PDA

View Full Version : Maurice Smitherman

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Someone help me figure this out. I just watched the interview with our safety coach Maurice Linguist. When he talked about Smitherman who he refers to as Mo he said that they want him to be able to play corner and safety. On the depth chart they only had him listed as safety. But with all the depth we have a safety right now and the lack of depth at corner why wouldn't a talented kid spend more of his time at corner where he would have a more likely chance of being used this year?

Here are a couple of ideas I had.
Are they more confident in our corners than we are?
Are they foreseeing Brandon Bryant going pro early?
Are they planning for a defense that schematically needs more safety coverage?
Is the nickel being coached along with safety rather than corner?

missouridawg
08-06-2016, 07:11 AM
I think we are going to try and be as multiple as possible. The SEC West faces the most diverse offenses in the country and a singular defensive scheme doesn't match up well across the board here. So there will be packages in which we have 3 CbB and 2 SS on the field at the same time. If you have a guy that can do both, why not prepare him for that?

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 07:15 AM
So are they saying he is already prepared as a corner? If so that's great news. If not he should experiment and grow into new roles at Spring camp but not during fall camp.

msstate7
08-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Could be we don't feel our safeties are very good pass defenders and smitherman upgrades us

Madisonmd
08-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Bryant is contemplating early entry per agent source along with several others. Doesn't mean it will happen, contemplation at this time. But, as we've seen , these do not put a lot of thought into this process sometimes

confucius say
08-06-2016, 08:04 AM
He is going to be our nickel corner. Will be in on third down a lot. Same thing saban does in his 3-4-have a designated nickel corner (third corner) on field on third down. Allows for more man coverage behind his exotic third down blitzes.

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 08:43 AM
He is going to be our nickel corner. Will be in on third down a lot. Same thing saban does in his 3-4-have a designated nickel corner (third corner) on field on third down. Allows for more man coverage behind his exotic third down blitzes.

That makes sense. Thanks

lamont
08-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Damn near every kid wants to leave after their 3rd year. It's all about the NFL to them and getting a paycheck

With Jiles, Cleveland, and Durr in the mix- interesting to see Smitherman being touted over one of them

HancockCountyDog
08-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Someone help me figure this out. I just watched the interview with our safety coach Maurice Linguist. When he talked about Smitherman who he refers to as Mo he said that they want him to be able to play corner and safety. On the depth chart they only had him listed as safety. But with all the depth we have a safety right now and the lack of depth at corner why wouldn't a talented kid spend more of his time at corner where he would have a more likely chance of being used this year?

Here are a couple of ideas I had.
Are they more confident in our corners than we are?
Are they foreseeing Brandon Bryant going pro early?
Are they planning for a defense that schematically needs more safety coverage?
Is the nickel being coached along with safety rather than corner?

I was re-watching the spring game last night and the one thing that stood out to me regarding coverage is that McLaurin takes bad angles on tackles. That is something he has to improve on.

missouridawg
08-06-2016, 09:26 AM
That makes sense. Thanks

That's called being multiple...

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Damn near every kid wants to leave after their 3rd year. It's all about the NFL to them and getting a paycheck

With Jiles, Cleveland, and Durr in the mix- interesting to see Smitherman being touted over one of them

How many years would you work without a paycheck?

Taog Redloh
08-06-2016, 10:33 AM

Because they all are going to the NFL and everything.

I mean screw a free education, being kings of campus, etc. That shit just sucks, doesn't it? Poor football players.

Bothrops
08-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Millenials

biggun
08-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Jiles and Cleveland are both career backups with limited ability so let's hope several of our younger & Juco cb's are being touted over those 2 or we are in serious trouble at CB.

Irondawg
08-06-2016, 12:15 PM
I was re-watching the spring game last night and the one thing that stood out to me regarding coverage is that McLaurin takes bad angles on tackles. That is something he has to improve on.

You could say the same thing about almost all our safeties the past 3 years.

mic
08-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Jiles and Cleveland are both career backups with limited ability so let's hope several of our younger & Juco cb's are being touted over those 2 or we are in serious trouble at CB.

Well we had 2 CB drafted ( Calhoun and Redmond) so there was one reason they have been career backups..
Saying that no doubt CB is the most concerning position with the defense this season. IMO

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Because they all are going to the NFL and everything.

I mean screw a free education, being kings of campus, etc. That shit just sucks, doesn't it? Poor football players.

But you can't pay momma's light bill with any of that? (Unless you are LT.)

1bigdawg
08-06-2016, 01:59 PM

Jiles has been great in the few times he has been healthy. Also we have four recent cornerbacks in NFL camps right now.

deltadawg99
08-06-2016, 02:05 PM
There will be several guys playing multiple positions. Another way to get the top 11 guys out there.

dawgoneyall
08-06-2016, 02:09 PM

All thur college. Plenty do it without their education being paid for.

Don't think he can play more than 5 years.

Todd4State
08-06-2016, 03:41 PM

I like this.

blacklistedbully
08-06-2016, 04:02 PM
All thur college. Plenty do it without their education being paid for.

Don't think he can play more than 5 years.

EXACTLY! This is what the, "pay college athletes" crowd doesn't seem to get. These kids come into this PLAYING A GAME THEY LOVE, having access to all kinds of school-funded benefits, such as much better lodging, much better food than regular student population, free tutoring, being showered with attention, getting a free education, often valued north of $30k-per-year, free medical, often free poon-tang, etc,etc.

And for the truly gifted ones....the ones who are proportionally responsible for helping the school make money...they also get the benefit of being prepared to get a shot at an NFL career that will earn them $ millions.

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 04:41 PM
EXACTLY! This is what the, "pay college athletes" crowd doesn't seem to get. These kids come into this PLAYING A GAME THEY LOVE, having access to all kinds of school-funded benefits, such as much better lodging, much better food than regular student population, free tutoring, being showered with attention, getting a free education, often valued north of $30k-per-year, free medical, often free poon-tang, etc,etc.

And for the truly gifted ones....the ones who are proportionally responsible for helping the school make money...they also get the benefit of being prepared to get a shot at an NFL career that will earn them $ millions.

Once again none of that is going to pay his mom's light bill tomorrow. At the end of the day Mullen agrees with me and most players and coaches agree. If guys are rated high enough to go then they should go but it is always a player's personal decision and no one should shame them for the decision they make. Since we redshirt so many guys some of them have already graduated and the rest only have a semester or two to go which they can complete during a summer session.

PS If guys were playing for an education they would have signed with Harvard or Yale not State.

blacklistedbully
08-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Once again none of that is going to pay his mom's light bill tomorrow. At the end of the day Mullen agrees with me and most players and coaches agree. If guys are rated high enough to go then they should go but it is always a player's personal decision and no one should shame them for the decision they make. Since we redshirt so many guys some of them have already graduated and the rest only have a semester or two to go which they can complete during a summer session.

PS If guys were playing for an education they would have signed with Harvard or Yale not State.

I was not referring to guys choosing to leave early, I was referring to the notion college players should be paid a salary to play college football.

PS - If people could qualify for Harvard & Yale, most of them would prefer to go there as well. But there's this little thing called, "qualifying" that gets in the way. You see, these days one would have to have a GPA FAR in excess of 4.0, a TON of extra-curricular activities and incredible references to get into those schools.

Let's not move to the absurd, mkay?

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 05:28 PM
I was not referring to guys choosing to leave early, I was referring to the notion college players should be paid a salary to play college football.

PS - If people could qualify for Harvard & Yale, most of them would prefer to go there as well. But there's this little thing called, "qualifying" that gets in the way. You see, these days one would have to have a GPA FAR in excess of 4.0, a TON of extra-curricular activities and incredible references to get into those schools.

Let's not move to the absurd, mkay?

The NCAA must disagree since they have already started allowing for cost of living stipends for players. It is almost inevitable that eventually players will either be paid or the NCAA will have to allow players to declare for the pros earlier. I'm almost surprised it has happened already. For example, a guy like Leonard Fournette has nothing to play for other than a national championship and a shot at the Heisman. Had he won either one of those last year there would have been no other reason to play and put the wear and tear on his body other than his scholarship. While I'm still paying student loans it would not be a problem for an NFL player to pay that off even with a rookie FA minimum contract.

IN OTHER NEWS I saw that Taveze Calhoun is turning a lot of heads in Chicago.

Dawgcentral
08-06-2016, 06:04 PM

I'd work 5 years on a full ride with books, lodging, stipend, and meals paid for.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2016, 06:07 PM
I'd work 5 years on a full ride with books, lodging, stipend, and meals paid for.

Do you come from a sub-poverty line family and did you grow up in a trailer?

Todd4State
08-06-2016, 06:07 PM

It's hard to tell a guy like Josh Robinson who is homeless that they need to come back.

I just wish the NFL had more lenient rules about going back to school. And the NCAA as well.

Todd4State
08-06-2016, 06:09 PM

That's the thing. The players have good accommodations. Their families do not unless your last name is Tunsil.

Joe Schmedlap
08-06-2016, 06:49 PM

Why yes, I did. And I worked in school for eight years before obtaining my advanced degree.

ShotgunDawg
08-06-2016, 06:54 PM
I just wish the NFL had more lenient rules about going back to school. And the NCAA as well.

The problem is that National Signing Day is in February & the draft in April. College teams have to know how many players they can sign, so the players have to declare before national signing day.

I think a JR combine could certainly help or they would need to move national signing day back to April, which I don't think anyone wants.

Todd4State
08-06-2016, 07:07 PM
The problem is that National Signing Day is in February & the draft in April. College teams have to know how many players they can sign, so the players have to declare before national signing day.

I think a JR combine could certainly help or they would need to move national signing day back to April, which I don't think anyone wants.

Good point about NSD. I don't think I would want to push recruiting even further back.

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 08:01 PM

I don't know how and why the NCAA can have one set of rules for basketball and another set for football. Doesn't make any sense to me. Why do players have to play football for three years but BB players can one and done?

sandwolf
08-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I don't know how and why the NCAA can have one set of rules for basketball and another set for football. Doesn't make any sense to me. Why do players have to play football for three years but BB players can one and done?

Those are not NCAA rules. They are NFL/NBA rules. The NCAA isn't holding the players prisoner. They can leave whenever they want to......but the NFL won't allow them to play until they are 3 years removed from high school, and the NBA won't allow them to play until they are 1 year removed from high school.

Reason2succeed
08-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Those are not NCAA rules. They are NFL/NBA rules. The NCAA isn't holding the players prisoner. They can leave whenever they want to......but the NFL won't allow them to play until they are 3 years removed from high school, and the NBA won't allow them to play until they are 1 year removed from high school.

Gotcha. I don't like that they are different but that's fair. The employer has a right to determine their criteria for employment.

I agree with Shotgun that the for the sake of the players and their own interest of getting fully matured and prepared players they should do an earlier evaluation so that players can make a better choice.

biggun
08-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Well we had 2 CB drafted ( Calhoun and Redmond) so there was one reason they have been career backups..
Saying that no doubt CB is the most concerning position with the defense this season. IMO

Calhoun was not drafted, but signed a FA deal.

Cleveland started @ USM for Calhoun and when Redmond went down halfway through the season. He struggled but then again, so did our entire secondary as a whole