PDA

View Full Version : Random Poster's rumors from Fall camp

lamont
08-15-2016, 08:19 PM
A) We are better coached on D than we have been in awhile. Sirmon impresses- as does the rest of the defensive staff. A couple people inside the building call this the best staff on D we have had under Mullen.

B) T-Buck promises he will find some better OL talent to recruit

C) Feeling is we will be improved on D

D) Our QB's look average at best.

E) The D is pounding the O's ass. The DL is wrecking shit

F) Gray is stepping up and gives us another weapon

G) Our OL should be at least slightly better

H) Green is a monster

I) Mullen wont risk an early season loss by starting Tiano to get his lumps. Feels Fitz and Williams can do enough to get by early on as they too get more experience. Got to go with experience- and they all need it.

J) Expect Holloway and Shump until the younger guys learn how to pass block.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I have a feeling that our running backs will suddenly learn how to pass block better when Shumpert and Holloway graduate.

And you think about it- both of our high school o-line commits are from Buckley's recruiting area. It's sad that he has to do Hevesey's job too.

Dallas_Dawg
08-15-2016, 08:29 PM
How in the **** can Holloway pass block anybody but Aeris and D Lee cannot in Year 3?
Anybody remember the picture of Holloway trying to block Myles Garrett?

lamont
08-15-2016, 08:32 PM
How in the **** can Holloway pass block anybody but Aeris and D Lee cannot in Year 3?
Anybody remember the picture of Holloway trying to block Myles Garrett?

pass blocking is our excuse every year for why the younger RB's dont get time

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2016, 08:35 PM
pass blocking is our excuse every year for why the younger RB's dont get time

Yeah, it's getting old. Our coaches error on the side of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. It's why we beat who we should & lose games where are an underdog.

I just listened to Sallach's post-practice interview today & he went on & on about consistency, being reliable, & bring it every day. While in theory I agree with him, in practice it stops making sense when you don't have your most talented players on the field in favor of guys that just won't screw up.

There has to be a balance.

BeardoMSU
08-15-2016, 08:35 PM
A) We are better coached on D than we have been in awhile. Sirmon impresses- as does the rest of the defensive staff. A couple people inside the building call this the best staff on D we have had under Mullen.

H) Green is a monster

I) Mullen wont risk an early season loss by starting Tiano to get his lumps. Feels Fitz and Williams can do enough to get by early on as they too get more experience. Got to go with experience- and they all need it.

You forgot....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGbDEAnDyo

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2016, 08:36 PM
As for the QBs being average, my hope is that someone will win the team over once real games start

archdog
08-15-2016, 08:39 PM
I heard AK Kelly should have been from California....California. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

archdog
08-15-2016, 08:41 PM
zero reason for what you wrote in the post I edited.

GreenheadDawg
08-15-2016, 08:51 PM
You can't tell me a 150lb Holloway can pass block better the rest of them. Same bullshit excuse every year

Steakonastick
08-15-2016, 09:13 PM
I can understand shump being a good blocker. And this is no offense to Holloway. But Williams and Lee would at least alter the path of Gerri Green on a blitz. Holloway is nothing more then a speed bump back there.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2016, 09:15 PM
I re watch all the games last season and Holloway got better each game. I expect big things out of him this season.

Pollodawg
08-15-2016, 09:21 PM
I re watch all the games last season and Holloway got better each game. I expect big things out of him this season.

Really. Gimme Holloway over Shump any day.

Beaver
08-15-2016, 09:28 PM
I think I tried to defend Shump at the beginning of last year. I won't do it again... Unless he's turned into Derrick Henry I really don't want to see him as an Rb.

Pollodawg
08-15-2016, 09:31 PM
As far as running back goes. I have no idea why Shump thinks he can cut and spin like that in the backfield. You can't, dude. We all love you, but please just suck it up and be the fullback you were always meant to be. His lateral movements are soooo slooooooowwwwww. He looks like he's running in concrete when he tries to juke and cut. And for some reason, he cannot find the open field. That was something JRob, pain the rear end he's been lately, could absolutely do. It was something Ballard could do and Myles and Holloway can do it some. Ballard and Robinson just had noses for running to space. Once they broke the line, they ran were the defense wasn't.

Go back and watch Auburn, LSU, and ATM circa 2014. I have never seen a finer performance by a tailback in MSU history, and that included AD in his prime. JRob just knew instinctively where to go. We don't have that now.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Yeah, Holloway doesn't bother me. He's not terribly different than some of the Oregon running backs like D'Anthony Thomas or Kenjon Barner. I think Holloway is fine between the 20s, but we've got to add a truck horse that can convert 3rd & 3.

Unless Shump has increased a grade in athleticism, speed, & lightness on his feet, I have no interest

The problem with Shump is that this isn't a situation where he has to "learn", stop fumbling, etc.... these aren't correctable problems. He has physical limitations

TrapGame
08-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Gee Random, you sure know a lot for a Taco Bell manager.

But, I agree with Beaver, if Shump gets tackled by a hash mark every other down this season I'm gonna scream.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Gee Random, you sure know a lot for a Taco Bell manager.

But, I agree with Beaver, if Shump gets tackled by a hash mark every other down this season I'm gonna scream.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/548/546/10b.gif

Commercecomet24
08-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Yeah, Holloway doesn't bother me. He's not terribly different than some of the Oregon running backs like D'Anthony Thomas or Kenjon Barner. I think Holloway is fine between the 20s, but we've got to add a truck horse that can convert 3rd & 3.

Unless Shump has increased a grade in athleticism, speed, & lightness on his feet, I have no interest

The problem with Shump is that this isn't a situation where he has to "learn", stop fumbling, etc.... these aren't correctable problems. He has physical limitations

Shumpert has no vision at all. I re watched all of our games and time and time again shumpert missed the hole. One play against auburn really stands out. The right side of our ol collapsed the auburn DL, bear had the corner sealed and shump had 15 yards before he would've been touched. Instead he cuts back left runs into dak and gets tackled for an 8 yard loss. Our ol weren't world beaters but shump made them look much worse when he ran the ball. He missed the hole 80% of the time.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2016, 09:56 PM
If QB's were just average I don't think a 6'5" 240 pound QB who runs like a deer would leave. I think it's a sign that he was being left behind and Tiano is pushing everyone for the starting spot.

Mjoelner34
08-15-2016, 10:01 PM
He missed the hole 80% of the time.

A lot of that was due to running with his head down. I swear he's looking at his feet before he reaches the line of scrimmage. I bet he's hell in the tire drills.

Tripp McNeely
08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
If QB's were just average I don't think a 6'5" 240 pound QB who runs like a deer would leave. I think it's a sign that he was being left behind and Tiano is pushing everyone for the starting spot.

^^^this!! That's the only thing I disagree with in the original post. Mullen hasn't had QB "clay" like this since Alex Smith. He's going to mold Fitz AND Tiano into NFL QBs.

Commercecomet24
08-15-2016, 10:07 PM
A lot of that was due to running with his head down. I swear he's looking at his feet before he reaches the line of scrimmage. I bet he's hell in the tire drills.

Absolutely correct, never seen a back reach this level with so poor fundamentals running the football. Now I do give shump props for his effort and playing hard and the dude is a good blocker. He just ain't a feature back. And the tire drill stuff is hilarious!

preachermatt83
08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
One thing I will say about Shump.. In the bowl game He ran like we all thought he could coming in. Like a Mack truck.

lamont
08-15-2016, 10:11 PM
If QB's were just average I don't think a 6'5" 240 pound QB who runs like a deer would leave.

I'm confused? Staley was not a good runner at all and has knee problems. He ran more like Tyler Russell than a deer.

I'm just relaying what someone said from practice

Harrydawg
08-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Correct, Staley could not run.....he was the slowest runner of the group with a huge arm. And loooooooong wind up

mic
08-15-2016, 10:56 PM
This team is and is going to be much more talented than most think...

TaleofTwoDogs
08-16-2016, 12:01 AM
This team is and is going to be much more talented than most think...

Let's hope that the players have that same confidence

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 01:03 AM
I am trying to work on my negativity.....

...But I'm not there yet.

I am so sick of seeing better RB's wasting away on our bench until their Junior year (or until they leave) while we keep playing the "veteran that knows how to pass block" card with Holloway & Shumpert. Shumpert & Holloway are 100% NOT the answer at RB...so why are we wasting needed reps for guys that CAN be the answer? Holloway will do his usual good performances against South Alabama & other schools that he should be playing for, and Shumpert will continue to play great on Special Teams but like he's blindfolded & in quick sand at RB. It's time to freaking cut bait and let Aeris, Lee, Gibson, and Murphy have a shot at being the guys we recruited them to be. These guys badly need to be each given a quarter in those first games so they will be ready for big games. Please let's quit banging our heads into the wall with Shumpert & Holloway.

Oh, & whoever compared Holloway to some of the recent upper echelon Oregon RB's should receive a 1 week ban for insulting those Oregon RB's.

Of course Mullen is going to be the one to make me have to refocus on my attempts to become more positive. He's the dumbest smart guy I've ever seen.

Bothrops
08-16-2016, 03:48 AM

I am so sick of seeing better RB's wasting away on our bench until their Junior year (or until they leave) while we keep playing the "veteran that knows how to pass block" card with Holloway & Shumpert. Shumpert & Holloway are 100% NOT the answer at RB...so why are we wasting needed reps for guys that CAN be the answer? Holloway will do his usual good performances against South Alabama & other schools that he should be playing for, and Shumpert will continue to play great on Special Teams but like he's blindfolded & in quick sand at RB. It's time to freaking cut bait and let Aeris, Lee, Gibson, and Murphy have a shot at being the guys we recruited them to be. These guys badly need to be each given a quarter in those first games so they will be ready for big games. Please let's quit banging our heads into the wall with Shumpert & Holloway.

Oh, & whoever compared Holloway to some of the recent upper echelon Oregon RB's should receive a 1 week ban for insulting those Oregon RB's.

Of course Mullen is going to be the one to make me have to refocus on my attempts to become more positive. He's the dumbest smart guy I've ever seen.

So are you saying we should have a running game?

AROB44
08-16-2016, 05:34 AM
And the agenda begins again.......

starkvegasdawg
08-16-2016, 05:37 AM
So are you saying we should have a running game?

I think he's saying we should see if we can have a running game by sorting out backs by talent and potential rather than by if they need a fake ID to buy a cold one.

dawgday166
08-16-2016, 06:35 AM

Me too! Sick and tired of a continual repeat of this scenario that is.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:12 AM
2015 Rb stats

Aeris...
40 rushes 206 yds
6 rec 18 yds
46 touches 224 yds 4.87 yds/touch

Holloway...
92 rushes 413 yds
33 rec 396 yds
125 touches 809 yds 6.47 yds/touch

Shump...
59 rushes 228 yds
13 rec 101 yds
72 touches 337 yds 4.68 yds/touch

Lee...
22 rushes 137 yds
2 rec 15 yds
24 touches 152 yds 6.33 yds/touch

I guess you could say Lee needed for touches to see if he could maintain that avg/touch. Overall though, I think the most productive player (Holloway) got the most touches and his production says he deserved them

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 07:20 AM
2015 Rb stats

Aeris...
40 rushes 206 yds
6 rec 18 yds

Holloway...
92 rushes 413 yds
33 rec 396 yds

Shump...
59 rushes 228 yds
13 rec 101 yds

Lee...
22 rushes 137 yds
2 rec 15 yds

I guess you could say Lee needed for touches to see if he could maintain that avg/touch. Overall though, I think the most productive player (Holloway) got the most touches and his production says he deserved them

Stats are deceiving. We need a RB that can play RB. Holloway is a decent pass catcher out of the backfield, and can break a decent run here and there....but lining up against Bama, LSU, and even Ole Miss and teams like that in this league with Holloway & Shumpert, will Not get it done. Period.

Everybody knows it. They both work hard and I like them...they just aren't SEC running backs. There is really no debating it. Holloway can play 3rd down back, but it's still not ideal in SEC West games bc he is too small & is a liability with the ball in his hands for that reason alone....and Shumpert is a fullback.

thf24
08-16-2016, 07:22 AM
Thing about Shump is he's not even that great of a blocker either. Yeah he's strong and aggressive, but he gets absolutely embarrassed at times despite that.

starkvegasdawg
08-16-2016, 07:24 AM
2015 Rb stats

Aeris...
40 rushes 206 yds
6 rec 18 yds

Holloway...
92 rushes 413 yds
33 rec 396 yds

Shump...
59 rushes 228 yds
13 rec 101 yds

Lee...
22 rushes 137 yds
2 rec 15 yds

But when you look at their main job, running, Holloway is no longer on top.

Aeris - 5.15ypc
Holloway - 4.47ypc
Shump - 3.86ypc
Lee - 6.22ypc

I'm not saying there isn't a role for Holloway in the offense, but as your stats show, they are more as a receiver than a RB. He is not an SEC RB. With his size and speed he needs to be mainly running the jet sweeps and catching the ball on screens. Aeris and Lee are our RB's from last year. They are the ones you give it to on 4 and 2 with the game on the line because they can move the pile to get that crucial first down. I know Lee was rumored to be in Dan's dog house most of last year and that may have kept him off the field more than what was planned, but out of the guys on this list, he has shown the most potential. Games in the SEC are not routinely won with a RB that barely outweighs a cheerleader. They are won with a guy that can lower his shoulder and put a LB on his ass.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Stats are deceiving. We need a RB that can play RB. Holloway is a decent pass catcher out of the backfield, and can break a decent run here and there....but lining up against Bama, LSU, and even Ole Miss and teams like that in this league with Holloway & Shumpert, will Not get it done. Period.

Everybody knows it. They both work hard and I like them...they just aren't SEC running backs. There is really no debating it. Holloway can play 3rd down back, but it's still not ideal in SEC West games bc he is too small & is a liability with the ball in his hands for that reason alone....and Shumpert is a fullback.

Maybe so, but we were a bad 2-pt conversion pass to shump away from beating lsu last year. We had the right guy (shump) on the right play, but again, a bad pass...

msstate7
08-16-2016, 07:26 AM

Aeris - 5.15ypc
Holloway - 4.47ypc
Shump - 3.86ypc
Lee - 6.22ypc

I'm not saying there isn't a role for Holloway in the offense, but as your stats show, they are more as a receiver than a RB. He is not an SEC RB. With his size and speed he needs to be mainly running the jet sweeps and catching the ball on screens. Aeris and Lee are our RB's from last year. They are the ones you give it to on 4 and 2 with the game on the line because they can move the pile to get that crucial first down. I know Lee was rumored to be in Dan's dog house most of last year and that may have kept him off the field more than what was planned, but out of the guys on this list, he has shown the most potential. Games in the SEC are not routinely won with a RB that barely outweighs a cheerleader. They are won with a guy that can lower his shoulder and put a LB on his ass.

We were a passing team though last year. If we were better at run blocking last year, I think aeris' rushing totals would've went up.

Bama_Dawg
08-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Aeris - 5.15ypc
Holloway - 4.47ypc
Shump - 3.86ypc
Lee - 6.22ypc

This is nice, but also lets look at the fumbles per touch ratio as well. Its the whole risk/reward thing.

Love talking stats. As I've always been told there's liars, damn liars, and statistics.

Oleo
08-16-2016, 07:44 AM
We need to have our team identity centered around Defense. The offnse can find itself as the season progresses but we better come out fighting on Defense. LSU can be beat with defense more than any other team and a victory there would be huge.

FISHDAWG
08-16-2016, 07:46 AM
like I have said before ... 7 & 5 with a loss to Auburn in Starkville .... payoff comes the following season

Political Hack
08-16-2016, 07:47 AM

The only QB we have that runs like a deer is Nicky Fitz. Not sure about Tiano but Fitz is an NFL level TE from an athleticism standpoint.

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Here's my reasoning on this...

First off, I like Holloway & Shumpert. They can't control their size & speed, and both work extremely hard.

That being said, I'm all about MSU winning games and maximizing productivity every game. Holloway doesn't run a 4.4 forty...we have guys that are 6 feet tall that are almost or equally as fast as him, yet have 25+ more pounds of muscle/weight. So if you're going to sniff the field in good SEC play at 5'6 170, you better be the fastest guy on the field....Holloway is not.

Also, in order for teams not to always guard only the outside or the pass against Holloway, we have to run him up the middle multiple times per game so teams respect that he might. So we completely waste multiple snaps per game on Holloway up the middle when we know it's just for show. Think about that.

If we have very highly rated and regarded RB's on our depth chart with similar speed, yet much bigger builds for running in all lanes, breaking tackles, and actually being able to stop a pass rusher in pass blocking....why would you not get them ready and get them in games immediately so they can give us what we need against those good SEC teams? Why continue wasting snaps on a guy that isn't capable of getting you a tough few yards, can't fall forward, can't break a tackle, and on top of that can't outrun many if any corners in this league?

There is a place for Brandon....but feature back on a SEC West team that is admittedly going more heavy to the ground game in 2016, is NOT that place.

Also, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to teach a guy our plays and how to pass block in 2 years. Our running game ain't that damn good or complicated. There are freshmen RB's playing all over the country, yet we sign a 4 star that chose us over Bama, and he's once again not going to get major touches bc of lame excuses, his age, and bc we have a veteran that has good games against all the teams we would beat regardless and/or in garbage time vs any teams that could win us the league we're in.

I guess I'm just one of those guys that has dreams of us winning the SEC or at least maximizing our wins....instead of just being happy with winning the ones we should while beefing up our yards per carry against USM or while down 20 to Bama and running the ball. If anybody can honestly say that Holloway or Shumpert can be the tailback that helps us beat LSU, Bama, or Ole Miss in Oxford this year, then you see something I don't. Otherwise, we have different goals in mind for what we want MSU to accomplish.

starkvegasdawg
08-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Here's my reasoning on this...

First off, I like Holloway & Shumpert. They can't control their size & speed, and both work extremely hard.

That being said, I'm all about MSU winning games and maximizing productivity every game. Holloway doesn't run a 4.4 forty...we have guys that are 6 feet tall that are almost or equally as fast as him, yet have 25+ more pounds of muscle/weight. So if you're going to sniff the field in good SEC play at 5'6 170, you better be the fastest guy on the field....Holloway is not.

Also, in order for teams not to always guard only the outside or the pass against Holloway, we have to run him up the middle multiple times per game so teams respect that he might. So we completely waste multiple snaps per game on Holloway up the middle when we know it's just for show. Think about that.

If we have very highly rated and regarded RB's on our depth chart with similar speed, yet much bigger builds for running in all lanes, breaking tackles, and actually being able to stop a pass rusher in pass blocking....why would you not get them ready and get them in games immediately so they can give us what we need against those good SEC teams? Why continue wasting snaps on a guy that isn't capable of getting you a tough few yards, can't fall forward, can't break a tackle, and on top of that can't outrun many if any corners in this league?

There is a place for Brandon....but feature back on a SEC West team that is admittedly going more heavy to the ground game in 2016, is NOT that place.

Also, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to teach a guy our plays and how to pass block in 2 years. Our running game ain't that damn good or complicated. There are freshmen RB's playing all over the country, yet we sign a 4 star that chose us over Bama, and he's once again not going to get major touches bc of lame excuses, his age, and bc we have a veteran that has good games against all the teams we would beat regardless and/or in garbage time vs any teams that could win us the league we're in.

I guess I'm just one of those guys that has dreams of us winning the SEC or at least maximizing our wins....instead of just being happy with winning the ones we should while beefing up our yards per carry against USM or while down 20 to Bama and running the ball. If anybody can honestly say that Holloway or Shumpert can be the tailback that helps us beat LSU, Bama, or Ole Miss in Oxford this year, then you see something I don't. Otherwise, we have different goals in mind for what we want MSU to accomplish.

This. All of it. Every last word, letter, and puncuation mark.

I would have repped this, but I have to spread it around some more.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Interesting about Holloway...

Rushing conf only -- 58 att 296 yds 5.10 att

Rec conf only -- 24 rec 280 yds 11.7 rec

Totals conf only -- 82 touches 576 yds 7.02 yds/touch

He was better in conference than out

TrapGame
08-16-2016, 08:11 AM

Agree 100%.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 08:14 AM
Holloway vs bama...

3 rec 31 yds
7 rushes 34 yds

Vs lsu...

2 rec. 13 yds
5 rush 37 yds

Vs om...

5 rec 24 yds
10 rush 55 yds

Totals...

10 rec 68 yds 6.8 avg
22 rush 126 yds 5.73 avg

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 08:15 AM

This actually pisses me off to hear. If HOlloway and Shump are the only guys that can pass block, a coach needs to be 17ing fired. I hope this is just bullshit the coaches are spewing. If Holloway and Shump are our primary backs this year, that would actually be bad enough that I'd be ready for Mullen to move on.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-16-2016, 08:22 AM

I just don't get why it seems like we've regressed at this position even though we have talent. The only thing I know of has changed is that we eliminated the FB position in the offense and our O-Line has been weak. At some point, it seems Knox should shoulder some of the blame, but then again he is on the offensive side of the ball and we know there are no changes to the circle of trust.

BB30
08-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Not many teams run on Bama and LSU. Fournett had like 35 yds on 20 carries vs Bama. I agree we need to be better running the football and I would much prefer your typical "SEC" back. I know, I know got to keep that Alabama D honest. When they are stopping the run with their front 4 you are not going to get anywhere. The teams that have given them trouble including us in 14 generally have gashed them with pass/run options and reads. Until our OL unit improves I don't think you will see much improvement in the backfield. Regardless I agree and wish the most talented runner would get a good majority of the snaps. Also interestingly, if you look back to last year alot of Holloway's big plays on the ground actually came between the hashes. He is not fast enough to beat you outside he is just shifty and quick.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-16-2016, 08:26 AM

I agree that I don't think our QB's are just average and yes Staley runs like a deer, albeit a three legged one. He needs to find a pass happy offense and showcase his arm.

louisvilledawg
08-16-2016, 08:30 AM
I think I tried to defend Shump at the beginning of last year. I won't do it again... Unless he's turned into Derrick Henry I really don't want to see him as an Rb.

Dude runs like a refrigerator with a head and no vision or hands. Not defending him ever.

maroonmania
08-16-2016, 08:40 AM

H) Green is a monster

Coaches should be EMBARRASSED to use J) as an excuse for why guys that are in their THIRD year in the program can't get on the field because they haven't LEARNED to pass block. Coaches, get off your asses and TEACH them. Heck, I could teach someone to pass block in 3 years. Now if they don't want to pass block that is one thing but don't come here with a rumor about "learning" to pass block.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 08:47 AM
Coaches should be EMBARRASSED to use J) as an excuse for why guys that are in their THIRD year in the program can't get on the field because they haven't LEARNED to pass block. Coaches, get off your asses and TEACH them. Heck, I could teach someone to pass block in 3 years. Now if they don't want to pass block that is one thing but don't come here with a rumor about "learning" to pass block.

Of course it's a bullshit excuse for people bitching in the stands about why so and so isn't playing.

Part of the we threw the ball so much was because we didn't use Aeris or Lee last year as our between the tackles running back. It's sad because those guys could have at least been decent doing so last year and it would have made us better.

Prentis
08-16-2016, 08:50 AM
The way our running back system is being ran. Kylin Hill will not get any meaningful carries until his red-shirt junior year. This system is flawed. Like Cadaver said earlier it's freshman running backs playing all over the country. It takes us 2 years to "develop" a back which in my opinion is pitiful.

Beaver
08-16-2016, 09:03 AM
One thing I will say about Shump.. In the bowl game He ran like we all thought he could coming in. Like a Mack truck.

He had 5 carries... 2 of them went for less than a yard. So he had 3 decent runs the whole game against a terrible defense.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2016, 09:24 AM
You guys need to realize that we have 6 RB's on scholarship and none are the total package. None. The best looking RB in practice last year was Shumpert. I'm sorry, he just was.

Holloway made a lot of plays for us last year. He needs his 8 touches per game. The next most talented RB is either Aeris or Gibson. Those guys should be the 2 ball carriers.

The best all around QB is Tiano, but Mullen probably won't start the Freshman. Damien is the best passer. Nick is the best runner.

HSVDawg
08-16-2016, 10:05 AM

Until our OL gets better, it doesn't matter who we line up at RB against Bama / LSU / OM. Leonard Fournette himself couldn't push a pile against any of those teams with our OL. Holloway got the touches he did last year because he was able to find holes quickly when they were available and not dance around. With a bad OL, really the only thing you can do to halfway mask that weakness is to have speed in the backfield that can get outside. Thats what Holloway offered us last season. Can Holloway pick up the 3rd and 3's against the elite front 7's in our league? Hell no, but neither can anyone else until we improve up front.

Really Clark?
08-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Aeris - 5.15ypc
Holloway - 4.47ypc
Shump - 3.86ypc
Lee - 6.22ypc

He is not a RB. He is an APB and in that role he was used very well last year.

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 10:11 AM
You guys need to realize that we have 6 RB's on scholarship and none are the total package. None. The best looking RB in practice last year was Shumpert. I'm sorry, he just was.

Then there should be a coach on the hotseat. They should know how to recognize SEC talent and if Shumpert looked like our best option, we should have been hitting JUCO hard looking for an option at RB. If we, for the second year in a row, don't have a decent option for an everydown back, a head needs to roll or there needs to be a good explanation why we can't get a decent option at what traditionally has been by far the easiest position for us to recruit.

blacklistedbully
08-16-2016, 11:09 AM

This is exactly the part of Mullen that is so frustrating...and leads some to want him gone at times.

He is fantastic in many areas which has brought our program to new highs, and a consistency we haven't seen since Allyn McKeen. But his stubborness in this area, along with questionable game management appears to be the thing that has prevented us from taking the next step.

I still get pissed when I recall TR with LaDarius Perkins, and Dan running LP up the gut for no gain play-after-play-after-play. I still get mad when I remember how he kept trotting Devon Bell out there for missed field goal-after-missed field goal, etc,....long after everybody knew Bell was a head-case and shell-shocked. Personnel decisions have often been brutal.

I keep hoping it's just part of the learning curve for a guy getting his first shot at HC, and that he will continue to improve. If he does...he could become an elite HC, IMO.

tcdog70
08-16-2016, 11:54 AM
2015 Team StatisticsTotal
Total Statistics
NAME TYDS YDS/G PASS PYDS/G RUSH YDS/G TP TP/G
1. Ole Miss 6731 517.77 4351 334.69 2380 183.08 531 40.85
2. Alabama 6406 427.07 3407 227.13 2999 199.93 526 35.07
3. Arkansas 6051 465.46 3486 268.15 2565 197.31 467 35.92
4. Miss St 5986 460.46 4113 316.38 1873 144.08 447 34.38
5. Texas A&M 5521 424.69 3323 255.62 2198 169.08 361 27.77
6. Tennessee 5490 422.31 2582 198.62 2908 223.69 457 35.15
7. LSU 5247 437.25 2165 180.42 3082 256.83 394 32.83
8. Georgia 4904 377.23 2406 185.08 2498 192.15 342 26.31
9. Auburn 4810 370.00 2257 173.62 2553 196.38 357 27.46
10. Florida 4676 334.00 2899 207.07 1777 126.93 325 23.21
11. Kentucky 4464 372.00 2512 209.33 1952 162.67 296 24.67
12. South Carolina 4346 362.17 2490 207.50 1856 154.67 263 21.92
13. Vanderbilt 3918 326.50 2062 171.83 1856 154.67 182 15.17
14. Missouri 3361 280.08

we were the 4th best offensive team in the SEC last year. We did this with an average at best OL. In 2014 were were the #1 best offense in the SEC with About 514 yards a game. So , I will sit back and watch Dan put an Offense on the field that will be good. I will trust Him to play the right QB and RB. Some just want to bash Mullen. Damn he has shown us He can Coach Offense. let's see what we look like the first 2 weeks and then Start all this bullshit mully grubbing.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Holloway made a lot of plays for us last year. He needs his 8 touches per game. The next most talented RB is either Aeris or Gibson. Those guys should be the 2 ball carriers.

The best all around QB is Tiano, but Mullen probably won't start the Freshman. Damien is the best passer. Nick is the best runner.

Which is why we should have a two back system with Aeris and Lee and use Holloway situationally. Which would work and be the most effective.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Total Statistics
14. Missouri 3361 280.08

we were the 4th best offensive team in the SEC last year. We did this with an average at best OL. In 2014 were were the #1 best offense in the SEC with About 514 yards a game. So , I will sit back and watch Dan put an Offense on the field that will be good. I will trust Him to play the right QB and RB. Some just want to bash Mullen. Damn he has shown us He can Coach Offense. let's see what we look like the first 2 weeks and then Start all this bullshit mully grubbing.

We also had Chris Brown of Smartfootball.com tweeting about how he thought MSU underutilized Dak.

Just because our stats were "good" doesn't mean that they're optomized.

Joe Schmedlap
08-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Absolutely correct, never seen a back reach this level with so poor fundamentals running the football. Now I do give shump props for his effort and playing hard and the dude is a good blocker. He just ain't a feature back. And the tire drill stuff is hilarious!

He's an awful tailback and mediocre pass blocker.

Joe Schmedlap
08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Maybe so, but we were a bad 2-pt conversion pass to shump away from beating lsu last year. We had the right guy (shump) on the right play, but again, a bad pass...

It was a bad pass, yet I bet it would have been caught by a different back.

HoopsDawg
08-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Which is why we should have a two back system with Aeris and Lee and use Holloway situationally. Which would work and be the most effective.

Substitute Lee with Gibson and I agree with you.

basedog
08-16-2016, 01:21 PM
It's practice, not even a game and yet, why the moaning and bitching so early? Dang.

Players can improve from last year so let's wait and see, I bet we see some improvements from some of the players that are being criticized.

YazooDawg23
08-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Over/Under on how many back-breaking plays Shump has to demoralize our team this year? He just loses. Not his fault Mullen keeps trotting him out there.

thf24
08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

That's what I'd like to see. Is Lee even still on the team? I don't recall hearing a thing about him all offseason, which, considering all the talk about off-the-field issues last year, suggests his ship may have sailed.

Liverpooldawg
08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Total Statistics
14. Missouri 3361 280.08

THIS! Don't try to confuse them with facts. The last two years our problem has been on the defensive side of the ball. Moves were made to try and fix that. One of the very few gripes I have ever had with Mullen was rehiring Diaz.

Big4Dawg
08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
For those of you expecting anyone other than Holloway to lead the team in carries, you are going to be disappointed. Remember Perkins?

Pollodawg
08-16-2016, 01:46 PM

Actually the problem with Staley was that he doesn't run like a deer. He's way, way closer to Tyler Russell than he is Cam Newton. He's more athletic than TR, but not much. Staley is a drop back passer all day long.

tcdog70
08-16-2016, 02:07 PM
We also had Chris Brown of Smartfootball.com tweeting about how he thought MSU underutilized Dak.

so what you are saying that being #1 in the SEC is "GOOD"-no shit Sherlock. Any time MSU can be in the top five in the SEC is AWESOME. Optimized there is a word you looked up in your Funk and Wagnalls. Besides that Dak was second in total offense last year behind an OL that is much maligned by you mullygrubbers. Quit with the bitching until you have something to bitch about. Do you just lie around dreaming up shit? **** Chris Brown and the horse he rode in on.

tcdog70
08-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Over/Under on how many back-breaking plays Shump has to demoralize our team this year? He just loses. Not his fault Mullen keeps trotting him out there.

are you even a MSU fan? Shump just might fool you, the Coaching staff must see something he is doing right.

starkvegasdawg
08-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Think about a diamond formation with those three in the backfield at the same time.

PMDawg
08-16-2016, 02:29 PM
This is exactly the part of Mullen that is so frustrating...and leads some to want him gone at times.

He is fantastic in many areas which has brought our program to new highs, and a consistency we haven't seen since Allyn McKeen. But his stubborness in this area, along with questionable game management appears to be the thing that has prevented us from taking the next step.

I still get pissed when I recall TR with LaDarius Perkins, and Dan running LP up the gut for no gain play-after-play-after-play. I still get mad when I remember how he kept trotting Devon Bell out there for missed field goal-after-missed field goal, etc,....long after everybody knew Bell was a head-case and shell-shocked. Personnel decisions have often been brutal.

I keep hoping it's just part of the learning curve for a guy getting his first shot at HC, and that he will continue to improve. If he does...he could become an elite HC, IMO.

8th year. EIGHTH. He is who he is at this point. I'm not really saying this to you, don't take it that way. Just kind of putting it out there, because I'm with you.

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
I still get pissed when I recall TR with LaDarius Perkins, and Dan running LP up the gut for no gain play-after-play-after-play.

This seems much more explicable after seeing Josh Robinson a little more.

He is still improving. The shake-up on the defensive staff shows that. For a lot of his "flaws", fixing them would require trade-offs that may or may not pay off. He could definitely make talent a bigger factor in PT decisions, but that would likely have a negative impact on discipline. The one criticism that I think is completely valid is that OL recruiting has put a low ceiling on many of his teams at MSU and he hasn't seemed to be willing to do anything about that.

Also, I guess it depends on your definition, but Mullen is pretty much an elite head coach. How many coaches would you trade him for and be confident we'd do better? Saban is one. After that...Jim harbough? Chip Kelly (although sanctions and did Oregon have that much more success?) Pete Carroll (although sanctions) Stoops? Maybe he's not elite depending on your definition, but certainly seems like he's at the tier immediately below elite.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Hater gone hate! Man, I can't wait for football to start so that we will actually have something to talk about.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 04:37 PM

I like Gibson. It's hard to overlook Lee's YPA though. I understand why he doesn't play and I hope he gets his act together.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 04:38 PM
so what you are saying that being #1 in the SEC is "GOOD"-no shit Sherlock. Any time MSU can be in the top five in the SEC is AWESOME. Optimized there is a word you looked up in your Funk and Wagnalls. Besides that Dak was second in total offense last year behind an OL that is much maligned by you mullygrubbers. Quit with the bitching until you have something to bitch about. Do you just lie around dreaming up shit? **** Chris Brown and the horse he rode in on.

I'm saying it could have been even better. And just think how good it's going to be without Dak who was not only our best passer but essentially our best running back.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 04:39 PM
Think about a diamond formation with those three in the backfield at the same time.

I like how you think. And I would love to see some diamond formation stuff next year.

Dallas_Dawg
08-16-2016, 04:52 PM
I like how you think. And I would love to see some diamond formation stuff next year.

Really? The diamond again?
Think about our O-Line and how defenses would attack the diamond.
We run a spread offense

blacklistedbully
08-16-2016, 04:54 PM
8th year. EIGHTH. He is who he is at this point. I'm not really saying this to you, don't take it that way. Just kind of putting it out there, because I'm with you.

Sorry I come across as a little thin-skinned at times. Never would have taken issue with your post anyway. As Johnson85 said, there is evidence he is making some changes.

I also suspect, after last year, he figures he will probably be around longer than he thought, so may be more motivated to get it done here. I've posted before a source I have told me he was looking at Maryland, in part because he was frustrated with OM cheating. Now that they are about to get busted, perhaps he's not looking for the exit anymore.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Sorry I come across as a little thin-skinned at times. Never would have taken issue with your post anyway. As Johnson85 said, there is evidence he is making some changes.

I also suspect, after last year, he figures he will probably be around longer than he thought, so may be more motivated to get it done here. I've posted before a source I have told me he was looking at Maryland, in part because he was frustrated with OM cheating. Now that they are about to get busted, perhaps he's not looking for the exit anymore.

I also heard the same thing from a well connected booster, that Dan was fed up with the unm cheating and the playing field not being level in that regard. Things changed though when it got real with the NCAA and unm and he's been re energized. We shall see.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Really? The diamond again?
Think about our O-Line and how defenses would attack the diamond.
We run a spread offense

Hahahahaha! Todd is frustrated by Mullen's stubbornness with the OL and you are frustrated at his diamond formation and he isn't even a coach. Hilarious!

Todd you should go and volunteer to coach a pee wee football team and run the diamond.***

Turfdawg67
08-16-2016, 06:20 PM

What?!? I'm a fan of most of your posts, but c'mon... you forget the ***?? I could have caught that pass. Not perfect, but geez.

msstate7
08-16-2016, 06:25 PM
What?!? I'm a fan of most of your posts, but c'mon... you forget the ***?? I could have caught that pass. Not perfect, but geez.

Well I didn't have a great angle at the game, but it looked to be a really poor pass. I hope you can forgive me since you're probably the only fan of my posts haha

lamont
08-16-2016, 06:44 PM
It was a poor pass and a very difficult catch for Shump. That was on Dakota

Bothrops
08-16-2016, 06:46 PM
This whole thing about not playing more talented Rb's because of pass blocking issues after two years... yeah.. I'm not buying that shit anymore.

So what's the main issue? Attitude, approach to studies, somebody wears a dirty sanchez to practice? Can anybody she'd some real light here..?

blacklistedbully
08-16-2016, 06:53 PM

It was a poor pass, but not an uncatchable one. It hit him in the hands, but he did have to reach back awkwardly for it. A playmaker probably makes the catch.

Bothrops
08-16-2016, 07:01 PM
It was a poor pass, but not an uncatchable one. It hit him in the hands, but he did have to reach back awkwardly for it. A playmaker probably makes the catch.

Talking about the LSU game? Where Shump let the ball roll off his chest in the endzonr?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Exactly. Could it have been caught? Possibly. Was it a bad pass? Absolutely.

It's ok to say Dak made a mistake he's great but it was a poor pass & he'd tell you the same.

lamont
08-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Exactly. Could it have been caught? Possibly. Was it a bad pass? Absolutely.

It's ok to say Dak made a mistake he's great but it was a poor pass & he'd tell you the same.

Exactly. We can blame 32 for alot of shit- that isnt one. 15 was to blame there.

Hell, 15 is the one that missed Walley wide open in the seam for a TD to jam the ball into Wilson for a 9 yard gain. If 15 reads the coverage- Walley walks in and there is no FG attempt vs LSU. Prescott was great- but he wasnt perfect.

Turfdawg67
08-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Holy cow, no one is saying who's to blame for the loss of the game but Shump should've had it. Yeah the pass could've been perfect, but it hit his hands, chest, hands again and then the ground. I'm a Shump apologist, but that's obvious!

Ifyouonlyknew
08-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Holy cow, no one is saying who's to blame for the loss of the game but Shump should've had it. Yeah the pass could've been perfect, but it hit his hands, chest, hands again and then the ground. I'm a Shump apologist, but that's obvious!

That's just it. The pass didn't have to be perfect if it would've just been ok he catches it. They ran a perfect play & the whole part of the end zone is open. He could've lobbed it to him. He decided to throw it on a line & then throws it behind him. Again it wasn't an impossible catch but if Dak puts the pass anywhere but where he did it's an easy pitch & catch.

maroonmania
08-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Shumpert has no vision at all. I re watched all of our games and time and time again shumpert missed the hole. One play against auburn really stands out. The right side of our ol collapsed the auburn DL, bear had the corner sealed and shump had 15 yards before he would've been touched. Instead he cuts back left runs into dak and gets tackled for an 8 yard loss. Our ol weren't world beaters but shump made them look much worse when he ran the ball. He missed the hole 80% of the time.

Yea, I joked that if Shumpert was trying to run through the St. Louis arch he would somehow manage to hit one of the columns.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 07:52 PM
Yea, I joked that if Shumpert was trying to run through the St. Louis arch he would somehow manage to hit one of the columns.

That made me laugh! I appreciate all our players and the effort they put out for State and shump plays hard, vision is just not one of his strong points. I just saw to many times last year where he just completely missed a hole.

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 08:57 PM
To those saying "we were ranked _____ in the SEC! Offense isn't the problem!"....I say to you, then you and I have different goals for MSU football. I don't give a rats ass if we are #1 offensively in the country, you should ALWAYS try to maximize your offense. You don't just say, "Yea, we could gain 80+ more yards per game and 5+ more points per game if we would go ahead and move Aeris to starter....but F it, we'll be top 5 offensively even wasting 8 plays a game, so let's just do that instead." That's ignorance.

You aren't always going to have an equal offense and defense. But guess what, if you have an above average offense and maximize its' potential...you may not have to be equally good defensively to still win most of your games. The problem is, we don't maximize our offense, so in order to beat good teams we have to rely on our weaker units to play over their head bc we're giving away potential points and yards offensively by trotting guys like Shumpert out there. It's stupid. Period. This isn't intramurals, brother...this is the SEC. You don't reward the less talented hard worker with starting RB game reps in this league. You put your most talented RB in at starting RB, and if he doesn't know the play book or pass blocking....You. Teach. His. Ass. So. He. DOES. You're the coach....so COACH

That's my opinion.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it in this one. Mullen is coaching for the long haul. It seems to me that he puts a high value on the maintaining the culture of the locker room.

Yes you can play talented rookies who don't go to class. Yes you can pay $180k to get a guy to sign on the dotted line. But when you do know that it is only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down. It always does. It did for Sherrill. It will for Freeze.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 09:18 PM
If you haven't figured it out yet as much as Mullen loves football (and he does) he know that there are bigger things than football. He has put some guys in the league and they are now multimillionaires...but most of the guys that sign with State will never get anywhere close to that. So Mullen takes very seriously the promises he makes to these kids' mothers when they entrust him with their sons and he looks them in the eye and says he will try to make him into a better man.

We should be proud of that. We should not be win at all cost.

Yes, change OL coaches if necessary. Yes, play talented guys. But I do not blame Mullen for sticking to his standards for this program. In the end it actually does translate to consistency and wins on the field like we have never seen before.

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
If you haven't figured it out yet as much as Mullen loves football (and he does) he know that there are bigger things than football. He has put some guys in the league and they are now multimillionaires...but most of the guys that sign with State will never get anywhere close to that. So Mullen takes very seriously the promises he makes to these kids' mothers when they entrust him with their sons and he looks them in the eye and says he will try to make him into a better man.

We should be proud of that. We should not be win at all cost.

Yes, change OL coaches if necessary. Yes, play talented guys. But I do not blame Mullen for sticking to his standards for this program. In the end it actually does translate to consistency and wins on the field like we have never seen before.

Nobody is saying we should lower our standards. For instance, all indications are that Aeris Williams & Nick Gibson are both good character guys and hard workers....but that they haven't moved ahead of Shumpert & Holloway due to experience, playbook, & pass blocking. That is pure garbage if true. If a 2-3 year guy is a good character guy, hard worker, and more talented than the guy that's a JR or SR, he should start. And if he doesn't know plays &/or blocking schemes, his position coach should be fired for not preparing our best guys to play.

That isn't wanting anybody to lower our standards...that's just wanting our coaches to do what they are paid to do. Coach players up, put the best 11 on the field, and win games. I can promise you our RB responsibilities are no tougher than a majority of programs in the country....so we either coincidentally recruit the dumbest RB's in America every year, or there's a coaching problem as to why these guys aren't ready to play by year 2 and 3. This isn't the pros, we only get these guys for 3-4 years. It can't take 2-3 to get a guy ready to play for a middle of the pack SEC team. We aren't running the damn wishbone with a mix of fun and gun. It shouldn't be brain surgery to play RB at MSU.

Percho
08-16-2016, 09:51 PM
To those saying "we were ranked _____ in the SEC! Offense isn't the problem!"....I say to you, then you and I have different goals for MSU football. I don't give a rats ass if we are #1 offensively in the country, you should ALWAYS try to maximize your offense. You don't just say, "Yea, we could gain 80+ more yards per game and 5+ more points per game if we would go ahead and move Aeris to starter....but F it, we'll be top 5 offensively even wasting 8 plays a game, so let's just do that instead." That's ignorance.

You aren't always going to have an equal offense and defense. But guess what, if you have an above average offense and maximize its' potential...you may not have to be equally good defensively to still win most of your games. The problem is, we don't maximize our offense, so in order to beat good teams we have to rely on our weaker units to play over their head bc we're giving away potential points and yards offensively by trotting guys like Shumpert out there. It's stupid. Period. This isn't intramurals, brother...this is the SEC. You don't reward the less talented hard worker with starting RB game reps in this league. You put your most talented RB in at starting RB, and if he doesn't know the play book or pass blocking....You. Teach. His. Ass. So. He. DOES. You're the coach....so COACH

That's my opinion.

This concept?

Col. Jessep: Maybe I'm just spitballing here, maybe we have a responsibility as officers to train Santiago, maybe we as officers have a responsibility to this county to see that the men and women charged with its security are trained professionals. I'm certain I've read that somewhere once, and now I'm thinking your suggestion of "transferring Santiago" while expeditious and painless might not be in the manner of speaking, the "American way". Santiago stays where he is, we're going to train the lad,

I say Code Red, them all!

basedog
08-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Nobody is saying we should lower our standards. For instance, all indications are that Aeris Williams & Nick Gibson are both good character guys and hard workers....but that they haven't moved ahead of Shumpert & Holloway due to experience, playbook, & pass blocking. That is pure garbage if true. If a 2-3 year guy is a good character guy, hard worker, and more talented than the guy that's a JR or SR, he should start. And if he doesn't know plays &/or blocking schemes, his position coach should be fired for not preparing our best guys to play.

That isn't wanting anybody to lower our standards...that's just wanting our coaches to do what they are paid to do. Coach players up, put the best 11 on the field, and win games. I can promise you our RB responsibilities are no tougher than a majority of programs in the country....so we either coincidentally recruit the dumbest RB's in America every year, or there's a coaching problem as to why these guys aren't ready to play by year 2 and 3. This isn't the pros, we only get these guys for 3-4 years. It can't take 2-3 to get a guy ready to play for a middle of the pack SEC team. We aren't running the damn wishbone with a mix of fun and gun. It shouldn't be brain surgery to play RB at MSU.

Dang Clint! Mullen has done more than coached up players. You seem to forget how far we have come, we don't play in Conference USA! Yes he has made mistakes but he has done more for less than any coach in the Sec!

I hope he keeps building, which he has!

tcdog70
08-16-2016, 10:04 PM

That's my opinion.

Right, your opinion. But your opinion doesn't mean shit to our Coaching Staff. What does matter is watching our players every day in practice. Dan thinks Shump deserves to play, He is the head coach of a top 5 offense Two years in a row. What's your claim to fame, a moderator on ED. If you actually look at Hollaways Stats , he is just as good as anyone. Hell you can nit pick any offense in the History of football and say it wasn't fully optimized. I scratch my head sometimes at what Dan does but looking at the Big Picture, I am satisfied.

lamont
08-16-2016, 10:04 PM
"It takes 3 weeks to get a good RB ready to play college football"- Kyle Whittingham

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 10:17 PM
Right, your opinion. But your opinion doesn't mean shit to our Coaching Staff. What does matter is watching our players every day in practice. Dan thinks Shump deserves to play, He is the head coach of a top 5 offense Two years in a row. What's your claim to fame, a moderator on ED. If you actually look at Hollaways Stats , he is just as good as anyone. Hell you can nit pick any offense in the History of football and say it wasn't fully optimized. I scratch my head sometimes at what Dan does but looking at the Big Picture, I am satisfied.

It's a message board, I'm discussing the team. Never said I know more than Dan, so that's a silly thing to even bring up. That being said...Dan has been wrong about Shumpert for 3 years now, yet he's going to be trotted back out there again it appears. So just because someone isn't calling Dan a football God on a message board, doesn't mean he thinks he's a bad coach or that I could do better. It's just critiquing & discussing one aspect of his coaching that appears to be a poor pattern.

I continually get amazed at how we constantly have to have conversations about whether other posters are being too optimistic, pessimistic, or whatever. I joined into a discussion, gave my opinion, called it my opinion, and left it at that. Never said my opinion amounted to a hill of beans, bc it doesn't. So I'm not sure why you said that about my "claim to fame" or anything else. I'm just discussing the topic.

CadaverDawg
08-16-2016, 10:18 PM
"It takes 3 weeks to get a good RB ready to play college football"- Kyle Whittingham

Interesting. You sure he didn't mean 3 years?*

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Sheesh Bro.... It's a message board.

You and the guy that thinks any bit of slight negativity on Elitedawgs affects recruiting need to go take paranoid pills & hang out in a bathroom stall

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-16-2016, 10:47 PM
I am thinking people are under rating the rbs a little due to how bad the ol was last season. If the o line is decent some guys will break out and have decent seasons.

Percho
08-16-2016, 11:01 PM
I want to see the center downfield stepping on somebody******

preachermatt83
08-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Get a grip man. Geez.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Thank you! Well said. I have zero problems with high character guys. But we're wasting guys that could impact us and help us right now in Dear, Aeris, Lee, Gibson and probably Couch if the rumors about him playing well are true because they aren't juniors or seniors. If you are Mississippi State you can't afford to do that and succeed.

And it pisses me off to hear that Rankin could have helped us last year but we redshirted him so we could start Warren. I'm not buying the "he wasn't ready in September but then the switch went off in November" crap. Had we played him early in the year against USM, Northwestern State, and Troy he probably would have learned sooner and been ready for the stretch run.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 11:30 PM

If you look at Holloway's stats from last year he also had 0 rushing TD's. Aeris had 4. I don't have a problem with Shumpert playing at FB/H-Back.

Really Clark?
08-17-2016, 12:42 AM
If you look at Holloway's stats from last year he also had 0 rushing TD's. Aeris had 4. I don't have a problem with Shumpert playing at FB/H-Back.

Aeris had 3 rushing TD. Holloway had 5 rec TD from the backfield mostly, if I recall correctly. Holloway is an APB running back and averaged over 100 all purpose yards per game. No he is not the RB to get red zone TD rushing. What we have to replace is Dak's 10 rushing TD's either from the QB position again or a combination of QB/RB.

msstate7
08-17-2016, 06:08 AM

Who do you pull off the field to go with a fullback? If we pull a wr, I think I'd rather see 2 TEs than a fullback

Political Hack
08-17-2016, 09:18 AM
I want to see the center downfield stepping on somebody******

Thread winner.

Just want to point out that we have a lot of upperclassmen on the roster that don't start over young guys. If it's close it goes to the upperclassmen. If it's not, the guy that's more ready will play the majority of the snaps. Oh, and starter vs snaps played is two very different things.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Interesting. You sure he didn't mean 3 years?*

The problem is that a good RB and a good RB in the SEC are two different things.

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Aeris had 3 rushing TD. Holloway had 5 rec TD from the backfield mostly, if I recall correctly. Holloway is an APB running back and averaged over 100 all purpose yards per game. No he is not the RB to get red zone TD rushing. What we have to replace is Dak's 10 rushing TD's either from the QB position again or a combination of QB/RB.

My bad on the numbers but my point remains that our starting running back that Dan thinks is a great blocker had zero rushing touchdowns and Aeris had more in limited action. Aeris at the very least is ready and could be a 1k rusher for us at worst and probably would have last year as well had he been afforded the opportunity. Lee and Gibson are both ready as well.

starkvegasdawg
08-17-2016, 09:46 AM

http://www.snickers.com/Resources/images/nutrition/products/large/1_Snickers.jpg

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Who do you pull off the field to go with a fullback? If we pull a wr, I think I'd rather see 2 TEs than a fullback

Whomever. I want to see multiple personnel formations. That is the best way to maximize talent. We could use the fullback 20% of the time just off the top of my head.

Dear, Ross, Gray, Myles, Couch or whatever 6'5" WR is ready, Holloway, Aeris, Shumpert, and Lee/Gibson should be the guys getting the Lion's share of the touches. Add in Thomas and Justin Johnson at TE as well in that group since I almost forgot about them.

Really Clark?
08-17-2016, 10:50 AM
My bad on the numbers but my point remains that our starting running back that Dan thinks is a great blocker had zero rushing touchdowns and Aeris had more in limited action. Aeris at the very least is ready and could be a 1k rusher for us at worst and probably would have last year as well had he been afforded the opportunity. Lee and Gibson are both ready as well.

I understand but my point is you are comparing numbers for two totally different players. As an APB scat back type, Holloway wouldn't be getting many touches inside the red zone which severely limit his TD numbers. Those touches will go to a more traditional power back. Or QB in our offense.

tcdog70
08-17-2016, 11:04 AM
It's a message board, I'm discussing the team. Never said I know more than Dan, so that's a silly thing to even bring up. That being said...Dan has been wrong about Shumpert for 3 years now, yet he's going to be trotted back out there again it appears. So just because someone isn't calling Dan a football God on a message board, doesn't mean he thinks he's a bad coach or that I could do better. It's just critiquing & discussing one aspect of his coaching that appears to be a poor pattern.

I continually get amazed at how we constantly have to have conversations about whether other posters are being too optimistic, pessimistic, or whatever. I joined into a discussion, gave my opinion, called it my opinion, and left it at that. Never said my opinion amounted to a hill of beans, bc it doesn't. So I'm not sure why you said that about my "claim to fame" or anything else. I'm just discussing the topic.

YOU BE RIGHT-GOT A LITTLE WORKED UP. BUT SHUMP HASN'T PLAYED A DOWN YET. HOW CAN YOU NOT GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT BEING RANKED #1 OFFENSE IN THE SEC. I SURE HOPE WE CAN CONTINUE TO BE TOP 5 IN THE SEC.

tcdog70
08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Sheesh Bro.... It's a message board.

You and the guy that thinks any bit of slight negativity on Elitedawgs affects recruiting need to go take paranoid pills & hang out in a bathroom stall

Coming from you? I am amused

tcdog70
08-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Get a grip man. Geez.

What did I say that is wrong? all the tangents you have been on in the past. But thanks for your input. waiting to see what you disagree with in my post. Geez. are you just mad I made a smartass comment to Cadaver?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Back to the fall camp discussion...saw it mentioned elsewhere that Jamal Peters wasn't at the scrimmage. Anyone know what's up?

tcdog70
08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

but is that RB ready to start?

tcdog70
08-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Agree, Holloway also averaged 105 yard total offense per game. I'll agree he is not an every down back but he is a very good player. i just hope that one of of other backs steps up and becomes our every down type back. If it is Aeris then great.

Barking 13
08-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Good Gracious, the next two weeks can't get here soon enough.... until I actually see the current product on the field, I will reserve criticism. What guys did last year has no actual relevance on what they do this year. There's been a whole off season to deal with issues... What if Shump has a breakout year? What if Holloway gets 1000 yds?.. we won't really know until it gets underway. I think this year we will see a retooled completely different look than we have seen the last few years.

Swami Dawg
08-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Good Gracious, the next two weeks can't get here soon enough.... until I actually see the current product on the field, I will reserve criticism. What guys did last year has no actual relevance on what they do this year. There's been a whole off season to deal with issues... What if Shump has a breakout year? What if Holloway gets 1000 yds?.. we won't really know until it gets underway. I think this year we will see a retooled completely different look than we have seen the last few years.

I am for to being in agreements. Ready for next two weeks to be going by. Until thens I am afraid of many posters having bad case of the sandy ******s.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d0/d033258607de74e8d8c976c11f4a5d1a92fd936abd7b80c84a 2ac04aae87dd07.jpg

Not being directions at any persons. But for to gentle reminder this of time of year is best time for to be Bulldog fan. Have fun and hopes of great season ahead.

Swami

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Back to the fall camp discussion...saw it mentioned elsewhere that Jamal Peters wasn't at the scrimmage. Anyone know what's up?

I heard he has a minor injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-17-2016, 12:00 PM

Concussion like symptoms. They didn't let him play because he hadn't passed all the test to be cleared.

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 12:37 PM
I understand but my point is you are comparing numbers for two totally different players. As an APB scat back type, Holloway wouldn't be getting many touches inside the red zone which severely limit his TD numbers. Those touches will go to a more traditional power back. Or QB in our offense.

Our offense works better with a between the tackles Vick Ballard type. Holloway absolutely should get touches but he should not be the primary back. That's why our offense looked like it did when Perkins and Holloway were the primary guys. That's my main point.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-17-2016, 12:39 PM
I heard he has a minor injury.

Concussion like symptoms. They didn't let him play because he hadn't passed all the test to be cleared.

Thanks...hopefully he'll get well soon. That's not something he needs to rush though.

Really Clark?
08-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Our offense works better with a between the tackles Vick Ballard type. Holloway absolutely should get touches but he should not be the primary back. That's why our offense looked like it did when Perkins and Holloway were the primary guys. That's my main point.

No where did I say Holloway was the feature back. He is an APB. DAK was the feature back. This offense is its best with the QB as your feature back. Dak lead the team in rushing the last 2 years and only 4 attempts short of leading the team in 2013. The best year was 2014 when you had a complementary back who could carry it a lot as well. But our second best offense under Mullen was last year. This system really needs a QB who is at least a threat to run the option. Even under Myer, most of his best offenses featured a QB that can run.

DudyDawg
08-17-2016, 02:45 PM
I think it's going to be a frustrating year to say the least. We don't know any of our backfield.

Tripp McNeely
08-17-2016, 03:19 PM
I think it's going to be a frustrating year to say the least. We don't know any of our backfield.

Wut??

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 03:41 PM
No where did I say Holloway was the feature back. He is an APB. DAK was the feature back. This offense is its best with the QB as your feature back. Dak lead the team in rushing the last 2 years and only 4 attempts short of leading the team in 2013. The best year was 2014 when you had a complementary back who could carry it a lot as well. But our second best offense under Mullen was last year. This system really needs a QB who is at least a threat to run the option. Even under Myer, most of his best offenses featured a QB that can run.

I know you didn't say that but I am afraid Dan will use him as the primary back like last year.

I think Dan's offense works best with a dual threat QB and a running back that can run between the tackles and get yards. Robinson is probably the best template of what we want in a running back from a skill set standpoint.

DudyDawg
08-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Wut??

This entire thread is arguing about running backs and we don't have a named starter at qb, do we?

Tripp McNeely
08-17-2016, 05:20 PM
This entire thread is arguing about running backs and we don't have a named starter at qb, do we?

You think the coaches are speculating this as well?? Really??? You can't think that. This is all by design. I would bet my mortgage that Mullen has laid out how series are split at QB for South Alabama, and how reps are going to be allocated for the first 4 games of the year...but he would NEVER let that get out!! You want kids preparing right now like they're all gonna start

Reason2succeed
08-17-2016, 07:42 PM
You think the coaches are speculating this as well?? Really??? You can't think that. This is all by design. I would bet my mortgage that Mullen has laid out how series are split at QB for South Alabama, and how reps are going to be allocated for the first 4 games of the year...but he would NEVER let that get out!! You want kids preparing right now like they're all gonna start

I think that the S. Alabama game will be a part of the evaluation for guys who are neck and neck. South Carolina will narrow down even more and by LSU we will see who the real starters are going to be.

As a matter of fact, there are some starters like Fred Ross that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't play or play very little versus S. Alabama.

lamont
08-17-2016, 07:50 PM
As a matter of fact, there are some starters like Fred Ross that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't play or play very little versus S. Alabama.

I wont be surprised if the USA game is within 10 at half. We gonna need Ross

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 08:09 PM
I think that the S. Alabama game will be a part of the evaluation for guys who are neck and neck. South Carolina will narrow down even more and by LSU we will see who the real starters are going to be.

We say this EVERY year and it NEVER happens. Dan has shown us in the past that whomever starts game one is who will start the rest of the year barring injuries. "Oh don't worry about those players- we won't see Zach Jackson out there by game three."

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 08:10 PM

I agree. They are a solid program even though they are new. We'll still win but as you said we're going to have to use our main guys probably into the fourth quarter.

Goldendawg
08-17-2016, 08:17 PM
An earlier thread stated that USA has its entire starting DL out for the year. If we can't dominate them and run the ball, we better go back to the drawing board ASAP.

lamont
08-17-2016, 08:28 PM
An earlier thread stated that USA has its entire starting DL out for the year. If we can't dominate them and run the ball, we better go back to the drawing board ASAP.

They will give us trouble for a half. They have more players and our QB's are green. You guys need to understand that we are not going to be near as good as we have been the last 2 years. We couldnt run on Troy or La Tech last year

Commercecomet24
08-17-2016, 08:30 PM
The South Alabama game will be a blowout. Their starting DL are all out with injuries. We should be able to name the score. If we don't it's gonna be a long year.

lamont
08-17-2016, 08:36 PM
We'll pull away in the 2nd when they are worn down

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2016, 09:20 PM

I'll take MSU -10 1/2 first half spread for as much as anyone will take.

Really Clark?
08-17-2016, 09:22 PM
They will give us trouble for a half. They have more players and our QB's are green. You guys need to understand that we are not going to be near as good as we have been the last 2 years. We couldnt run on Troy or La Tech last year

LA Tech's rushing defense was ranked 13th in the country last year. The following week we ran for over 200 yards against Kentucky. Dak didn't play but one or two series against Troy. Not saying out running game wasn't below par last year, but let's put the games in perspective. Those 2 games plus the Kentucky game were all 20+ point wins.

ETA. So Alabama lost to NCST last year 63-13 and gave up 330 yards rushing (over 250 yards rushing 5 different games last year) and over 250 yards passing.

Goldendawg
08-17-2016, 09:22 PM
So Mullen and our coaching staff are about to turn into the Charlie Shira years without Dak? Yes, Dak may be the greatest MSU offensive player I'll ever see, (my late Father said that Jackie Parker was the best he ever saw), but surely our 2016 cupboard is not this bare. "Shirley", I won't have to wait decades for another good team.

mic
08-17-2016, 09:24 PM

Agree.. And the filanl will be as bad as we want it to be...
Defense and special teams score once each..

Reason2succeed
08-17-2016, 09:42 PM
At not so "Random" Poster and Todd4Hate***

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/57937521.jpg

(Don't go all ballistic. I'm just kinding with you guy.)

lamont
08-17-2016, 09:44 PM

It's actually 14 1/2 right now

Todd4State
08-17-2016, 10:45 PM
So Mullen and our coaching staff are about to turn into the Charlie Shira years without Dak? Yes, Dak may be the greatest MSU offensive player I'll ever see, (my late Father said that Jackie Parker was the best he ever saw), but surely our 2016 cupboard is not this bare. "Shirley", I won't have to wait decades for another good team.

We would be fine if we just use Aeris as the primary running back. I think that's the key. If we let him play and he can get 1000 yards and 10 rushing touchdown we'll be fine. If we find ways to involve Dear/Lee/Gibson even more we'll be that much more explosive and balanced. The biggest thing about Fitz is he is going to turn the ball over more than Dak- who very rarely turned it over so I'm not saying Fitz has a problem it's just who he is compared to. I don't think we can expect Fitz to be as effective a runner as Dak. I'm not saying that Fitz is bad, slow, or etc. Just that I don't expect him to be as productive as Dak running the ball.

I'm not expecting us to be fourth in the SEC this year. I'm expecting middle of the pack or lower half.

Goldendawg
08-17-2016, 10:51 PM
We do a lot of those things and we will have a good year. I see at least 7 wins. Hail State!

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Maybe...just maybe if some of y'all think you've figured out who C34's alter-ego is, you should consider not blasting it for all to see?

It's one thing to speculate or wonder what happened to him. It's another entirely to continually point to another poster and call attention to them.

At least that's my opinion. Why would any of us...knowing what those psychotic morons up north are capable of, wish to bring that down on Lee again?

I'm not saying RP or anyone else here is Coach...but unless Coach has asked some of his inner circle to do this to poke 'em in-the-eye, I'm suggesting we cool it on calling out posters on here as being Coach.

Am I overreacting, or is discretion the better part of valor?

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2016, 10:28 AM
It's actually 14 1/2 right now

yeah, I wouldn't touch 14 1/2. 10 1/2, Im all in. I can easily see a 17-3 game at the half.

I actually wish USA was a little better. I would like some type of challenge before we play South Carolina. I still think we beat SC by double digits, but I would like our team to be tested a little the first week, and we won't be. This may be Jones' worst team over the last three years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Maybe...just maybe if some of y'all think you've figured out who C34's alter-ego is, you should consider not blasting it for all to see?

It's one thing to speculate or wonder what happened to him. It's another entirely to continually point to another poster and call attention to them.

At least that's my opinion. Why would any of us...knowing what those psychotic morons up north are capable of, wish to bring that down on Lee again?

I'm not saying RP or anyone else here is Coach...but unless Coach has asked some of his inner circle to do this to poke 'em in-the-eye, I'm suggesting we cool it on calling out posters on here as being Coach.

LOL is this serious??

BrunswickDawg
08-18-2016, 10:42 AM
We would be fine if we just use Aeris as the primary running back. I think that's the key. If we let him play and he can get 1000 yards and 10 rushing touchdown we'll be fine. If we find ways to involve Dear/Lee/Gibson even more we'll be that much more explosive and balanced. The biggest thing about Fitz is he is going to turn the ball over more than Dak- who very rarely turned it over so I'm not saying Fitz has a problem it's just who he is compared to. I don't think we can expect Fitz to be as effective a runner as Dak. I'm not saying that Fitz is bad, slow, or etc. Just that I don't expect him to be as productive as Dak running the ball.

I'm not expecting us to be fourth in the SEC this year. I'm expecting middle of the pack or lower half.

I'd flip your thinking on Fitz - he will be an effective runner and wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the team in rushing. It's the performance in the passing game that could see the drop off. That's not to say he has a weak arm, or can't make throws, but he won't have consistency in decision making and the confidence in his receivers that Dak had the last 2 years. Think Dak 2013.

Johnson85
08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

The 2016 cupboard is not bare, but we have pretty big weaknesses at OL, CB, and RB, and also a green QB.

We have 3 marginal OL in Clayborne, Desper, and Senior. I think we have three more marginal OL with Calhoun, Jenkins, and Rankin. If they come out and immediately gel and avoid injuries, that's still just an ok OL, one that is still weak enough to all but guarantee losses against Bama and LSU, even if we end up good everywhere else.

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 01:30 PM

Looking at it again, it was all on Prescott. Even if Shump had held onto the pass, it would have been down inches from the goal. His butt and back hit the field before the ball crossed the goal-line.

1bigdawg
08-18-2016, 01:41 PM

I thought he had hijacked your sig.**

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 01:54 PM
The 2016 cupboard is not bare, but we have pretty big weaknesses at OL, CB, and RB, and also a green QB.

We have 3 marginal OL in Clayborne, Desper, and Senior. I think we have three more marginal OL with Calhoun, Jenkins, and Rankin. If they come out and immediately gel and avoid injuries, that's still just an ok OL, one that is still weak enough to all but guarantee losses against Bama and LSU, even if we end up good everywhere else.

I don't consider Clayborne, Jenkins or Rankin, "marginal". Maybe not Calhoun either.

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 01:59 PM
LOL is this serious??

Are you serious?? Do you not realize yet the lengths to which some of those nuts will go? If we keep pointing to a select few...or even one poster on here, do you not think it's going to grab the attention of one or more of those nuts, and that they will dedicate significant resources to try and figure it out, so they can then run to the school he's at and attempt to screw him over again?

After all, he did agree to stop the ED stuff as a condition of employment. A determined hacker could figure it out.

Jarius
08-18-2016, 02:00 PM

They just lost their entire starting dline to injury. If it is a game in the 2nd half we are in deep shit.

sandwolf
08-18-2016, 02:18 PM

Are you serious?? Do you not realize yet the lengths to which some of those nuts will go? If we keep pointing to a select few...or even one poster on here, do you not think it's going to grab the attention of one or more of those nuts, and that they will dedicate significant resources to try and figure it out, so they can then run to the school he's at and attempt to screw him over again?

After all, he did agree to stop the ED stuff as a condition of employment. A determined hacker could figure it out.

Dude, just stop. Random Poster pretty much announced his identity to the board HERE (http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?46427-I-d-like-to-thank-Political-Hack-and-I-Seen-it), so he doesn't appear to be too worried about it. And if he was worried about it, he could get it handled on his own.....he doesn't need you coming in here and playing board police on his behalf.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-18-2016, 02:19 PM

Yeah I'm serious...do you not realize that anyone with half a brain could figure out if he changed user names and started posting again? With all the rebel traffic, it'll be hard for him to not be exposed.

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Dude, just stop. Random Poster pretty much announced his identity to the board HERE (http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?46427-I-d-like-to-thank-Political-Hack-and-I-Seen-it), so he doesn't appear to be too worried about it. And if he was worried about it, he could get it handled on his own.....he doesn't need you coming in here and playing board police on his behalf.

A) There is at least plausible deniability in that other thread.
B) Do you really not conceive how spitting-into-the-wind more regularly increases the chances it will end up in your face eventually?
C) Who said I was trying to, "police" things. I gave my opinion...nothing more.

NCDawg
08-18-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't consider Clayborne, Jenkins or Rankin, "marginal". Maybe not Calhoun either.

I agree with Johnson85 that the OL is "marginal". At least the way most of them played last year was marginal-maybe they have improved this year. Sure hope they have.

thf24
08-18-2016, 02:42 PM
I agree with Johnson85 that the OL is "marginal". At least the way most of them played last year was marginal-maybe they have improved this year. Sure hope they have.

Based on strictly last year, I wouldn't argue with any except Rankin. He's a former 4 star recruit for whom the light bulb has supposedly come on, so why are we calling him "marginal" when he hasn't even played yet? Sure he's not a guaranteed star either, but it works both ways.

Johnson85
08-18-2016, 02:45 PM

The way Clayborne played last year I would say was marginal. I certainly didn't expect him to be marginal based on how he started his career, so maybe he'll jump this year. Jenkins was not even marginal last year, which is perfectly understandable considering he was a RS Fr. I think he'll be at least marginal this year, and maybe he will have made a jump to be good. Same with Calhoun. I don't know how you could consider Rankin anything other than marginal. Last year was his third year out of high school and he got redshirted when we are aboslutely shit at his position. Hopefully he will surprise us, but I don't think he's something you could count on.

JoseBrown
08-18-2016, 03:04 PM
but is that RB ready to Pass-Block?

FIFY

Percho
08-18-2016, 03:21 PM

You are saying I can give up on my 15 - 0 or whatever it takes, season through the NC?

DudyDawg
08-18-2016, 05:06 PM

Judging by last year, I'd say our offensive line will fall more into the Swiss cheese category unfortunately.

MarketingBully
08-18-2016, 07:55 PM
I think you guys fail to consider just how bad Warren at LT was and everyone on the line had to compensate from there. I think our OL will be an average SEC line and we will be pleasantly surprised from it. There is no more truer a phrase that you are only as good as your weakest link then on the OL.

DudyDawg
08-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I think you guys fail to consider just how bad Warren at LT was and everyone on the line had to compensate from there. I think our OL will be an average SEC line and we will be pleasantly surprised from it. There is no more truer a phrase that you are only as good as your weakest link then on the OL.

That's possible. He was incredibly bad

ShotgunDawg
08-18-2016, 08:30 PM

I love Warren & he will be a good coach, but even he admitted to Rosebowl the other day that Jenkins should have started over him at LT

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Jenkins wasn't even marginal last year, he was awful.

Rankin is an unknown.

I agree Clayborn is better than marginal.

HancockCountyDog
08-18-2016, 08:40 PM
I love Warren & he will be a good coach, but even he admitted to Rosebowl the other day that Jenkins should have started over him at LT

I've only done it once and I fast forward through our Diaz defense, but Jenkins was abused Everytime they put him out there against the Bears. Now maybe he has improved. But he couldn't block anyone from tsun.

Commercecomet24
08-18-2016, 08:41 PM
If we have had the best offenses in our history since Dan has been here, with bad ol play, then our ol play before Dan must've been the worst in the history of college football.

msstate7
08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
I've only done it once and I fast forward through our Diaz defense, but Jenkins was abused Everytime they put him out there against the Bears. Now maybe he has improved. But he couldn't block anyone from tsun.

I'm terrible at evaulating our oline play. Was Jenkins just missing assignments or just couldn't physically block om guys? I'd much rather you tell me it was mental than physical

Westdawg
08-18-2016, 09:10 PM
It was the issue that he was a rsFR lining up against a deep and talented DL that brought blitzing, slanting pressure at the edge all game last long. You cant bust on him too bad

blacklistedbully
08-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Jenkins wasn't even marginal last year, he was awful.

Rankin is an unknown.

I agree Clayborn is better than marginal.

My take on Jenkins is based on him showing, "flashes" as a newby, and factoring in his youth last year. I think he realizes a lot more of his potential this year. Clayborne is a kid who also looked really strong at times, but was young & inexperienced. He's a strong dude, and another I think is poised to take a big step forward.

Our O-linemen come in less ready...so need more time to develop. Until we fix the recruiting problem with Hev, this will mostly remain true, and be an obstacle to taking the next step with our program, namely contending for the SEC on a somewhat regular basis.

Commercecomet24
08-18-2016, 09:20 PM
It was the issue that he was a rsFR lining up against a deep and talented DL that brought blitzing, slanting pressure at the edge all game last long. You cant bust on him too bad

Agree on this. For a rs freshman Jenkins played pretty well all year. The team ran the ball a whole lot better when Calhoun and Jenkins were in together.

LilSebastian
08-19-2016, 08:23 AM

I think he meant that MSU didn't showcase how talented Dak was in the ways that NFL scouts typically look at -- here's his clarification (though there's a typo so its muddled) "Hard to explain; Dak balled at MSU, but almost optics of power runs his skil to NFLers." If you pair that with his first tweet "Super mature kid, I never thought Miss St totally showcased his skills. Bright future" it doesn't read as too much of an indictment of Dan.