I see what you're saying.

Take away WWII and we're Freakin' Bama.

Are we really basing what will happen this year on last year's game with Troy? Crap! Are we scared of South Alabama now?

Someone made a " Chicken Little " reference to one of my posts the other day concerning how solid a QB commitment was when I said I hadn't read anything about the guy. Now we're making a reference to Troy as to how our season will go this year. CHICKEN LITTLE I tell you :-)

Bothrops
08-19-2016, 07:11 PM

Not to be an asshole, but can we please start referencing players by name, unless there's a familiar nickname universally used for an individual. My memory is challenged enough trying to keep up with all the number switches every year.

HoopsDawg
08-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Yep, Dak had a lot on his shoulders last year.

Red Sox Dawg
08-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Take away WWII and we're Freakin' Bama.

Most people here won't know how true that is.

sandwolf
08-20-2016, 12:08 AM

Haha, he only had 7 pass attempts and you want to take away 3 of them?

Irondawg
08-20-2016, 12:16 AM
My point was that he was 3-3 on deep throws and that is unsustainable. We looked terrible outside of those 3 throws, struggling to get first downs against Troy. All I'm saying is that is the only game with enough playing time to draw any conclusions on.

I don't think we will be nearly that bad but it was eye opening to go back and watch that game at how much we struggled against a weaker opponent. It made me a little more pessimistic about our ability to score consistently especially with some reports saying our qbs aren't lighting it up at practice.

We will find out in a few weeks

Reason2succeed
08-20-2016, 12:25 AM
My point was that he was 3-3 on deep throws and that is unsustainable. We looked terrible outside of those 3 throws, struggling to get first downs against Troy. All I'm saying is that is the only game with enough playing time to draw any conclusions on.

I don't think we will be nearly that bad but it was eye opening to go back and watch that game at how much we struggled against a weaker opponent. It made me a little more pessimistic about our ability to score consistently especially with some reports saying our qbs aren't lighting it up at practice.

Calm down. Back away from the ledge. Put the gun down and follow the prescriptions on your meds. We'll be fine. You just saw the finished product of Dan Mullen's work with QBs tonight in Dak. This isn't the first time Mullen has had to find a QB. These are the guys he recruited and they have all been here for a little while. If the QBs weren't struggling I would be concerned that our secondary is trash. Mullen will find offensive production. He always does.

Todd4State
08-20-2016, 12:59 AM

Rufus Warren graduated. Feel better now?

BossDawg
08-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Calm down. Back away from the ledge. Put the gun down and follow the prescriptions on your meds. We'll be fine. You just saw the finished product of Dan Mullen's work with QBs tonight in Dak. This isn't the first time Mullen has had to find a QB. These are the guys he recruited and they have all been here for a little while. If the QBs weren't struggling I would be concerned that our secondary is trash. Mullen will find offensive production. He always does.

Yeah it seems a lot of people are panicking before the season even starts. I'll admit, yes, I'm a little edgy but if Mullen can win 9 games with Relf at QB, surely he can do just as good with the guys we have now.

Dawgology
08-20-2016, 12:04 PM

This is just looking for something to be worried about...good grief. One thing that I will NEVER worry about on a Mullen team is the QB. Really.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Often, we (MSU fans) are our own (the program's) worst enemy, and the opening post of this thread is proof of that. Good gawd.

preachermatt83
08-20-2016, 09:46 PM
SMH!