PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:04 PM
Swanson to Atlanta

shoeless joe
08-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Yep...just heard on the broadcast. Been watching the last week and this is definitely a better brand of ball they're playing.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Yep...just heard on the broadcast. Been watching the last week and this is definitely a better brand of ball they're playing.

Glad someone besides me is still watching haha

They are playing much better. Hopefully some pitching can get back healthy soon

shoeless joe
08-16-2016, 07:14 PM

The arm talent is definitely there with this staff. But being young explains why the scores jump around like they do. I think consistent offense is what the braves need more than anything. Which is why I think they're going ahead and calling up Swanson. May take some lumps this year but will have a jump on next season. I do think '18 will be the year this team is quite formidable with next year being a major improvement to this one.

BrunswickDawg
08-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Swanson to Atlanta

Lots of proud people in my hometown of Marietta tonight. Proud to say I'm a fellow Blue Devil. Hope he is our next Chipper.

BrunswickDawg
08-16-2016, 07:31 PM

They have been playing significantly better since the AS break - in spite of a ton of injuries.

parabrave
08-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Swanson to Atlanta

Dam I was going yo see him play next wednesday night in biloxi.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Dam I was going yo see him play next wednesday night in biloxi.

Peterson and Albies likely to still be there. They're good players too

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Snitker has em playing hard. Since he took over been much better and they haven't mailed it in, they're playing hard. Credit to snitker and the players. Excited to see Swanson, aybar was absolutely awful. Was a contest between aybar, aj and o'flaherty for least valuable player this year.

BoomBoom
08-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Swanson to Atlanta

odd. he's not really tearing up AA. i'd have let him finish the season, then start 2017 in AAA, and call him up midseason. but i guess they are committed to him being a starter on opening day, and if so then it makes sense to call him up now. unless this is just a cup of coffee since they just dumped Aybar on somebody today, and they still plan on letting him develop a little more next year before calling him up, and delaying his clock.

Oleo
08-17-2016, 07:51 AM
Swanson has batted .275/.362/.426 with nine home runs and 13 stolen bases in 105 games this season between High-A Carolina and Double-A Mobile.

msstate7
08-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Swanson has batted .275/.362/.426 with nine home runs and 13 stolen bases in 105 games this season between High-A Carolina and Double-A Mobile.

He's really not been as impressive at miss (.261/.342/.402) as I expected. I hope some of that is the crazy amount of off days he's gotten of late. Bringing Swanson up has obviously been the plan for awhile bc having 2-3 days off a week makes no sense other than just trying to keep him fresh to close out the year in Atlanta

Oleo
08-17-2016, 08:10 AM
A kid with such obvious natural talent will benefit from going to the bigs as soon as possible. Making the adjustment to best pitching sooner than later.

With Aybar gone, he should start and stay started

louisvilledawg
08-17-2016, 08:18 AM

Double-A Mobile? You mean Double-A Jackson right?

louisvilledawg
08-17-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm kinda bummed about Swanson being called up this week. I had suite tickets for the weekend. I realize we still have some good talent in AA, but obviously not as good as Swanson.

msstate7
08-17-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm kinda bummed about Swanson being called up this week. I had suite tickets for the weekend. I realize we still have some good talent in AA, but obviously not as good as Swanson.

Don't be surprised if Albies is in Gwinnett very soon

Oleo
08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Double-A Mobile? You mean Double-A Jackson right?

yes,,, Mississippi Braves

BoomBoom
08-17-2016, 10:11 AM
He's really not been as impressive at miss (.261/.342/.402) as I expected. I hope some of that is the crazy amount of off days he's gotten of late. Bringing Swanson up has obviously been the plan for awhile bc having 2-3 days off a week makes no sense other than just trying to keep him fresh to close out the year in Atlanta

Counter I heard is that AA Miss is a pitchers park, and he's hitting 820 or so OPS on the road.

I think it will work out fine, but is a decision they will regret come arb and FA time for him. A month in AAA (until mid April) for an extra year of team control seems a no brainer in this case.

Beaver
08-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Watched Swanson several times in Pearl this summer. You can see the talent. He's got good pop, he just needs more experience. His glove is excellent, and he plays hard. My guess is he will struggle hitting MLB pitching for now. However, the experience should help him come Spring Training next year as he will know what he has to work on in order to be a consistent MLB hitter.

Oleo
08-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Despite the Braves dismal pitching while losing the game .... Swanson had a great first game. He looked sharp in the field and smacked that ball hard. 2-4 at the plate. Both solid hits and even his first at-bat he hit the ball hard, hard hit line drive right at the outfielder.

msstate7
08-18-2016, 07:22 AM
Despite the Braves dismal pitching while losing the game .... Swanson had a great first game. He looked sharp in the field and smacked that ball hard. 2-4 at the plate. Both solid hits and even his first at-bat he hit the ball hard, hard hit line drive right at the outfielder.

Impressive debut for sure. I've heard Barry Larkin comparisons and I really like that comparison.