PDA

View Full Version : Re: Intra Conference Transfer Rule...

TUSK
08-11-2016, 02:39 PM
For those of you that have followed the story, what's yall's take on the Maurice Smith situation...?

For those that aren't in the loop:

Bammer has a likely starter at nickleback that has received his degree and wants to transfer to UGA.

I'm somewhat conflicted...

mcain31
08-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Saban should let him go. He's the best coach in the NCAA. Besides, your team will continue to view Smith as a traitor

AROB44
08-11-2016, 02:54 PM
I think he should be allowed to transfer. Now....if this was last year and Dak wanted to transfer then....absolutely not. Guess it "depends on whose ox is being gored."

Dawgface
08-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Outside the SEC only.

mcain31
08-11-2016, 02:58 PM
The kid has fulfilled his obligation to Bama playing and earning his degree.

nsvltndog
08-11-2016, 03:01 PM
I followed it, but not closely. To have a real opinion on the specific case I would want to see the official written rules of the SEC. The kid that was released without incident to Missouri was an interesting dynamic. What is not clear to me is what compelled them to change their mind and allow his release to UGA b/c Saban doesn't strike me as someone that would cave on something like this.

My personal opinion regardless of what the rules say is I would prefer to not see inter-conference transfers allowed, but there is a downside to this approach b/c I'd also hate to see the Clemson, FSU, Ohio State, and Oklahoma types that are going to compete for national championships with the SEC have the opportunity to load up on SEC grad transfers.

In general, I suspect this rule would hurt Alabama a lot less than it would the other schools in the SEC b/c a lot of your starters seem to leave as juniors for the NFL. Because of this I would suspect your list of projected starters that are holding a degree would be lower than others in the conference. I could also be completely misreading the situation with that assumption b/c clearly you are in the middle of it on this one.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-11-2016, 03:08 PM
The kid has fulfilled his obligation to Bama playing and earning his degree.

My thoughts exactly...but I'm somewhat concerned that it will open another loop hole in recruiting.

QuadrupleOption
08-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Let him go. He's a senior who's not going to see any playing time, and Alabama won't play Georgia this year (unless it's in the SEC championship game).

I just don't think there's any way Saban comes out of this looking good. He probably doesn't care, but he doesn't gain anything by blocking the transfer.

dawg27
08-11-2016, 03:14 PM
b
My thoughts exactly...but I'm somewhat concerned that it will open another loop hole in recruiting.

u dont want this to happen, now u will have coaches still recruiting kids even after they are at a school.

7dawg
08-11-2016, 03:24 PM
I think Saban should transfer back to Michigan State. Then we could commence to beating that ass again.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-11-2016, 03:25 PM
b

u dont want this to happen, now u will have coaches still recruiting kids even after they are at a school.

That's what I was thinking as well. Schools like Bama are already getting the transfers from other conferences and would own the SEC transfer game as well. Hell, Saban sure didn't have a problem with the transfer rule we he needed depth at kicker and signed Andy Pappanastos from ole miss. http://www.wsfa.com/story/31576712/former-trinity-kicker-andy-pappanastos-excited-about-joining-crimson-tide?sf23291433=1

TUSK
08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
There are some interesting takes here, and I don't think there's one "right" answer...

My personal opinion is that if the SEC changes the rule to allow intra-conference transfers, it would HELP Alabama...

We'd likely get 1 or 2 experienced players per year that could contribute without committing to a 4 deal... Other SEC schools could effectively be a "farm system"...

In turn, as AROB44 said, it could actually hurt schools that historically don't recruit as well....

archdog
08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Freeze has continued talking to our players after signing day. That's just weird.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 03:39 PM
My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue.

Jack Lambert
08-11-2016, 03:43 PM
My answer is real simple:

1. Let him transfer where he wants if he graduates

2. If I'm a coach, I'm getting with my academic people & letting them know that I don't want guys graduating very quick.

In the end, I don't see this a big problem. It seems like a recruiting loophole, but I don't think many SRs that have invested 4 years into a program & teammates are willing to up & leave their team unless it's a playing time issue. 22 year old SRs are infinitely more mature than high school kids, yet we seem to be considering them the same.

I just don't see it being an issue.

I think Saban released him yesterday or this morning to transfer to GA.

TUSK
08-11-2016, 03:46 PM
I think Saban released him yesterday or this morning to transfer to GA.

it's my understanding that the SEC rule is the hold up... they have to make an exception to allow the transfer...

that being said, I don't believe MDL/Bammer made it easy (not sure if they could have blocked it, regardless)...

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
it's my understanding that the SEC rule is the hold up... they have to make an exception to allow the transfer...

that being said, I don't believe MDL/Bammer made it easy (not sure if they could have blocked it, regardless)...

True. We need a "You Bet Your Ass" up on whether the SEC office will allow. I'd bet all my Vcash (what little I have left) that they will deny him his transfer to GA.

TUSK
08-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Let him go. He's a senior who's not going to see any playing time, and Alabama won't play Georgia this year (unless it's in the SEC championship game).

I just don't think there's any way Saban comes out of this looking good. He probably doesn't care, but he doesn't gain anything by blocking the transfer.

Maurice will start at UGA if he gets there... Hell, he's a (situational) starter at Bammer...

mic
08-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Maurice will start at UGA if he gets there... Hell, he's a (situational) starter at Bammer...

Exactly why if they approve graduate transfer within the conference it won't help Bama.
These type players are going to declare for or enter the draft.. I'm guessing a college player with questionable NFL talent won't be much help for one season at Bama..
QB might be the only position it would benifit.

TUSK
08-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Exactly why if they approve graduate transfer within the conference it won't help Bama.
These type players are going to declare for or enter the draft.. I'm guessing a college player with questionable NFL talent won't be much help for one season at Bama..
QB might be the only position it would benifit.

But losing a player with "questionable" NFL talent frees up a roster spot for someone we could cherry pick... granted, I think the net gain/loss is close to negligible, but the selfish "Bammer" in me would like to see the rule eliminated...

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 04:31 PM
I don't think having SEC to SEC transfers are a good idea at all. Ole Miss would likely benefit the most from this and they would be recruiting everyone's players the whole time they are in college.

Johnson85
08-11-2016, 04:34 PM
For those of you that have followed the story, what's yall's take on the Maurice Smith situation...?

For those that aren't in the loop:

Bammer has a likely starter at nickleback that has received his degree and wants to transfer to UGA.

I'm somewhat conflicted...

I think there are a few things that make this situation a little tricky.

One, it's his former DC "recruiting" him to come play at UGA. Not exactly sure why that matters, but it does make Saban's initial position seem more reasonable to me.
Two, it's not a matter of a guy that will sit on the bench or be a special teams guy wanting to spend his last year of eligibility as a starter; it's a guy that's going to play, but not be the primary starter. I think if you're not going to play a meaningful role on the field (and even though special teams is important, for the most part, there's not going to be a huge difference if you have to move from a fifth year senior that's only good enough for special teams to a younger player that's only good enough for special teams).
Three, I don't think he asked to transfer until recently. If he had asked after the season, that would have at least let the coach do a little bit of planning. It probably doesn't matter for Saban, but most programs would probably at least want the option to consider adding a JUCO signee that they wouldn't have signed otherwise if they realize that they are losing their starting nickle DB or similar player.

That being said, I think my ideal principle would be, if you're not going to play, the only teams you would require a release for are the teams on your current team's schedule or plausibly could end up in a conference championship game against your current team. If you're playing a meaningful role and just want to transfer to playing time, you should have to drop outside of the Power 5 unless there is a release. Unfortunately, there's not really a way to formalize that in a rule, because you won't now what the playign time arrangement will be ahead of time.

TUSK
08-11-2016, 04:35 PM
I don't think having SEC to SEC transfers are a good idea at all. Ole Miss would likely benefit the most from this and they would be recruiting everyone's players the whole time they are in college.

true dat, but it's gonna be tough to convince a transfer to walk on (because you only have 65 total scholarships).*

MedDawg
08-11-2016, 06:24 PM
I think he should be allowed to transfer. Now....if this was last year and Dak wanted to transfer then....absolutely not. Guess it "depends on whose ox is being gored."

Can you imagine the fallout if Dak wanted to transfer to OM after our 2014 season? Dak graduated in December 2014, Bo had just finished and no one knew if Chad Kelly would even make it to school. Should Dan have let Dak transfer and enroll at OM in January 2015? Or LSU or Bama? He would have started for all 3 in 2015.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-11-2016, 07:05 PM
If this were allowed, would some schools start stretching out a players curriculum so they wouldn't graduate in 4 years? I could see that happening at places so they wouldn't lose certain players.

dawg27
08-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Can you imagine the fallout if Dak wanted to transfer to OM after our 2014 season? Dak graduated in December 2014, Bo had just finished and no one knew if Chad Kelly would even make it to school. Should Dan have let Dak transfer and enroll at OM in January 2015? Or LSU or Bama? He would have started for all 3 in 2015.

Exactly take fred ross, lets say he wanted to leave because we dont have a qb, he thinks chad kelly would sling the ball to him and he leaves, no way this should happened\.

TUSK
08-13-2016, 12:08 PM
BUMP: The SEC has approved Maurice Smith's transfer to UGA....

REC.

Doin'.

Work.

msujan
08-13-2016, 12:27 PM
b

Kinda like Freezer continuing to call C Jones?