PDA

View Full Version : Staley

msstate7
08-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Rumor on SPS that he gone. Anyone confirm?

the59dawg
08-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Over on 247 Paul posted some notes someone gave him on the scrimmage and he mentioned all 4 QB's were equally rotating with 1's, 2's, and 3's.

missouridawg
08-11-2016, 11:01 PM
This is the product of Joel T Coleman creating a story. While I agree that Staley is likely to transfer if he doesn't win the job, friendly MSU media would've found a different story to write.

Yet another thing, we as a school, need to get better at.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2016, 11:20 PM
They said it on SixPackSpeaks so it must be true.***

Leroy Jenkins
08-11-2016, 11:23 PM
This is the product of Joel T Coleman creating a story. While I agree that Staley is likely to transfer if he doesn't win the job, friendly MSU media would've found a different story to write.

Yet another thing, we as a school, need to get better at.

http://memeshappen.com/media/created/WHO--meme-45475.jpg

missouridawg
08-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Joel is a writes for the Starkville Daily News and has a show on BSR. He asked Mullen about a QB transfer in ******* first presser before practice started.... Everyone then speculated it would be Staley because Fitz appears to be the leader, Damian is in his last year, and Tiano is a freshman..... So now Staley, instead of answering questions about practice, is getting peppered with questions about transferring.

A media-generated distraction....

Bass Chaser
08-11-2016, 11:34 PM
Damian is actually a Rs JR.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Rumor on SPS that he gone. Anyone confirm?

You guys might as well prepare for it. It's good to have a good stable of QB's to battle for the job, but you have to look at his view point. Fitz is clearly better than him. I would say Tiano very well might be and then there is D.Williams who is in the mix and then we got one next year coming in who might end up being better than all of them. If he don't leave, someone surely will and you can't really blame them.

archdog
08-12-2016, 10:55 AM
It's a good problem to have.

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 11:07 AM
You guys might as well prepare for it. It's good to have a good stable of QB's to battle for the job, but you have to look at his view point. Fitz is clearly better than him. I would say Tiano very well might be and then there is D.Williams who is in the mix and then we got one next year coming in who might end up being better than all of them. If he don't leave, someone surely will and you can't really blame them.

I have no problem with him leaving, but neither he nor us gets any benefit if he leaves before the season. He's not going to JUCO as he's already been here two years. And he's not going to pick up a whole new offense somewhere else in two weeks, so he'd be on the bench for probably half the year even at an FCS school. He might as well at least stick it out through the year, and who knows what happens if somebody gets hurt or struggles in the actual games. That may not be how it shakes out, but its definitely the optimal situation for us.

bulldawg28
08-12-2016, 11:14 AM
If he doesn't leave he'll play this year and still have a chance to start some games.

Corn Bread
08-12-2016, 11:39 AM
If he doesn't leave he'll play this year and still have a chance to start some games.

Regardless of the outcome Staley is a damn fine young man who has represented MSU well. My sister knows his mom and has met him several times. She only had good things to say about him starting with his manners.

mparkerfd20
08-12-2016, 12:06 PM
He's gone. He posted it on twitter:

https://twitter.com/ES14_/status/764144715516305408

mparkerfd20
08-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Some here do know what they're talking about and called this months ago.

DancingRabbit
08-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Well, it's a done deal. Staley gone.

https://twitter.com/ES14_/status/764144715516305408

Gutter Cobreh
08-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Not sure about the timing of it, but can't argue if the kid wants to leave and feels like he has a better shot somewhere else.

Seems to be a nice young man. The announcement, even via twitter, hits all the right marks. I would have preferred to see him stick it out through this year.

Hope Tiano is capable of stepping in if Fitzgerald goes down.

starkvegasdawg
08-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Amazing how in just a few short years we went from a school that has gone from having a barely serviceable QB as starter to a dpeth chart so deep with quality QB's that we're losing one and it's not a major calamity.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2016, 12:12 PM
This was coming for a while. At least now I don't have to read Cam comparisons to a kid that is a nice player, but not a great QB.

I hope he does well wherever he goes, he got a bad rap from our fanbase because he liked to have a good time on sidelines.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Hope Tiano is capable of stepping in if Fitzgerald goes down.

My guess is that Damien will be the backup.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Good luck Staley! Thank you for being a Bulldog & I'll be rooting for you for the remainder of your career

msbulldog
08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Amazing how in just a few short years we went from a school that has gone from having a barely serviceable QB as starter to a dpeth chart so deep with quality QB's that we're losing one and it's not a major calamity.

^^^^Ain't that the truth, damn shame, wish him luck wherever he goes!

BankerDog
08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Coaching staff wants to give it to Tiano but are weary because he is a RFR

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 12:22 PM

What evidence do you have of this?

What's the problem with Fitz? He has bigger tools than Tiano

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't say bigger tools just more experience.

Prentis
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
This was coming for a while. At least now I don't have to read Cam comparisons to a kid that is a nice player, but not a great QB.

I hope he does well wherever he goes, he got a bad rap from our fanbase because he liked to have a good time on sidelines.

I totally agree with the second paragraph. Kid didn't have a snowballs chance in hell with some of our fans.

lamont
08-12-2016, 12:34 PM
And just like that-Random Poster nails the QB transfer.

We'll call it beginners luck

breazy
08-12-2016, 12:35 PM
please not auburn....please not auburn....

lamont
08-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I totally agree with the second paragraph. Kid didn't have a snowballs chance in hell with some of our fans.

That's not true. Had he come out and played well, he would have been fine. He lost the QB battle. Wish him well at his next stop

EngDawg
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Does this mean we avoid a two QB system?

Dawgfan77
08-12-2016, 12:42 PM

Hearing this also.

msbulldog
08-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Does this mean we avoid a two QB system?

Sure hope so.

fader2103
08-12-2016, 12:44 PM
I believe he had one of the best tight spirals I've seen in a while. Will probably catch on some where and win the NC and Heisman** good luck to the guy.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't say bigger tools just more experience.

Fitz is faster, quicker, & has equal to better arm strength. Fitz has play making ability. I like Tiano, but I'd have trouble giving you an elevator pitch about what he does.

What's his tool that is better than Fitz?

Give me one sentence that tells me what Tiano is:

Here is my one sentence for Fitz

Tall, athletic QB with a plus combination of speed, feet, & arm strength.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2016, 12:52 PM

I can believe it, but it's not surprising that our offensive coaching staff puckers up when it's time to be bold and aggressive.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Fitz is faster, quicker, & has equal to better arm strength. Fitz has play making ability. I like Tiano, but I'd have trouble giving you an elevator pitch about what he does.

What's his tool that is better than Fitz?

Give me one sentence that tells me what Tiano is:

Here is my one sentence for Fitz

Tall, athletic QB with a plus combination of speed, feet, & arm strength.

A leader that's a Tall, athletic QB with a plus combination of speed, feet, & arm strength

lamont
08-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Fitz started 1 year of HS football at QB- and ran the option while doing. He had been a WR until then. He threw very little. He still has a lot to learn about playing QB

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 12:56 PM
I can believe it, but it's not surprising that our offensive coaching staff puckers up when it's time to be bold and aggressive.

In the end, they have to play the best guy, but starting Tiano does come with consequences. For starters, Fitz & Williams will transfer, & then, if Tiano is legit, you risk Keytaon Thompson wondering why is will be signing with a school that has an entrenched starter that's only a SO.

The other side of the coin is that, if Tiano is legit, then do you really need Thompson?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 12:56 PM
A leader that's a Tall, athletic QB with a plus combination of speed, feet, & arm strength

Sums it up pretty well.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Ok, but Fitz is more athletic with a greater combination of speed, feet, & arm strength.

Look, I want the coaches to play the best guy even if that's Tiano, but from the small sample I've seen, Fitz is a more explosive human being.

Other than this subjective leadership mess, what skill/tool does Tiano have that Fitz does not?

Fitz is faster & more explosive. What is Tiano? Read, Go...

PassInterference
08-12-2016, 01:01 PM
I understand what happened. I don't question the decision. Just hate to see him go. I like the kid. I hope Staley is successful somewhere.

TimberBeast
08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

I was assuming he meant the back up job, not the starting job?

SallyStansbury
08-12-2016, 01:03 PM

I laughed.....

And Tiano may be able to get those coveted 4 yards up the middle on 3rd and 10, just think, he may be a little thicker than Fitz?

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I laughed.....

And Tiano may be able to get those coveted 4 yards up the middle on 3rd and 10, just think, he may be a little thicker than Fitz?

I want the guy that can take it to the house

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2016, 01:05 PM
In the end, they have to play the best guy, but starting Tiano does come with consequences. For starters, Fitz & Williams will transfer, & then, if Tiano is legit, you risk Keytaon Thompson wondering why is will be signing with a school that has an entrenched starter that's only a SO.

The other side of the coin is that, if Tiano is legit, then do you really need Thompson?

You're also showing Thompson that he has a shot to win the job if he's the best guy for the job. Plus injuries happen all the time and he could be the next man up. I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think Thompson will be scared of the competition.

DownwardDawg
08-12-2016, 01:09 PM
I wish Staley all the best. I hope he does well for himself. I never had anything bad to say about him other than there was no way he would ever be the starting QB at Mississippi State. It was not going to happen.

BrunswickDawg
08-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Fitz started 1 year of HS football at QB- and ran the option while doing. He had been a WR until then. He threw very little. He still has a lot to learn about playing QB

This. While I am a huge Fitz guy - everyone was questioning why we were offering this kid in the beginning because of exactly what you said (people have short memories). Fitz is a helluva athlete, good leader, etc. - but we are now at a watershed moment for the program. We will no longer need to take "developmental" projects for QB's because 4/5 star QB's want to come here. This is that transition point. Dak, Fitz, Staley, and Williams were all "developmental" guys. If we go with Tiano, its because he has been able to leap ahead of guys who haven't been QB's as long - and it means our program is taking a step forward in a big, big way.

I want Fitz to be the guy, but if its Tiano, its a very good thing. I hope our coaches have the balls to make the jump.

DownwardDawg
08-12-2016, 01:10 PM
The QB battle is for the backup position. And Fitz is not in that battle.

Dawgface
08-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Who do you see winning the job?

SallyStansbury
08-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I want the guy that can take it to the house

Me too man, I was just going with the pucker theme......

On a tangential note, while we are supposed to be starting a bunch of little guys @ WR who can fly (explosive, take it to the house, etc....) We are going to miss Bear and his downfield blocking. I saw that SEC network deal on our 60 min highlight show and while Bear caught his share of passes, he was destroying people to create lanes for Dak and Holloway to run. Wish he were still with us.

RougeDawg
08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Tiano is the better of the two. Fitz has more time in system. Simple. Now what do coaches do.

mcain31
08-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Ok, but Fitz is more athletic with a greater combination of speed, feet, & arm strength.

Look, I want the coaches to play the best guy even if that's Tiano, but from the small sample I've seen, Fitz is a more explosive human being.

Other than this subjective leadership mess, what skill/tool does Tiano have that Fitz does not?

Fitz is faster & more explosive. What is Tiano? Read, Go...

If the coaching staff wants to start, then Tiano is the better decision maker. I want the best decision maker to start not the best athlete. Unfortunately, we don't get to watch practice to see what the coaches see. The thing that I hear about Tiano is that he elevates the play of his teammates. I don't know Fitz does that, but I've heard that about Tiano since he was in high school.

RougeDawg
08-12-2016, 01:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there was a large boisterous group on here last year calling anyone who said Staley wouldn't be starter in 2016, an idiot, moron, dumbass, detached, etc. What happened to all these guys?

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2016, 01:18 PM
We went from Tyson Lee to having a 4 star QB transfer due to playing time. Mullen has done a great job in QB recruiting and development.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Tiano is the better of the two. Fitz has more time in system. Simple. Now what do coaches do.

What have your seen with your own two eyes that Tiano does better than Fitz?

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 01:24 PM
If the coaching staff wants to start, then Tiano is the better decision maker. I want the best decision maker to start not the best athlete. Unfortunately, we don't get to watch practice to see what the coaches see. The thing that I hear about Tiano is that he elevates the play of his teammates. I don't know Fitz does that, but I've heard that about Tiano since he was in high school.

Finally an answer that insinuates that Tiano isn't just magically better than Fitz with lesser physical tools. Is this hearsay or is this something you've actually seen?

DawgInMemphis
08-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Was he released to go anywhere, or are SEC schools prohobited?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-12-2016, 01:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CprJkAdWgAAowbI.jpg:large

mcain31
08-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Finally an answer that insinuates that Tiano isn't just magically better than Fitz with lesser physical tools. Is this hearsay or is this something you've actually seen?

It's hearsay as I haven't been able to see a practice, but it's what I've heard from others in Starkville

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 01:37 PM
What have your seen with your own two eyes that Tiano does better than Fitz?

The question could be asked what have you seen to know Fitz is better than Tiano? Both have only been seen in limited amounts.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2016, 01:39 PM
The question could be asked what have you seen to know Fitz is better than Tiano? Both have only been seen in limited amounts.

I would assume it is based on the same thing that people use to say that Fitz throws a better deep ball than Dak.

RiverCityDawg
08-12-2016, 01:41 PM

I'm on record as being a Fitz guy. But you know there is more to playing QB than having the physical tools, right? Throwing accuracy, leadership, decision making before and after the snap, etc. Again, I like Fitz, but it's not like Tiano is devoid of tools. He's 6-4 240 with above average athleticism. Physical runner and apparently really smart with great leadership. Arm doesn't look as strong as Fitz, but looks just as strong as Dak's. Fitz is better from what I've seen but I haven't seen either of them a ton. I'm guessing you haven't either. If Tiano is the starter I would take it as a really, really good sign.

TopDog58
08-12-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm on record as being a Fitz guy. But you know there is more to playing QB than having the physical tools, right? Throwing accuracy, leadership, decision making before and after the snap, etc. Again, I like Fitz, but it's not like Tiano is devoid of tools. He's 6-4 240 with above average athleticism. Physical runner and apparently really smart with great leadership. Arm doesn't look as strong as Fitz, but looks just as strong as Dak's. Fitz is better from what I've seen but I haven't seen either of them a ton. I'm guessing you haven't either. If Tiano is the starter I would take it as a really, really good sign.

This is the exact reason why our fan base is always our program's worst enemy. Why do we have fans that get so attached to a particular player that has NEVER started a game at MSU? We are having an argument about who is more deserving of being the starting QB between two players that have not played more than a handful of meaningful snaps at MSU. Why don't you let the coaches decide the battle and not who read today's third hand practice report from Jean or Steve or your buddy who knows someone in the athletic department.

And this was directed more toward Shotgun, i just happened to quote your response to him.

JoseBrown
08-12-2016, 01:51 PM
My guess is that Damien will be the backup.

Bet it will be Tiano. Then Damian.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 01:55 PM
In Mullen I Trust

Classy note by Staley. I wish him well.

Where do y'all think he goes? Don't say Auburn (even though I'm sure they'd take him about now because the last hand me down QB they got from Mullen won a NC) because SEC rules prevent that and Stricklin and our staff aren't that stupid. My bet is on Jackson State (Hughes may be running a similar offense) or ULaLa (Hud runs a similar offense and has taken our transfers before).

My bet is on Fitz as starter and Tiano getting some snaps in every game particular in goal line and short yardage situation a la early Tim Tebow and early Dak.

KentuckyDawg13
08-12-2016, 01:58 PM
I was going to post a clip from his bio on HailState stating he was the #18 high school QB in the country, along with being 4 star rated...but the MSU staff has already deleted his bio.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
As soon as I say that we're not stupid enough to allow Staley to transfer within the SEC this shows up

https://twitter.com/joeltcoleman/status/764173540459327488

JoseBrown
08-12-2016, 02:00 PM
The QB battle is for the backup position. And Fitz is not in that battle.

^^^^This^^^^^ And I can't wait for Thompson to get here, redshirt, spend a year on the sidelines and then takeover!!

mcain31
08-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Can Staley still possibly go to JuCo for the fall?

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Can Staley still possibly go to JuCo for the fall?

He could but it wouldn't really make sense to do so.

breazy
08-12-2016, 02:17 PM
it would make the most sense imo, it gives him the opportunity to play immediately and have a chance to get film and get back to D1 for a year.

Bothrops
08-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Shotgun- From my limited eyes-on time, I think Tiano is faster than Fitz with his feet. You could even say explosively quick for a body that size. Really surprised me. Passing wise, it's too close to call from my limited viewing.

lamont
08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
He could but it wouldn't really make sense to do so.

What? It makes perfect sense to do so. Staley needs playing time. The last thing he needs is another year of sitting

MSUDawg99
08-12-2016, 02:47 PM
In Mullen I Trust

Where do y'all think he goes? Don't say Auburn (even though I'm sure they'd take him about now because the last hand me down QB they got from Mullen won a NC) because SEC rules prevent that and Stricklin and our staff aren't that stupid. My bet is on Jackson State (Hughes may be running a similar offense) or ULaLa (Hud runs a similar offense and has taken our transfers before).

My bet is on Fitz as starter and Tiano getting some snaps in every game particular in goal line and short yardage situation a la early Tim Tebow and early Dak.

I had the very same thought about Damian Williams & thinking he would be good at JSU. Very very curious to see where Staley ends up though & certainly wish him well.

DawgHouseUnited
08-12-2016, 02:54 PM
We went from Tyson Lee to having a 4 star QB transfer due to playing time. Mullen has done a great job in QB recruiting and development.

This. My friend's HS freshman son plays qb and I keep harping on how Mullen develops players compared to others-that-shall-remain-nameless. Already trying to lay some groundwork...

Westdawg
08-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Please tell me that Staley will NOT go to an SEC school. that would give our opponents - whether this year or in coming few seasons - a major advantage in being able to pick his knowledge of our offense. that would be disastrous.

MSUDawg99
08-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Please tell me that Staley will NOT go to an SEC school. that would give our opponents - whether this year or in coming few seasons - a major advantage in being able to pick his knowledge of our offense. that would be disastrous.

He's free to transfer wherever, whether in SEC or not. Mullen is allowing him to.

Really Clark?
08-12-2016, 03:10 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he won't be at another SEC school this year.

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 03:11 PM
What? It makes perfect sense to do so. Staley needs playing time. The last thing he needs is another year of sitting

Well for one, it's a throwaway semester of classes that he doesn't need because he's already been here 2 years. Furthermore, even if its JUCO he still has to learn a new offense and win the job. That may take some time. And then he has to bolt again for another new offense and QB battle after that. I think he'd be better served to transfer down to FCS and maybe play this year, or transfer to an FBS school and spend the year sitting out to learn the offense. This is a throwaway year for his eligibility no matter what considering how quickly he is going to have to transition into a new system. He's also not Cam Newton and isn't going to walk into a JUCO and put up playstation numbers just based on his athleticism. It isn't gonna happen.

Westdawg
08-12-2016, 03:11 PM
i know Saban has had some negative pub lately over this kind of thing, BUT that player graduated, this guy could now end up going to an SEC west school

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Vandy was the other team he was considering out of high school. I am predicting that is where he goes.

Bothrops
08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Vandy was the other team he was considering out of high school. I am predicting that is where he goes.

I'd love to see him at Vandy, but they're a program that needs a mobile qb.

ILOATHEBears
08-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Who do you see winning the job?

I think it's safe to say that Nick will start this year

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't think we're too worried about him transferring to a SEC school.

Really Clark?
08-12-2016, 03:32 PM
He is transferring because he is not winning the job here and is running 3rd or 4th on our depth chart and we have no conference restrictions on his release. Come on guys, let's think a little before worrying about transferring to an SEC west school. Wish him the best but I think if he decides to sit, a CUSA or Sunbelt type of situation is probably the highest level he will receive some calls from.

HaggardDawg
08-12-2016, 03:38 PM
I've heard from more than one source within the program that the players love Tiano. Not saying they don't Fitz, but apparently Tiano is universally respected on the team.

fishwater99
08-12-2016, 03:43 PM

You can redshirt Thompson and he will be a RS-Sophomore when Tiano is a Senior.

HoopsDawg
08-12-2016, 03:56 PM

Nah.

HoopsDawg
08-12-2016, 03:58 PM
I think it's safe to say that Nick will start this year

Ha, true. I think it's currently: Fitz, Dwill, Tiano but I think Tiano will be starting before the season is over.

DownwardDawg
08-12-2016, 04:12 PM
In Mullen I Trust

I would love to see him play for Hud!!!

I seen it dawg
08-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Bye Elijah good luck to you. More reps for someone that's actually gonna play. Case closed.

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Exactly. I think this is the last thing that most people who have been paying attention are worrying about.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 04:20 PM

Glad you're here Dan. Been wanting to talk to you.*** If he isn't really considering an SEC school what would it hurt to prohibit it? There is a possibility that he goes to a school we are playing and comes back and beats us and it would put "you" in hot water with our fan base. At the very least prohibit him from transferring to teams we play for the next couple of years. We play several who Staley may still be an upgrade for them at QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Glad you're here Dan. Been wanting to talk to you.*** If he isn't really considering an SEC school what would it hurt to prohibit it? There is a possibility that he goes to a school we are playing and comes back and beats us and it would put "you" in hot water with our fan base. At the very least prohibit him from transferring to teams we play for the next couple of years. We play several who Staley may still be an upgrade for them at QB.

It's clear we're not worried about him playing at another SEC school. He was 3rd or 4th in the QB race but worried about him going to another SEC school & beating us? That just doesn't match up.

msstate7
08-12-2016, 04:35 PM

With saban's meltdown over the kid wanting to go to Georgia, this is a good look for Mullen even if it's bc we aren't worried about Staley going to an sec team.

msstate7
08-12-2016, 04:36 PM
I think BC was a finalist for Staley, so they may be a good spot.

mic
08-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Bye Elijah good luck to you. More reps for someone that's actually gonna play. Case closed.

Exactly.. Best of luck ..
New topic...

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 04:52 PM
It's clear we're not worried about him playing at another SEC school. He was 3rd or 4th in the QB race but worried about him going to another SEC school & beating us? That just doesn't match up.

He could probably be in the running today at South Carolina, Vandy, Auburn, Kentucky and LSU. Why risk it?

Plus as someone else noted he knows our entire playbook and our signals. You just don't let that dude go to a team we are playing unless you want to lose.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 04:54 PM

He could probably be in the running today at South Carolina, Vandy, Auburn, Kentucky and LSU. Why risk it?

Plus as someone else noted he knows our entire playbook and our signals. You just don't let that dude go to a team we are playing unless you want to lose.

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 05:22 PM

The dude ain't an SEC QB. Just isn't. He won't be in the mix at any of those places.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Or, or you don't feel he's a threat even at those places. If anybody thought that was the case then he would've been prohibited.

CadaverDawg
08-12-2016, 05:37 PM
I like Staley and I wish him the best. That being said, I was very surprised at how immobile he looked during his limited reps. Slow and stiff, but has a cannon. Just didn't end up being a good fit for our O after all. Injuries & hoop dreams kept him from gaining an advantage, so he quickly fell behind Fitz....and then Tiano showed up and suddenly Staley was 3rd or 4th in the race. It is what it is. Anybody worried about where he'll go hasn't been paying attention. I hope he does well wherever he goes....but it won't be the SEC imo. Thank you for signing with us, Elijah. Always seemed like a good teammate. Bye.

Now we can actually put the best 2 QB's at the top of the depth chart without worrying about hurt feelings. Fitz vs Tiano...let the competition begin! Should be good for making both better players

TaleofTwoDogs
08-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Dammit, waited over two years to see this kid become a stud SEC QB.........but noooo, he transfers. Oh well, best of luck to you Mr. Staley. Hopefully, we wont see you on the other sideline.

BankerDog
08-12-2016, 06:29 PM
It's not on field stuff that worries the staff about Fitz. I'll leave at that. Don't you think if he was the guy, they'd already name him? Think about it man.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2016, 06:38 PM
It's not on field stuff that worries the staff about Fitz. I'll leave at that. Don't you think if he was the guy, they'd already name him? Think about it man.

Either spill or STFU. There's never even been a hint that Fitz has off the field issues. So unless you're willing to share, I'll bet on the coaches wanting Fitz to be pushed as long as possible. Plus if everyone feels like they're really competing for QB1, it elevates the group as a whole.

K9 Avenger
08-12-2016, 06:43 PM

^^^This^^^....BankerDog knows of what he speaks...

Todd4State
08-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Dan is not going to play a redshirt freshman QB game one unless he absolutely has to. He barely let Dak do it as a sophomore.

War Machine Dawg
08-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Dan is not going to play a redshirt freshman QB game one unless he absolutely has to. He barely let Dak do it as a sophomore.

This is also why I find it hilarious so many people think Gibson is going to magically become the workhorse at RB this year. If Dan wouldn't feed Aeris & D-Lee after the shit show last season, why is he going to feed a RS FR this season with FOUR older players ahead of him? Everyone should know by now how we run our program.

preachermatt83
08-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Either spill or STFU. There's never even been a hint that Fitz has off the field issues. So unless you're willing to share, I'll bet on the coaches wanting Fitz to be pushed as long as possible. Plus if everyone feels like they're really competing for QB1, it elevates the group as a whole.

this!!

Dawgcentral
08-12-2016, 06:50 PM
If folks are going to drop hints about a problem with Fitz, why not go ahead and say wth is going on?

You've already cast doubt on his character or other possible issues. Just go ahead and spill it so we have a legitimate discussion with informed input.

Intramural All-American
08-12-2016, 07:00 PM

There's been plenty of hints about off the field issues, but in no way, shape, or form should a fan air his potential dirty laundry out on a message board as you say we should. Just know that there have been questions arise. Hopefully not true.

Either way, the best QUARTERBACK that will control our offense best should start. That should be the only criteria, and none of y'all know who that is unless you watch practice everyday (I don't either). It definitely shouldn't be based solely on a guys athleticism as Shotgun is saying.

Goldendawg
08-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Best of luck to Staley and may God Bless him and his always. I just want our coaches to play the best player we have at all positions. As for Fritz only playing one year as a High School QB, wasn't he behind an upper classman who was pretty good. He came to State as an early graduate and has been through three spring practices and bowl practices. He hasn't set the league on fire, but the Miami Dolphins have a pro QB who only started one year in college I think. We had a kicker who moved back to QB back in the day in Dave Marlar who had a very good year, although overall the team wasn't very good. Let's build quality depth at all positions, play the best players no matter what class they are in and put them in a position to win as Jackie used to say.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 07:40 PM

I think Dan is just trying to push guys.

You don't find players at a monastery. Whatever the truth is about Fitz, he can't be worse that Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, Manziel, Stephen Garcia, Rex Grossman, Jordan Jefferson, Nick Marshall, or Jamies Winston.

Leadership is often about your on field ability more than off field character or personality. If you make plays, other players will follow you.

I once had a college coach tell me that the problem with his team was that they didn't get in trouble enough. Many times guys get in trouble because they don't respect authority & have no fear. You know who usually perform best in crunch time? People that don't respect authority, don't feel pressure, & have no fear.

drummerdawg
08-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Might be best to not "spill" on our players. Glad there was no spilling on Dak. He wasn't exactly an angel but he got it done on the field and I'm sure Fitz will too.

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2016, 07:53 PM

Every play we have ever ran is on tape. Anyone could watch any of them, 1000s of times, whenever they want. He may be able to give some teams some very accurate scout-team looks in practice though.

MedDawg
08-12-2016, 08:31 PM

Staley to Auburn DC: "Here's what State is gonna do: pass to the flat, deep pass downfield, qb run, punt. Or qb run, pass to the flat, qb run, punt."

DownwardDawg
08-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Might be best to not "spill" on our players. Glad there was no spilling on Dak. He wasn't exactly an angel but he got it done on the field and I'm sure Fitz will too.

Lol

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Staley to Auburn DC: "Here's what State is gonna do: pass to the flat, deep pass downfield, qb run, punt. Or qb run, pass to the flat, qb run, punt."

I'm sure Auburn wish they had that info 3 out of the last 4 years as we were beating them.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Y'all better be right. I just don't see what it would hurt to go ahead and prohibit him from transferring in conference. If nothing else it sends the signal that we believe that he could play at that level and could actually help him find another spot. I just don't want him going to a school on our schedule she. He knows what all our signals mean.

LC Dawg
08-12-2016, 09:57 PM
I wish Elijah all the best. I always hate to see players leave no matter what the reason. I love Mississippi State and I hate for anyone to miss out on the privilege of being an alumnus.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Y'all better be right. I just don't see what it would hurt to go ahead and prohibit him from transferring in conference. If nothing else it sends the signal that we believe that he could play at that level and could actually help him find another spot. I just don't want him going to a school on our schedule she. He knows what all our signals mean.

2 things

1. Our coaches shouldn't care about making him seem better than he is. He chose to go we released him. Our responsibility ended there.
2. Say he did go to a school on our schedule how hard is it to switch up the signals for 1 game?

DancingRabbit
08-12-2016, 10:59 PM
If he transfers to an FBS school he has to sit a year, right? Since he's already red-shirted, how does that work? Is he on scholarship the first year?

Is he more likely to transfer to an FCS school so he can play this year?

msstate7
08-12-2016, 11:04 PM
If he transfers to an FBS school he has to sit a year, right? Since he's already red-shirted, how does that work? Is he on scholarship the first year?

Sit out this year and play as a junior with 2 years of eligibility

HSVDawg
08-13-2016, 09:03 AM

He can sit a year if he transfers within FBS or play this year if he transfers down to FCS or JUCO. He loses a year of eligibility no matter what.

Taog Redloh
08-13-2016, 09:12 AM
He can sit a year if he transfers within FBS or play this year if he transfers down to FCS or JUCO. He loses a year of eligibility no matter what.

Not with FCS or JUCO. He can play immediately.

However I expect him to latch onto some low level FBS and sit out this year.

tcdog70
08-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Sounds like you are describing John Bond

lamont
08-13-2016, 10:50 AM
1. Fitz is rumored to be a party guy. Shocker that a college QB parties. The gay stuff is not true and just made up BS

2. It will be shocking if Staley goes somewhere other than juco. They have been blowing up his phone

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2016, 11:00 AM
1. Fitz is rumored to be a party guy. Shocker that a college QB parties. The gay stuff is not true and just made up BS

2. It will be shocking if Staley goes somewhere other than juco. They have been blowing up his phone

I love party guys at QB. They are usually fearless. Stabler, Winston, Favre, Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, Jay Cutler, Mettenberger, Nick Marshall, AJ McCarron, Matt Leinart, Stephen Garcia, Rex Grossman, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, etc, etc, etc, were all party guys. You don't find players at a monastary

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2016, 11:06 AM
I once witnessed a General Manager meet his recent 2nd round draft pick for the first time & the first thing he said to him was, "I want players that 17ed the prom queen. Did you?"

Player responded, "No, she was the homecoming queen."

We want that guy.

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Sounds like you are describing John Bond

And like John Bond he likes to spend his down time going to Athens and Statesboro and places his GA friends are. Coaches see this as a distraction and worry when their leaders don't focus 24/7/365 on football. If he plays like Bond, and throws a case of beer in his Vette and heads for Athens after a win - we call that being a legend.

Dawgface
08-13-2016, 11:08 AM
I love party guys at QB. They are usually fearless. Stabler, Winston, Favre, Chad Kelly, Bo Wallace, Jay Cutler, Mettenberger, Nick Marshall, AJ McCarron, Matt Leinart, Stephen Garcia, Rex Grossman, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, etc, etc, etc, were all party guys. You don't find players at a monastary

And the best partier of them all......Joe Willie Namath.

HSVDawg
08-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Not with FCS or JUCO. He can play immediately.

However I expect him to latch onto some low level FBS and sit out this year.

Allow me to rephrase, this next year will count against his eligibility no matter what. Even if he sits for an FBS transfer.

War Machine Dawg
08-13-2016, 12:13 PM

And like John Bond he likes to spend his down time going to Athens and Statesboro and places his GA friends are. Coaches see this as a distraction and worry when their leaders don't focus 24/7/365 on football. If he plays like Bond, and throws a case of beer in his Vette and heads for Athens after a win - we call that being a legend.

In other words, our coaches are being wussies and want wussies at QB. Let kids have a life outside of football and play the best QB. Who gives a damn if he parties and goes to GA some? He's not getting himself arrested and/or having to be locked up every Friday night so he can play on Saturday like many great QBs through the years.

TUSK
08-13-2016, 12:24 PM
And the best partier of them all......Joe Willie Namath.

C. A. T.

HSVDawg
08-13-2016, 01:16 PM
In other words, our coaches are being wussies and want wussies at QB. Let kids have a life outside of football and play the best QB. Who gives a damn if he parties and goes to GA some? He's not getting himself arrested and/or having to be locked up every Friday night so he can play on Saturday like many great QBs through the years.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the coaches are being wussies. All indications from most in the know are that Fitz is going to be the starting QB, and if he's the back up then it means Tiano is legitimately the better option. Everything else is just rumors or hearsay. Mullen has his faults, but picking the best QB has never been one of them.

Reason2succeed
08-13-2016, 01:41 PM
There is no evidence whatsoever that the coaches are being wussies. All indications from most in the know are that Fitz is going to be the starting QB, and if he's the back up then it means Tiano is legitimately the better option. Everything else is just rumors or hearsay. Mullen has his faults, but picking the best QB has never been one of them.

This.

Plus I don't ever want to be suspicious about a loss because our starting QB was "distracted" by a piece of tail from Auburn. Lord knows there are plenty of women out there that would do it in a second.

MedDawg
08-13-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm sure Auburn wish they had that info 3 out of the last 4 years as we were beating them.

Heh, I meant to say that although it seems too simple we can also be good at it, so I should have put punt or TD at the end of each.

Taog Redloh
08-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Lol

Safe to say that you are ignorant on this issue.

Really Clark?
08-13-2016, 05:52 PM
I once witnessed a General Manager meet his recent 2nd round draft pick for the first time & the first thing he said to him was, "I want players that 17ed the prom queen. Did you?"

Player responded, "No, she was the homecoming queen."

We want that guy.

What year was that? Because that's a very similar quote from a movie.

BulldogBear
08-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Apparently I have in fact been under a rock for a few days. Does this confirm Fitz as "the guy?"