PDA

View Full Version : Do AD's shop for coaches the way coaches shop for jobs?

PassInterference
08-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Its well known that Mullen has kept an eye out for other opportunities. Can't blame him. Anyone that has any kind of job ought to do the same. It makes good career sense.

I doubt Mullen tells Stricklin each offseason, "well, I've got my resume in at UGA, Miami, etc and I want to wait and see". But I guarantee you his agent does something to that effect. It always seems to slip out there, maybe the the coaches' agents, that certain coaches are talking to other schools about opportunities.

I think ADs should do the same, if they aren't already. Its been discussed that a good AD always keeps a short list of candidates. But are these lists wish lists, or are the real possibilities? Do you think ADs who already have head coaches are making offseason calls to keep that short list warm?

QuadrupleOption
08-15-2016, 09:07 AM
I think any AD with half a brain is going to be on the lookout for coaches to replace the current one. But once the job is open, most major universities will get a lot of interest from coaches that weren't on the list.

We're in a good spot because of our budget, facilities, and conference affiliation. So if Dan leaves or is let go, I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding a replacement. Whether we find the *right* one or not is open to debate.

Johnson85
08-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Its well known that Mullen has kept an eye out for other opportunities. Can't blame him. Anyone that has any kind of job ought to do the same. It makes good career sense.

I doubt Mullen tells Stricklin each offseason, "well, I've got my resume in at UGA, Miami, etc and I want to wait and see". But I guarantee you his agent does something to that effect. It always seems to slip out there, maybe the the coaches' agents, that certain coaches are talking to other schools about opportunities.

I think ADs should do the same, if they aren't already. Its been discussed that a good AD always keeps a short list of candidates. But are these lists wish lists, or are the real possibilities? Do you think ADs who already have head coaches are making offseason calls to keep that short list warm?

I doubt they are doing any contact. At most, they might have a relationship with some of the coaches' agents and feel them out about which of their clients would be interested if a HC left. Too much room for problems if it gets out to do much more than that (and maybe even to do that). You could inadvertently create a situation that looks like Tubberville's in Auburn, where they (or at least some of their significant boosters) were actively looking to upgrade.

But it may be that agents give plenty of unsolicited information to ADs with coaches on warm seats.

Martianlander
08-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Freeze is constantly contacted by NFL teams.****