PDA

View Full Version : How does this o line get you to number 12 preseason?

Jack Lambert
08-08-2016, 04:51 PM
The first-team offense line was, from left to right, redshirt freshman Alex Givens, sophomore Javon Patterson, redshirt senior Robert Conyers, redshirt sophomore Jordan Sims and redshirt sophomore Sean Rawlings.

Jarius
08-08-2016, 05:08 PM
It's amazing how much people think of them. They won 9 games with more talent and and easier schedule last year but people think they are going to be just as good. They have a good quarterback, some good receivers, and a good freshman signing class. Other than that they have recruited very mediocre compared to the rest of the division. It's mind boggling. They will be lucky to win 8 games.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2016, 05:14 PM
It's amazing how much people think of them. They won 9 games with more talent and and easier schedule last year but people think they are going to be just as good. They have a good quarterback, some good receivers, and a good freshman signing class. Other than that they have recruited very mediocre compared to the rest of the division. It's mind boggling. They will be lucky to win 8 games.

And they have massive probation coming

HancockCountyDog
08-08-2016, 05:25 PM
The first-team offense line was, from left to right, redshirt freshman Alex Givens, sophomore Javon Patterson, redshirt senior Robert Conyers, redshirt sophomore Jordan Sims and redshirt sophomore Sean Rawlings.

They are solid up the middle, weak on the edges. I was told they wanted to move Rawlings inside where he will be less of a liability, but it looks like they couldn't do it.

I really wish we could play them early, they will be a much easier team to beat early while they are still figuring things out.

MedDawg
08-08-2016, 05:34 PM

THE Bruce Dickinson
08-08-2016, 05:42 PM
I am with you. They have 3 1st round picks leave in the draft, and they think they will be better than last year. They certainly think pretty highly of themselves.

There is an outside shot they start 2-5 with losses to FSU, Bama, UGA, LSU, and at Ark. I would love to see the doomsday melt down that would occur if that happened.

They are going to be a decent team who still can't run the ball, will be slightly worse in the passing game, and worse on D. 7-5

Dawgfan77
08-08-2016, 06:01 PM
When the top ESPN recruiting guy says that little is good but he ain't no tunsil. Also why is the DL that hit his girlfriend practicing when he was suspended by Freeze from all team activity? This is the inmates running the asylum

dickiedawg
08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
They beat Alabama.

lastmajordog
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
As long as they have good/great WR's and a good/great arm at QB with a 2-3 step throw offense, they will negate a lot of great def lines. Also I'm beginning to think Womack and company are pretty decent coaches because they do get their lb/sec to FLY to the ball. Like I said before I have no faith in Fla St and Georgia and truly believe something they do bothers Saban. Now will they get the big head and screw the pooch....of course. Eli fell over his own centers foot, Kimdechee ran right past the qb (great call Arky)....so yes they will falter. But they will have a good team....and Dan needs to be thinking about what he is going to do different than the last several years or there will be some sore heads on this board again..hope I'm wrong......JMHO

mic
08-08-2016, 08:10 PM
As long as they have good/great WR's and a good/great arm at QB with a 2-3 step throw offense, they will negate a lot of great def lines. Also I'm beginning to think Womack and company are pretty decent coaches because they do get their lb/sec to FLY to the ball. Like I said before I have no faith in Fla St and Georgia and truly believe something they do bothers Saban. Now will they get the big head and screw the pooch....of course. Eli fell over his own centers foot, Kimdechee ran right past the qb (great call Arky)....so yes they will falter. But they will have a good team....and Dan needs to be thinking about what he is going to do different than the last several years or there will be some sore heads on this board again..hope I'm wrong......JMHO

No faith in Fal St? They might win the whole thing...

lastmajordog
08-08-2016, 08:17 PM
No faith in Fal St? They might win the whole thing...

NO faith in Fla St doing what they should do and wear that butt out. Isn't the spread only 6 points? Would love for Jimbo to make a statement.....we shall see.

lamont
08-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Fla State is going to beat Mississippi by 10+

Fla State returns damn near everyone in the trenches. That is where football games are won.

Bodawg
08-08-2016, 08:29 PM

I hear you. This ain't Alabama. AL reloads with 4 & 5 star talent. There's a huge drop off in talent from those first rounders to this years replacements. Add to that the NCAA still snooping around, and knowing that heavy sanctions are coming. This team has the making of a complete implosion.

Really Clark?
08-08-2016, 08:35 PM

They had one great defense in 2014 and then Allen left. They were 10th in scoring defense last year in conference games. Wommack is back to about where his defenses usually end up ranked.

IMissJack
08-08-2016, 08:41 PM

Fla State returns damn near everyone in the trenches. That is where football games are won.

Rep given for a"Mississippi reference". Thanks Jackie.

Todd4State
08-08-2016, 08:48 PM

It's also in Orlando which is pretty much a FSU home site.

Spiderman
08-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Their O-Line, with Rawlings starting, and no Tunsil, hung 40, and 433 yards on Bama last year.

They scheme to protect their O-line. 3 step drop timing and quick reads, usually one read, then run with it or throw it away.

Unlike us last year, who with a weak o-line of our own, tried to stay in the pocket and get to the 2nd and 3rd reads.

They rely on the quick game so much, plus the advantage of having linemen down field on 90% of their seam throws. But hey, just like their recruiting... cheating works, as long as you don't get caught.

They have benefited mightily, from 2 JUCO QB's. if not for them, Hugh Freeze would have already been shit canned. He can survive a weak OL, but not a weak QB.

They will move the ball again this year as long as the thug is behind center..

Maroons
08-08-2016, 09:08 PM
Their O-Line, with Rawlings starting, and no Tunsil, hung 40, and 433 yards on Bama last year.

That is soooo misleading.

Spiderman
08-08-2016, 09:15 PM
That is soooo misleading.

How is putting 433 on Bama misleading?

Commercecomet24
08-08-2016, 09:26 PM
They had one great defense in 2014 and then Allen left. They were 10th in scoring defense last year in conference games. Wommack is back to about where his defenses usually end up ranked.

This^^^. There defense will slip even more this year. They lost a ton and Tony Conner is not recovering well from his injury. They gonna have problems on D.

DownwardDawg
08-08-2016, 10:01 PM

Five TO's and 2 freak luck plays.

Oh, and I would have loved to play Bama when they did the past two years.

lamont
08-08-2016, 10:06 PM
They got 70 of those yards on one of the biggest fluke plays you will see

They had the stars align for them in T-Town. Fla State has had all offseason to prep for them. That's huge for them and will help their D tremendously

Todd4State
08-08-2016, 10:22 PM

And how many turnovers did Alabama have that game?

Todd4State
08-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Five TO's and 2 freak luck plays.

Oh, and I would have loved to play Bama when they did the past two years.

Not to mention Lane Kiffen deciding that he should completely abandon the run for some God unknown reason that defies any logic whatsoever.

msbulldog
08-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Not to mention Lane Kiffen deciding that he should completely abandon the run for some God unknown reason that defies any logic whatsoever.

Defies logic except his brother coaches at Mississippi, Hmm?

lamont
08-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Lane has done that 2 years in a row vs Mississippi

Jarius
08-09-2016, 08:03 AM

Did you watch the game? They had a play that 99 % of the time would be a turnover somehow turn into a 70 yard touchdown pass and catch. They also had a ton of additional opportunities because they had 5 turnovers, 1 on the opening kickoff in the red zone.

louisvilledawg
08-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Is the dude from calloway that peed his pants at the UA game still around? Figured he would be starting by now

lastmajordog
08-09-2016, 08:17 AM
And how many turnovers did Alabama have that game?

And how many did they have against us and the rest of the SEC???...... which is my point. In years past UNM would not have scored off those turnovers in the red zone, but did last year. And Alabama was struggling or at least laboring with the run. If they were running at will(4 or 5 YPC) they would have had lots more first downs and would have stayed with it even though they were down. And Yes WHO WOULDN'T want to play Bama early??? Who would put ARKY tween BAMA and UNM??? It just shows there is some strange fall voodoo going on. On a further note, Preacher played the H### out of Satan his first year, lost @25 to 13 I think .....but played a TOUGH game and didn't have JackShiite for talent. Again I say Dan (and Satan) need to worry about what to do different this year.....I've been wrong lots before and hope I am this year....."We shall see said the Zen Master" Charlie Wilson's War

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-09-2016, 08:26 AM
And how about Cooper 17'n Bateman starting the game?...If Coker played the whole game, Bama wins by 2 TDs.

Really Clark?
08-09-2016, 09:58 AM
And how many did they have against us and the rest of the SEC???...... which is my point. In years past UNM would not have scored off those turnovers in the red zone, but did last year. And Alabama was struggling or at least laboring with the run. If they were running at will(4 or 5 YPC) they would have had lots more first downs and would have stayed with it even though they were down. And Yes WHO WOULDN'T want to play Bama early??? Who would put ARKY tween BAMA and UNM??? It just shows there is some strange fall voodoo going on. On a further note, Preacher played the H### out of Satan his first year, lost @25 to 13 I think .....but played a TOUGH game and didn't have JackShiite for talent. Again I say Dan (and Satan) need to worry about what to do different this year.....I've been wrong lots before and hope I am this year....."We shall see said the Zen Master" Charlie Wilson's War

Alabama avg 5.12 yards per carry in that game, higher than their season avg of 4.67 per game. It was the only game where they threw more (59 attempts) than ran the ball (42 attempts). Their only loss came when they threw the ball nearly 60% of the time instead of running the ball the 59% of the plays like their season average. I really think you have missed the plot of what happened that game and who Alabama was and should have been doing. The 5 TO was the major issue and even with that it was a 1 score game.

lastmajordog
08-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Alabama avg 5.12 yards per carry in that game, higher than their season avg of 4.67 per game. It was the only game where they threw more (59 attempts) than ran the ball (42 attempts). Their only loss came when they threw the ball nearly 60% of the time instead of running the ball the 59% of the plays like their season average. I really think you have missed the plot of what happened that game and who Alabama was and should have been doing. The 5 TO was the major issue and even with that it was a 1 score game.

great stats, I just seem to remember them not getting those yards on third down attempts, maybe i'm just remembering wrong.....how did those running stats compare to the year before???

Bubb Rubb
08-09-2016, 10:42 AM
The Bovada thread reminded me that I had picked State there last season (O/U 7, I took the over). I had stopped making picks before the end of last season, so I forgot I had won the 2015 O/U. For those who didn't see the recent thread, Bovada had (mistakenly) listed MSU for 2016 over/under 9.5 regular season games, then all the bets were later cancelled and MSU's O/U removed.

Yesterday when I checked Bovada MSU was still not on there at all, but Ole Miss was for O/U 9.5 regular season games. I took the under.

You should be arrested for grand larceny.

Bubb Rubb
08-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Alabama lost to Ole Miss last year for three reasons:

1. Alabama didn't stick with the run. Lane Kiffin couldn't help himself. Maybe you've forgotten the camera shots of Saban in his ass all game for his playcalling.
2. Broken plays - Ole Miss fans who get mad for the 4th and 25 against arkansas forget that they were due after the long TD pass that was batted and bobbled.
3. Officials - by and large, I don't like to criticize officials, but in that game, they let Ole Miss linemen downfield repeatedly, which was jacking with the reads of the Alabama linebackers. One of their TDs was a play where Kelly threw the ball on the run behind a linebacker and two offensive linemen were five yards upfield. Disgraceful.

They won, but it wasn't like they lined up and beat the crap out of them. If Alabama sticks to the run and controls the clock, it's probably a different outcome.

blacklistedbully
08-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Last year Bama beat themselves along with help from the refs (allowing o-linemen downfield on passing plays). 5 t/o margin against Bama, yet they still damn near pulled it out. And don't forget UNM got a freak TD on a play where Chad Kelly just threw up a hail mary, had it bounce off a Bama defender's helmet right into the hands of a UNM WR for a TD.

That was nothing more than a perfect storm for UNM, without which nobody is talking about how they, "beat" Bama 2 yrs in a row.

Truth is...if a team enjoys a 5 t/o margin, they should win by about 40 points in an equally played game. Winning by just 6 when you have that kind of advantage indicates your team was vastly outplayed and/or out-coached, but for the t/o's.

Really Clark?
08-09-2016, 11:56 AM
great stats, I just seem to remember them not getting those yards on third down attempts, maybe i'm just remembering wrong.....how did those running stats compare to the year before???

The year before they avg 3.82 yards per carry against UNM

DownwardDawg
08-09-2016, 12:28 PM
The year before they avg 3.82 yards per carry against UNM

And both years they stopped running the ball for some stupid reason. In 2014, they were racking up yards on the ground just before the half. Then they stopped running.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Lane has done that 2 years in a row vs Mississippi

Lane was hired by the Network...He screwed around with the offense to allow Freeze to beat them and then he back-doored Freeze and the Network by exposing OM to jockey for the head gig at OM..His wife loves it there and will fit right in.

parabrave
08-09-2016, 12:40 PM
They beat Alabama.

No Bama beat themselves 2 years ago. When you go back and look at the films you will notice that 2 years ago Kiffen changed the off game plan in the 3rd qtr. OM couldn't stop the running game. But the Kiffen inexplicably abandoned the run and went to a passing attack during a 3rd qtr drive and the drive stalled.. I remember Saban just chewing on Kiffen in the 4th qtr. Last year OM just got lucky as hell

HSVDawg
08-09-2016, 01:00 PM

You have to look a little deeper than that. They threw a lot more than they ran because they got down early (due to TO's) and got down by multiple TD's in the 3rd / 4th quarter. That was the only game all year that they weren't spending the entire 4th quarter running down the clock while protecting a double digit lead. Shoud they have run a little more? Probably. But the deviation from the mean wasn't just decided by the coaching staff. It was largely driven by how that game unfolded vs. every other game on their schedule.

BB30
08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
I dislike OM as much as the next guy. But I would have surely taken 5 TO's and a win against Bama 2 yrs in a row. The fact is they did it. It does not matter how but they did. Generally, after you beat a team a couple of times you start to gain some confidence that you can and will beat them again. Those saying that Bama and FSU will roll over OM might be in for a surprise. Not saying they will win both of those games but it certainly would not surprise me if they find a way to win one or both. Alabama is breaking in a new QB again and also lost some talent up front being in Oxford I expect it will be a decent game.

Bubb Rubb
08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
You have to look a little deeper than that. They threw a lot more than they ran because they got down early (due to TO's) and got down by multiple TD's in the 3rd / 4th quarter. That was the only game all year that they weren't spending the entire 4th quarter running down the clock while protecting a double digit lead. Shoud they have run a little more? Probably. But the deviation from the mean wasn't just decided by the coaching staff. It was largely driven by how that game unfolded vs. every other game on their schedule.

You are correct.. My recollection of both games are running together. The first year is when Alabama abandoned the run game too early. The second game was when they had to dig out of the hole early.

Bubb Rubb
08-09-2016, 01:30 PM
I dislike OM as much as the next guy. But I would have surely taken 5 TO's and a win against Bama 2 yrs in a row. The fact is they did it. It does not matter how but they did. Generally, after you beat a team a couple of times you start to gain some confidence that you can and will beat them again. Those saying that Bama and FSU will roll over OM might be in for a surprise. Not saying they will win both of those games but it certainly would not surprise me if they find a way to win one or both. Alabama is breaking in a new QB again and also lost some talent up front being in Oxford I expect it will be a decent game.

I am more certain that Ole Miss loses both of these game comfortably than I am of the sun coming up tomorrow.

Really Clark?
08-09-2016, 01:47 PM

The score was 17-10 at the half and they had thrown the ball about 55% of the time eventhough they only got down by 2 scores for one drive in which they scored to make it 17-10. It was just 3-0 after the first (gift of the opening kickoff fumble). Start of the second Bama ties the game. Mid way through the second Bama throws the pick that leads to UNM scoring a TD from Bama's 26 yard line. The second gift. UNM kicks off and Bama fumbles UNM recovers at Bama 18. UNM scores to go up 17-3. The very next drive Bama scores to make it 17-10. UNM runs out the clock. So the game for the vast majority of the first half was never more than a 3 point differential except for the INT, fumble kickoff that got them behind 2 scores. Yet they were at 55% throwing vs running the ball.

BulldogDX55
08-09-2016, 02:43 PM

Joined up Jul. 2016, calls OM "Mississippi", and is taking over Sunday Morning QB?

Hi C34!