PDA

View Full Version : Ok- So the pulse of the Board is that we will finish

lamont
08-11-2016, 09:25 AM
8-4 or better this year. 90 % of the Predictions go that route.

After Mullen shopping hard at the end of last season- would a 7-5 or 6-6 season ending in a last place finish cause you to be extremely concerned about the program? Or would you still be 100% Dan is the Man?

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Totally depends on who we beat. 8-4 with losses to Ole Miss, Bama, LSU, and A&M would not be as good as 6-6 with wins over Bama and Ole Miss. I know that means we probably would have lost to BYU and South Carolina. But my point is the body of work is what counts as much as the actual record.

JoseBrown
08-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Not necessarily. I would definitely be concerned, but with wholesale changes on the defensive coaching staff, new positions created and filled on staff, and starting off without Dak. Although I think Fitz will be fine. With all that said I could see it taking a little time, but they've been together all off-season. I haven't made my predictions yet, but I'm sure it will fall somewhere between yours and the board average. No bowl game though, yes I'm pretty worried...

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 09:51 AM

After Mullen shopping hard at the end of last season- would a 7-5 or 6-6 season ending in a last place finish cause you to be extremely concerned about the program? Or would you still be 100% Dan is the Man?

Just depends on how we play & how we are playing at the end of the year.

If we start out slow, due to QB play, but catch fire late, then I'll feel better.

Beaver
08-11-2016, 09:56 AM
If we start out slow, due to QB play, but catch fire late, then I'll feel better.

Me too. However, I think we all want to see an improvement in the running game as well. However, I'll be concerned if the defense struggles and Sirmon left for a bigger program after the season is over.

AlSwearengen
08-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Without looking at the schedule and analyzing other teams (i'm too lazy and don't care enough right now), I don't see us winning 8 games. We will lose to lsu, bama, and olemiss for sure (olemiss might be winnable).

In my mind, we lost too much. If we had a better than average Oline, that would help matters, but I will believe it when I see us have a decent line again. I'll be happy with seven wins.

Beaver
08-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Without looking at the schedule and analyzing other teams (i'm too lazy and don't care enough right now), I don't see us winning 8 games. We will lose to lsu, bama, and olemiss for sure (olemiss might be winnable).

In my mind, we lost too much. If we had a better than average Oline, that would help matters, but I will believe it when I see us have a decent line again. I'll be happy with seven wins.

I think if we beat BYU we'll get to 8 wins. Auburn, SC, A&M, and Arky all at home. Plus Kentucky on the road. 5 very winnable games. Just have to go 4-1 there and win the 4 OOC games.

JoseBrown
08-11-2016, 10:19 AM
I think if we beat BYU we'll get to 8 wins. Auburn, SC, A&M, and Arky all at home. Plus Kentucky on the road. 5 very winnable games. Just have to go 4-1 there and win the 4 OOC games.

I think this is where I am. If we beat BYU or A&M we can get to 8 wins, if we lose both I don't think so, but I haven't done game by game yet.

Liverpooldawg
08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
If we are 6-6 or better this year I'll be happy. I won't jump off a cliff if we only win 5. This IS a rebuilding year. This program ain't to the reloading stage yet, but it's closer than it has ever been in my lifetime. That's how I judge Mullen.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Either we will find a running game and do well or we will struggle to run the game and suck. I don't see any grey area.

I'm not worried about the defense at all. The only weak part of our defense is corners and we're not playing an elite quarterback until the last game of the year.

starkvegasdawg
08-11-2016, 10:57 AM
As usual, our schedule is extremely backloaded. I could see us get off to a fast start and then seemingly falter at the end of the season. I would hate to put a pass/fail on the season based on just the record, but I would be disappointed in 6-6 and not complain with 7-5. This is all assuming no major injuries and no major off field incident that can derail a season. I would like to see us competitive in all of our games including bama and LSU. I want to see some tangible evidence we are at least trying to close the gap with the elites of the conference. I think we have shown that against LSU, but I can't remember the last time we walked on the field with bama and I expected to come away with a win.

So, if we take care of business against out OOC opponents, win the easier SEC schedule (UK and USCe), win some of our toss up SEC games and competitive in any we lose, and at least look like we have a pulse against the SEC elite, I will be ok with this season.

What will piss me off is if Mullen starts getting connected to multiple openings and doesn't address it in some form or fashion and just leaves the team and recruits swinging in the breeze.

DancingRabbit
08-11-2016, 11:04 AM
It's always hard to accurately predict how a season will turn out, but this year is more difficult than usual.

So many changes and question marks. Completely new defensive coaching staff. New base defense. New QB. New LT. New X receiver. Maybe new RB. New team leadership.

We have a LOT of talent on campus. Who all will take it to another level? I say 7 to 9 reg season wins.

PassInterference
08-11-2016, 11:24 AM
7-5

Losses to LSU, Auburn, (BYU or A&M...we'll screw one of them up), Alabama, Ole Miss

MSUDawg99
08-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Are you Ole Rebel Jacob?

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 11:38 AM
If we are 6-6 or better this year I'll be happy. I won't jump off a cliff if we only win 5. This IS a rebuilding year. This program ain't to the reloading stage yet, but it's closer than it has ever been in my lifetime. That's how I judge Mullen.

6-6 would be pretty poor. I'll take 7-5 or better.

I want to have some stability right now with Ole Miss's looming sanctions.

TrapGame
08-11-2016, 11:38 AM
I just don't see us losing 6 games. We are more talented than that. 4 games? Sure, but not 6.

RiverCityDawg
08-11-2016, 11:39 AM
8-4 with losses to Ole Miss, Bama, LSU, and A&M would not be as good as 6-6 with wins over Bama and Ole Miss.

Are you being serious or exaggerating for effect? I would much rather go 8-4 and lose close games to LSU, TA&M, Alabama and ole miss (teams with more talent) than lose to LSU, Auburn, BYU, UK, TA&M and Ark. Obviously I want to win them all, but losing 6 games including 4 we shouldn't would make me much less satisfied than losing only 4 to teams better than us.

Now HOW we lose matters to me. I don't want to get blown out in 4 games. But beating the teams we should and competing well in the others with the occasional upset is much more preferable than being inconsistent and dropping 4 games we should win, but winning a couple upsets.

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 11:41 AM
I said it in my predictions and I will reiterate here. I think we're going to be better than we were last year. I'm not in the weeds of the program or as astute as some of you are here on the board, nor am I an eternal optimist.

I don't think we'll see much regression from the QB spot. As good as Dak was, he missed a hell of a lot of short to intermediate open throws that could have been completed.

The running game has no where to go but up.

The defense will be better than last year, due to a new scheme and better overall athletes. If we shore up the secondary and not allow them to give up large chunks of yardage and get some serviceable depth on the line - it can improve over last year.

I don't see any team within the SEC that comes into the year 100% booked at every position. Each team has holes or question marks, so it will be up to how they adjust and improve as the year goes along.

While I said in another post that us losing at the end of the last two seasons has hurt the perception, I do think a back loaded scheduled will work in our favor this year as we get the new pieces to gel while we play a relatively soft schedule.

Beaver
08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't think we'll see much regression from the QB spot. As good as Dak was, he missed a hell of a lot of short to intermediate open throws that could have been completed.

Yeah, but Dak could also throw the ball down the field -- often times while running for his life. Will we have a QB that can do that without throwing multiple picks a game?

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Now that's a bold prediction

TrapGame
08-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but Dak could also throw the ball down the field -- often times while running for his life. Will we have a QB that can do that without throwing multiple picks a game?

But, how much of that was Mullen prepping Dak for the NFL? He missed a few passes when he had twenty yards wide open in front of him. I don't think Mullen will put that kind of leash on the new QB.

HSVDawg
08-11-2016, 11:59 AM

I guess you have to define what "concerned about the program" means. Mullen is 0-24 in SEC games against teams that finish with 9 regular season wins or more. Against teams that finish in the 7-8 win range he bats about .500, and he's only lost 1 game ever against a team that finished with 6 regular season wins or less and that was the 2011 Egg Bowl. At this point, the sample size is large enough that it is clear that our final record will be much more of a function of how good our opponents are than how good we are. If we finish with with only 6 or 7 wins, it simply means that some of the teams we expected to be in that middling 7 to 8 win range like Ark, Auburn, or A&M jumped up and had better seasons than expected. So, I'm not concerned that we'll fall back to Croom level, but I will be concerned that we have reached a ceiling under Mullen even if we win 8 if there are no big wins in there somewhere.

I also don't really have all that much concern because I don't expect Mullen to be here longer than another 2 or 3 years at most, and us not extendng his deal makes it even easier for him to leave. If the UGA job didn't open up, he'd already be in College Park or Coral Gables right now.

PassInterference
08-11-2016, 12:34 PM
The running game has no where to go but up.

Gonna be the same or worse with stagnant OL recruiting. And by stagnant, I mean Sly Croom recruited better on the OL.

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Duly noted.

I think Mullen has the ability to hide some of the weaknesses the new QB may have. As TrapGame said, the leash will be shorter but you may be correct if they aren't making the proper reads and/or trying to force it into a small window.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Now that's a bold prediction

Its pretty clear, if you have eyes, that Dak was holding us back last year. I mean it was obvious.

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Gonna be the same or worse with stagnant OL recruiting. And by stagnant, I mean Sly Croom recruited better on the OL.

I suppose I'm hopeful that they utilize the pass to open up the run. Holloway on screens and Williams to pound inside.

EngDawg
08-11-2016, 01:02 PM
I can legitimately see anything from 4-8 to 8-4. It's probably going to be down to the O-line (as always) as to which side of the range we end up.

Dawg61
08-11-2016, 01:07 PM

We could finish 3-9 and I'd still want Dan Mullen over Kyle Whittingham.

Political Hack
If we go 7-5 or 9-3, it's not much difference between that an 8-4. People go a little cray cray when they get upset about losing a game by 3 points and finishing 1 game behind expectations and start calling for CDM's head.

QuadrupleOption
I will support Mullen until he has a losing season, then I'll support him for one more after that to see if he can right the ship.

I wish he'd beat Bama and LSU more often but he's done a great job here overall. Even if he leaves, his replacement will have a much easier time of it than he did coming in.

I've seen a lot of terrible football played at MSU over the years. He's done a great job to get us out of that dynamic.

NCDawg
08-11-2016, 01:08 PM
But, how much of that was Mullen prepping Dak for the NFL? He missed a few passes when he had twenty yards wide open in front of him. I don't think Mullen will put that kind of leash on the new QB.

I agree much of that was Mullen prepping Dak for the NFL, when Dak had ample opportunity to run but didn't. Some say this is a rebuilding year. After 8 years, it shouldn't be a "rebuilding year", but I guess it apparently is. I foresee probably a 6-6 year, which to my mind is totally unacceptable. We should be playing for the SEC West as Mullen promised when he got here.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 01:12 PM

If we are 6-6 and lose the egg bowl to the bears by 20+, I won't be thrilled. Also, we would be losing six senior DL, our starting MLB, our best WR, at least three starting OL, and a WR that is playing RB but is our only home run threat out of the backfield right now.

Some people on the board have been pointing to 2017 to be a bounce back year, but Im not sure I see it. We will be replacing three starters on the OL. Replacing a stud WR. Replacing not just starting DL, but also the backups. Im not worried about the back 7, but Richie is damn good, so we will take a small step back there as well and it's not like last year's recruiting class is going to fill all of these holes.

We will be counting on between 7-10 juco kids to come in and play immediately. Combine that with our schedule where we get Bama and LSU at home, and we replace South Carolina at home, with Georgia in Athens along with A&M, Arkansas and AU on the road? It will be a damn tough schedule next year.

The schedule will never be better than this year. We catch SC at the right time. We have Bama and LSU on the road. We have fifth year seniors all over the two deep on the OL and DL.

If we go 6-6 or 7-5 with this team and more importantly this year's schedule, Im worried about 2017.

Thankfully I think we get to 9 wins.

lamont
08-11-2016, 01:14 PM
I guess you have to define what "concerned about the program" means. Mullen is 0-24 in SEC games against teams that finish with 9 regular season wins or more. Against teams that finish in the 7-8 win range he bats about .500, and he's only lost 1 game ever against a team that finished with 6 regular season wins or less and that was the 2011 Egg Bowl. At this point, the sample size is large enough that it is clear that our final record will be much more of a function of how good our opponents are than how good we are. If we finish with with only 6 or 7 wins, it simply means that some of the teams we expected to be in that middling 7 to 8 win range like Ark, Auburn, or A&M jumped up and had better seasons than expected. So, I'm not concerned that we'll fall back to Croom level, but I will be concerned that we have reached a ceiling under Mullen even if we win 8 if there are no big wins in there somewhere.

I also don't really have all that much concern because I don't expect Mullen to be here longer than another 2 or 3 years at most, and us not extendng his deal makes it even easier for him to leave. If the UGA job didn't open up, he'd already be in College Park or Coral Gables right now.

There is no doubt we have reached our ceiling with Mullen. He is going to win 7-8 games for the most part and then we have to hope for that one special season every 7-8 years. You are who you are after 7-8 years.

We are not suddenly going to start reeling in top 15 Crootin classes
We are not going to suddenly start recruiting NFL caliber OL players

Dan Mullen is who he is at State. Now we have to watch closely and hope the program doesn't regress

ILOATHEBears
08-11-2016, 01:25 PM
There is no doubt we have reached our ceiling with Mullen. He is going to win 7-8 games for the most part and then we have to hope for that one special season every 7-8 years. You are who you are after 7-8 years.

Dan Mullen is who he is at State. Now we have to watch closely and hope the program doesn't regress

If only we had C34 here to tell us his predictions I would feel better. I think we win a game we are supposed to lose and lose a game we are supposed to win (UK) this year. It's a wash at 7-5, 8-4

Dawg61
08-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Mullen's ceiling > Whittingham's ceiling

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Actually, Dak's weakest game was the deep ball. Fitz and Staley both throw a better deep ball than Dak did. JMO.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Experience is everything on the Oline. I honestly think we'll get better because its aso easier to runblock for less talented O linemen. Also, it always tickles me when State fans complain about O line recruiting. Dylan Day was a ** as was JC Brignone two of our best players in the Mullen era on O line.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 01:41 PM

I agree with this. We certainly have issues that are difficult to solve that keep us from getting better:

1. OL recruiting. Problem is that there simply aren't that many great OL to recruit.

2. Dynamic play makers. We do a great job of landing high 3 stars & low 4 stars that are SEC caliber players, but, in order to win big, you've got to land some dynamic 5 stars. Losing AJ Brown, Cam Akers, & not being able to draw these types players from out of state are killers to raising our ceiling.

3. We recruit NFL caliber talents, but, unlike Alabama & LSU, they aren't able to play at a high level from day 1. Therefore, you get guys like McKinney, Robinson, Bryant, Chris Jones, Slay, Preston Smith, etc.... that are great talents, but we really only get 1- 1 1/2 high level years out of them. Whereas Alabama & LSU bring in more polished NFL talents that they get 2-3 quality years out of. This makes their roster more complete. Like this year, our defense is loaded but we don't have any experience at CB. Next year, our CB will be good, but the DL will young. It's just difficult to put it all together in one year because it takes us two years to get talented players to the polish necessary to play at a high level.

Unless we cheat & start winning out of state recruiting battles for 5* type players, I'm not sure how to solve this problem. FWIW, we aren't alone with this problem. Michigan State faces this problem. They've had more success due to the conference they are in, but he talent levels are very comparable.

1bigdawg
08-11-2016, 01:42 PM
We have slowly but consistently improved our recruiting. Even on the Oline we are starting 3 star guys instead of 2 stars. (This does not excuse losing Lashley or imply that Hevesy can recruit as it is still the least talented position group on the team.)

I expect us to continue to do well and to challenge no less than every three years.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 01:52 PM
We have slowly but consistently improved our recruiting. Even on the Oline we are starting 3 star guys instead of 2 stars. (This does not excuse losing Lashley or imply that Hevesy can recruit as it is still the least talented position group on the team.)

I expect us to continue to do well and to challenge no less than every three years.

This. Mullen has gotten better and better nearly every season with his recruiting.

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 01:53 PM
we always seem to have 1 or 2 holes. Our most complete team was 2014 and we made it to #1. But even that team did not have a talented enough O-line and we hurt ourselves against Bama and Ole Miss with the 1B defense.

To break thru the ceiling, Mullen HAS to make a change with our O-line. And we can't miss out on in-state play-makers like AJ Brown and Cam Akers.

We also have to upgrade recruiting at CB. More than any other position, stars matter at CB, b/c that's one position where measurable translate. We were fortunate to have 4 star Will Redmond for several years. And guys like Banks and Calhoun played above their recruiting ranking. I don't know if we have that currently.

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 01:54 PM
This. Mullen has gotten better and better nearly every season with his recruiting.

Not really true. Last year's class was probably his worst class.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 01:55 PM

The recruiting services have eliminated two stars. There is absolutely no way to tell if our recruiting is improving on the OL other then watch the product on the field. The fact that rivals or 247 says our OL is a 3 star when 8 years ago that kid would have been a two star, doesn't make the kid any better, just placates the fan base so no one stops buying subscriptions.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 01:57 PM

I was just about to say this. He was a Simmons commit away from an absolute disaster. With Simmons it was just a three mile island disaster instead of Chernobyl.

shannondawg
08-11-2016, 01:57 PM
From reading these posts, unbridled optimism , like I have would be subject to ridicule.

I won't go to a game I don't think we have a chance of winning, I plan Good Lord willing plan to make them all.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 01:59 PM
I was just about to say this. He was a Simmons commit away from an absolute disaster. With Simmons it was just a three mile island disaster instead of Chernobyl.

How do y'all figure. There is some pretty solid talent on this list. You wanna talk disaster, go back to the year we lost CJ Johnson. That class was a laugher. Lat year's wasn't. We finished barely out of the top 25.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

PassInterference
08-11-2016, 02:02 PM
I agree with this. We certainly have issues that are difficult to solve that keep us from getting better:

1. OL recruiting. Problem is that there simply aren't that many great OL to recruit.

You saying there are only enough SEC quality OL to fill out 13, maybe 10, SEC teams?

PassInterference
08-11-2016, 02:04 PM
The recruiting services have eliminated two stars.

I think they have not. I'm almost sure I read that MSU has earned enough respect that anybody we offer is going to get a 3rd star if they don't already have it.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't see a way we win 8 (not counting bowl)

NCDawg
08-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Bottom line is that Mullen, out of apparently devoted friendship with the OL coach, will not make a change to improve the OL's performance. I think Mullen is a good offensive coach, but until he realizes that our primary problem is the OL and does something to improve it, we will remain a pretty good but not a great team.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 02:09 PM

I don't agree. I think we are stuck. Right now we are improving our recruiting in FL due to staff hires, but our recruiting in Alabama has dropped since Collins left. So basically we just traded AL for FL. In both states, we are just in on the 2nd tier guys that AL, Aub, FL, or FSU don't have room for.

Our recruiting is stuck between 17-25, which is good enough to put together a competitive, solid roster, but won't have enough dynamic talent to upset great teams

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 02:10 PM
B/C I look at the other offers and how hard these kids are recruited by other Power 5 schools. Though I do give Paul and Robbie credit for getting Reggie Todd 4 stars after he signed with us, lol. Scout could only manage 2 stars for him and Mitchell got no stars. We also had a ton of misses last year. From Lashley, to AJ, to Cushenberry, to Farrar and on and on. We had a record number of decommitments. Simmons saved the class a little and I'm glad our new coach got Reese in over Syracuse.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 02:14 PM
B/C I look at the other offers and how hard these kids are recruited by other Power 5 schools. Though I do give Paul and Robbie credit for getting Reggie Todd 4 stars after he signed with us, lol. Scout could only manage 2 stars for him and Mitchell got no stars. We also had a ton of misses last year. From Lashley, to AJ, to Cushenberry, to Farrar and on and on. We had a record number of decommitments. Simmons saved the class a little and I'm glad our new coach got Reese in over Syracuse.

Yeah, but it was pretty obvious why that's happening.

Well, at least with one of those players.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 02:16 PM
And I don't care who the coach is, we will never compete with Auburn, Bama, or LSU year-in-and-year-out on the recruiting trail. It's just not gonna happen. Saban probably couldn't do that here.

But I do agree that Dan is stubbornly loyal to Hevesy. Far too loyal in many respects.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 02:18 PM
How do y'all figure. There is some pretty solid talent on this list. You wanna talk disaster, go back to the year we lost CJ Johnson. That class was a laugher. Lat year's wasn't. We finished barely out of the top 25.

We signed two OL. T-W-O. We signed 1 HS CB.

We signed 13 kids that enrolled in August. Thirteen. Hell two of them we signed this past summer. We signed 5 that enrolled in January that I think we counted all of them back, because in 2015 we counted 5 back to the 2014 class - which means that out of a possible 25 kids we could have signed in February, we signed 13.

Its not the guys we signed as much as the guys we didn't. The Golden Triangle was historically loaded last year. Missing out on the DT from Meridian, and the back flip kid who's sister goes here, is going to haunt us.

HoopsDawg
08-11-2016, 02:20 PM
The recruiting services have eliminated two stars. There is absolutely no way to tell if our recruiting is improving on the OL other then watch the product on the field. The fact that rivals or 247 says our OL is a 3 star when 8 years ago that kid would have been a two star, doesn't make the kid any better, just placates the fan base so no one stops buying subscriptions.

247 has rated only 1 guy 2 stars in the last 4 classes and that's Ronald Cochran in 2014. The only reason they didn't give him 3 is b/c he was a surprise signee. By Paul and Robbie "juking the stats", it ensures that we will almost always be Top 30.

Of course we won't recruit as well as the big boys but we could compete for titles if we could consistently sign Top 20, balanced classes. The key word being balanced. And we need the occasional Top 15 class-maybe once every 4 years.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2016, 02:20 PM

We have:

1. South Alabama
2. South Carolina (everyone expects them to be bad)
3. @ UMass
4. at BYU
5. at Kentucky
6. Samford

Then we get:

7. home vs a depleted AU (have you paid attention to their off-season?)
8. home vs a depleted UPig (No Brandon Allen, no Hunter Henry, no Alex Collins)
9. home vs an aTm team that looks like it could be a mess, with 1st & 2nd team QB's choosing to leave
10. @ UNM, a game that you can throw records out, and a game we will be looking for payback. And, as usual, they are vastly overrated

I realize we're replacing a few pieces as well, especially Dak, but if we win only 6 games against that...we need to fire some people, maybe even Dan.

1. Our QB situation is not going to be near the step back a lot of people assume
2. Our O-line situation, though not good, is quite possibly going to be better than last year
3. Our personnel losses are matched or exceeded by losses at other schools on our schedule
4. We have probably improved our coaching quality
5. Our defense is going to be pretty damned good, and will keep us in games while our new QB & revamped O-line figures it out

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 02:21 PM
I think they have not. I'm almost sure I read that MSU has earned enough respect that anybody we offer is going to get a 3rd star if they don't already have it.

Our program has earned that respect, not sure our OL has.

At the end of the day, judging our perceived improvement on OL recruiting based on stars, is flawed.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 02:22 PM
And a lot of this stems from what I call the SEC/ Alabama effect. Every program in the SEC thinks winning a national championship should be in its sights. Guys.............that's just not the case. No one is happy with being competitive and winning a bunch of games anymore. This trying to keep up with Jones's which is never, ever gonna happen consistently for teams like State, OM, UK, SC, and Arky is in a way ruining college football.

Mullen's not perfect. No doubt, but you get tired of people trying to compare him to Saban, Miles, and even JWS. Hell, it aint the 1990s no more, folks. You can't just run over everybody and play smothering defense all the time, every single snap. And while I love Jackie, let's not forget how his tenure ended, amirite? Because the exact same thing is about to happen to OM.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 02:24 PM
What is the opinion of the byu game? I think we lose that one with about 70% confidence. Their qb play is going to be pretty solid

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 02:28 PM
What is the opinion of the byu game? I think we lose that one with about 70% confidence. Their qb play is going to be pretty solid

I think we have more talent across the board than we they do.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Why?

We have a more talented player at probably 18 of the starting 22 positions. I expect to win that game.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Let me put it another way.

If you are figuring we will lose:

1. Bama
2. LSU
3. UNM

What are the other 3 losses you'd be OK with that gets us to 6-6?

Can't be any of:
S. Bama
SCar
@ UMass
@ BYU
@ UK
Samford

Any loss on the above would really piss me off. If you agree, then you're essentially talking about being OK with us losing all 3 at home of:
AU
UPig
aTm

That would also piss me off big time.

If you think we could lose @ BYU, then you're mostly likely saying you'd be OK with losing 2 of the above 3 home games. Again....that is something we should find unacceptable, IMO.

BrunswickDawg
08-11-2016, 02:32 PM
And a lot of this stems from what I call the SEC/ Alabama effect. Every program in the SEC thinks winning a national championship should be in its sights. Guys.............that's just not the case. No one is happy with being competitive and winning a bunch of games anymore. This trying to keep up with Jones's which is never, ever gonna happen consistently for teams like State, OM, UK, SC, and Arky is in a way ruining college football.

Mullen's not perfect. No doubt, but you get tired of people trying to compare him to Saban, Miles, and even JWS. Hell, it aint the 1990s no more, folks. You can't just run over everybody and play smothering defense all the time, every single snap. And while I love Jackie, let's not forget how his tenure ended, amirite? Because the exact same thing is about to happen to OM.
If you put Jackie's teams into today's atmosphere of "natty now or else", he would have been fired in '95 and we would have had the "Bobby Wallace" era of MSU football.

Jarius
08-11-2016, 02:32 PM

Ummm....the year we lost CJ Johnson ended up being the best recruiting class in Dan Mullen's career at State. Perhaps you should go look again and see who all was in that class.

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 02:33 PM
We have:

1. South Alabama
2. South Carolina (everyone expects them to be bad)
3. @ UMass
4. at BYU
5. at Kentucky
6. Samford

Then we get:

7. home vs a depleted AU at home (have you paid attention to their off-season?)
8. home vs a depleted UPig @ home (No Brandon Allen, no Hunter Henry, no Alex Collins)
9. home vs an aTm team that looks like it could be a mess, with 1st & 2nd team QB's choosing to leave
10. @ UNM, a game that you can throw records out, and a game we will be looking for payback. And, as usual, they are vastly overrated

I realize we're replacing a few pieces as well, especially Dak, but if we win only 6 games against that...we need to fire some people, maybe even Dan.

1. Our QB situation is not going to be near the step back a lot of people assume
2. Our O-line situation, though not good, is quite possibly going to be better than last year
3. Our personnel losses are matched or exceeded by losses at other schools on our schedule
4. We have probably improved our coaching quality
5. Our defense is going to be pretty damned good, and will keep us in games while our new QB & revamped O-line figures it out

This is what I was trying to convey, but you seamlessly put it together where it is easier for others to actually see. How would anyone in their right mind not get to at least 8 wins. It is also why I have us at 10-2 in the prediction thread. I do think there is a chance we slip against someone and fall to 9-3, but that is the worst we should do this year.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Why?

We have a more talented player at probably 18 of the starting 22 positions. I expect to win that game.

I don't know if I'd go that far. But I'd agree we probably have more talent on paper. But qb play and being on the road males a big difference. They have 2 guys who would probably win the qb job here IIRC

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 02:36 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far. But I'd agree we probably have more talent on paper. But qb play and being on the road males a big difference. They have 2 guys who would probably win the qb job here IIRC

I would go that far & do you really think they have 2 guys that would win our QB job?

Our 4 year recruiting average is 25 & theirs is 65.

Our rosters are not similar. Sure they have some older players that will cause some issues, but our speed, size, & strength won't be comparable. our QBs, while not experienced, at least 3 of them would be the most talented QB on BYU's roster by a nice margin

Joe Schmedlap
08-11-2016, 02:38 PM

I agree. 7-5 would be a very good season and a good coaching job by Dan Mullen. No way we win 8 the year after losing Dak. Not with a 100% staff turnover on defense, no proven running back, and a non SEC West level offensive line. I credit Coach Mullen for where we are consistency wise. We are on solid footing. However, until we find a way to get good offensive lines again, we will struggle against the big boys. It's up to Dan Mullen to decide if offensive line is a priority.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I would go that far & do you really think they have 2 guys that would win our QB job?

What evidence do you have of that?

I think Mangum and hill are pretty talented qbs and I don't think fitz/williams are as talented. And I don't think staley is mentally up where he would need to be.

ETA- especially with our O line

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 02:46 PM
I think Mangum and hill are pretty talented qbs and I don't think fitz/williams are as talented. And I don't think staley is mentally up where he would need to be.

Mangum was a pretty big recruit. Didn't realize that. Fitz is plenty talented. Mangum would likely win our QB battle.

It's also difficult to say because we haven't seen Fitz play in an extended way yet. If our QB play is adequate, we should beat BYU. Our roster is simply far more talented

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Mangum was a pretty big recruit. Didn't realize that. Fitz is plenty talented. Mangum would likely win our QB battle.

It's also difficult to say because we haven't seen Fitz play in an extended way yet. If our QB play is adequate, we should beat BYU. Our roster is simply far more talented

I think we are far more athletic. But comparing talent based on recruiting with byu is kinda different than any other opponent bc of how unique that program is

mparkerfd20
08-11-2016, 02:52 PM

This year is a pass as far as I'm concerned as long as we have a winning record. While I think we'll be 8-4 or better, I can live with 7-6 after bowl game. Not happy about it, but can live with it.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2016, 03:04 PM

BYU has 2 LB's that are converted RB's. That ain't gonna fly, even if our O-line isn't especially good.

BYU has one experienced corner...and he's not a star. Our WR's are gonna have a field day, because whoever wins the QB job this year is going to be an effective passer.

BYU is coming in with a new HC & staff...and they are switching to a 4-3.

BYU Qb, whether it's Tanner Mangum or Taysom Hill will matter about as much as Nick Mullins did for USM last year.

QuadrupleOption
08-11-2016, 03:04 PM

24/7 composite rankings for 2016 was #27. According to the rankings, he's had 3 classes 'worse' than last year: 2010, 2011, and 2014.

2009 - #20
2010 - #33
2011 - #35
2012 - #22
2013 - #25
2014 - #35
2015 - #18
2016 - #27

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 03:06 PM
BYU has 2 LB's that are converted RB's. That ain't gonna fly, even if our O-line isn't especially good.

BYU has one experienced corner...and he's not a star. Our WR's are gonna have a field day, because whoever wins the QB job this year is going to be an effective passer.

BYU is coming in with a new HC & staff...and they are switching to a 4-3.

BYU Qb, whether it's Tanner Mangum or Taysom Hill will matter about as much as Nick Mullins did for USM last year.

Forgot about the staff overturn. That may sway me. But the same argument you make about their CBs could be made for us as well.

And with our O line it'll be hard for anyone to be effective down field passing

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Ummm....the year we lost CJ Johnson ended up being the best recruiting class in Dan Mullen's career at State. Perhaps you should go look again and see who all was in that class.

Not from a recruiting rankings standpoint it wasn't, which is what most people look at when they judge these things. Starz!!!!!!! From a starz standpoint, that class was a laugher.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
If you put Jackie's teams into today's atmosphere of "natty now or else", he would have been fired in '95 and we would have had the "Bobby Wallace" era of MSU football.

Yup.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Forgot about the staff overturn. That may sway me. But the same argument you make about their CBs could be made for us as well

Except that our defense is going to be a lot tougher on the BYU QB than their defense is going to be on ours. And I truly believe that Fitz is going to prove to be extremely good in our offense. Based on his limited playing time, I think he's going to prove to be a more accurate passer...particularly downfield, with his downside perhaps being not yet as good as Dak at getting through progressions quickly. Then again, him taking off running instead may not be a bad thing.

And if Fitz doesn't win the job, that will mean one of the others have really stepped up to beat him all. Win-win.

ETA - I misread your CB for QB.

I'll take our CB's over theirs. On top of that...this year, BYU's CB's are gonna have to face a lot more 1-on-1 coverage due to the new defensive scheme. That's gonna put a lot more pressure on their young guys trying to keep up with Ross, Gray, Miles and/or Dear.

dawg27
08-11-2016, 03:21 PM

This is ******* 8th year, we should not be rebuilding at this point. I am a mullen supporter not being a downer at all, but 8 yrs into it and we are still talking about 7 wins will be just fine.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Except that our defense is going to be a lot tougher on the BYU QB than their defense is going to be on ours. And I truly believe that Fitz is going to prove to be extremely good in our offense. Based on his limited playing time, I think he's going to prove to be a more accurate passer...particularly downfield, with his downside perhaps being not yet as good as Dak at getting through progressions quickly. Then again, him taking off running instead may not be a bad thing.

And if Fitz doesn't win the job, that will mean one of the others have really stepped up to beat him all. Win-win.

I hope that our defense is enough. I guess I just dont have tons of faith in any of the qbs and far less in the guys protecting them. I think our most polished qb mentally is our least talented (Williams) and our most talented is a mental question mark (staley). I think fitz is somewhere between the two.
I was thinking byu was our first road game and that contributed to my low confidence but having lsu before will help a ton so I'll admit 70% was a bit pessimistic

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 03:25 PM

If we lose to OM (which is highly likely), especially if badly, Mullen's ass will be red hot.

And the bad thing is in '14 Mullen could have buried Freeze once and for all. They had a one legged QB, no receivers, and up til then, no running game. And we crapped the bed and choked.

That would have been 2 in a row over them with them having to come to Starkville the next year. Hugh's ass would have been uptight, and all the pressure would have been on him.

Had that happened, I think we are looking at a whole new dynamic with this NCAA crap. Had it happened, I highly doubt Hugh Freeze would be the HC there today.

blacklistedbully
08-11-2016, 03:25 PM

A little birdy told me part of the reason Dan seriously flirted with leaving to Maryland, of all places, was that he was frustrated with the amount of cheating UNM was getting away with, while we were running a pretty tight ship. Perhaps UNM getting in hot water has changed that for him.

Dawgology
08-11-2016, 03:32 PM

I won't jump off a cliff if we go 6-6 but I will be pretty upset if we only win 5 games. Our program has progressed to a point where (even in a rebuilding year) we don't need to record losing seasons. In my opinion that would be a HUGE step back for us and I can totally see Mullen jumping ship in the off season if that were to happen. Only 5 wins would mean that we lost 2 games to some pretty bad teams and probably went winless in the SEC. That would be a BIG step backwards.

Dawgology
08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
If we lose to OM (which is highly likely), especially if badly, Mullen's ass will be red hot.

And the bad thing is in '14 Mullen could have buried Freeze once and for all. They had a one legged QB, no receivers, and up til then, no running game. And we crapped the bed and choked.

That would have been 2 in a row over them with them having to come to Starkville the next year. Hugh's ass would have been uptight, and all the pressure would have been on him.

Had that happened, I think we are looking at a whole new dynamic with this NCAA crap. Had it happened, I highly doubt Hugh Freeze would be the HC there today.

I think it has more to do with how the season shakes out. The reality is that we will probably lose to UNM. I don't think this in and of itself would put Mullen in the frying pan. Now...if we go winless in the SEC this season then, yeah, he'll have to have a great outing in '17 or he'll probably be gone. But...I think if we handle SC, Aub, Kentucky, and ARK (maybe TAMU) but drop one to UNM I think everything will be fine. I hate losing to UNM as much as any other State fan but with impending sanction for them on the way and a consistent showing each season of 7 - 9 wins I think Mullen will be fine for the next couple seasons at least. A win against UNM used to mean much more because it's all we had as a fan base. Now we have much more than that.

oildawg
08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
I would be fine with a 6-6 or 7-5 season. It is certainly a sign that Mullen has elevated this program when we still go to a bowl during our "down year".

Gutter Cobreh
08-11-2016, 03:57 PM
A little birdy told me part of the reason Dan seriously flirted with leaving to Maryland, of all places, was that he was frustrated with the amount of cheating UNM was getting away with, while we were running a pretty tight ship. Perhaps UNM getting in hot water has changed that for him.

That is a plausible reason. Anyone that saw him before and after the OM week last year, you could tell the fire wasn't burning. After it has hit the fan for the Rebels, Mullen has made some changes this offseason and I think has set the program up to recruit better moving forward.

Someone else said we traded AL recruiting for FL recruiting. I would honestly take that any day of the week. The talent that comes out of FL is head and shoulders ahead of anything coming from AL. Win-Win

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 03:57 PM
As far as Mullen being on the hotseat goes for me, it'll have a lot to do with how we look more so than with the Win total. If the team looks totally apathetic, and he looks like he's emotionally checked out, I'm done. If we fight every game like we did in 09-10, I'm cool with 7-6, even though I think we're better than that.

Pollodawg
08-11-2016, 03:58 PM
That is a plausible reason. Anyone that saw him before and after the OM week last year, you could tell the fire wasn't burning. After it has hit the fan for the Rebels, Mullen has made some changes this offseason and I think has set the program up to recruit better moving forward.

Someone else said we traded AL recruiting for FL recruiting. I would honestly take that any day of the week. The talent that comes out of FL is head and shoulders ahead of anything coming from AL. Win-Win

We traded a decently talented state for the most talent rich state in the country. I'm down.

DudyDawg
08-11-2016, 04:02 PM
As far as Mullen being on the hotseat goes for me, it'll have a lot to do with how we look more so than with the Win total. If the team looks totally apathetic, and he looks like he's emotionally checked out, I'm done. If we fight every game like we did in 09-10, I'm cool with 7-6, even though I think we're better than that.
100%. His demeanor (and therefore the team's) will determine a lot of how I feel come December

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Im not sure enough people are taking the schedule into account. Its the best schedule we can draw up. SC with a new coach. BAMA and LSU on the road? Every swing game at home. BYU with a new coach. Egg Bowl is a toss up.

The schedule is perfect for a 9 win season. Lets be clear, all we have to do to win 9 games is win all of our home games, and beat UK, BYU and UMass on the road. Im not saying it is easy, but with all the seniors on the roster, in a developmental program, it is now or never.

We could easily be a better team in 2017 and struggle to win 7 games due to the schedule. We need all the 9 win seasons when we can get them.

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 04:09 PM
I think it has more to do with how the season shakes out. The reality is that we will probably lose to UNM. I don't think this in and of itself would put Mullen in the frying pan. Now...if we go winless in the SEC this season then, yeah, he'll have to have a great outing in '17 or he'll probably be gone. But...I think if we handle SC, Aub, Kentucky, and ARK (maybe TAMU) but drop one to UNM I think everything will be fine. I hate losing to UNM as much as any other State fan but with impending sanction for them on the way and a consistent showing each season of 7 - 9 wins I think Mullen will be fine for the next couple seasons at least. A win against UNM used to mean much more because it's all we had as a fan base. Now we have much more than that.

Everyone says that right now. In November, if we lose to OM, for the 3rd straight time, it will be a different story. Rockey Felker was the last coach, I believe, that lost 3 in a row to OM.

He got fired.

Before that Bellard lost 3 in a row.

He got fired.

Granted they had crappy seasons, and not saying Mullen would be fired, but his ass would be red hot. Red hot.

Bothrops
08-11-2016, 04:12 PM
If we only win 5, we've got big problems and will be re-staffing again. We need to continue the bowl streak at least.

HancockCountyDog
08-11-2016, 04:39 PM
If we only win 5, we've got big problems and will be re-staffing again. We need to continue the bowl streak at least.

If we win 5 with this team and more importantly this schedule - totally agree.

I think we win 9, but worst case scenario we win 7.

Dawgology
08-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Everyone says that right now. In November, if we lose to OM, for the 3rd straight time, it will be a different story. Rockey Felker was the last coach, I believe, that lost 3 in a row to OM.

He got fired.

He got fired.

Granted they had crappy seasons, and not saying Mullen would be fired, but his ass would be red hot. Red hot.

None of those coaches took us to 6 bowl games in a row either. I really think our program has moved beyond a win against UNM defining our season. Again, if it plays out where we lose all of our SEC games or finish with 5 wins including a loss to UNM then, yeah, he will be on the hot seat but if the team plays well and returns a consistent record I think he is fine for now. You can't say that if we finish 9-3 with a loss to UNM that he would be on the hot seat. C'mon....

NCDawg
08-11-2016, 04:58 PM
None of those coaches took us to 6 bowl games in a row either. I really think our program has moved beyond a win against UNM defining our season. Again, if it plays out where we lose all of our SEC games or finish with 5 wins including a loss to UNM then, yeah, he will be on the hot seat but if the team plays well and returns a consistent record I think he is fine for now. You can't say that if we finish 9-3 with a loss to UNM that he would be on the hot seat. C'mon....

Little bit easier going to a bowl game nowadays that it used to be. There are more bowls and a breakeven season will qualify for a bowl bid. I'm not sure that we have moved beyond a win against Ole Miss defining our season. Many fans, as well as myself, define losing to Ole Miss as a bad season.

1bigdawg
08-11-2016, 05:14 PM
I see us going 8 - 4, possibly 9-3. There is no one on our home schedule that we should not beat this year. We should beat KY and BYU. It is possible that UNM will implode after a slow start and with impending sanctions.

It does all depend on the OL, but I am cautiously optimistic. I want a new OL coach but think there is enough experience and Hev is a good enough field coach that we should be decent.

If we go 6-6 and get blown out at Bama and LSU, people will be down on Mullen no matter what.

Liverpooldawg
08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
I hope y'all are right. We will see.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Are you being serious or exaggerating for effect? I would much rather go 8-4 and lose close games to LSU, TA&M, Alabama and ole miss (teams with more talent) than lose to LSU, Auburn, BYU, UK, TA&M and Ark. Obviously I want to win them all, but losing 6 games including 4 we shouldn't would make me much less satisfied than losing only 4 to teams better than us.

Now HOW we lose matters to me. I don't want to get blown out in 4 games. But beating the teams we should and competing well in the others with the occasional upset is much more preferable than being inconsistent and dropping 4 games we should win, but winning a couple upsets.

I wanted to point out that it?s not just quantity it?s the quality of the wins. Your scenario has the quantity but to me not the quality. My scenario below has more quality and really only one or two losses that could be considered ?bad but not that bad? from a national perspective point of view- Kentucky on the road and maybe BYU on the road. Of course those are offset with a landmark win on the road against Alabama and an Egg Bowl win on the road to become bowl eligible :

South Alabama- Win
South Carolina- Win
LSU- Loss
UMass- Win
Auburn- Loss
BYU- Loss
Kentucky- Loss
Samford- Win
Texas A&M- Loss
Alabama- Win
Arkansas- Loss
Ole Miss- Win

This scenario above is better IMO than this one below even though it has more wins.

South Alabama- Win
South Carolina- Win
LSU- Loss
UMass- Win
Auburn- Win
BYU- Win
Kentucky- Win
Samford- Win
Texas A&M- Loss
Alabama- Loss
Arkansas- Win
Ole Miss- Loss

So, my point to all of this is all wins aren?t created equal. It?s about both quantity and quality. Winning 8 games is good- depending on whom the wins are over. It?s just like 13-0 Boise State isn?t as impressive as 13-0 Alabama because of the difference in the opponents that each of them beat to achieve that perfect record.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 06:00 PM
I see us going 8 - 4, possibly 9-3. There is no one on our home schedule that we should not beat this year. We should beat KY and BYU. It is possible that UNM will implode after a slow start and with impending sanctions.

It does all depend on the OL, but I am cautiously optimistic. I want a new OL coach but think there is enough experience and Hev is a good enough field coach that we should be decent.

If we go 6-6 and get blown out at Bama and LSU, people will be down on Mullen no matter what.

I don’t know what to expect from Ole Miss. Will they start out 1-3 and implode under the weight of probation and be unable to overcome the loss of three first round draft picks? Will they get lucky again and pull out another win over someone they shouldn’t beat and use it to propel them this season?

Like I said we can possible go 6-6 and Dan won’t get dogged all that much- depending on who those six wins are against.

South Alabama- Win
South Carolia- Win
LSU- Blowout loss with Fournette doing an impersonation of Cecil The Diseal Collins
UMass- Win
Auburn- Loss
BYU- Loss
Kentucky- Win
Samford- Win
Texas A&M- Loss
Alabama- Blowout Loss
Arkansas- Loss
Ole Miss- Win

The above would be an acceptable 6-6 season and you can move the wins and losses around between South Carolina, Kentucky, and Arkansas and I’ll just say win two out of those three with the rest of the schedule remaining the same.

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2016, 06:00 PM

He got fired.

He got fired.

I think some of the outcome for Mullen here may depend on whether Ole Miss goes on severe probation.

If OM goes on severe probation, then Mullen will be forgiven because he was competing against a stacked deck.

If OM does not go on severe probation, then Mullen will be on the hot seat because he is losing to a team that is utilizing practically legal recruiting tactics that he is unwilling to use.

I think we all know that Mullen is playing against a stacked deck, but, if stacking the deck is legal, then Mullen will additionally be blamed for not doing what Ole Miss is doing.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 06:04 PM

In football, you MUST beat your main rival to continue to be successful. Like it or not. We have a chief rival and we should embrace that as Dan did from 2009-2011 and make beating them a priority.

Let’s say we go 11-1 and that only loss is to Ole Miss. That one loss could also cost us the SEC, a chance to play for the National Championship, etc.

Look at what we lost the past two years by losing to them- a share of the SEC West and a Sugar Bowl appearance.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 06:08 PM
I think some of the outcome for Mullen here may depend on whether Ole Miss goes on severe probation.

If OM goes on severe probation, then Mullen will be forgiven because he was competing against a stacked deck.

If OM does not go on severe probation, then Mullen will be on the hot seat because he is losing to a team that is utilizing practically legal recruiting tactics that he is unwilling to use.

I think we all know that Mullen is playing against a stacked deck, but, if stacking the deck is legal, then Mullen will additionally be blamed for not doing what Ole Miss is doing.

Interesting take. I do think he will be forgiven anyway from my point of view. But if they aren’t ransacked by the NCAA, we are going to have to change with or without Dan. And we have to be OK with that and not have any chicken little thoughts about but…..but…..we used to suck in 1969 so we should appreciate going 8-4 every year.

That said, I think Ole Miss will get ransacked and hopefully Dan takes advantage of it. His recruiting makes me very leery though. He’s just not into it enough with certain players and it usually costs us.

Liverpooldawg
08-11-2016, 06:09 PM
I would be fine with a 6-6 or 7-5 season. It is certainly a sign that Mullen has elevated this program when we still go to a bowl during our "down year".

This all day long. How quickly we forget about just dreaming to get to .500 and going 3-8 or worse in down years.

IMissJack
08-11-2016, 06:09 PM

I hear you, but I think it is a little different at MSU, and I don't think he has reached his ceiling. Dan has built a system over 7-8 years, that has set a minimum expectation of 7-8 wins, at a school that has a football history slightly better than Vandy. At MSU, we needed a coach to be here a long time, to set a standard that we have never had in my life. We needed a Beemer type, that could be consistent. For 50 years, we hired and fired coaches after 3-4 years, expecting improvement and growth as a program to compete with conference elites, and it did not happen consistently. We are now able to recruit good QB's regularly, and have 4 QB's currently competing for a job, we have never been better at that position. As long as you can develop QB's, it covers a lot of other problems. We have more quality depth now than I can remember, the thing holding us back from the next step is the OL plain and simple. If we could get and maintain an average OL, then we will take the next step.

Liverpooldawg
08-11-2016, 06:12 PM

He got fired.

He got fired.

They didn't win 19 games in the two seasons before they lost that 3rd to UM either. Some of y'all need to come to grips with reality.

lamont
08-11-2016, 06:16 PM

That's the thing- with all we lose- I think 2017 is the down year. Bama and LSU losses at home combined with all the toss up games being on the road

lamont
08-11-2016, 06:23 PM
This thread has derailed from the original question. I completely understand many of you THINk we are going to win 8 or 9 with this schedule. That's clear

The question is what if he doesn't? We finish last in the West and then lose about 12 starters- what is your feelings then heading in to 2017 with our toss up games on the road? Losing our best WR, 3 OL starters, our starting DL and MLB? 3 straight losses to OM?

the59dawg
08-11-2016, 06:33 PM
This thread has derailed from the original question. I completely understand many of you THINk we are going to win 8 or 9 with this schedule. That's clear

The question is what if he doesn't? We finish last in the West and then lose about 12 starters- what is your feelings then heading in to 2017 with our toss up games on the road? Losing our best WR, 3 OL starters, our starting DL and MLB? 3 straight losses to OM?

I guess I understand what you mean by tossup games, but we play LSU, AL and OM at home in 2017. We play them away this year.

CarolinaDawgs
08-11-2016, 07:04 PM
DAN MULLEN = JEFF FISHER

sleepy dawg
08-11-2016, 07:23 PM
As long as we make a bowl this year, I will still fall in the Dan is the man category, since we just came off a 10 and 9 win seasons. If we do it again the next year though, I would be concerned. I'm not the type to go back and forth a lot with my support. I will fully support our coach until its time to not support. I'm not nearly 'knee jerk' as some.

Liverpooldawg
08-11-2016, 07:27 PM

It's possible and I STILL would be behind him. The odds are VERY high if we fired him we would get something worse. Most non-MSU or UM people realize what a great job Mullen has done at a very difficult place.

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Let's see if you still feel this way the day after the Egg Bowl.

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 08:00 PM
In football, you MUST beat your main rival to continue to be successful. Like it or not. We have a chief rival and we should embrace that as Dan did from 2009-2011 and make beating them a priority.

Let?s say we go 11-1 and that only loss is to Ole Miss. That one loss could also cost us the SEC, a chance to play for the National Championship, etc.

Look at what we lost the past two years by losing to them- a share of the SEC West and a Sugar Bowl appearance.

This

GTHOM
08-11-2016, 08:00 PM

6-6 with this schedule would be a epic disaster in my opinion. No excuse

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 08:02 PM
They didn't win 19 games in the two seasons before they lost that 3rd to UM either. Some of y'all need to come to grips with reality.

Guess you missed the last sentence.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Hurts because it's true. Say whatever you want about Crxxm, but the best O-Linemen we've had under Mullen were all Crxxm recruits. 7 years and counting with no Mullen-recruited OL drafted. Abomination.

lamont
08-11-2016, 08:44 PM
I guess I understand what you mean by tossup games, but we play LSU, AL and OM at home in 2017. We play them away this year.

Toss up games- UPIg, A&M, Auburn....Bama and LSU are auto loses for the most part. We also lost to OM this past November at home

lamont
08-11-2016, 08:49 PM
It's possible and I STILL would be behind him. The odds are VERY high if we fired him we would get something worse. Most non-MSU or UM people realize what a great job Mullen has done at a very difficult place.

Well that's kinda what I'm driving at.

Do we just just accept 7-8 win seasons with the hope of a 10 win season every 7-8 years? As well as hope we don't slide back back? Or at what point what cause us to consider a move?

HSVDawg
08-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Well that's kinda what I'm driving at.

Do we just just accept 7-8 win seasons with the hope of a 10 win season every 7-8 years? As well as hope we don't slide back back? Or at what point what cause us to consider a move?

Maybe just me, but I just feel like its an irrelevant discussion. Really think he'll be gone on his own before any serious talk of actually firing him ever materializes. He knows he isn't retiring in Starkville, and with that in mind I think he knows that the next couple of years will give him the best opportunity to get out to a decent gig while he is still favorably viewed on a national level. In the meantime, it also gives him incentive to keep the train on the tracks for the next couple of years. So we'll see what happens.

By the way, that isn't a knock on Mullen by any means. He's already stuck around twice as long a myself and many of our fans expected him to, and I'm certainly grateful for all he has done for MSU. But the whole vibe with Mullen and MSU right now is just odd. With him looking around, and Strick not giving him an extension after a 9 win season, it almost has the same feel as a couple of parents who are just waiting on their kids to get to college before they get a divorce (if that makes any sense).

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 11:45 PM
If we have a bad season, odds are better than average it’s going to be because of our o-line. If I was Scott/Big Money MSU supporter I sit down with Dan at the end of the year and tell him to put Hevesey in the office. If Hevesey doesn’t like it he can leave- but I would definitely point out that I’m being nice by not just firing him and allowing him to stay. I’d make him in charge of the women’s football camp and “community outreach” (hold your laughter) or some other BS title like that. Sallach needs to go to the office as well.

If Dan doesn’t agree to that, I tell Dan that he can leave because we’re not going to get any better until the o-line improves. And if he is going to prevent that by having a country club atmosphere, it’s not in the best interests of MSU football. I would also remind him that he would be walking away from whatever millions of dollars we are paying him and I would gently remind him that he should know after last year that he isn’t going to make more money or be in a better situation than the one he is in now.

I’d also show him statistics including our craptastic performance last year against SEC teams with a pulse and the fact that Hevesy also has only put one player in the NFL that he recruited and then show him the concern with our o-line depth chart and the fact that we are having to scour the JUCO’s because of Hevesy dragging his feet and only signing approximately three o-linemen a year which is wrecking our depth chart.

As far as Dan goes- I wouldn’t just fire him I don’t think if our floor is what I think it is. It’s hard to answer the question at this point. What if Samford upsets us? I think that might be sufficient enough to fire Dan. I know that’s extreme but upsets like that do happen at times in college football. Ask Ole Miss about Jacksonville State, Florida about Georgia Southern, and South Carolina about the Citadel.

I’ve also seen people say that Dan should be fired for looking around again. I get that, but in the same vein of the extreme what if Dan goes 11-1 next year with a close road loss to Alabama and then looks around? Do we just fire him then? I would have to say no in that case.

So, my answer is let’s just see how the season goes. If he corrects some things and shows that he is dedicated, he can stay. If not, then I’m OK letting him go.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Maybe just me, but I just feel like its an irrelevant discussion. Really think he'll be gone on his own before any serious talk of actually firing him ever materializes. He knows he isn't retiring in Starkville, and with that in mind I think he knows that the next couple of years will give him the best opportunity to get out to a decent gig while he is still favorably viewed on a national level. In the meantime, it also gives him incentive to keep the train on the tracks for the next couple of years. So we'll see what happens.

By the way, that isn't a knock on Mullen by any means. He's already stuck around twice as long a myself and many of our fans expected him to, and I'm certainly grateful for all he has done for MSU. But the whole vibe with Mullen and MSU right now is just odd. With him looking around, and Strick not giving him an extension after a 9 win season, it almost has the same feel as a couple of parents who are just waiting on their kids to get to college before they get a divorce (if that makes any sense).

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dan. Part of me is afraid that he wants out, but couldn’t find a better job and so now he is depressed and is in ride it out mode. The other part of me says he looked around and couldn’t find a better job so now he knows how good his job is and will rededicate himself to MSU. We’ll see.

I’m totally 100% behind Scott not giving him an extension after last year. Again, we need to forget about the 1960-1980’s MSU football and the “gee, I remember when we were thankful to go to the Liberty Bowl”. We’re near the top of the food chain because we are in the SEC. Jackie has shown that you can win at a high level at MSU and Dan as I said needs to start scoring some wins over some big name SEC teams and he needs to start winning the Egg Bowl again. His “I don’t give a shit” performance in Dak’s last home game was unacceptable. And don’t try to hype up the Belk Bowl win when you choke away a Sugar Bowl bid Dan/Scott/MSU. That’s just absurd. His game management cost us a home win against LSU which would have caused us to springboard in the polls. We also looked completely outclassed by Texas A&M and Alabama again.

And then to top it off Dan not squashing any rumors about leaving was the final straw the broke the camel’s back.

So, it was refreshing to hear that Scott didn’t extend Dan. Dan needs to start winning games and worry less about what kind of Yeezey’s he’s going to wear to media days.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Any talk about firing Dan Mullen under almost any circumstance this year is cray cray. Dude is just the winningest coach in our history. All he has done is propel our program to a level it has never been on in the modern era. He has done it the right way and he is watching OM collapse under the pressure of the NCAA while doing nothing more than him in the records. Sure they've beat us a few times but all of those wins are about to have asterisks by them. He promised that we would never "lose" to that team again and he may be right. (He didn't say we would always win just that we would never win.)

Yes, we could force him to hire a new OL coach but fire him, no way or we would never attract another good coach because as a fan base we would be clinically insane. Don't be pulled by the same delusion that our northern sisterenare under. Be patient.

Todd4State
08-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Any talk about firing Dan Mullen under almost any circumstance this year is cray cray. Dude is just the winningest coach in our history. All he has done is propel our program to a level it has never been on in the modern era. He has done it the right way and he is watching OM collapse under the pressure of the NCAA while doing nothing more than him in the records. Sure they've beat us a few times but all of those wins are about to have asterisks by them. He promised that we would never "lose" to that team again and he may be right. (He didn't say we would always win just that we would never win.)

Yes, we could force him to hire a new OL coach but fire him, no way or we would never attract another good coach because as a fan base we would be clinically insane. Don't be pulled by the same delusion that our northern sisterenare under. Be patient.

At this point no we can't talk about firing Dan. But I was just pointing out that things can change in season to change that view. But like I said it would have to be an extreme situation like losing to Samford basically.

DudyDawg
08-12-2016, 01:12 AM
I'm curious what the general consensus is about our qbs. Mentally I don't think much of them at all. I don't like us on the road this year save UK and UMass

biggun
08-12-2016, 06:13 AM

If we can only win 5 games with our schedule then we are light years away from the reloading stage.

Also, Hard to get to the reloading stage when you can't even sign the 4 & 5 stars in your own backyard. Inability to sign quality OL, a big time RB, and the before mentioned stud WR from Starkville will haunt us over the next 3-4 years.

lamont
08-12-2016, 06:13 AM
You certainly can't fire him after this season. But we didn't extend his contract after he went 9-4 this past season because he shopped around so hard. He goes 6-6 or 7-5- it's unlikely you extend it then either. That leaves 2 years left heading into 2017 on his deal.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 07:11 AM
If we can only win 5 games with our schedule then we are light years away from the reloading stage.

Also, Hard to get to the reloading stage when you can't even sign the 4 & 5 stars in your own backyard. Inability to sign quality OL, a big time RB, and the before mentioned stud WR from Starkville will haunt us over the next 3-4 years.

I'm not saying that this is 100% the situation on all these players but if guys are going to cause you to get into NCAA trouble like OM is in then we should pass on them. Remember when we all freaked out about losing all those players to OM? I can't even recall their names because none of them lived up to their potential anyway. Mullen has proven that he is a great evaluator of talent and character.

Step away from the ledge. Personally, I would shop around too if I had produced as much as Mullen had and the fans still thought I was one bad season away from being fired. That's just me though.

Dawg61
08-12-2016, 07:13 AM
I don't agree. I think we are stuck. Right now we are improving our recruiting in FL due to staff hires, but our recruiting in Alabama has dropped since Collins left. So basically we just traded AL for FL. In both states, we are just in on the 2nd tier guys that AL, Aub, FL, or FSU don't have room for.

Our recruiting is stuck between 17-25, which is good enough to put together a competitive, solid roster, but won't have enough dynamic talent to upset great teams

Your expectations are totally unrealistic for Mississippi State University. To average 17-25 ranked recruiting classes at this University is ****ing AMAZING recruiting and yet you are still bitching. Get the **** out of here with this bullshit. Please pick another school to root for.

Dawg61
08-12-2016, 07:20 AM
He goes 6-6 or 7-5- it's unlikely you extend it then either.

What? You don't just extend contracts because of record. Mullen's football program is in great shape especially when you compare it to his in-state rival. We get it that you don't like Mullen but you can save the next 5,000 posts of you trying to get him fired to yourself.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Your expectations are totally unrealistic for Mississippi State University. To average 17-25 ranked recruiting classes at this University is ****ing AMAZING recruiting and yet you are still bitching. Get the **** out of here with this bullshit. Please pick another school to root for.

Your wife must have denied you putang last night.

i believe this staff has done an amazing job, but I do have a desire to continue to improve. Do you?

I think much of our expectations for MSU are shaped by our age. My first MSU football memories are when Sherrill got to the MSU. So for me, we are a competitive, winning program and the Croom
years were an outlier.

I fully realize that doesn't accurately portray our total history, but, as many times as older people tell me that this is the glory years of MSU football, I have trouble relating because I didn't live through it. My memories are of us mostly being competitive and winning. For me, what we are now is what we should be and are. I don't see this as our ceiling.

Dawg61
08-12-2016, 07:58 AM

i believe this staff has done an amazing job, but I do have a desire to continue to improve. Do you?

I think much of our expectations for MSU are shaped by our age. My first MSU football memories are when Sherrill got to the MSU. So for me, we are a competitive, winning program and the Croom
years were an outlier.

I fully realize that doesn't accurately portray our total history, but, as many times as older people tell me that this is the glory years of MSU football, I have trouble relating because I didn't live through it. My memories are of us mostly being competitive and winning. For me, what we are now is what we should be and are. I don't see this as our ceiling.

Save your raw raw speeches for when you're jacking off. You put impossible expectations on Mullen when you consider what state we are located in. To average 17-25 ranked recruiting classes in this state with our main in-state rival cheating their asses off is a damn miracle yet you're expecting better. Do you expect your dick to grow to 12 inches too? Do you just gloss over schools like Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Tennessee, aTm, Clemson, UCLA, Florida, Auburn when you're setting these unrealistic expectations? Shit I just named 16 schools with much much stronger football programs than us traditionally with ease. That puts us at 17th after those names yet that's not good enough for you. Get real.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2016, 08:01 AM

years were an outlier.

I went to school between 98-2002 as well but I realize that we were just #1 in the nation two years ago. We are one of the most consistent teams in the SEC and there are a bunch of teams that would trade places with us immediately. Mullen has raised the profile of State don't hold that against him. Also, he's done it clean. OM is about to get buried because their success (which is no different than ours) was fools gold. Don't fall for the hype. Mullen is doing a great job and should be here until he wants to leave or the train completely falls off the track.

lamont
08-12-2016, 08:05 AM
What? You don't just extend contracts because of record. Mullen's football program is in great shape especially when you compare it to his in-state rival. We get it that you don't like Mullen but you can save the next 5,000 posts of you trying to get him fired to yourself.

7-5 or 6-6 with a 3rd straight Egg Bowl loss- Dan Mullen will not have his contract extended. I promise you that

And that has zero to do with me

Dawg61
08-12-2016, 08:10 AM
7-5 or 6-6 with a 3rd straight Egg Bowl loss- Dan Mullen will not have his contract extended. I promise you that

Wrong. It'll get extended when Old Misses gets gaped by the NCAA and when he takes us to a 7th straight bowl game.

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 08:30 AM
I agree with not giving him the extension also. I just think the reasoning behind it was a lot more tied to his flirtation with like 18 other programs in the offseason, with the lackluster recruiting class we brought in also playing a factor. If he kept his nose to the grindstone, said we had some things that needed fixing in the program and committed to fixing them and signed a Top 25 class, then I think he 100% gets the extension. But I think Stricklin and the money guys finally got fed up with his name being floated for every job, and I don't blame them.

lamont
08-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Wrong. It'll get extended when Old Misses gets gaped by the NCAA and when he takes us to a 7th straight bowl game.

Wrong. Mississippi won't receive any sanctions before next summer. The NCAA is slow and Mississippi is great at prolonging all this.

I'm not telling you what I think about Mullen- I'm telling you what I know. Many of you fought me on his shopping around- and I was dead on. That's why his contact wasn't extended this year. 7-5 or 6-6 with a 3rd straight EB loss- and its 100% there will be no contract extension

lamont
08-12-2016, 08:32 AM
I agree with not giving him the extension also. I just think the reasoning behind it was a lot more tied to his flirtation with like 18 other programs in the offseason, with the lackluster recruiting class we brought in also playing a factor. If he kept his nose to the grindstone, said we had some things that needed fixing in the program and committed to fixing them and signed a Top 25 class, then I think he 100% gets the extension. But I think Stricklin and the money guys finally got fed up with his name being floated for every job, and I don't blame them.

Insert Keenum for Stricklin and this is 100% what happened

HSVDawg
08-12-2016, 08:47 AM

In principle I agree, but all extensions are not created equal. At the end of this year he'll only have 2 years left on his contract. We could extend him the same way Auburn just did Malzahn where we lengthen the deal but with no raise and we don't change the buyout amount (effectively not really changing anything as far as how easy it is for him to leave or for us to fire him). Or we could do a one year extension but not the full two years. There are a lot of different ways it could play out.

lamont
08-12-2016, 09:00 AM
In principle I agree, but all extensions are not created equal. At the end of this year he'll only have 2 years left on his contract. We could extend him the same way Auburn just did Malzahn where we lengthen the deal but with no raise and we don't change the buyout amount (effectively not really changing anything as far as how easy it is for him to leave or for us to fire him). Or we could do a one year extension but not the full two years. There are a lot of different ways it could play out.

There's 100 ways to do it. But he is not going to be extended for a mediocre season and another loss to Mississippi. That comes from people that make decisions

Dawg61
08-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Won't matter we won't lose to Old Misses this year.

shrimp
08-12-2016, 09:36 AM
How did people fight you on his shopping around when you just joined the site last month???

Wrong. Mississippi won't receive any sanctions before next summer. The NCAA is slow and Mississippi is great at prolonging all this.

I'm not telling you what I think about Mullen- I'm telling you what I know. Many of you fought me on his shopping around- and I was dead on. That's why his contact wasn't extended this year. 7-5 or 6-6 with a 3rd straight EB loss- and its 100% there will be no contract extension

BrunswickDawg
08-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Insert Keenum for Stricklin and this is 100% what happened

Agree with that. But, I also think it must have led to a discussion about "why are you looking". From a totally un-connected observation I think Dan's answer was "I'm tired of the uphill battle of recruiting against the cocksuckers up north". Look how many additional people we put into off-field positions this season - not to mention the people we hired on D - all seem to be focused on recruiting. If I was Dan, with the shit OM pulls, I'd have been looking too - especially knowing that those same cocksuckers are tailing everything we do looking for a way to hit back (like they did in the Redmond deal).

lamont
08-12-2016, 10:01 AM
How did people fight you on his shopping around when you just joined the site last month???

I was talking about the Elitedawg meetings at Ryan's.

Liverpooldawg
08-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Agree with that. But, I also think it must have led to a discussion about "why are you looking". From a totally un-connected observation I think Dan's answer was "I'm tired of the uphill battle of recruiting against the cocksuckers up north". Look how many additional people we put into off-field positions this season - not to mention the people we hired on D - all seem to be focused on recruiting. If I was Dan, with the shit OM pulls, I'd have been looking too - especially knowing that those same cocksuckers are tailing everything we do looking for a way to hit back (like they did in the Redmond deal).

I expect this is SPOT on.

Percho
08-12-2016, 10:55 AM

One of the worst coached games in my memory and I am an old dude 73!!!!!!!!

Bass Chaser
08-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Probably not hard to figure out.

Gutter Cobreh
08-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I was talking about the Elitedawg meetings at Ryan's.

Does your Taco Bell employer know you'd prefer to have your Elitedawgs meetings at Ryan's, or did the Tuohy's expand into other franchises?

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Won't matter we won't lose to Old Misses this year.

Well 61, you have brought the truth in this thread. However we will lose in Oxford ......unless they have an epic meltdown between now and then.

msbulldog
08-12-2016, 12:54 PM

years were an outlier.

Gun you are a young whippersnapper, my freshman year Bob Tyler was in his first year. Believe me I have seen some really bad football, but I have also lived through some Glorious moments! This is probably the most consistent MSU football I have seen in 50 years of watching.

msbulldog
08-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Wondered the same thing myself?