PDA

View Full Version : New QB on campus from Last Chance U?

CadaverDawg
08-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Wyatt Roberts.

Anybody know anything about the guy? Not a bad grab for some depth after losing Staley it seems. Although I know nothing about the guy. EMCC usually has good QB's though.

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 10:14 AM
He's from Louisville, I think. We offered him preferred walk-on, he went to Scooba instead and yes he is supposed to be enrolled.

BrunswickDawg
08-14-2016, 10:18 AM
So now our 4th string QB beat out the leading contender to start at Auburn? 😂

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Ain't Auburn going after Stidham(Baylor transfer)...I going to laugh my ass off if they get him and Franklin has to work again to get the job

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Ain't Auburn going after Stidham(Baylor transfer)...I going to laugh my ass off if they get him and Franklin has to work again to get the job

Stidham is going where Briles goes next year. That may be Auburn or it may not.

RC3
08-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Well he said on the show that he wasn't going to play anymore. That he was retiring. He did seem to be a good player though. Turned down a scholarship offer from MC. Seemed frustrated that he played behind Kelly who now starts at ole miss and then beat out Franklin who got an auburn scholarship. Just said he would rather hang it up

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Just glad Wyatt is one of ours, he seemed like a good guy.

RiverCityDawg
08-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Well he said on the show that he wasn't going to play anymore. That he was retiring. He did seem to be a good player though. Turned down a scholarship offer from MC. Seemed frustrated that he played behind Kelly who now starts at ole miss and then beat out Franklin who got an auburn scholarship. Just said he would rather hang it up

Looks like he's changed his mind.

Seems like he would be a great scout team guy and emergency 4th stringer. Glad to have him.

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Seems like he would be a great scout team guy and emergency 4th stringer. Glad to have him.

I don't see it as him changing his mind. In the show, he stated that he wasn't going to ask MSU to be on the football team. He said MSU would have to reach out to him because he felt he was good enough.

With Staley transferring and the possibility of another QB transferring, it would have been smart of Mullen to reach out to Roberts in an effort to get a player out there that could function in an emergency.

RC3
08-14-2016, 11:18 AM

Yep after looking into. It does seem that he has joined the team. That's great

LC Dawg
08-14-2016, 11:33 AM
My brother lives in Louisville and he's been telling me about this kid for awhile. He told me he will win wherever he goes. It's the same thing we've all seen before. The guy makes plays and wins ballgames but he doesn't have the measurables that everyone is looking for. He's been listed as 6'-0" but I don't think he's that tall. Someone from Louisville could probably tell us some more about him.

BeastMan
08-14-2016, 11:52 AM
He was on campus anyway. He just decided to play football and I'm sure the coaches are fine with it after the Staley transfer. Good kid who is a gamer but he's a scout team guy at best. He's a good addition to the QB group in the film room and on the practice field.

RiverCityDawg
08-14-2016, 11:55 AM
In the show, he stated that he wasn't going to ask MSU to be on the football team. He said MSU would have to reach out to him because he felt he was good enough.

I don't remember that at all. I remember him saying he would just be a regular student and play intramurals.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-14-2016, 12:02 PM
If you listened to Head2Head last week, Matt Wyatt speculated this could happen. Glad it worked out for everyone.

LC Dawg
08-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Did Roberts take Staley's scholarship or is he walking on?

BeastMan
08-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Did Roberts take Staley's scholarship or is he walking on?

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt we will have Roberts on scholarship

LC Dawg
08-14-2016, 01:59 PM

That's what I thought but the timing of this right after Staley left had me curious. I actually wouldn't mind him being on scholarship just because it's nice seeing guys get rewarded for working hard and winning but I know he's probably not going to contribute to us on the field. He'd be a nice quarterback for Croom era football though.

It_Could_Happen
08-14-2016, 02:42 PM
All I've ever heard about the kid is he's a winner. Saw it in high school and in the documentary. Hell give the kid some reps at practice and see what happens.

rcsteph1
08-14-2016, 02:53 PM

On the show he said he wanted to play, but the coaches and university showed no interest. So he said if they didn't want him he would just hang it up. He didn't want to play anywhere else. He had even asked to walk on previously and was not given any return interest from us. Sounds like the kid just wanted to be at Ms State no matter what, even if it meant giving up football.

Dawg61
08-14-2016, 03:42 PM

What's it hurt to put him on scholarship since we have atleast six open ones right now. He can help us recruit EMCC.

BeastMan
08-14-2016, 04:30 PM
What's it hurt to put him on scholarship since we have atleast six open ones right now. He can help us recruit EMCC.

I wouldn't put him on scholarship. He's a walk-on 4th string QB whose only committable offer when he left EMC was Miss College. From all accounts he is a great kid but he is not a scholarship QB. Next year when Thompson arrives, he's a 5th string walk-on QB.

lamont
08-14-2016, 08:19 PM
We needed a scout team QB. We have one now. Great move by the staff.

M.Fillmore
08-14-2016, 08:54 PM
It's difficult to envision a scenario where he'll be a part of the quarterback competition involving Damian Williams, Nick Fitzgerald and Nick Tiano. Michael Bonner - The Clarion Ledger

This is Bonner's opinion of the guy who beat out Auburn's QB. I doubt this will be what Bonner says the week we play Auburn. He'll talk about how Auburn's QB play is stronger than MSU's.

I saw Wyatt Roberts play three times last year. He has a big set of balls and they are solid brass. That is worth a lot.

Dawg61
08-14-2016, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't put him on scholarship. He's a walk-on 4th string QB whose only committable offer when he left EMC was Miss College. From all accounts he is a great kid but he is not a scholarship QB. Next year when Thompson arrives, he's a 5th string walk-on QB.

He's also a celebrity that expressed big interest in MSU on the show. That exposure alone is worth one of the SIX scholarships we aren't using.

Homedawg
08-14-2016, 09:25 PM
That's a huge assumption to say he can help us recruit. And just iF he could help, it will only be for one year. He doesn't deserve one.

Todd4State
08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
You shouldn't use a scholarship on someone that is willing to walk on.

Engine
08-14-2016, 09:45 PM
If he ever see's the field in a real game we're ****ed.

Nice story. Glad he can help the scout team.

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Glad to have him on the team. You can never have enough leaders on and around the team. You never know this kid could end up being the coach of State in the future that wins us a NC all because Mullen gave him the chance to further his football career around this program.

Mullen does so much leadership development that most of us don't notice right now but when he's gone and we begin searching for the next coach we will all see how large his coaching tree is quickly becoming and will likely be appreciative.

Bama_Dawg
08-15-2016, 05:54 AM
My brother lives in Louisville and he's been telling me about this kid for awhile. He told me he will win wherever he goes. It's the same thing we've all seen before. The guy makes plays and wins ballgames but he doesn't have the measurables that everyone is looking for. He's been listed as 6'-0" but I don't think he's that tall. Someone from Louisville could probably tell us some more about him.

Aside from being out of state, when I read this I thought...wait, Dylan Favre?

louisvilledawg
08-15-2016, 08:03 AM

GREAT kid. I am about 6 years older than him. I grew up playing pickup basketball with him, his dad, and his brother, Payson.

I think he's every bit of 6' tall. I'm about 6"2 and he's just a little shorter than i am.

The dude just has the "IT." Hell of a competitor and a lot more athletic than people give him credit for.

louisvilledawg
08-15-2016, 08:04 AM
If he ever see's the field in a real game we're ****ed.

Nice story. Glad he can help the scout team.

I completely agree. If he ever gets in a game ahead of 3 qbs we've had in the system for years, we're seven shades of 17d

Jack Lambert
08-15-2016, 08:30 AM

I agree but you can award one to a walk on who works his ass off.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-15-2016, 08:55 AM
I agree but you can award one to a walk on who works his ass off.

Which there are plenty already on the team who have been busting their ass all spring & summer. I'm sure 1 or 2 of those guys will get rewarded before the season starts.

HSVDawg
08-15-2016, 10:09 AM
He's also a celebrity that expressed big interest in MSU on the show. That exposure alone is worth one of the SIX scholarships we aren't using.

I think it's actually 7 now with Staley gone. I'd say give him a one year scholarship (which is customary for walk-ons). But we don't want a 4th string walk on QB tying up a spot we could give out in February that would count back to last year.

Pollodawg
08-15-2016, 10:37 AM

I highly doubt he would come in three weeks before the season and hammer down the start. It's gonna be White or Franklin III at AU neither of them are what Gus needs at QB, tho Franklin III is closer. If they could just have him run the ball every down at AU, Franklin III would be a decent QB. I mean, come on, it's not like throwing the ball is all that important for a QB, right...........

HSVDawg
08-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Walk-ons get temporary scholarships all the time that are good on a season by season basis. This happens to fill in the gaps when guys leave the team or don't qualify when we end up short of the 85 limit. It's pretty common at all programs. Now, I'm not sure if he's been in the program long enough to earn one compared to the other walk-ons, but technically we could give any of them a full ride for a finite period of time that is non-guaranteed past this season, and still not risk anything for future recruiting classes. Technically, this applies even to non-walkons as scholarships are always year over year contracts (same as with academic scholarahips). But, its almost never put into practice for the guys that sign LOI unless a program is trying to force "good" attrition, and even then it is only done at some programs.

MaroonFlounder
08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
How much eligibility does Roberts have left? Just 1 year?

The only bad play for him last year at EMCC was the pick 6 he threw against Co-Lin....to a player committed to us. (Landrews)

louisvilledawg
08-15-2016, 11:40 AM
How much eligibility does Roberts have left? Just 1 year?

The only bad play for him last year at EMCC was the pick 6 he threw against Co-Lin....to a player committed to us. (Landrews)

He'll be a junior