PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Figure Out Bo Bounds View Towards MSU Football

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Listening to Bo Bounds this morning & I can't figure out how he views MSU's program.

When talking to Steve Robertson, he ask Steve if this year's defense could be the best under Mullen.

Then when talking to Brad Edwards he brags about how MSU is the first Mississippi school since integration to go to 6 straight bowl games.

Yet, when Brad Edwards says, "one of MSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, & Arkansas will surprise this season & finish in the top 3 of the West." Bo states, "it won't be MSU"

I just don't get the emotional see-saw where he's praising the program one moment & degrading it the next moment. Not only that, but Brad Edwards is a national ESPN guy that Bo is shaping a negative opinion of MSU's program with. I don't get it.

Am I missing where MSU fans should be ashamed of our football team? We are successful program, yet somehow because we DON'T cheat our asses off in recruiting, we are degraded. I'm trying to understand why the most rouge program in the NCAA is praised on a day to day basis, yet one that does things the right way isn't?

Why would an MSU grad shape a negative perception of our football team with a national ESPN guy after asking another guest if this is MSU's best defense since Mullen has been here?

I guess I'm confused. Is there something cool about downgrading Mississippi State to national writers? Why would an MSU grad do this?

I really like Bo's show, but his attitude towards this team is inconsistent, distasteful, & doesn't make a ton of sense

Gridirondawg
08-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Wait, we cheat our asses off? What Hack told you that? Anyway, I agree with what I think you are TRYING to say here.

Jack Lambert
08-12-2016, 09:18 AM
It's called two face. I stop listening to him two years ago.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 09:20 AM
It's called two face. I stop listening to him two years ago.

It's extremely two faced, but I don't get why he does it or even if he realizes he does it.

msstate7
08-12-2016, 09:20 AM
So, which one of Alabama, lsu, and om is Edwards saying won't finish top 3?

BB30
08-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Well, I don't necessarily know the answer but looking at it objectively A&M has owned us and everyone thinks Arkansas has a chance to be really good this year. I would love for us to be in the top three but it is going to take us beating all three of those teams which we can do since we have them at home but it will be tough. We would also have to beat Alabama LSU or OM which will be tough. And Arkansas managed to beat two of those three and played Bama really well last year. Also, Arkansas has done really well against LSU the last couple of years so I think they would probably be the front runner on that from a national perspective even though we have owned them the last few years. Now I think Auburn shouldn't even be in the discussion. But it does suck that a Mississippi media person wouldn't back us up. We just have some question marks at some pretty key positions.

mparkerfd20
08-12-2016, 09:26 AM
Once you realize Bo only cares about the bottom line and is basically scum, you won't ponder these questions anymore.

MadDawg
08-12-2016, 09:32 AM
I really like Bo's show, but his attitude towards this team is inconsistent, distasteful, & doesn't make a ton of sense

So Bo's takes are:

1. He thinks we will have a very good defense
2. He thinks MSU is on a great run of making bowl games
3. He thinks MSU will not finish in the top 3 in the SECW

And that is inconsistent? Distasteful? Maybe I'm missing something....

JoseBrown
08-12-2016, 09:34 AM
He tells folks what he thinks they want to hear when it concerns State, but always takes the chance to pump ole miss up. He thinks that's what it will take to get his program to where he wants it to go. Maybe so, but it gets old very quick to this State guy...

DawgPoundLazer
08-12-2016, 09:35 AM
It's about ratings and numbers. He is trying to balance it out between TSUN and us in order not to alienate TSUN listeners. He doesn't want to sound like a homer. Otherwise, his ratings/numbers would drop and advertising $ would struggle. He has the prime morning spot, so he has to try and appeal to all listeners. On a side note, his sidekick Jackson is awful.....absolutely awful

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Well, I don't necessarily know the answer but looking at it objectively A&M has owned us and everyone thinks Arkansas has a chance to be really good this year. I would love for us to be in the top three but it is going to take us beating all three of those teams which we can do since we have them at home but it will be tough. We would also have to beat Alabama LSU or OM which will be tough. And Arkansas managed to beat two of those three and played Bama really well last year. Also, Arkansas has done really well against LSU the last couple of years so I think they would probably be the front runner on that from a national perspective even though we have owned them the last few years. Now I think Auburn shouldn't even be in the discussion. But it does suck that a Mississippi media person wouldn't back us up. We just have some question marks at some pretty key positions.

Who the hell has said Arkansas should be good?

They lost all their impact players & only really return players to a defense that was below average. I would say Arkansas & Auburn are the front runners to finish last & Texas A&M or us are front runner to be a surprise.

Check out Arkansas Schedule:

Louisiana Tech - 90% chance of win
@ TCU - 65% chance of loss
Texas State - 99% chance of win
Texas A&M in Arlington - 70% chance of loss
Alcorn State in Little Rock - 99% chance of win
Alabama - 90% chance of loss
Ole Miss - 50/50
@ Auburn - 50/50
Florida - 55% chance of loss
LSU - 60% chance of loss
@ Mississippi State - 60% chance of loss
@ Missouri - 60% chance of win

I've only got Arkansas legitmately favored in 4 games. I think there is a reasonable chance they could win 8, but it's going to take some above average efforts

msstate7
08-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Auburn, Arkansas, and us have question marks at qb.

None of the above 3 were that great at defense last year.

All 3 lost their best offensive player

I don't see why Arkansas and auburn are better than us

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 09:40 AM
So Bo's takes are:

No one thinks that MSU will finish in the top 3 in the West. It's that he completely dismissed that MSU could be a surprise team. It's also the degrading tone that uses when talking about the program.

It's almost like he praises MSU for being consistent, but the same time degrades them because he doesn't think MSU "gets it". The turns around a praises the most filthy program in NCAA football.

BB30
08-12-2016, 09:42 AM
I didn't say they are better than us I said national perception is that they have a better chance of finishing 3rd in the conference. Personally, I don't think any of the listed will have a realistic chance at finishing 3rd unless LSU, Bama or more likely Ole Miss fall off. Say what you want but Arkansas has done better against those three then any of the others listed the last couple of years. I also stated Auburn shouldn't be in the discussion. So out of the teams listed you think that we have the best chance to finish 3rd? We play the three toughest games on the road of which we have to win at least one to have a shot. Most likely win is OM on the road. By that alone it does not matter what we do against the listed teams as a couple of those teams have a better shot due to playing at home. Arkansas has all three of those games at home.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't see why Arkansas and auburn are better than us

They aren't & we play both at home. I'm not saying that we will be all that good, but I think these teams will be worse & we play them at home.

I think our game with Texas A&M will be for 4th in the West & then, if we upset someone or another team collapses, we could sneak in at 3rd

JoseBrown
08-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Well, there he went again... Teams Auburn should normally beat each year- MSU, SCar, Ark..

TNDawg35
08-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Well, there he went again... Teams Auburn should normally beat each year- MSU, SCar, Ark..

Every yr is the same with Auburn. They are always over hyped in preseason. Look at last yr. Hell, they said dude was gonna win the Heisman but he couldn't even make a throw... Same old same old.... Nor does it matter that we have owned them since Mullen got here and should have beat them when they had Scam...

the59dawg
08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Listening to Bo Bounds this morning & I can't figure out how he views MSU's program.

When talking to Steve Robertson, he ask Steve if this year's defense could be the best under Mullen.

Then when talking to Brad Edwards he brags about how MSU is the first Mississippi school since integration to go to 6 straight bowl games.

Yet, when Brad Edwards says, "one of MSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, & Arkansas will surprise this season & finish in the top 3 of the West." Bo states, "it won't be MSU"

I just don't get the emotional see-saw where he's praising the program one moment & degrading it the next moment. Not only that, but Brad Edwards is a national ESPN guy that Bo is shaping a negative opinion of MSU's program with. I don't get it.

Am I missing where MSU fans should be ashamed of our football team? We are successful program, yet somehow because we DON'T cheat our asses off in recruiting, we are degraded. I'm trying to understand why the most rouge program in the NCAA is praised on a day to day basis, yet one that does things the right way isn't?

Why would an MSU grad shape a negative perception of our football team with a national ESPN guy after asking another guest if this is MSU's best defense since Mullen has been here?

I guess I'm confused. Is there something cool about downgrading Mississippi State to national writers? Why would an MSU grad do this?

You are not short with words. Why don't you tell Bo what you think. Especially if you don't care what Bo thinks of you.

mic
08-12-2016, 10:16 AM
So, which one of Alabama, lsu, and om is Edwards saying won't finish top 3?

That's an easy one ... And it's not Bama or LSU...

Jarius
08-12-2016, 10:16 AM
I think Bo's show is pretty good and I think he does a good job of hammering dumbass Ole Miss fans that think this NCAA stuff is minor. I don't see how he or anyone else could think that a team like Ole Miss whose o/u win total in Vegas is 7.5 games, has recruits from mediocre (by SEC west standards) classes making up the majority of their roster (2013 class is gone, 2012 class was ranked horribly, 2014&15 classes were nothing special) is going to contend for the West this year. They are recruiting nowhere near the level needed to lose 3 first round draft picks in 1 year and compete for the SEC. It's mindboggling that anyone thinks they have a snowball's chance in hell to win more than 8 games this year with that schedule.

maroonmania
08-12-2016, 11:34 AM
So Bo's takes are:

I've listened to him enough to know that he likes MSU (heck, he went to school at MSU) BUT, he will always go overboard not to be homeristic towards MSU because he knows how sensitive the UNM fans are about it and he doesn't want to lose them being listeners to his show. There is ZERO doubt in MS, whether its Bo Bounds, the CL or any other state wide program or newspaper that they are much more concerned about losing UNM fans and sponsors than they are MSU fans and sponsors.

spbdawg
08-12-2016, 11:45 AM
#

dawgday166
08-12-2016, 11:53 AM

I think he's being realistic and objective. Only once under Mullen has MSU finished higher than 4th. Last year we finished 6th (but we won 8 games!!!) We just don't finish higher than 4th with exception of 2014. I believe Bo's being positive/optimistic where he can be though.

A lot of folks seem to think we "deserve" more respect. I'm wondering why everyone keeps getting so bent out of shape about that (I used to also) ... but you gotta earn it. When we do make a little bit of a splash and media types start giving us credit (like 2014) then we bomb out down the stretch. And with exception of 2013 in baseball and 1996 in basketball, that is usually the way it is.

cheewgumm
08-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I think what hes saying is fair.

Though I don't think any of those teams will be 3rd. We could be the best of all the choices, I agree.

biggun
08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Brad Edwards is from Jackson, Ms. He went to Jackson Academy and then Alabama for college. He landed the ESPN job 15-20 years ago mainly to figure out the BCS regarding a team's rating and rating possibilities to make it to the title game. Anyway, Brad knows all about MSU & Ole Miss, Bo did no damage to our rep with Brad.

Bo just calls it like he sees it. I heard his show this morning and he did hammer our OL & our OL recruiting and he doesn't like our RB's this season or our RB recruiting the last 2-3 seasons. I can't disagree about either position group

BeastMan
08-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Once you realize Bo only cares about the bottom line and is basically scum, you won't ponder these questions anymore.

He's "basically scum"? You know the guy or something? Dude is a radio host on ESPN radio. I don't know what business you're in but the bottom line is pretty important to me also. I guess if he left his job and did a podcast on BSR for $100 a month he's be a better Bulldog lol

mparkerfd20
08-12-2016, 12:21 PM
He's "basically scum"? You know the guy or something? Dude is a radio host on ESPN radio. I don't know what business you're in but the bottom line is pretty important to me also. I guess if he left his job and did a podcast on BSR for $100 a month he's be a better Bulldog lol

Yes. Most radio personalities fit into that audience of 'scum', however. Pawllll being one of the biggest. I prefer the term scum to 'douchebag' or something similar that's been used here before to describe Bo and others in radio.

Anyway, way to take one phrase out of what I wrote and ignore the point I was making. The point being that radio personalities are going to almost always say whatever it takes to keep the ratings and $$ flowing.

msbulldog
08-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Bo is just playing to his audience, just like Finebaum. I listen to him pretty much every day and there's no doubt he's for MSU, just like there's no doubt Finebaum is a gump. Jackson is pretty much pro-MSU.

fader2103
08-12-2016, 12:49 PM
I think Bo is that sports guy who doesn't try to be a sports guy. I do listen to him in the mornings bc honestly I have nothing else to on the way to work. I do get tired of him talking about how he grew up around coaches and his weekend get-a-ways to concerts and beaches. I listen to him for sports not his wanna be glory days as a point guard

sandwolf
08-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Yes. Most radio personalities fit into that audience of 'scum', however. Pawllll being one of the biggest. I prefer the term scum to 'douchebag' or something similar that's been used here before to describe Bo and others in radio.

Anyway, way to take one phrase out of what I wrote and ignore the point I was making. The point being that radio personalities are going to almost always say whatever it takes to keep the ratings and $$ flowing.

When I hear someone referred to as 'scum', I picture someone similar to an ambulance chasing attorney that has absolutely no moral compass or integrity. When I hear someone referred to as a 'douchebag', I picture someone who I probably wouldn't enjoy hanging out with due to their personality (not due to their character)......and that is how most people interpret those terms. So maybe you ought to brush up on the definitions of the labels you choose to assign people, because there is nothing scummy about a radio host pandering to his audience in order to maximize his ratings....that's his job.

rolodawg
08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

As should be the case for any business owner...........Bottom Line Profit! Without it, you will either not be the boss or be homeless or a house husband/wife. I guess you would be ok if you were born with a silver spoon.

BeastMan
08-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Agreed that radio personalities say what they need to say to get ratings. Ratings is a measurable form of audience entertainment & engagement. I'm If you understand the business, I'm curious to why you think most radio hosts are douchebags or scum? That's kind of a crazy jump imo. Let's be real here, even a preacher has to be charismatic & entertaining or the collection plate won't be as full. Does that make all successful preachers scumbags too?

mparkerfd20
08-12-2016, 02:16 PM
My Lord I would've just called ****er a douchebag if I knew it would cause this much conversation. I know what the 2 mean.

Bothrops
08-12-2016, 02:38 PM
He does this for ratings and to stir up callers. It's the nature of the business.