PDA

View Full Version : Question about the viper position

tireddawg
08-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Is this guy gonna be a rush end mainly, run-stopper, cover, or all? What's his main job gonna be? I know how that position has been used, generally speaking, but how does Sirmon plan to use them?
Sorry if been discussed

msbulldog
08-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Use is primarily dictated by offence being faced and game situation. Passing situation. cover and rush depending on yards needed and formation. Running situation help DL in gaps.

mcain31
08-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Viper will do it all. That position will provide the 4th body on the line in certain fronts. The front (even, over, under, etc) will dictate the primary responsibility for Vipers

Todd4State
08-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Being old school- I think it's what Charles Haley played in the NFL. A hybrid DE/OLB but probably even more versatile in today's brand of football.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Posted this video in the other thread. Is the "Viper" the Will LB?

Wade Phillips does a great job of simply explaining the defense & giving us the names of his famous players that played each position. This helps me get a visual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupBixjjyZY

NG - Suh, Vince Wilford

DE - JJ Watt, Bruce Smith

Sam LB - Von Miller

Will LB - DeMarcus Ware

3-4 Inside LB - Patrick Willis

mcain31
08-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Being old school- I think it's what Charles Haley played in the NFL. A hybrid DE/OLB but probably even more versatile in today's brand of football.
Perfect example. They called Haley's position Elephant

msbulldog
08-09-2016, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;591297]Posted this video in the other thread. Is the "Viper" the Will LB?

Wade Phillips does a great job of simply explaining the defense & giving us the names of his famous players that played each position. This helps me get a visual

Great post learned a lot, just wish Wade had a cowboy hat and the Texas accent his Dad did, Podnuh!

ClangaDawg
08-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if I was the only one that didn't know what the "viper" position entailed.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2016, 07:15 PM
I've been reading about the differences between the 3-4 & 4-3 defenses this evening & there are a lot opinions on which defense is better.

For the most part, statistically in the NFL, they shake about the same, but the majority of the playoff teams recently have run the 3-4 scheme.

Basically, the it boils down to this: the 4-3 is less complex. The DL attacks & the linebackers tackle & cover. The weakness of the 4-3 is that you've got to get pressure with the 4 down linemen, which usually requires an elite 5 star DE type.

The 3-4 is more complex as LBs are asked to rush & cover, but it also allows for more complex blitz packages & hybrid type players. Simply, it's more difficult to prepare for if run correctly.

Now, IMO I'm excited about our move to the 3-4 because, so long as we can find a NG or two, we have a much better chance at landing the types of hybrids & LB necessary to run a great 3-4 than we do landing 5 star defensive ends that make the 4-3 work.

Spiderman
08-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Is this guy gonna be a rush end mainly, run-stopper, cover, or all? What's his main job gonna be? I know how that position has been used, generally speaking, but how does Sirmon plan to use them?
Sorry if been discussed

It will be a boundary side OLB, who will have eyes in the backfield mainly. More rusher than coverage.

The "Star" LB will be more coverage, space player.

This defense will be the most radical change since Joe Lee came.

I pray it works.

ShotgunDawg
08-09-2016, 08:41 PM
This defense will be the most radical change since Joe Lee came.

I pray it works.

My hot take is that we will have some growing pains that are combined with bigger plays than we've seen in the past.

Due to the complexity of LB play in the 3-4, my guess is that we have some linebackers get caught in LaLa land & give up some big plays early in the season. However, I also expect to create more turnovers & get more pressure on the QB at the same time.

I think LSU will gash us with power & our NGs will wear out, but I also expect us to figure some things out as the season progresses, which in turn will offer us a better chance of beating A&M & Ole Miss later in the season. I think a 3-4 defense is perfect against both those offenses since they aren't likely to pound the ball down our throat.