PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Dak's Game Last Night

ShotgunDawg
08-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Just got done watching Dak's game, & here are some quick thoughts on what I saw:

- Dak has gotten better. I had no idea he had the touch to make some of the screen throws he made last night. Since we last saw Dak in the Belk Bowl, he's developed slightly more feel & touch for the football. Dan Mullen did an outstanding job in developing Dak, but the development has continued.

- The Rams played a ton of man coverage last night, but I couldn't have been more impressed with Dak's decisiveness with the football & the flow in which he ran the offense. It's absolutely clear that Dak Prescott is willing to put in the time, effort, & possesses the personal discipline to prepare like an NFL starting QB. I know it's just a preseason game, but he flawlessly ran that offense with flow & rhythm. Rookies in their debuts, no matter if it's regular season or preseason, are not supposed to do that. Dak genuinely looked like he has been in the Cowboy's offense for a few years.

- Very impressive pocket presence & confidence in the way he played. Again, 4th round rookies QBs aren't supposed to look like that on the field. Some team drafted Jacoby Brissett, the NC State QB, before Dak. Those poor fans.

- I always chuckle when scouts out scout themselves. They are looking for tools, prototypes, measurables, but I kid you not, most of the time, the best players in college end up being the best players at the next level. When you look at all the QBs that were drafted above Dak: Goff, Wentz, Lynch, Brissett, Connor Cook, Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, etc, Dak was consistently better than every damn one of them in college. Every.Damn.One.of.Them. Sure, all had their flashes, but not one of these players were better college QBs than Dak. So, why is it so surprising that Dak is still the best player?

- To hear Dez Bryant talk about Dak after the game, it's clear why the Cowboys haven't gone after a backup QB. The players were probably telling Jerry not to, & we saw last night why. Dez respects Dak. It was easy to see that in Dez's post game press conference.

- Lastly, it was just a preseason game against the Ram & the defenses will get stiffer & more confusing, but IMO Dak looked like a future NFL starter last night. He looked like a big, strong, athletic guy with pocket presence & confidence that can rip it down field & possesses the personal discipline & work ethic to prepare. That's what NFL QBs are.

Charley CasserlyVerified account
‏@CharleyCasserly
The #Cowboys Dak Prescott played well/accurate!/poised/Decisive/Impressive Bk Shldr throw to Bryant/ No real negatives @nflnetwork

Oleo
08-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Just got back last night from out of country and sitting in ATL waiting on connection , watching the Dallas game. I was really pleased with Dak's performance.
Didnt yet see the stats-line but he was completing every pass. Gives me new reason to watch cowboys this year. I think he sees substantial playing time this year

CadaverDawg
08-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Just got back last night from out of country and sitting in ATL waiting on connection , watching the Dallas game. I was really pleased with Dak's performance.
Didnt yet see the stats-line but he was completing every pass. Gives me new reason to watch cowboys this year. I think he sees substantial playing time this year

10-12 for 139 yds and 2 TD's. His only two incompletions were drops by Swain, the TE. It was damn near a perfect debut. Happy for Dak. I hope he keeps playing at a high level during his opportunities.

JoseBrown
08-14-2016, 09:31 AM

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 09:56 AM
The #1 pick in the draft QB Jared Goff, was so out-classed by Dak it was funny. Dak was playing against the Rams 1st team defense the first 2 series, and Goff was playing against Dallas rookie D lineman because 3 of Dallas's 1st team D line have been suspended. Dak 10/12 2 TD's 0 Int. 154 QB rating, Goff pulled after 2 series 1 sack 1 Int. 0 TD's. Dak makes 500k/yr. Goff 5 mil./yr. that's crazy.

Bothrops
08-14-2016, 10:29 AM
The NFL draft is a joke

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Jerry Jones post game said, I'm not putting him in the HOF yet, but I liked what I saw.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Watching Dak play yesterday I couldn't help but think about how Dixon killed it in preseason with San Fran and then ended up sitting on the bench most of his career. But this is different, Dak is the complete package at QB and MSU will finally have a star on offense in the NFL. Now if I hear one more commentator ask "but can he throw the ball", I'm going to throw up.

msstatelp1
08-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Just got done watching Dak's game, & here are some quick thoughts on what I saw:

- Dak has gotten better. I had no idea he had the touch to make some of the screen throws he made last night. Since we last saw Dak in the Belk Bowl, he's developed slightly more feel & touch for the football. Dan Mullen did an outstanding job in developing Dak, but the development has continued.

I'm sure Dak got better with the pro level coaching but he also had a much better line and time to actually make decisions last night. Wonder how much better he'd have been last year with a good line?

was21
08-14-2016, 11:36 AM
But but but but...I'm looking for the comparisons to Tebow and can't find any in any of the "experts" articles.

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm sure Dak got better with the pro level coaching but he also had a much better line and time to actually make decisions last night. Wonder how much better he'd have been last year with a good line?

True that! Where is the blame placed on that OL? Not the players!

HSVDawg
08-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Still a long way to go and maybe a few years before we reap the rewards, but the great thing to me is that we seem to finally have one of our own who will actually live up to the hype as a top tier player at a visible position in the NFL. We all talk about the supposed media bias where OM is viewed more favorably on a national scale than MSU, but a lot of that really started with Eli Manning becoming an ambassador to the university on the national stage. We finally have the same opportunity to showcase our own university through Dak, and I expect that will pay long term dividends in recruiting. And as much as we like to credit Mullen with his development (and deservedly so), I really feel Dak has the drive that would have made him successful whereever he went. We are very fortunate that Mullen found him and even more fortunate that he chose us.

SaintDawg
08-14-2016, 12:19 PM
The kid is going to be a superstar. Name a recent rookie QB that has had a debut like that. Go ahead. I'll wait...

msbulldog
08-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Still a long way to go and maybe a few years before we reap the rewards, but the great thing to me is that we seem to finally have one of our own who will actually live up to the hype as a top tier player at a visible position in the NFL. We all talk about the supposed media bias where OM is viewed more favorably on a national scale than MSU, but a lot of that really started with Eli Manning becoming an ambassador to the university on the national stage. We finally have the same opportunity to showcase our own university through Dak, and I expect that will pay long term dividends in recruiting. And as much as we like to credit Mullen with his development (and deservedly so), I really feel Dak has the drive that would have made him successful whereever he went. We are very fortunate that Mullen found him and even more fortunate that he chose us.

I like your thinking, what a better stage than the Cowboys for free publicity for Tx recruiting and also on the national stage. Just hope for continued progress!