PDA

View Full Version : Any Rumors from Practice?

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Goodness, I'm starving here. Anyone hearing anything?

Surely something is leaking out

starkvegasdawg
08-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Looks like everyone is wearing their Depends.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2016, 10:04 PM
I hear we have another QB battle on our hands: it's between a converted WR, a TE/FB, and a graduate assistant**

Dallas_Dawg
08-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Some random information would be awesome about now

gtowndawg
08-09-2016, 10:40 PM

Well, my 7 year old team had a kid throw up in his helmet today, and our lineman didn't know what it meant when we said go on one.

That's all I got...

missouridawg
08-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Well, my 7 year old team had a kid throw up in his helmet today, and our lineman didn't know what it meant when we said go on one.

That's all I got...

A few years ago, in grad school, I put a co-Ed team together. Everyone over the age of 25. Long story short.... Opposing teams defensive rusher was jumping hard on the snap count, so I tell everyone that the next play, lets go on 2. All 3 girls in the game had absolutely zero clue what that meant. I was so shocked I couldn't even explain it to them.

BossDawg
08-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Yeah I wouldn't complain about some solid running back rumors.

Bothrops
08-10-2016, 12:48 AM
I read somewhere, that Alec Murphy is a weight room boss. That's all.

maroonmania
08-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Doubt we are going to know much about anything until at least the first scrimmage.

Reason2succeed
08-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Watching Fred Ross video you can see that he gets visibly excited when talking about Donald Gray. Also, when he says that all of the QBs are equal and bring different things to the table I believe him.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Watching Fred Ross video you can see that he gets visibly excited when talking about Donald Gray. Also, when he says that all of the QBs are equal and bring different things to the table I believe him.

Although a little different, this reminds me of the Relf and Russell QB battle in 2010. Some quotes from back then:

Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen says he has no idea who will be the starting quarterback in 22 days when the Bulldogs open the 2010. The winner of the battle between junior Chris Relf and red-shirt freshman Tyler Russell and even true freshman Dylan Favre, at least publicly coming from the head coach, will not be announced for “quite awhile.” “Each of them have their strengths and I’ll see things out of both of them that are good,” Mullen said. “If there is a one or a two and something happens to our number one quarterback, the number two guy will jump in there and not miss a beat.” - See more at: http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/content/mullen-doesnt-expect-settle-qb-soon#sthash.cIHIriBC.dpuf

(on the quarterback battle between Chris Relf and Tyler Russell): “I don’t think there’s much. Each of them has their strengths. I see certain things out of both of them that are good, but I also see things from both of them that are glaring mistakes as young players will do. That is a battle that will not be decided for quite a while now. We are going to put them both in situations and hopefully have both of them ready to play. If we get in a situation where there is a number one and number two and our number one goes down, our number two is ready to step up.” http://footballscoop.com/archive-news/dan-mullen-talks-qb-situation-concern-at-wide-receiver-position/

Tripp McNeely
08-10-2016, 11:15 AM

and supposedly according to an interview with Paul Jones this morning, Ross was battling a groin injury all of last season...he's going to be sick!!

starkvegasdawg
08-10-2016, 11:34 AM
and supposedly according to an interview with Paul Jones this morning, Ross was battling a groin injury all of last season...he's going to be sick!!

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the Bears with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Wet Dawg
08-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the Bears with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Best movie ever

mstatefan91
08-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Coach Mullen is calling the police on any player that he no longer deems worthy of his program. Or so I heard...

Reason2succeed
08-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Although a little different, this reminds me of the Relf and Russell QB battle in 2010. Some quotes from back then:

Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen says he has no idea who will be the starting quarterback in 22 days when the Bulldogs open the 2010. The winner of the battle between junior Chris Relf and red-shirt freshman Tyler Russell and even true freshman Dylan Favre, at least publicly coming from the head coach, will not be announced for “quite awhile.” “Each of them have their strengths and I’ll see things out of both of them that are good,” Mullen said. “If there is a one or a two and something happens to our number one quarterback, the number two guy will jump in there and not miss a beat.” - See more at: http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/content/mullen-doesnt-expect-settle-qb-soon#sthash.cIHIriBC.dpuf

(on the quarterback battle between Chris Relf and Tyler Russell): “I don’t think there’s much. Each of them has their strengths. I see certain things out of both of them that are good, but I also see things from both of them that are glaring mistakes as young players will do. That is a battle that will not be decided for quite a while now. We are going to put them both in situations and hopefully have both of them ready to play. If we get in a situation where there is a number one and number two and our number one goes down, our number two is ready to step up.” http://footballscoop.com/archive-news/dan-mullen-talks-qb-situation-concern-at-wide-receiver-position/

Relf won out that year because he could run and keep the chains moving and was least likely to turn the ball over if I remember correctly. I think that points to Fitz being the most likely QB (no surprise there). But I expect to see the #2 guy get reps in non-conference games.

I expect that Tiano will likely be used like a young Tebow behind Chris Leak if he is used at all. Goal line and short yardage situations that Fitz's running style may not be suited for. I see Fitz as a more Vince Young type runner.

BeardoMSU
08-10-2016, 11:49 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to starkvegasdawg34 again.

7 feet tall, my ass!**

Wet Dawg
08-10-2016, 11:51 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to starkvegasdawg34 again.

7 feet tall, my ass!**

Its my Ireland...I own it!

Irondawg
08-10-2016, 11:52 AM
QB if it's anybody other than Fitz and Tiano I'm going to be surprised. Staley has the best arm but at least in limited opportunities to view him seems to be behind the other two in every other area.

RB is the one I'm most interested in. I think it's going to be Williams and Gibson in th end getting most of the work. Murphy did a lot to impress in the Spring game and is a darkhorse especially if Williams has ball security issues again. Holloway will be used in space and try to hit a few HR's with him.

Political Hack
08-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Rumor alert: Despite it being his job to cover our football team, Bonner can't tell the difference between our track coach and our football coach.

Political Hack
08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
QB if it's anybody other than Fitz and Tiano I'm going to be surprised. Staley has the best arm but at least in limited opportunities to view him seems to be behind the other two in every other area.

RB is the one I'm most interested in. I think it's going to be Williams and Gibson in th end getting most of the work. Murphy did a lot to impress in the Spring game and is a darkhorse especially if Williams has ball security issues again. Holloway will be used in space and try to hit a few HR's with him.

We've got a stable of 2nd string RBs right now. None of them are premier SEC types yet, but a few could become that.

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-10-2016, 01:11 PM
We've got a stable of 2nd string RBs right now. None of them are premier SEC types yet, but a few could become that.

How much of that is the OL though? I think if we have a league average OL this season one or two of the RB's will break out and have a nice season.

maroonmania
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM

And that's kind of frustrating given that Shumpert, Williams and Gibson were all 4 star recruits. Of course, I realize that Williams and Gibson still have the bulk of their career ahead of them. Would be nice though if somebody would jump out and separate themselves from the pack.

preachermatt83
08-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Williams and Murphy have the potential to be all-sec backs. Murphy specifically. He won't see a ton of carries this year but next year watch out.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Williams and Murphy have the potential to be all-sec backs. Murphy specifically. He won't see a ton of carries this year but next year watch out.

Change that Murphy to Gibson & I agree.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2016, 02:44 PM

I agree. Gibson may be the most talented all around RB on our roster it appears.

I still think Aeris is being overlooked too by some of our fans though. He works hard from what I hear, and he has all the tools. He could have a JRob level break out season if we do indeed go to the ground game more as we suspect, and assuming we get decent OL play. I like Aeris

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-10-2016, 02:47 PM
I agree. Gibson may be the most talented all around RB on our roster it appears.

I still think Aeris is being overlooked too by some of our fans though. He works hard from what I hear, and he has all the tools. He could have a JRob level break out season if we do indeed go to the ground game more as we suspect, and assuming we get decent OL play. I like Aeris

It's easy to forget that he's entering his RS Sophomore season and hasn't run behind a good SEC O-Line yet, but when he gets his chances he has to hold on to the ball.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2016, 02:50 PM
It's easy to forget that he's entering his RS Sophomore season and hasn't run behind a good SEC O-Line yet, but when he gets his chances he has to hold on to the ball.

No doubt. What makes me think he could surprise is that he apparently takes coaching really well and is dedicated to making himself the best. As a Soph, if a guy has that mindset combined with tools like he has....I think it's far too early to start looking to younger guys. But we'll see. You're right, ball security is one thing that can override anything else you bring to the table as a RB if you don't have it.

Reason2succeed
08-10-2016, 02:55 PM
How many of you would agree that either this offense is going to be great or it is going to be terrible? I don't see much possibility of it being in between.

Either we find a QB that can operate the offense and make the passes when needed or we will have an offense that stalls out on third downs and in the red zone.
Either we will have a good running game from our RBs and OL or we will get stuffed in the backfield consistently.
Either this offense will be explosive or it will just explode.

Taog Redloh
08-10-2016, 03:01 PM
How many of you would agree that either this offense is going to be great or it is going to be terrible? I don't see much possibility of it being in between.

Either we find a QB that can operate the offense and make the passes when needed or we will have an offense that stalls out on third downs and in the red zone.
Either we will have a good running game from our RBs and OL or we will get stuffed in the backfield consistently.
Either this offense will be explosive or it will just explode.

Couldn't disagree more.

I think the offense will be Relf-tastic. Going to be efficient yet we won't have many big plays unless they are coach-called. Ross will make a few here and there but not like if Dak was QB. In other words, while our talent is lesser at the skill spots, the rest is OK.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Couldn't disagree more.

I think the offense will be Relf-tastic. Going to be efficient yet we won't have many big plays unless they are coach-called. Ross will make a few here and there but not like if Dak was QB. In other words, while our talent is lesser at the skill spots, the rest is OK.

Thing is I don't think we have less talent we just have smaller guys. Dear, Gray, Mixon, Holloway, Myles are all guys that can go 80 on a given play. We're more explosive just less experienced.

RiverCityDawg
08-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Thing is I don't think we have less talent we just have smaller guys. Dear, Gray, Mixon, Holloway, Myles are all guys that can go 80 on a given play. We're more explosive just less experienced.

Agree. I think we'll have more big plays, not less, but maybe a little less consistent when it comes to moving the chains.

preachermatt83
08-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Gibson is talented no doubt but I can give you exactly 30 reasons(Lbs) why Murphy is an SEC back ahead of Gibson.

Jarius
08-10-2016, 05:30 PM
We weren't a terrible offense with Tyson Lee. Dan Mullen is not going to field a terrible offense.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Gibson is talented no doubt but I can give you exactly 30 reasons(Lbs) why Murphy is an SEC back ahead of Gibson.

We'll see

Jarius
08-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Iyok, what's the word on Simmons and his ankle? How seriously is that ankle bothering him? Is this something that will nag all year or will he be good to go health wise by week 2?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-10-2016, 06:56 PM
ball security is one thing that can override anything else you bring to the table as a RB if you don't have it.

It applies to the position for sure, but I think it's more of a reflection of how Mullen does things. He plays the guys who make the routine plays at a high level and guys he trusts not to miss a blocking assignment or blow a coverage.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Agree. I think we'll have more big plays, not less, but maybe a little less consistent when it comes to moving the chains.

If we can get a legitimate threat to run at QB and we can spread people out, small and quick receivers can be deadly on third down as long as it's not in the red zone. If we can get the TE's to step up and provide a threat in the middle, we could be dangerous....lot's of if's though haha

Bothrops
08-10-2016, 07:09 PM
We have Rb's. Lee should have been the big power guy last year, but that's a dead issue now. Murphy and Gibson have the best combination of speed and strength going forward. Wilson could add to that group, we'll see what he's got here shortly.

If I had my picks of the group, it'd be Lee, Murphy, and Gibson.

bulldawg28
08-10-2016, 08:15 PM
We have Rb's. Lee should have been the big power guy last year, but that's a dead issue now. Murphy and Gibson have the best combination of speed and strength going forward. Wilson could add to that group, we'll see what he's got here shortly.

If I had my picks of the group, it'd be Lee, Murphy, and Gibson.

I agree with these 3.

Reason2succeed
08-10-2016, 09:35 PM
It applies to the position for sure, but I think it's more of a reflection of how Mullen does things. He plays the guys who make the routine plays at a high level and guys he trusts not to miss a blocking assignment or blow a coverage.

...Which is smart because these are the things that really get you beat. Remember the debacle Auburn had with their snap that cost them a TD against us? Remember Dak's penalty that cost us yards before kicking the FG against LSU?

For some reason I believe Nick Gibson is the guy at RB. I hope he will come out and have some big runs against Salabama and Scarolina and win the job going forward.

Political Hack
08-10-2016, 10:11 PM
We weren't a terrible offense with Tyson Lee. Dan Mullen is not going to field a terrible offense.

I'd generally agree with this statement. As long as Mullen is around, we'll be decent at worst on O. The defense has a chance to be great, but we've seen that slip past us before. Hopefully this time is different.

PassInterference
08-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Is it bad I still dream of the 3-headed monster that was Dak, DeRunnya, and J-Rob? Damn, that was lethal.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 12:26 AM
Is it bad I still dream of the 3-headed monster that was Dak, DeRunnya, and J-Rob? Damn, that was lethal.

It will be like that again with Keytaon, Kylin and Malik Heath in about three or four years. Maybe even better because we’ll probably have McMath, Austin Williams, and Monterio Hunt to go along with them.

Bothrops
08-11-2016, 01:37 AM
If we find our qb quickly, and improve on defense, we will be set for a while.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2016, 06:40 AM

We also had a good OL and Anthony Dixon back then. There ain't no Anthony Dixon on this team.

Todd4State
08-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Dan needs to use a two running back system with Aeris and Gibson but I doubt he will do that.

Jarius
08-11-2016, 07:31 AM
We also had a good OL and Anthony Dixon back then. There ain't no Anthony Dixon on this team.

We didn't have a good oline in 2011 and we didn't have Anthony Dixon on that team and we still were not terrible on offense. We are not going to be terrible offensively. We may not be as good as the past few years, but we won't be awful

lamont
08-11-2016, 07:38 AM
We didn't have a good oline in 2011 and we didn't have Anthony Dixon on that team and we still were not terrible on offense. We are not going to be terrible offensively. We may not be as good as the past few years, but we won't be awful

We weren't Crooms bad- but we were 9th in a 12 team SEC in scoring in 2011. That's not very good

Spiderman
08-11-2016, 07:59 AM

That's the deal.

Give me good linemen and average backs all day everyday. Even 1 round draft pick RB's can't do a damn thing without blocking

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-11-2016, 08:21 AM
I caught Head2Head yesterday on the way to an appointment and Paul Jones was on: http://www.supertalk.fm/archives/audio-archives/h2h-archives/?recording_id=18679 (29:00 mark)

He said that he thinks Fitz is the guy at QB and that the battle is for the #2 spot.

Johnson85
08-11-2016, 10:10 AM

We weren't terrible, but we were pretty mediocre. It wasn't our D that limited us to 7 wins; it was pretty much that our offense didn't give us a chance against solid SEC teams.

JoseBrown
08-11-2016, 10:15 AM
I caught Head2Head yesterday on the way to an appointment and Paul Jones was on: http://www.supertalk.fm/archives/audio-archives/h2h-archives/?recording_id=18679 (29:00 mark)

He said that he thinks Fitz is the guy at QB and that the battle is for the #2 spot.

When John Bond was on with Hal Mumme last week he was also asked about the QB situation. He responded that he thought Fitz would be just fine. Never even mentioned anyone else.

For some reason I think it's a story for the media to talk about until Dan is ready for them too not speculate any longer. Damian said last year he wasn't leaving wether he played or not. Said he just wants to be at State or something similar. Tiano will be a great backup ready to takeover wen Fitz is done. Just my $.02.

Jarius
08-11-2016, 10:17 AM
We weren't terrible, but we were pretty mediocre. It wasn't our D that limited us to 7 wins; it was pretty much that our offense didn't give us a chance against solid SEC teams.

We gave up over 40 on defense twice that resulted in losses, so yea it was the defense in some cases. We are mediocre against solid SEC defenses every year. We are always going to be able to move the ball against SEC teams that don't have a really good defense, and the only teams that are in that category this year are bama, lsu, and ole miss.

War Machine Dawg
08-11-2016, 08:17 PM
We also had a good OL and Anthony Dixon back then. There ain't no Crxxm OL on this team.

FIFY

Really Clark?
08-11-2016, 09:11 PM
We gave up over 40 on defense twice that resulted in losses, so yea it was the defense in some cases. We are mediocre against solid SEC defenses every year. We are always going to be able to move the ball against SEC teams that don't have a really good defense, and the only teams that are in that category this year are bama, lsu, and ole miss.

Can I ask what makes you put UNM in that category? Their defense last year was actually 10th in scoring in conference only games. We were 9th.

defiantdog
08-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Well..... Keith Mixon ran a 4.3 and looked like he was jogging.

Bothrops
08-12-2016, 08:53 AM

We were an exploding sewage capsule on defense last year.

EngDawg
08-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I have it from a reliable source that the entire offensive line has torn their ACLs****

ILOATHEBears
08-12-2016, 12:44 PM
I have it from a reliable source that the entire offensive line has torn their ACLs****

Inside scoop- our starting QB will be Nick