PDA

View Full Version : DAN COACHING QBS

Travelingdawg
08-13-2016, 08:10 PM
If Dan keeps putting QBS in the league somebody from NFL is going to come after him.

IMissJack
08-13-2016, 08:12 PM
If Dan keeps putting QBS in the league somebody from NFL is going to come after him.

Only if someone like Chip Kelly has some success first, IMO. Should continue to help our QB recruiting though, as long as Dan is here.

Travelingdawg
08-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Only if someone like Chip Kelly has some success first, IMO. Should continue to help our QB recruiting though, as long as Dan is here.

Absolutely should help in recruiting & hopfully in the Dallas area.

Todd4State
08-13-2016, 08:37 PM
I just don't think Dan is a NFL guy.

bulldawg28
08-13-2016, 08:43 PM

What?????

Leroy Jenkins
08-13-2016, 08:46 PM

As a QB coach?

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2016, 09:24 PM

Nice try Confederate. Y'all have been shopping him for every open job since he got here.

Reason2succeed
08-13-2016, 09:49 PM
The only thing that will happen is that we will be a destination for QBs AND RECEIVERS!!!

lamont
08-13-2016, 10:16 PM

We can only hope so

Reason2succeed
08-13-2016, 10:28 PM
We can only hope so

WTH?!? No!!! I don't get some of you. Mullen is only the best coach we've ever had. Please name 5 coaches you'd rather want that we could actually pull off getting. Because you don't wish a guy gone unless you are rock solid sure that the next guy is a guaranteed upgrade. I'll wait.

Liverpooldawg
08-13-2016, 10:42 PM
We can only hope so

Really 34? I suppose you would have been one of the TOTAL idiots than ran McKeen off too.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-14-2016, 05:15 PM
WTH?!? No!!! I don't get some of you. Mullen is only the best coach we've ever had. Please name 5 coaches you'd rather want that we could actually pull off getting. Because you don't wish a guy gone unless you are rock solid sure that the next guy is a guaranteed upgrade. I'll wait.

Not to be argumentative, but a case probably could be make for coaches Chadwick, Robinson, Sasse, McKeen, Warmath, Royal, Tyler or Sherrill as the best coach in MSU history. The difference between Mullen and the other coaches is the support he has received from the University's administration particularly the Ninja and then Stricklin. Throw in the SEC network cash ( the great equalizer) and you have a recipe for success on the field. That fact that Mullen is a great coach and administrator has compounded our success these last years. Also, what about Brian Johnson, has he not had a hand in Dak's development? I would think so.

mic
08-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Absolutely should help in recruiting & hopfully in the Dallas area.

It already has..
Keytaon Thompson is the real deal...

DanDority
08-14-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint, but what Dak did and continues to do can't be coached it is something that MANY can't and will never be able to do sadly. He is one of a few Great leaders of men and he happens to be a good athlete. Were he in the military he'd be a General before too long. Dan has very little to do with how good he is.

confucius say
08-14-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint, but what Dak did and continues to do can't be coached it is something that MANY can't and will never be able to do sadly. He is one of a few Great leaders of men and he happens to be a good athlete. Were he in the military he'd be a General before too long. Dan has very little to do with how good he is.

You forgot these ******

confucius say
08-14-2016, 07:56 PM
We can only hope so

There it is. Not even September yet.

lamont
08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Really 34? .

I'm not 34. I manage a Taco Bell for Taco Tuohy

As to your question- I'm not for running anybody off except Hevesy. But I dont forget our HC begging for the Georgia job, talking contract with Miami until Mark Richt snaked him, and talking contract with Maryland and then getting cold feet. Dan Mullen isnt the only coach that can win here.

Thick
08-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Or....maybe Texas or aTm come after Dan?

Taog Redloh
08-14-2016, 08:57 PM

As to your question- I'm not for running anybody off except Hevesy. But I dont forget our HC begging for the Georgia job, talking contract with Miami until Mark Richt snaked him, and talking contract with Maryland and then getting cold feet. Dan Mullen isnt the only coach that can win here.
Look, we all know he tried to jump jobs. But hoping for him to leave is foolish. He's better than you realize.

TrapGame
08-14-2016, 09:01 PM

Or UGA after they fire Smart in a few years.

lamont
08-14-2016, 09:05 PM

Its possible- but until he does something significant, I cant see him getting a top 15 job. He's 1-3 vs Sumlin- not exactly a glowing part of his resume

If Strong doesnt improve- I expect UT to go after a big, proven name

lamont
08-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Or UGA after they fire Smart in a few years.

Smart will be at Georgia at least 5 years. He will be good on defense and recruit well. That will keep him paid. We'll see what he does offensively and if he has learned to let loose on some reigns the way Saban has on that side of the ball.

Liverpooldawg
08-14-2016, 09:14 PM

Well..........history shows they come along about once every 60-70 years. You better HOPE what you are hoping for never happens.

lamont
08-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Well..........history shows they come along about once every 60-70 years. You better HOPE what you are hoping for never happens.

Miss State 1991-2016 has been totally different than before Jackie. It's a new age and we have SEC money. We were one of the bottom 20% moneywise in the 80's- now we are in the top 50% of college football in money and facilities. We pay top 25% to a HC. Its no more woe is us

Our last 25 years shows we can be a force in the SEC and we have had 2 of our top coaches in school history

lamont
08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
not only that- our only setback in the last 25 years is Templeton hiring Crooms over Jimbo Fisher. We should have had 3 of our best coaches the last 25 years

There is your history

bulldawg28
08-14-2016, 10:50 PM
not only that- our only setback in the last 25 years is Templeton hiring Crooms over Jimbo Fisher. We should have had 3 of our best coaches the last 25 years

There is your history

Your crazy

Todd4State
08-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Miss State 1991-2016 has been totally different than before Jackie. It's a new age and we have SEC money. We were one of the bottom 20% moneywise in the 80's- now we are in the top 50% of college football in money and facilities. We pay top 25% to a HC. Its no more woe is us

Our last 25 years shows we can be a force in the SEC and we have had 2 of our top coaches in school history

THIS in spades. People need to realize that things are different now and we are one of the better programs in the country. We have a lot of resources that others would envy on a National level and we were in the running for the BCS Playoffs two years ago. Our floor as a program is six wins.

The "I just hope we beat Ole Miss and go to the Liberty Bowl once every five years" days are over.

Todd4State
08-14-2016, 11:37 PM

Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Scott Satterfield, Blake Anderson, and Montgomery at Tulsa. I did that without even mentioning Mark Hudspeth.

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Scott Satterfield, Blake Anderson, and Montgomery at Tulsa. I did that without even mentioning Mark Hudspeth.

Tom Herman would not come to State. Even if he did I'm not sure he's a better coach than Mullen. Mullen likely could have done the same thing against Houston''s schedule. He beat a Florida State team that didn't want to be in that bowl game other than that his three biggest wins were Memphis, Navy, and Temple. They lost to UConn. Those teams are not Alabama, LSU, (but Memphis DID BEAT) OM.

Mark Hudspeth would likely have us in the exact same position that OM is in right now. But then again I guess that's why everyone likes him.

I'm not seeing the upgrade in Blake Anderson, Scott Satterfield, PJ Fleck, or Phillip Montgomery. Most are still relatively inexperienced, have not put many big names in the NFL, have not shown an ability to recruit our region any better than Mullen. I'm just not seeing what you are seeing other than just having another guy. Mullen had put numerous big name guys in the NFL as OC and QB coach before coming here. Alex Smith, Aaron Hernandez, Percy Harvin, Tim Tebow, Josh Harris.... This means a lot to recruits.

Yes, State has a new influx of money that it has never had before but then again so does every team that we play in the SEC. Ask Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina if having new money automatically transforms their program. The only reason OM is different than they have been before is because they put their money in an "opportunity fund". ***

What Mullen did the first couple of years was solid. You can't ask for much more than that. He's building our program the right way and we are becoming a consistent force in CFB.

Plus, if you go and fire the first coach that has ever gotten you to #1 in school history you can hang it up on ever attracting a serious coaching candidate for the remainder of time that that AD is there and possibly longer because it is a sign that the fan base is out of control.

Give Mullen the credit he deserves.

lamont
08-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Nobody is going guarantee any hire would be better than Mullen. There is no way to be certain of that. But Mullen isn't the only coach that can win 7-8 games a year here.

If he leaves- it will be ok. Stop being extreme- NOBODY has said one word about FIRING Mullen

JOHNHEVESYMADE
08-15-2016, 06:33 AM
I wish Mullen would stop shopping jobs on us. We have put over 100 million into our facilities and pay him top 20 in the country. I can understand wanting the Georgia job but Miami or Maryland? I don't understand. Until we improve our o line recruiting, we will always be in the 7/8 win range unless we have another Dak Prescott. Seems like Mullen does the hard things extremely well but can't do the easy things if that makes sense. He's done a phenomenal job, but he has his flaws (Hevesy).

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Nobody is going guarantee any hire would be better than Mullen. There is no way to be certain of that. But Mullen isn't the only coach that can win 7-8 games a year here.

If he leaves- it will be ok. Stop being extreme- NOBODY has said one word about FIRING Mullen

The assumption that Mullen is 7-8 win per season coach is only valid you hold his first season against him. Minus hat season his average is 8.3 wins per season with two 9 season wins and one 10 season win. Who else has done that at State in the modern era?

Yes, Mullen has his flaws. I agree that Hevesy is likely his Achilles heel but there must be a reason why Mullen brought he guy with him from Florida. I trust that if Mullen is a good enough coach to find a Dak at QB when everyone else is projecting him as a TE then he can evaluate his coaches. Personally I don't like messing with the chef's ingredients in the kitchen. You never know how what Hevesy does and how he does it may effect the entire team. Chemistry matters. If the wheels fall off I'm positive that Mullen will take a long look at all his offensive coaches who have been with him for a long time and make the appropriate changes.

As far as him shopping jobs it's a career not a marriage. If it were me I would shop myself around too for several reasons. First, to make sure fans like you know that I am a wanted commodity and don't take me for granted. Two, so that my agent (who is probably the one telling him to interview at these places) will have the leverage to negotiate raises not only for me but for my staff at State. Three, because Miami, Maryland, and Georgia are not Starkville, MS. As much as I love Starkville all of those places provide a better quality of life for his wife and kids. And last, OM was up the road cheating their butts off and beating him with hired guns. If I had to compete on an uneven playing field and was losing to my rival and the NCAA wasn't going to step in I would have left too because once again it's a career.

Bubb Rubb
08-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Its possible- but until he does something significant, I cant see him getting a top 15 job. He's 1-3 vs Sumlin- not exactly a glowing part of his resume

If Strong doesnt improve- I expect UT to go after a big, proven name

You mean like get MSU ranked #1 in the nation and go to a BCS-level bowl?

As you like to say, c'mon mane.

DanDority
08-15-2016, 08:52 AM
The assumption that Mullen is 7-8 win per season coach is only valid you hold his first season against him. Minus hat season his average is 8.3 wins per season with two 9 season wins and one 10 season win.

Now, take out the Greatest "LEADER" quarterback out of that percentage and what is his winning percentage?

lamont
08-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Reason2Succeed- you are adding in bowl wins- I'm talking regular season. And his 1st season does count by the way

Nobody is saying he hasn't done a good job. But we have only seriously challenged for the West title once in 7 years. And that is not going to change until we recruit better upfront. State and Vandy are the only 2 SEC teams without a 4-star OL recruit on their rosters in 2016. OL recruiting has held us back the last few seasons with nothing pointing to that problem being rectified.

lamont
08-15-2016, 09:08 AM
You mean like get MSU ranked #1 in the nation and go to a BCS-level bowl?

As you like to say, c'mon mane.

That was great to us- but LSU, A&M, USC, Fla State, Texas- the blue bloods aren't going to hire him based on that

Johnson85
08-15-2016, 09:18 AM
That was great to us- but LSU, A&M, USC, Fla State, Texas- the blue bloods aren't going to hire him based on that

What did Les Miles do at OSU prior to coming to LSU that is comparable to what Dan has done? And remind me of Jimbo Fisher's big accomplishments as head coach? And sumlin winning at Houston is that much more impressive than sustained success at MSU?

I don't think Mullen is going to get poached by one of the blue bloods, but it's not because what he has done wouldn't justify it. Especially considering that his biggest weakness, recruiting, would be hidden at a blue blood school and his second biggest weakness (getting conservative in game play) wouldn't be such a weakness once he had comparable talent across the board.

Johnson85
08-15-2016, 09:22 AM
The assumption that Mullen is 7-8 win per season coach is only valid you hold his first season against him. Minus hat season his average is 8.3 wins per season with two 9 season wins and one 10 season win. Who else has done that at State in the modern era?

We're going to get some certainty on what Mullen is this year I think, as this should be the floor for the next few years. If he gets to 8 regular season wins, he will have really elevated the program over where it was his first few years. If he wins six, then we will know that he's basically already hit his plateau, and we will continue going forward with regular seasons largely between 6-8 wins, with some occasional surprises thrown in.

Johnson85
08-15-2016, 09:24 AM
As a QB coach?

That'd be a hell of a 'retirement' job. I don't think Mullen's personality would let him do it at all, but if somebody thought he was a guru enough to pay him a million a year to be a qb coach and help the OC for an NFL team, that'd have to be a hell of a lifestyle improvement over spending off seasons kissing the asses of a bunch of high schoolers.

confucius say
08-15-2016, 09:35 AM
What did Les Miles do at OSU prior to coming to LSU that is comparable to what Dan has done? And remind me of Jimbo Fisher's big accomplishments as head coach? And sumlin winning at Houston is that much more impressive than sustained success at MSU?

I don't think Mullen is going to get poached by one of the blue bloods, but it's not because what he has done wouldn't justify it. Especially considering that his biggest weakness, recruiting, would be hidden at a blue blood school and his second biggest weakness (getting conservative in game play) wouldn't be such a weakness once he had comparable talent across the board.

To add, saban was a 7 win coach at the other msu prior to getting the Lsu job

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 11:27 AM
I give guys credit for winning bowl games because the alternative is losing them. If he was losing bowl games after good season we be complaining about that but for the most part Mullen is able to get his team up one last time to put an exclamation on the season.

I think that the first season is kind of a wash because it was with the deplorable talent left by Croom. The other season that I kind of see a mulligan was the year we started against Oklahoma State and Tyler Russell and a starting safety got hurt in the same game. Most teams fall apart in that situation and do not recover but Mullen was able to piece together another bowl team.

I agree that we could recruit better at OL but I trust that you're not saying anything that Mullen doesn't know. When it becomes time I'm sure that as a professional he will send Hevesy packing if he needs to. Until then you've got to assume that Hev is giving Mullen exactly what he wants and is meeting expectations.

Don't forget that lots of OL don't like spread offenses. The only reason why OM is pulling the OL they are is because they are throwing major $ around. If not no OL would be signing up for playing for a team that had all that talent and the #1 LT in the nation and still couldn't run the ball consistently up the middle. Once OM is busted you may see and uptick in our in State OL recruiting. Maybe. If not Mullen will deal with it.

QuadrupleOption
08-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Now, take out the Greatest "LEADER" quarterback out of that percentage and what is his winning percentage?

That's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever read.

"Oh yeah, well if Mullen hadn't won all those games with players he recruited then he'd have a losing record!!!!!!"

No shit?

tireddawg
08-15-2016, 12:04 PM
To add, saban was a 7 win coach at the other msu prior to getting the Lsu job

He won 9 his last year, but I get your point.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't know if a NFL team will pay 4 million for a QB coach and he needs to get to another level before he gets a head coaching job.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 12:23 PM
I give guys credit for winning bowl games because the alternative is losing them. If he was losing bowl games after good season we be complaining about that but for the most part Mullen is able to get his team up one last time to put an exclamation on the season.

I think that the first season is kind of a wash because it was with the deplorable talent left by Croom. The other season that I kind of see a mulligan was the year we started against Oklahoma State and Tyler Russell and a starting safety got hurt in the same game. Most teams fall apart in that situation and do not recover but Mullen was able to piece together another bowl team.

I agree that we could recruit better at OL but I trust that you're not saying anything that Mullen doesn't know. When it becomes time I'm sure that as a professional he will send Hevesy packing if he needs to. Until then you've got to assume that Hev is giving Mullen exactly what he wants and is meeting expectations.

Don't forget that lots of OL don't like spread offenses. The only reason why OM is pulling the OL they are is because they are throwing major $ around. If not no OL would be signing up for playing for a team that had all that talent and the #1 LT in the nation and still couldn't run the ball consistently up the middle. Once OM is busted you may see and uptick in our in State OL recruiting. Maybe. If not Mullen will deal with it.

And yet on my candidates I listed you degrade their wins. Seems fair.

msbulldog
08-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Reason2Succeed- you are adding in bowl wins- I'm talking regular season. And his 1st season does count by the way

Nobody is saying he hasn't done a good job. But we have only seriously challenged for the West title once in 7 years. And that is not going to change until we recruit better upfront. State and Vandy are the only 2 SEC teams without a 4-star OL recruit on their rosters in 2016. OL recruiting has held us back the last few seasons with nothing pointing to that problem being rectified.

Martinas Rankin being the #1 JUCO prospect would at least count for 4 stars.

Dawg61
08-15-2016, 01:41 PM

Nobody is going to pay Dan what we pay him. He realizes that now. Time to get over him flirting with other schools.

mic
08-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Also it's time for the AD to TELL CDM to stop courting other jobs every year..

lamont
08-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Nobody is going to pay Dan what we pay him. He realizes that now. Time to get over him flirting with other schools.

Only thing Mullen realizes now is how fast he got dropped by Miami when Richt became available

fishwater99
08-15-2016, 03:34 PM

THIS...

Homedawg
08-15-2016, 03:54 PM

Huh? So those years don't count? That's like saying, what would Phil jackson's winning percentage be without Jordan w the Bulls and Shaq and Kobe w the Lakers. Hell at keast Dan recruited dak, Jackson was handed all of his studs.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-15-2016, 03:56 PM

But every team gets SEC money and most of the larger schools have alumni bases that double or triple ours. That means they have more donations and MORE MONEY. Hell, just look at the dependencies of the recruiting budgets across the SEC.

confucius say
08-15-2016, 04:15 PM
THIS...

Agreed. But we know he can, and win at levels never before seen at our school (modern era) over a length of time. Why screw with that?

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Agreed. But we know he can, and win at levels never before seen at our school (modern era) over a length of time. Why screw with that?

Because if the next guy is unsuccessful we can always fire the next guy until we find someone that can succeed. Getting rid of Dan wouldn't kill our program. Just like getting rid of Polk didn't kill the baseball program.

JDog13
08-15-2016, 04:22 PM
How can you a holes type that much?

Dawg61
08-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Only thing Mullen realizes now is how fast he got dropped by Miami when Richt became available

You trying to run him off has gotten old

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 04:43 PM
How can you a holes type that much?

I had the benefit of a great Mississippi State education among my other scholastic achievements. Hahahaha!

(And being educated and disciplined doesn't make me an a hole).

The idea that we can just cycle through coaches until we find a real winner is real dumb and won't work. It will show that we have an unrealistic fanbase and administration that top candidates would not be attracted to. Plus, during all those experimental years we would have to wait 3/4 years for that coach to get his players in to see if he is any good.

Go ask Tennessee how that worked out for them. Yes, Fulmer had slumped but they haven't been right since they dumped him. Dooley and Kiffin were absolute train wrecks and the jury is still out on Butch Jones. And Tennessee has way more money, fans and more tradition that we do.

JDog13
08-15-2016, 04:57 PM
I had the benefit of a great Mississippi State education among my other scholastic achievements. Hahahaha!

The idea that we can just cycle through coaches until we find a real winner is real dumb and won't work. It will show that we have an unrealistic fanbase and administration that top candidates would not be attracted to. Plus, during all those experimental years we would have to wait 3/4 years for that coach to get his players in to see if he is any good.

Go ask Tennessee how that worked out for them. Yes, Fulmer had slumped but they haven't been right since they dumped him. Dooley and Kiffin were absolute train wrecks and the jury is still out on Butch Jones. And Tennessee has way more money, fans and more tradition that we do.

Oh, my bad. I wasn't talking to you.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Obviously the intent is to hire someone that will win. Not making a decision because someone else might not work leads to stagnation and never reaching your potential. You're operating under the assumption that Dan is the absolute best we could do and there's no truth in that.

People said the same thing about Jackie at one time. And yet he left, we were on probation AND hired an unsuccessful head coach and our program is still in good shape overall.

There are a lot of talented coaches that would be happy to come here get paid millions and put up with our "unrealistic expectations" which should be elevated to championship level after 2014. Not let's just be happy with 8 wins and the Belk Bowl.

Dawgcentral
08-15-2016, 05:36 PM
I think we're going to see many head coaching changes in the SEC in the next 2-3 years. Miles could be gone just for not winning the west this year. Saban could leave Bama by retiring, or simply due to the fact that lunatic Bama fans think they should win the NT every year. Smart has 5 years maybe, but if he averages 9-10 wins a years he's no better than Richt. Malzahn is flopping. Freeze could be shown a show cause. Think the ruffled frat boy can win at S.C.?

JWS was the Dean of SEC coaches at 10 years. This is year 8 for Mullen.

All I can say is Stricklin better have his short list updated and maintain some good contacts around the country. Dan says he likes Starkville since his kids were born there, but many of us have moved our kids for a better opportunity. There are a few programs around the country that would pay 5M for Dan if he could get us to Atlanta.

BrunswickDawg
08-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Obviously the intent is to hire someone that will win. Not making a decision because someone else might not work leads to stagnation and never reaching your potential. You're operating under the assumption that Dan is the absolute best we could do and there's no truth in that.

People said the same thing about Jackie at one time. And yet he left, we were on probation AND hired an unsuccessful head coach and our program is still in good shape overall.

There are a lot of talented coaches that would be happy to come here get paid millions and put up with our "unrealistic expectations" which should be elevated to championship level after 2014. Not let's just be happy with 8 wins and the Belk Bowl.

Just like the Bears were so sure Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden would jump at the chance to come to Oxford. You know, beautiful campus and shit....

I really think the absolute worst thing that could have happened was 2014. That run has made too many people lose sight of the need to build for the long term and really establish the foundation that we have never had in football. This Mullen needs to move on/when Mullen leaves talk is just as counterproductive as the Scientologists' annual job hunt.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Just like the Bears were so sure Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden would jump at the chance to come to Oxford. You know, beautiful campus and shit....

I really think the absolute worst thing that could have happened was 2014. That run has made too many people lose sight of the need to build for the long term and really establish the foundation that we have never had in football. This Mullen needs to move on/when Mullen leaves talk is just as counterproductive as the Scientologists' annual job hunt.

I mentioned five mid major coaches that would likely come to MSU. Hardly Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden-esque expectations as that is the most likely route we will go when Dan leaves unless there is a retread like a Sherrill interested in our job.

BrunswickDawg
08-15-2016, 06:46 PM
I mentioned five mid major coaches that would likely come to MSU. Hardly Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden-esque expectations as that is the most likely route we will go when Dan leaves unless there is a retread like a Sherrill interested in our job.
I don't see how you can say being able to a attract a mid-major coach is a step up from hiring a 1st time coach from the P5 coordinator ranks. It's pretty much the same thing. Hell, Coach 34's Kyle Wittingham arguement was at least saying we could attract an up and coming P5 coach.

lamont
08-15-2016, 07:21 PM
But every team gets SEC money and most of the larger schools have alumni bases that double or triple ours. That means they have more donations and MORE MONEY. Hell, just look at the dependencies of the recruiting budgets across the SEC.

Tulane, Houston, ACC, BYU, etc dont get SEC money. We are bringing in more than at 75% of the teams in college football because we are in the SEC. That helps our prestige outside the SEC and keeps us winning non-conference games we didnt used to win. Our facilities have come along way the last 30 years because of the growth of the SEC and SEC money. Its moved us past alot of teams that used to be ahead of us

Pollodawg
08-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Said it before, and I'll say it again: Wanting Dan gone is about the stupidest thing any State fan can want............as it stands now. We'll be able to attract so much coaching talent after we run off a coach averaging 8 wins a year at a perennial cellar dweller at the zenith of the SEC West's power.** Dan has a winning record over UK, OM, Arkansas, UT, Vandy, Mizzou, and is tied with UGA and UF, and is about to tied with Auburn. What a shitty record. SMH. Dude has kicked almost half of the conference's ass repeatedly now. A decade ago, I would have given you my left nut for this.

lamont
08-15-2016, 07:27 PM
You trying to run him off has gotten old

I'm not trying to run Mullen off. Ive said 100 times you cant fire him. I'm just ok with it if he leaves. We'll be ok because Stricklin wont be allowed to Rick Ray it again.

But I'm pointing out that we did not extend his contract after he went 9-4- and we wont do it this year if he goes 6-6. 7-5 and it will be iffy. Gonna be a fun year to see what happens. I expect any and everything

BiscuitEater
08-15-2016, 07:33 PM

And, SORRY to disappoint you .. but Mullen has also coached Alex Smith (#1 NFL draft pick), Josh Harris, Chris Leak, & Tim Tebow (Heisman winner).

Dan Mullen made 2* QB Chris Relf into a 9 game winner.

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 07:34 PM

You do realize that 2014 was only two years ago right? No one is "just happy with 8 wins and the Belk Bowl" but putting pressure on a coach and acting like you're ready to drop him on a dime two years after he's taken you to be highest ranking that your school has EVER been is cray cray. Calm down. Be patient.

I agree if Mullen leaves it is not the end of the world but to insinuate that our administration should be shopping around for the next guy is just because we haven't beaten Bama is ridiculous.

lamont
08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Said it before, and I'll say it again: Wanting Dan gone is about the stupidest thing any State fan can want............as it stands now. We'll be able to attract so much coaching talent after we run off a coach averaging 8 wins a year at a perennial cellar dweller at the zenith of the SEC West's power.** Dan has a winning record over UK, OM, Arkansas, UT, Vandy, Mizzou, and is tied with UGA and UF, and is about to tied with Auburn. What a shitty record. SMH. Dude has kicked almost half of the conference's ass repeatedly now. A decade ago, I would have given you my left nut for this.

You people simply cant read. Or cant comprehend.

NOBODY- I REPEAT NOBODY- HAS SAID ONE WORD ABOUT FIRING MULLEN.

What has been said that its ok if he chooses to leave. We will be fine. What I have also pointed out is that what EVERY FAN needs to watch for this season is how we finish. 7-5 or 6-6 finish and a 3rd straight Egg Bowl loss- we arent going to extend Mullen's contract. That puts him down to 2 years left on his deal and on the hotseat. That means in 2017 we will play Bama and LSU at home- and our toss-up games on the road. Thats typically not a schedule for success.

These next 2 years are going to be extremely interesting to see what happens. Does Mullen keep winning at least 8 games? Do we slide back to 6 or 7 wins? Could worse happen? We shall see. The West is interesting this year and next.

lamont
08-15-2016, 07:39 PM
[B][I]Dan Mullen made 2* QB Chris Relf into a 9 game winner.

at a time when OM was a trainwreck and A&M wasnt in the West. That couldnt happen today.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 07:50 PM
I don't see how you can say being able to a attract a mid-major coach is a step up from hiring a 1st time coach from the P5 coordinator ranks. It's pretty much the same thing. Hell, Coach 34's Kyle Wittingham arguement was at least saying we could attract an up and coming P5 coach.

I think it is safer to hire a coach with head coaching experience in my opinion. If we go the coordinator route that's fine too but I think it's a little more risky. As they say experience preferred.

Todd4State
08-15-2016, 07:56 PM
You do realize that 2014 was only two years ago right? No one is "just happy with 8 wins and the Belk Bowl" but putting pressure on a coach and acting like you're ready to drop him on a dime two years after he's taken you to be highest ranking that your school has EVER been is cray cray. Calm down. Be patient.

I agree if Mullen leaves it is not the end of the world but to insinuate that our administration should be shopping around for the next guy is just because we haven't beaten Bama is ridiculous.

I haven't said we should get rid of Dan. I'm saying our expectations should be higher now and Dan should be held to that standard. Keeping your failing albatross of an o-line coach is unacceptable. Openly looking for other jobs during prime recruiting season is unacceptable. Looking like you don't give a shit and having your team unprepared for a home Egg Bowl is unacceptable.

I'm also saying that yes Dan can be replaced contrary to what you believe or want to believe. It's ridiculous to believe that we can't and it's also chicken little as Dan is average at best as a head coach. Congrats to him for being more competent than Felker and Croom though.

Commercecomet24
08-15-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm not trying to run Mullen off. Ive said 100 times you cant fire him. I'm just ok with it if he leaves. We'll be ok because Stricklin wont be allowed to Rick Ray it again.

But I'm pointing out that we did not extend his contract after he went 9-4- and we wont do it this year if he goes 6-6. 7-5 and it will be iffy. Gonna be a fun year to see what happens. I expect any and everything

How could you have said it 100 times when you are such a new poster******

Commercecomet24
08-15-2016, 08:32 PM
I love what Dan has done here and hope he stays and wins a bus load of games. I do agree if he left we could hire another great coach. However, to many are discrediting Dans success as it's easier to win, it's easier to get to bowl games because of more money and the extra ooc game etc.. But my question is if it's so easy then why have only 4 of the 7 teams in the sec west and only half the teams in the whole sec been to bowl games the last 6 years like we have? I see it both ways, Dan has done a great job here and will continue to win and I believe he will only get better, however I also believe if he does leave one day that we can attract another great coach. We are in an era at State like I only used to dream of as a kid and it's only gonna get better.

lamont
08-15-2016, 08:38 PM
. But my question is if it's so easy then why have only 4 of the 7 teams in the sec west and only half the teams in the whole sec been to bowl games the last 6 years like we have? .

Because our permanent opponent from the East is Kentucky. Auburn's is Georgia. LSU's is Florida. Thats been huge for us as they have slid back. This season they will be a much tougher test for us in Lexington

Commercecomet24
08-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Because our permanent opponent from the East is Kentucky. Auburn's is Georgia. LSU's is Florida. Thats been huge for us as they have slid back. This season they will be a much tougher test for us in Lexington

I understand that but those are teams we haven't beaten consistently in the past. Dan has changed the culture here. He's developed players and put more players in the NFL than we have ever done. He does have flaws but every coach does. I hope he stays a long time and wins a ton, but I also believe our next hire will be a great one as well.

Reason2succeed
08-15-2016, 08:49 PM
I haven't said we should get rid of Dan. I'm saying our expectations should be higher now and Dan should be held to that standard. Keeping your failing albatross of an o-line coach is unacceptable. Openly looking for other jobs during prime recruiting season is unacceptable. Looking like you don't give a shit and having your team unprepared for a home Egg Bowl is unacceptable.

I'm also saying that yes Dan can be replaced contrary to what you believe or want to believe. It's ridiculous to believe that we can't and it's also chicken little as Dan is average at best as a head coach. Congrats to him for being more competent than Felker and Croom though.

You're calling me chicken little but your whole premise is based around us going 7-5 or 6-6 this year. Okay.***

Pollodawg
08-15-2016, 08:50 PM
I guess we will indeed see. But one particular poster on here had a huge grudge against Mullen last seaosn when things weren't peachy. And his talking points sound an awful lot like some of the talking points I'm hearing today. lol

Dawg61
08-15-2016, 09:14 PM

We will win atleast 8 games this year.

lamont
08-15-2016, 09:19 PM
We will win atleast 8 games this year.

then everything takes care of itself if that happens. I'm saying be prepared for the alternative

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 08:54 AM
You're calling me chicken little but your whole premise is based around us going 7-5 or 6-6 this year. Okay.***

Where did I say that? I said our floor is 6 wins.

I'm just saying the reality is he can be replaced and we can realistically do better.

Bubb Rubb
08-16-2016, 09:21 AM
at a time when OM was a trainwreck and A&M wasnt in the West. That couldnt happen today.

I disagree.....that was a pretty stout football team - much better than they got credit for. And that was mullen at his best - creative running game setting up a very basic passing attack that worked because defenses were geared on stopping the run. We haven't seen much of that offense since then, but I hope it makes a return this year.

HSVDawg
08-16-2016, 10:18 AM

What has been said that its ok if he chooses to leave. We will be fine. What I have also pointed out is that what EVERY FAN needs to watch for this season is how we finish. 7-5 or 6-6 finish and a 3rd straight Egg Bowl loss- we arent going to extend Mullen's contract. That puts him down to 2 years left on his deal and on the hotseat. That means in 2017 we will play Bama and LSU at home- and our toss-up games on the road. Thats typically not a schedule for success.

These next 2 years are going to be extremely interesting to see what happens. Does Mullen keep winning at least 8 games? Do we slide back to 6 or 7 wins? Could worse happen? We shall see. The West is interesting this year and next.

My question is what if we finish 8-4 with a third straight Egg Bowl loss? Do we extend him then? To me there really isn't much difference between 8-4 or 7-5 if we lose the Egg Bowl either way. Its hard to say, "Well Dan, we would have given you an extension but you lost that Arkansas game, so no dice."

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 11:22 AM
Where did I say that? I said our floor is 6 wins.

I'm just saying the reality is he can be replaced and we can realistically do better.

My bad that was C3... I mean Random Poster who said that.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 11:26 AM
My question is what if we finish 8-4 with a third straight Egg Bowl loss? Do we extend him then? To me there really isn't much difference between 8-4 or 7-5 if we lose the Egg Bowl either way. Its hard to say, "Well Dan, we would have given you an extension but you lost that Arkansas game, so no dice."

Yes, Dan gets an extension if HE wants an extension but he might not. Have you ever considered that maybe Dan only wants to sign extensions after a great year so that he can make the most money? If he signs an extension after a down year he may be forced to stay in that contract after a season when he could have demanded more.

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 11:34 AM

If he goes 8-4 in what should be a down year, yes, you extend him, even if he ends up with an egg bowl loss. 8-4 this year means we should be set up for 9 or 10 wins in 2017.

HSVDawg
08-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Yes, Dan gets an extension if HE wants an extension but he might not. Have you ever considered that maybe Dan only wants to sign extensions after a great year so that he can make the most money? If he signs an extension after a down year he may be forced to stay in that contract after a season when he could have demanded more.

He was not offered an extension after last season. That is a fact. I think the whole discussion is whether Strick / Keenum should offer him an extension after this season and what variables affect that decision. Whether or not he signs it is on him, and pretty much irrelevant to the current topic.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 11:41 AM
I seriously wonder whether the people who are disgruntled about Mullen serve in leadership positions in their profession or in the community. My experience shows me that everything NEVER goes the way that you want it to go. In leadership you always find yourself having to make do with what you have right now on the way to something better. For Mullen it's called building a football program.

How quickly we forget what shape this program was in after Sherrill and Croom's tenure. Both of them left this place a wreck. Mullen is still building the brand of Mississippi State football in the minds of not only recruits but his coaching peers. Not everyone can do that. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Also, leaders realize that there are often things that go on behind the scenes that onlookers do not understand. Yes, you could start this guy or recruit that way but it would only be a temporary fix because it would kill the morale of your team. Look at Auburn where it looks like Gus has lost his locker room. How does that happen? Easy. When you place talent before responsibility and it spreads like a disease through your entire program.

If you are paying attention you will realize that Mullen is coaching for the long haul. Yes, OM has a run going on us but they are about to be buried by the NCAA because of it. Yes, JWS had some good years but at all three of his jobs he could not sustain it over four or five years. That's only one great signing class. Mullen has done it with totally different casts of characters as players and coaches.

So once again. Calm down. Be patient. Let the man work. When he leaves or if we have to let him go we will be in a better position than when he came in to move to the next level.

lamont
08-16-2016, 11:58 AM
He was not offered an extension after last season. That is a fact. I think the whole discussion is whether Strick / Keenum should offer him an extension after this season and what variables affect that decision. Whether or not he signs it is on him, and pretty much irrelevant to the current topic.

He wasn't offered an extension after this past season because of all the job shopping. I think if he goes 8-4 he gets an extension even with an EB loss.

I don't see how 2017 is setting up big. We lose a lot of good players- plus a lot on the OL. Then the schedule flips on us with Bama and LSU at home with the toss ups on the road.

RocketCityDawg
08-16-2016, 11:59 AM

You people? Hahaha

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I seriously wonder whether the people who are disgruntled about Mullen serve in leadership positions in their profession or in the community. My experience shows me that everything NEVER goes the way that you want it to go. In leadership you always find yourself having to make do with what you have right now on the way to something better. For Mullen it's called building a football program.

How quickly we forget what shape this program was in after Sherrill and Croom's tenure. Both of them left this place a wreck. Mullen is still building the brand of Mississippi State football in the minds of not only recruits but his coaching peers. Not everyone can do that. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Also, leaders realize that there are often things that go on behind the scenes that onlookers do not understand. Yes, you could start this guy or recruit that way but it would only be a temporary fix because it would kill the morale of your team. Look at Auburn where it looks like Gus has lost his locker room. How does that happen? Easy. When you place talent before responsibility and it spreads like a disease through your entire program.

If you are paying attention you will realize that Mullen is coaching for the long haul. Yes, OM has a run going on us but they are about to be buried by the NCAA because of it. Yes, JWS had some good years but at all three of his jobs he could not sustain it over four or five years. That's only one great signing class. Mullen has done it with totally different casts of characters as players and coaches.

So once again. Calm down. Be patient. Let the man work. When he leaves or if we have to let him go we will be in a better position than when he came in to move to the next level.

Very well said.

lamont
08-16-2016, 12:04 PM

what Mississippi is doing is a very small part of the way myself and others feel.

It's about holding on to the poorest recruiter on staff and being subpar at his position talent wise
It's about job searching every November and hurting recruiting
It's about being 3-22 vs Saban, Miles, Sumlin, and Freezus

As I keep saying- we'll see what happens this season

HSVDawg
08-16-2016, 12:20 PM
If he goes 8-4 in what should be a down year, yes, you extend him, even if he ends up with an egg bowl loss. 8-4 this year means we should be set up for 9 or 10 wins in 2017.

I certainly agree. But there are circumstances that might also warrant offering an extension even if he only goes 7-5 and loses to OM. For instance, if we lose all 5 games by a TD or less, or if we lose one game on some freakish play like the Alex Collins backwards pass against OM or the prayer at Jordan Hare, you still definitely give him the extension. Then you have to consider how hard we get hit by injuries and many other factors. The whole talk that the extension will only be based on overall record and the Egg Bowl result is way overly simplistic. The actual decision makers will be looking a lot more in depth than that.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 01:25 PM
what Mississippi is doing is a very small part of the way myself and others feel.

It's about holding on to the poorest recruiter on staff and being subpar at his position talent wise

Saban is Saban at Alabama. Beating them means you are in the NC discussion.
Miles coaches LSU. We've beaten them once in Death Valley at night which most teams cannot say. Before Mullen got this program on track from where it was under Croom there couldn't have been an expectation that we actually beat them.
Sumlin had Johnny Manziel for two years and it happens that Dak's mother died the week of this game.
OM has been cheating their arse off and about to be hammered. Without chewing they would not have a better record than us over top teams. But even with it they have they same 19 wins in the last two seasons.

Pollodawg
08-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Wish I could give this rep a thousand times.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2016, 02:00 PM
I find it pretty short sighted to base any of Dan Mullen's extension talk off of the outcome of the Egg Bowl.

Everyone wants to find an objective measure by which to evaluate Mullen, but it's subjective. I want to see our program continuing to move in the right direction, I want to see progress on the OL, I want to see progress at RB, I want to see us develop another QB. If Mullen does all that well & we only win 7 or 8 games, then I don't see why the outcome of a 60 minute football game would have anything to do with whether Mullen is the right coach for the future of MSU.

Plus, everyone seems to selectively forget that Ole Miss is a unionized football team that won't hardly exist in 1 to 2 years. Why would you base the performance of a coach that does things the right way vs his performance against a unionized team?

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
I certainly agree. But there are circumstances that might also warrant offering an extension even if he only goes 7-5 and loses to OM. For instance, if we lose all 5 games by a TD or less, or if we lose one game on some freakish play like the Alex Collins backwards pass against OM or the prayer at Jordan Hare, you still definitely give him the extension. Then you have to consider how hard we get hit by injuries and many other factors. The whole talk that the extension will only be based on overall record and the Egg Bowl result is way overly simplistic. The actual decision makers will be looking a lot more in depth than that.

I completely agree. I was just saying that an extension after 8-4 is a no brainer.

If A&M ends up playing up to their talent, and Arkansas takes a step forward, and neither UM nor Auburn let locker room/off the field issuse impact them, then 7-5 and being competitive in every game is more worthy of an extension than 8-4 will be if A&M and Auburn both end up imploding and we lose to Bama, LSU, UM, and Arkansas, in which case we could have a 2012 type year where we have a good regular season record while not beating any team that's better than average. But 8-4, pretty much anyway we get there, is worthy of an extension. Even if we don't beat anybody but non-conference teams and SEC teams that are imploding, Mullen would deserve an extension for basically keeping MSU with Bama and LSU as far as the only programs in the West that have avoided imploding in the last seven years.

Johnson85
08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

I get frustrated as hell at some of Dan's weaknesses, but it's idiotic to zero in on weaknesses when actually determining whether you want him to stay. If you want a coach taht is not frustrating as hell to committed fans, you basically get to choose between Saban and Saban. The question is whether you think we are realistically likely to upgrade if he leaves, and the answer is no. Other people can certainly win here, but lots of SEC teams manage to 17 up hires. Our highly optimistic scenario would be to hire somebody that manages to repeat what Mullen has done. Our likely scenario is somebody comes in and wins some but with a floor that drops to 5 wins. You don't encourage Mullen to leave in order to roll the dice with a new guy. Even if we win 6 this year and 6 the next, you keep with him as long as he is trying to get better (and he pretty much has attempted to address every weakness other than Hev).

HSVDawg
08-16-2016, 03:44 PM
I get frustrated as hell at some of Dan's weaknesses, but it's idiotic to zero in on weaknesses when actually determining whether you want him to stay. If you want a coach taht is not frustrating as hell to committed fans, you basically get to choose between Saban and Saban. The question is whether you think we are realistically likely to upgrade if he leaves, and the answer is no. Other people can certainly win here, but lots of SEC teams manage to 17 up hires. Our highly optimistic scenario would be to hire somebody that manages to repeat what Mullen has done. Our likely scenario is somebody comes in and wins some but with a floor that drops to 5 wins. You don't encourage Mullen to leave in order to roll the dice with a new guy. Even if we win 6 this year and 6 the next, you keep with him as long as he is trying to get better (and he pretty much has attempted to address every weakness other than Hev).

Good post. Another point worth mentioning is that its been explictly stated that "no one is talking about firing Mullen". But implicitly, when talking about not offering extensions for a couple of years in a row, you are essentially talking about running him off which is more or less the same thing. That is especially true in Mississippi when the max contract length is only 4 years to begin with. No head coach in this state is going to stick around at any job if he has only 2 guaranteed years on the horizon even if he hasn't been fired. You'll see Mullen bolt out of here at light speed if an extension isn't signed at the end of this year, regardless of whether he deserves it or not. And he may decide to go anyways even if one is offered. So if Strick and Keenum decide not to offer him an extension this year, they do need to strongly consider the implications before doing so.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 04:01 PM

Good grief, man, you have just managed to make the most rational, reasonable, well thought out post yet! Mullen is frustrating at times but he's done a dang good job building a winner at a school without a lot of history. I wonder if he did get rid of hev, what would move up to number one on the complaint list lol. All you have to do is look around to see how easy it is to screw up hires. Tennessee still hasn't recovered since they got rid of fulmer, UF screwed up hiring muschamp,etc.,,
It took Bowden 11 years before he started winning 10+ games a year, it took Beamer a decade, it took Oregon over a decade, and the list goes on and on. We in pretty good shape with Dan!

BrokerDawg
08-16-2016, 04:27 PM
If Nick Saban is the ultimate standard by which modern day coaches are judged, then I would say Dan is ahead of schedule. Go back and look at his record at Michigan State. And Dan inherited a program in much worse shape and in a lot tougher conference, much less division. I hope he is here for a long time, buy when he does leave as all coaches do, any success we are able to sustain will have a lot to do with what he did while here. I swear we are our own worst enemies! All coaches make decisions that frustrate their fan base.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 04:44 PM
If Nick Saban is the ultimate standard by which modern day coaches are judged, then I would say Dan is ahead of schedule. Go back and look at his record at Michigan State. And Dan inherited a program in much worse shape and in a lot tougher conference, much less division. I hope he is here for a long time, buy when he does leave as all coaches do, any success we are able to sustain will have a lot to do with what he did while here. I swear we are our own worst enemies! All coaches make decisions that frustrate their fan base.

All you have to do is look at the Bama melt after the unm loss last year. They were all ready to fire Saban, saying things like he got complacent, lost his fire, bad decision maker, blah, blah, blah. All that sound familiar? Our society is now one of instant gratification. People don't have patience to watch someone build something it has to be right now. I, for one, like stability even if that's not popular right now. I believe Dan is learning and growing as a coach. Can you imagine the melt if he left and won a NC somewhere else?

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 04:49 PM

This is how I feel although I would like to see some more creativity on offense as well.

Todd4State
08-16-2016, 04:53 PM
I find it pretty short sighted to base any of Dan Mullen's extension talk off of the outcome of the Egg Bowl.

Everyone wants to find an objective measure by which to evaluate Mullen, but it's subjective. I want to see our program continuing to move in the right direction, I want to see progress on the OL, I want to see progress at RB, I want to see us develop another QB. If Mullen does all that well & we only win 7 or 8 games, then I don't see why the outcome of a 60 minute football game would have anything to do with whether Mullen is the right coach for the future of MSU.

Plus, everyone seems to selectively forget that Ole Miss is a unionized football team that won't hardly exist in 1 to 2 years. Why would you base the performance of a coach that does things the right way vs his performance against a unionized team?

They are a big factor for us if for no other reason than they are in state. We will have a chance to bury them again. Will Dan do it? Or will he continue to recruit questionably and allow them to stay around?

A good coach should be able to completely send Ole Miss to Vanderbilt territory. We let them off the hook in 1995. We can't allow it to happen again.

Commercecomet24
08-16-2016, 05:17 PM
They are a big factor for us if for no other reason than they are in state. We will have a chance to bury them again. Will Dan do it? Or will he continue to recruit questionably and allow them to stay around?

A good coach should be able to completely send Ole Miss to Vanderbilt territory. We let them off the hook in 1995. We can't allow it to happen again.

Absolutely right in that we have a chance to bury them and we need too. Dan has hired the right people to recruit at a high level both in state and nationally this past offseason. Dan had become frustrated with the level of unm cheating and nothing being done. The reason he was looking around so hard last year. He has worked hard to build us the right way and then freeze and company come in taking shortcuts. I would be frustrated too! After it got real for unm with the NCAA he got re energized. He has a chance to bury them now. I agree a good coach will step on their throat at this point . We shall see.

lamont
08-16-2016, 06:41 PM

Nobody is saying fire him. But 6-6 and 2-6 in the SEC is not going to get him a contract extension. We can hire anybody to do that.
You guys keep trying to compare to Croom- you cant do that. No AD makes that terrible hire other than LT. To add to that, we are in an different era now than when Crooms was coach. Our budget is much larger. We have a bowled in stadium on one end now, SEC Network. SEC Prestige is much higher. We have 4 built in OOC wins every year now. 2-6 in the SEC is not good- and you dont reward that.

We'll see what happens this season and where things may go from there. Its going to be interesting.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Nobody is saying fire him. But 6-6 and 2-6 in the SEC is not going to get him a contract extension. We can hire anybody to do that.
You guys keep trying to compare to Croom- you cant do that. No AD makes that terrible hire other than LT. To add to that, we are in an different era now than when Crooms was coach. Our budget is much larger. We have a bowled in stadium on one end now, SEC Network. SEC Prestige is much higher. We have 4 built in OOC wins every year now. 2-6 in the SEC is not good- and you dont reward that.

We'll see what happens this season and where things may go from there. Its going to be interesting.

Why are you so obsessed about us going 6-6 and 2-6 in the SEC? Even if he does it would not be the end of the world as you are saying. TWO YEARS AGO WE WERE #1 FOR 5 WEEKS!!! Not everyone can do that. Freeze hasn't, Richt never did, miles struggles to, Sumlin hasn't, Butch Jones hasn't...

Let me spell it out since you don't seem to understand. I AM SATISFIED WITH THE PROGRESS OF OUR PROGRAM!!! That doesn't make me a chicken little (I'm predicting at least 8 wins this year). It doesn't mean that I am glossing over deficiencies in the OL. It means that I trust Mullen more than I trust Monday morning QBs from the comfort of their couch.

lamont
08-16-2016, 07:48 PM
It means that I trust Mullen more than I trust Monday morning QBs from the comfort of their couch.

You can trust who you want- but the Monday Morning QB was the one that told you Mullen was trying like Hell to get out of Starkville. And you challenged the MMQB and said he was wrong- but he turned out to be right. You were WRONG on that. Soooooooo, be careful who you trust

If Mullen goes 8-4 as you say- then all this doesnt matter. But if we go 6-6 or so- then there is going to be alot of rumblings. We didnt extend him after last season- and we wont extend him again. Thats all I'm saying

confucius say
08-16-2016, 08:40 PM

Yea but arky and auburn were top 5 teams.

Reason2succeed
08-16-2016, 09:00 PM
You can trust who you want- but the Monday Morning QB was the one that told you Mullen was trying like Hell to get out of Starkville. And you challenged the MMQB and said he was wrong- but he turned out to be right. You were WRONG on that. Soooooooo, be careful who you trust

If Mullen goes 8-4 as you say- then all this doesnt matter. But if we go 6-6 or so- then there is going to be alot of rumblings. We didnt extend him after last season- and we wont extend him again. Thats all I'm saying

But you just got here this July?!?***