PDA

View Full Version : Coach Question (not Hev)

1bigdawg
08-16-2016, 11:37 AM
We all question our running back strategy. If we end up playing Holloway and Shump again because "the other guys are not good pass blockers," then it may be time to look for a new RB coach. When you have one player who doesn't learn to block, like Josh, you can write it down to attitude. When you have four talented backs that are in their second and third year in the program, that does not wash. Even if it is an attitude problem, when it is multiple guys that means the coach is approaching it wrong.

When Mullen first came, Knox gave us continuity. Also, he was supposed to be a great recruiter. We have plenty of continuity now and he is no long a lights out recruiter, if he ever was. Before someone says he is an offensive coach and Mullen won't change, remember that he is not one of the Florida boys, unlike the others.

Now, this is all preseason BS. If our running backs tear it up this year, it will all be moot. If we go with Holloway and Shump and they don't get it done in the big games, we need to revisit this.

mic
08-16-2016, 12:57 PM
We all question our running back strategy. If we end up playing Holloway and Shump again because "the other guys are not good pass blockers," then it may be time to look for a new RB coach. When you have one player who doesn't learn to block, like Josh, you can write it down to attitude. When you have four talented backs that are in their second and third year in the program, that does not wash. Even if it is an attitude problem, when it is multiple guys that means the coach is approaching it wrong.

When Mullen first came, Knox gave us continuity. Also, he was supposed to be a great recruiter. We have plenty of continuity now and he is no long a lights out recruiter, if he ever was. Before someone says he is an offensive coach and Mullen won't change, remember that he is not one of the Florida boys, unlike the others.

Now, this is all preseason BS. If our running backs tear it up this year, it will all be moot. If we go with Holloway and Shump and they don't get it done in the big games, we need to revisit this.

It's not so much pass blocking or knowing the offense..
I think the main reason here could be these RB's as a whole just aren't everyday #1 calibure SEC RB's..
That's not saying they aren't good or cant contribute and give us a good running game.
We just may not see anyone separate themselves from the rest..

HoopsDawg
08-16-2016, 01:12 PM
I don't think you can fault Knox when he has contributed to putting Dixon, Ballard, and J-Rob into the league. We also have an excellent back committed.

As for the RB rotation, along with all other positional rotations, we know that Dan has a heavy influence on those decisions.

Jack Lambert
08-16-2016, 01:44 PM
I think Dan expects a lot out of his Skill players.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Dan expects a lot out of his players.

FIFY

MaroonFlounder
08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Aries Williams, if he protects the ball. 20+ carries a game. This needs to happen.

DawgPoundtheRock
08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
If I recall correctly, the non-pass blocking was reported on this board as rumor. I take it as that. Otherwise, it is coach-speak. We are only into the second week of camp. I think our questions will begin to be answered against USA, but not finalized.

preachermatt83
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
It's not so much pass blocking or knowing the offense..
I think the main reason here could be these RB's as a whole just aren't everyday #1 calibure SEC RB's..
That's not saying they aren't good or cant contribute and give us a good running game.
We just may not see anyone separate themselves from the rest..

We agree A LOT but I just can't agree with this. Williams, Murphy, Shump, and Gibson were all very highly touted. I think OP is absolutely right on this.

MaroonFlounder
08-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Murphy was a 3-star. Shump, Gibson, Williams were 4-star.

RiverCityDawg
08-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I think the main reason here could be these RB's as a whole just aren't everyday #1 caliber SEC RB's.

You might be right about his point but we have 4 that are higher caliber runners than Shumpert. If our RB coach cannot coach them up so that they can play, then at some point it's on the coach. I'm willing to give Knox a pass for last year since we've always been good previously, but I swear I'm done with him if we can't get at least one of these other four guys ready to take the carries. We've got probably 10-15 guys on our roster I would rather see carry the ball instead of Shumpert, not counting defensive guys I would move to RB before giving Shump another meaningful carry.

Turfdawg67
08-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Yawn... we have one (1) bad year at RB in, uh... well a long, long time, and it's time to get rid of coaches?? Our OL sucked and Dan wanted to groom Dak into something more than a running QB. Enough already! That's what happened last year. We'll kick ass this year at RB. Probably have two 800 yd guys this year.

lamont
08-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Aries Williams, if he protects the ball. 20+ carries a game. This needs to happen.

literally no chance of this happening