PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fitz quote, "Our defense is awesome. It's the best since I've been here."

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2016, 09:07 PM
With all the uncertainty, this seems to be a constant coming out of camp. Our defense appears to be primed for a big season.

Listen to Fitz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi1NkZ8_TkY

msstate7
08-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Hopefully it isn't just the offense is the worst its been in fitz's career.

defiantdog
08-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Our defense is full of head hunters.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Hopefully it isn't just the offense is the worst its been in fitz's career.

I don't think that's the case. You can tell with the way he says it that he truly believes the defense is for real

msstate7
08-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Does our defense have the ability to carry us like OM's did 2 years ago?

Reason2succeed
08-18-2016, 09:20 PM
If we're going to contend with LSU and Alabama we have to have a championship defense. On paper this is the best defense we've ever had. Let's see what it is on the field.

He also said the offense looked good too.

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Actually, he said it's the best, "scheme" that we've had since he's been here. That speaks to Peter Sirmon and staff, as much as it does the players.

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Does our defense have the ability to carry us like OM's did 2 years ago?

That would be nice. Say what you want though, Bo Wallace was a play maker at QB. While he certainly made mistakes, he had no fear & made plays.

WesternSkyDawg
08-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Watching him react to the questions, it's amazing how even the young players have learned not to trust Mike Bonner.

JoseBrown
08-18-2016, 09:34 PM
"DBs looking phenomenal"

"Backs are picking up protection"

"Offense is looking phenomenal"

Hmm. Did he really say all of those things? Did I hear him correctly? Now, I do expect to see a badass defense this season at all positions personally.

Homedawg
08-18-2016, 09:35 PM
If we're going to contend with LSU and Alabama we have to have a championship defense. On paper this is the best defense we've ever had. Let's see what it is on the field.

Wow. I just don't see that at all. Questions at corner. Not sold on dl past Jefferson and Calvin and they aren't all league guys. Green has potential. But at this point it's potential. I'd love for you to be right.

msstate7
08-18-2016, 09:36 PM
"DBs looking phenomenal"

Hmm. Did he really say all of those things? Did I hear him correctly? Now, I do expect to see a badass defense this season at all positions personally.

Did he say we were less than awesome at any phase of the game? Wondering if fitz pumping the sunshine

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Watching him react to the questions, it's amazing how even the young players have learned not to trust Mike Bonner.

Bonner's problem is that he feels like since he graduated from Syracuse, he has to always ask the smartest question.

JoseBrown
08-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Did he say we were less than awesome at any phase of the game? Wondering if fitz pumping the sunshine

Yeah, I think he had the same "phenomenal" answer to every question, except for himself and the OL(working hard every day, maybe). I just thought some of the answers were funny compared with majority expectation....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-18-2016, 10:13 PM
I have to ask. If he graduate from Syracuse wtf is he doing down here?

Taog Redloh
08-18-2016, 10:13 PM
I'll say again, journalists are DOUCHES. You can tell he's just sitting there thinking, "you f*cking retards".

TXDawg
08-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Sounded a lot like "coach-speak". Talked a lot about how great the team is and how he's just trying to work hard and get better every day.

Watch his eyes, though. When asked about his play and the QB competition and who's going to be the starter, his demeanor and his answers were very deflective and contained a lot of "party line" answers.

I think his comments about the D are solid and truthful, but he's keeping his QB/offense information very close to the vest (much like Mullen does). I read that to mean that the QB questions have been answered (Fitz is the guy)and that the offense is looking good.

mic
08-18-2016, 11:31 PM
This is the best coaching staff and all around talent CDM has had on Def. since he has been here..

JohnnyQuid
08-18-2016, 11:43 PM

as the QB/a current player what else would you expect? I mean I'm sure there are phases we struggle and he might see but he's not gonna talk about that shit. the blanket answer for all this stuff nationwide is what you heard - they look awesome we're competing we're working hard we're battling etc etc etc. looking for actual info in these kinda interviews is a fruitless endeavor

Bonner is a turd can tell he's trying to ask some edgy shit.

RougeDawg
08-19-2016, 12:50 AM

Bbbbbingo. This is the most talented defense we've ever had. Yes we lost some key pieces from last year but we've never had this many ******'s on the 2 deep that I can recall. I know y'all will say stars don't matter but this group is going to surprise the SEC. Just you wait.

Plus I'll never be concerned about offense or QB play under Mullen. OLine sometimes hurts us not we've been a top offense for years. If we sure up the defense and let our defensive stops be an offensive help, we will wear some folks out. Nick James came on strong last year. He will be the impact player that determines our season. If he can free up space for our LB's we will wreak havoc. I say he will. He's a bull.

Tbonewannabe
08-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Wow. I just don't see that at all. Questions at corner. Not sold on dl past Jefferson and Calvin and they aren't all league guys. Green has potential. But at this point it's potential. I'd love for you to be right.

Nick James is going to wreck shit and we actually have 4 star recruits to work with.

msstate7
08-19-2016, 07:26 AM
as the QB/a current player what else would you expect? I mean I'm sure there are phases we struggle and he might see but he's not gonna talk about that shit. the blanket answer for all this stuff nationwide is what you heard - they look awesome we're competing we're working hard we're battling etc etc etc. looking for actual info in these kinda interviews is a fruitless endeavor

Bonner is a turd can tell he's trying to ask some edgy shit.

I expect fitz to say just what he said. I'm just pointing out that what fitz said should be taken with a grain of salt

basedog
08-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I expect fitz to say just what he said. I'm just pointing out that what fitz said should be taken with a grain of salt

Disagree, what should be taken with a grain of salt is the talk about who should play over who and what Mullen should do. Yes Mullen makes mistakes but he's been pretty darn good and Fitz interview was what a QB should be saying.

AROB44
08-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Disagree, what should be taken with a grain of salt is the talk about who should play over who and what Mullen should do. Yes Mullen makes mistakes but he's been pretty darn good and Fitz interview was what a QB should be saying.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to basedog again.

Beaver
08-19-2016, 09:40 AM
That would be nice. Say what you want though, Bo Wallace was a play maker at QB. While he certainly made mistakes, he had no fear & made plays.

Agreed. I'd take a Bo Wallace type season. Wallace threw lots of picks and fumbled the golden egg, but he was a sneaky runner and threw the ball downfield. Also our receiving core is just as talented as OM's in 2013-2014.

msstate7
08-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Im not sure what you disagree with. I said fitz should say what he said. Are you disagreeing with me that fitz's talk is pretty much just saying what he should or that what fitz said is 100% accurate and we're in store for a season for the ages?

parabrave
08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
"DBs looking phenomenal"

How about" the defensive players have had plenty of tackling practice and now know how to wrap up the ball carrier."

Joe Schmedlap
08-19-2016, 01:00 PM
This is the best coaching staff and all around talent CDM has had on Def. since he has been here..

Don't get attached to any defensive coaches.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-19-2016, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyQuid;594481]as the QB/a current player what else would you expect? I mean I'm sure there are phases we struggle and he might see but he's not gonna talk about that shit. the blanket answer for all this stuff nationwide is what you heard - they look awesome we're competing we're working hard we're battling etc etc etc. looking for actual info in these kinda interviews is a fruitless endeavor./QUOTE]

Bingo! This is spot on. Fitz is the de facto leader of the team and will give the party line. Nothing to see here.

HancockCountyDog
08-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Don't get attached to any defensive coaches.

Huh?

Also, the 2014 defense had five draft picks (Redmond,Jones,McKinney,Preston,Wells) and Eulls, Beni, and Calhoun both of whom made NFL camps.

If this year is better, I'll be happily surprised.

Man that 2014 defense was loaded.

Reason2succeed
08-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Huh?

Also, the 2014 defense had five draft picks (Redmond,Jones,McKinney,Preston,Wells) and Eulls, Beni, and Calhoun both of whom made NFL camps.

If this year is better, I'll be happily surprised.

Man that 2014 defense was loaded.

Sirmon could end up being better than Collins. He has NFL pedigree and coached at USC. We'll see.

Let's try to list player on the defense this year that will have a shot at the NFL.
DL
AJ Jefferson - later rounds
Simmons
John Calvin - if he has a monster season he could get a look
LB
Richie Brown - later rounds but possible
Leo Lewis
Gerri Green
DB
Brandon Bryant
Maybe another player in the secondary that we haven't seen yet

HancockCountyDog
08-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Sirmon could end up being better than Collins. He has NFL pedigree and coached at USC. We'll see.

Let's try to list player on the defense this year that will have a shot at the NFL.
DL
AJ Jefferson - later rounds
Simmons
John Calvin - if he has a monster season he could get a look
LB
Richie Brown - later rounds but possible
Leo Lewis
Gerri Green
DB
Brandon Bryant
Maybe another player in the secondary that we haven't seen yet

There is a difference in having NFL talent, and playing like a NFL draft pick. Leo could certainly be a draft pick in a few years, but he isn't there yet.

Im a big believer that defense comes down to talent, not as much scheme.

Simmons and Green should be draft picks, but Im not sure both play that well this year, Green hopefully will, but I need to see it.

I guess my point was that we had 7 guys that were juniors or seniors in 2014 that were either drafted or likely to make a practice squad, and that doesn't Chris Jones as a sophomore who was a physical freak of nature.

I don't like it when people forget how talented some of our defenses have been.

Hell, look at 2010 - I think we had 7-8 NFL players on that defense as well. Two of whom are pro bowlers.

Now this year could be solid, but I don't see a draft eligible DL on our team right now getting drafted. Maybe AJ late. Lets not forget how talented some of our Mullen defenses have been.

DownwardDawg
08-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Sirmon could end up being better than Collins.

I certainly hope so!!!

Reason2succeed
08-19-2016, 03:25 PM
There is a difference in having NFL talent, and playing like a NFL draft pick. Leo could certainly be a draft pick in a few years, but he isn't there yet.

Im a big believer that defense comes down to talent, not as much scheme.

Simmons and Green should be draft picks, but Im not sure both play that well this year, Green hopefully will, but I need to see it.

I guess my point was that we had 7 guys that were juniors or seniors in 2014 that were either drafted or likely to make a practice squad, and that doesn't Chris Jones as a sophomore who was a physical freak of nature.

I don't like it when people forget how talented some of our defenses have been.

Hell, look at 2010 - I think we had 7-8 NFL players on that defense as well. Two of whom are pro bowlers.

Now this year could be solid, but I don't see a draft eligible DL on our team right now getting drafted. Maybe AJ late. Lets not forget how talented some of our Mullen defenses have been.

So we agree that honestly we won't know or be able to compare until after this season is over. Some guys may play their way into NFL prospects. We've never seen Sirmon's defense try to stop LSU or Bama.

We're all dying to have something to talk about but until they actually go out there and play someone with a different color jersey on we just don't know. 15 days left

Dawgcentral
08-19-2016, 05:41 PM
So we agree that honestly we won't know or be able to compare until after this season is over. Some guys may play their way into NFL prospects. We've never seen Sirmon's defense try to stop LSU or Bama.

We're all dying to have something to talk about but until they actually go out there and play someone with a different color jersey on we just don't know. 15 days left

I agree. Let's put the pads on and hit somebody. Season can't start soon enough! Right now everyone is trying to get the "deeper meaning" out of every answer to every question. None of these players or coaches even want to take time to answer the questions. It's as if every answer really means either, "I'd be a dumbass to answer that truthfully because it's a weakness", or " if I told you the truth about that the opposition can game plan away from that strength".

Why do folks think we close practices for installation?

Reason2succeed
08-19-2016, 06:03 PM
I agree. Let's put the pads on and hit somebody. Season can't start soon enough! Right now everyone is trying to get the "deeper meaning" out of every answer to every question. None of these players or coaches even want to take time to answer the questions. It's as if every answer really means either, "I'd be a dumbass to answer that truthfully because it's a weakness", or " if I told you the truth about that the opposition can game plan away from that strength".

Why do folks think we close practices for installation?

Coaches are suppose to "sandbag" (as Jake Wim calls it). Players are supposed to hype the teammates and talk about how they are just grinding everyday and trying to get better. There's nothing good that can come about by saying "I'm the best QB in the country".* None.

Either you will come out and get proved wrong and embarrassed or everyone will be pleasantly surprised and you will praise for being humble.