PDA

View Full Version : Clarion Ledger

shannondawg
08-08-2016, 10:22 AM
I see where they have reduced their internet only edition to $9.99 per YEAR! It use to be about that much per month.They must be hurting something terrible, maybe us Bullies can take a little credit for that.

I have to confess, I signed up this morning, Certainly not for the sports section, but the other news around the state.

Dawgbite
08-08-2016, 10:26 AM
TRAITOR! United we stand or divided we must for here after be tempted to click on links to Bear propaganda. For Shame, For Shame.

missouridawg
08-08-2016, 10:26 AM
I see where they have reduced their internet only edition to $9.99 per YEAR! It use to be about that much per month.They must be hurting something terrible, maybe us Bullies can take a little credit for that.

I have to confess, I signed up this morning, Certainly not for the sports section, but the other news around the state.

You're the problem. Don't give them a penny.

BeardoMSU
08-08-2016, 10:28 AM

I assume they also accept Confederate bills to accommodate our friends from the north?**

Reason2succeed
08-08-2016, 10:33 AM
The point of this boycott is not to get a lower price. Paying less for crap is still paying for crap. The point is for heads to roll and they hire real objective journalists to cover us and OM. Don't buy and don't click until it is done.

Can we get a couple of people to bring posters to games that say the CL sucks? Maybe get some students to paint their bodies with CL Sux. That would embarrass them on TV and get a lot more publicity and more State fans on the boycott.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Then you just supported Ole Miss this morning. Congrats!

Has anyone seen an article about them grayshirting Connor yet?

drunkernhelldawg
08-08-2016, 10:42 AM
I got it last week. It's a must buy, especially since USA Today is included in the deal. Gotta make sure to cancel when the year is up or it will be ten dollars or so a month. Set a reminder on your phone calendar.

shannondawg
08-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks I will do that. I thought twice about telling that I signed up, but I live out here in the wasteland and my only other alternative is the Tupelo Journal, and that is as worse or more than the CL. I just don't watch the tv news anymore, even Fox unless something is breaking.

JDog13
08-08-2016, 10:50 AM
You know how your kids do stuff to embarrass or disappoint you, but you love them and let them hang around? That's how we feel about you guys right now.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks I will do that. I thought twice about telling that I signed up, but I live out here in the wasteland and my only other alternative is the Tupelo Journal, and that is as worse or more than the CL. I just don't watch the tv news anymore, even Fox unless something is breaking.

If you really feel the need to read it, there are ways to do it for free online and there are plenty of blogs/sites that discuss local politics. Don't give those pricks another dollar.

dawggoneit
08-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Had to explain to my wife why we shouldn't subscribe. She told me she had signed up on some deal they had. It was almost free because she got most of her subscription back with a gift card. She said she would not do it again now she knows the deal. I laughed when she told me why she subscribed in the first place. She's making homemade paper for cards, need news paper to shred, needed paper for our bird cages, and thought I needed some to start the charcoal. Not a word about reading that rag!

Reason2succeed
08-08-2016, 11:11 AM
I know it sounds over the top but we need to really push the boycott campaign.

Think about it this way. When the TV announcers cover State and OM they are going to use CL headlines and articles to put together their talking points. We will hear about Jeffrey Simmons for the entire pregame. Their NOA may never be mentioned. That's why this matters. We need to shut them down.

Bubb Rubb
08-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Hook, line, and sinker.

maroonmania
08-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Then you just supported Ole Miss this morning. Congrats!

Has anyone seen an article about them grayshirting Connor yet?

Exactly, the way I feel about them right now I wouldn't sign up if they paid me 9.99/mo to read them.

shannondawg
08-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Well I checked, annual subscriptions are not refundable. Maybe my $9.96 won't let em turn a profit this year.

Maybe I will make some nasty comments to articles to make up for my transgression. Y'all not going to kick me off edawgs are you?

missouridawg
08-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Well I checked, annual subscriptions are not refundable. Maybe my $9.96 won't let em turn a profit this year.

Maybe I will make some nasty comments to articles to make up for my transgression. Y'all not going to kick me off edawgs are you?

Im not on the membership committee, but I would vote for you to lead the boycott campaign or GTFO. ��

drunkernhelldawg
08-08-2016, 11:33 AM
http://fortune.com/2016/08/08/john-oliver-newspaper-journalism-investifarted/

Political Hack
08-08-2016, 11:36 AM
You know how your kids do stuff to embarrass or disappoint you, but you love them and let them hang around? That's how we feel about you guys right now.

Lmao. That's funny.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Last copy of CL I bought...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26635632/Screen%20Shot%202016-08-08%20at%2010.35.57%20AM.png

basedog
08-08-2016, 11:39 AM

I'm surprised you would give the CL a dime. I cancelled about 2 years ago and haven't missed that rag at all. You are just caught up in a bad habit, change is good shannondawg!

Count Istvan Teleky
08-08-2016, 11:45 AM
We're told on this board to click an ad. Why? It's because the more traffic that is driven through a site increases the value of it. The same is true of C-L.com.

There are some on this board that have resourcefully figured out how to eliminate the cookies from their reading of the C-L articles so that they won't be blocked by C-L after the maximum number of accesses is reached.

However, those clicks are driving value FOR the C-L instead of against it. The clicks are worth more than the $ 9.99 to the C-L.

If you have to do one or the other, the subscription is better. Let me add the caveat that when you do subscribe, get the app and download the 'print' version on your device. It's like reading the newspaper with page turning and seeing the layouts and everything. Far better way to go.

My 2 cents..

1bigdawg
08-08-2016, 11:48 AM
It is not the $9.99 that they want. They want to be able to tell advertisers how many subscribers they have. Even if you never click on an ad, you are giving them much more than $9.99.

While I have not subscribed in many years, the paper version does have a virtue. It is great for starting charcoal fires.

mparkerfd20
08-08-2016, 12:05 PM
Subscribers to the CL should count as Ole Miss Boosters to the NCAA.

Bucky Dog
08-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I ended my $10 per month subscription last month and gladly told them exactly why I was cancelling. As of today I still have access through the app on IPad so I wonder if they are using me as one of their numbers to get advertising.

louisvilledawg
08-08-2016, 12:20 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BooThisMan.gif

sandwolf
08-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Here you go:

http://www.wapt.com/

http://www.msnewsnow.com/

I used to be pretty neutral with regards to the CL.....I wasn't going to subscribe to it, but I also felt like the calls to boycott the paper were stupid and that while a slight OM bias was there, it was greatly exaggerated. But over the past few years, the bias seems to have gotten worse and my opinion of them has slowly shifted from neutral towards negative. Then, over the course of the last year, I have seen the lengths to which they have gone to avoid covering the OM NCAA investigation, and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

1.) They ran off Riley Blevins for interviewing Miller and actually trying to cover the story.
2.) They turned Steve away when he presented them with credible information showing the true depth of the investigation and showing that Bjork was blatantly lying to the public about the severity of the situation (presumably in an effort to keep their signing class together).
3.) And they ignored Steve's recent offer to give them the names of the disassociated boosters so that they could do a story on who they were and what they did to get disassociated.

These are just a few examples of the opportunities that they have had (and passed on) to not only cover the investigation, but to sell an absolute shit load of newspapers in the process. When I see them making bad business decisions in an effort to avoid covering this, it becomes pretty clear to me that the bias is not perceived.....it is real.

So I would encourage you to look to other outlets for your news when possible.

Coldsleeve Jr.
08-08-2016, 01:33 PM
If you're clicking anything in an app or on their website, you are helping them whether you got it for free or not. Gotta cut the cord. I don't understand why someone would waste time reading incredulous stories anyway.