PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see Brett Favre in Gruden's QB camp?

gtowndawg
08-08-2016, 10:47 AM
I love the QB camp with Gruden so I watched it. Favre said the first things Jerry Glanville (Falcons coach) said to Favre was "Hey Mississippi, what school are you from?" Favre said Southern Miss. He said Jerry said "Gosh dang, we drafted the wrong guy! We wanted the guy from Mississippi State!"

Huh? I'm trying to think back but I don't recall us having anyone that was NFL quality did we? Or had Jerry Glanville done to much skoal that day?

Favre tells the story a 1:30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJtSK9PgQfI

Saltydog
08-08-2016, 10:56 AM
field, that's for sure. The guy just loved to play the game. .

08-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Huh? I'm trying to think back but I don't recall us having anyone that was NFL quality did we? Or had Jerry Glanville done to much skoal that day?

Sounds like you might be taking it too literally.

Bodawg
08-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I believe our starter Favre's senior season was Tony Shell. Don't think he made it to the NFL. Watched Favre's induction in to the NFL Hall of Fame this past weekend. Favre stated that no one offered a scholarship except USM. And then it was at the last minute after an assistant pleaded to get him signed. We've missed out on some great ones from this state that we had every opportunity to sign.

Irondawg
08-08-2016, 11:19 AM
And the story is that assistant saw him in warmups gunning the ball and when USM lost a guy late the assistant pushed to take a shot on Favre. I think he ony threw a couple of passes per game in HS.

Bully13
08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Didn't he have some d1 offers to play safety? Usm was the one that offered as qb?

gtowndawg
08-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Forgot about Tony Shell...

basedog
08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Didn't he have some d1 offers to play safety? Usm was the one that offered as qb?

No, that was Steve McNair.

I wish would could have two HOF guys like Ray Guy and Brett Favre.

Tbonewannabe
08-08-2016, 12:08 PM
No, that was Steve McNair.

I wish would could have two HOF guys like Ray Guy and Brett Favre.

I worked with a guy that was in McNair's recruiting class as his main WR who actually went on other visits with Steve. He said Jackie told him he would be an all pro safety in the NFL. Apparently if you threw the ball downfield then Steve was intercepting it. Alcorn St was the only school willing to let him try out at QB of course his brother had made a name for himself there already. The guy I worked with went to Alcorn so he didn't have to go Juco. He was actually considered a NFL prospect until he blew up his knee going into his senior year.

SaintDawg
08-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I love the QB camp with Gruden so I watched it. Favre said the first things Jerry Glanville (Falcons coach) said to Favre was "Hey Mississippi, what school are you from?" Favre said Southern Miss. He said Jerry said "Gosh dang, we drafted the wrong guy! We wanted the guy from Mississippi State!"

Jerry Glanville was one of the biggest dumbasses and worst coaches in NFL history. A sad, silly man.

gtowndawg
08-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Jerry Glanville was one of the biggest dumbasses and worst coaches in NFL history. A sad, silly man.

That was my impression. You're either a complete moron if you accidentally drafted the wrong person (highly unlikely), or just a jackass trying to make someone feel bad.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2016, 01:04 PM
That was my impression. You're either a complete moron if you accidentally drafted the wrong person (highly unlikely), or just a jackass trying to make someone feel bad.

It was a joke. And a funny one and that. You guys need to lighten up.

Dallas_Dawg
08-08-2016, 01:14 PM
It definitely was a joke but Glanville is a moron.
He used to hate Favre but would make money off of him in practice by getting him to throw it to the upper deck from the field.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
08-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Yep the show was really good!!

lastmajordog
08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Don't think an offer was made to Dave Marler out of HS, even though he was a Dog at heart. Anyone that ever saw him play will never understand that one.

Irondawg
08-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Just finished watching it - really good episode.

BrunswickDawg
08-08-2016, 03:20 PM
As a former Falcons fan I can attest that this is spot on.

SaintDawg
08-08-2016, 04:33 PM
I know it was a joke, boss. I just have a strong disdain for Jerry Glanville. He had ZERO business being a head coach.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Yes, our university's coaches have misevaluated Favre, Rice, Payton, McNair, Pinkston, etc, etc, etc, but I think we are finally in a position where the odds of that happening have significantly dropped.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that if Brett Favre or Steve McNair was at a MS high school today, they would have MSU offers to play QB

Percho
08-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Twenty years, such a short time.

Dawgfan77
08-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Glanville left tickets for Elvis Presley every game ..... I shit you not

DAWGS1
08-08-2016, 10:39 PM
And we had Scott "Opie" Favre on the team as a walk on in 1984 or 1985. He left the team after one year and not sure if he transferred to USM or not but Brett had other relatives at State as well back in the late 80's.
Felker definitely missed out on that opportunity with Favre but so did other coaches when you consider Payton, Rice, Totten, Winder, and others.