PDA

View Full Version : Raekwon Davis

msstate7
08-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Cleared to play this year. I thought he was a lost cause. Losing him really stings now

Irondawg
08-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Yeah going to be interesting to see how that works out and if it was a big miss or not

blacklistedbully
08-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Screw him. Hope he rides the bench until he gets, "processed".

TUSK
08-03-2016, 11:14 PM
I'm curious if he may not be TOO BIG to be a 3-4 DL...

Who's the resident Xs & Os cat, now that C34 is gone?

msstate7
08-03-2016, 11:18 PM

Me. He's too big of a punk for any defense in my expert opinion**

MarketingBully
08-04-2016, 03:00 AM
He can practice but I thought he was ineligible to play this year. Did that get over turned?

Madisonmd
08-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Maybe Bama has their own "Wayne County Academic Institution" somewhere hidden in LA?

msstate7
08-04-2016, 06:47 AM
He can practice but I thought he was ineligible to play this year. Did that get over turned?

tRant says he's cleared. I didn't read for myself though

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-04-2016, 07:18 AM

I think he was eligible, then ruled ineligible, and is now eligible again....damn it must be nice to play the system like some of these schools know how to do.

MarketingBully
08-04-2016, 08:28 AM
He is not eligible under the new system but Alabama appealed based on this being the first year of that system. So in a technical sense, he is not eligible but because he plays at Alabama they are making an exception this year.

CadaverDawg
08-04-2016, 08:35 AM

I was under the impression he would end up on the O-Line in college, but I may be mistaken.

MarketingBully
08-04-2016, 08:35 AM
It's dumb. Why even have academic rules? How they got him eligible is a mystery to me. Didn't the kid get a 12 or 14 on his ACT?

Political Hack
08-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Dante Jones laughs at this thread.

HSVDawg
08-04-2016, 08:58 AM
He is not eligible under the new system but Alabama appealed based on this being the first year of that system. So in a technical sense, he is not eligible but because he plays at Alabama they are making an exception this year.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this "new system"? Did the NCAA increase the HS qualification requirements (ACT, GPA, etc.)?

MarketingBully
08-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this "new system"? Did the NCAA increase the HS qualification requirements (ACT, GPA, etc.)?

Yep. I think with his ACT score he had to have a 2.5 or higher GPA and he was barely at 2.0. They raised the requirements starting this year. He was borderline in the fact that he could practice with the team but was ineligible to play. Since this is the first year of said system, Alabama appealed on that basis. Very bizarre how they got him in. Several schools didn't recruit him based on the fact they were 100% sure he wouldn't make it. Sometimes you just never know....

MarketingBully
08-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I think he fit somewhere in the middle of the below new rules:

Beginning August 1, 2016, you must earn at least a 2.300 GPA in NCAA core courses to be eligible to compete in your first year of college.

To get a scholarship and practice, you must earn at least a 2.000 GPA in NCAA core courses.

HoopsDawg
08-04-2016, 11:27 AM

He likes D-line, but most of the scouts think he could be a pro OT.

Spiderman
08-04-2016, 03:08 PM

You almost can't be too big to play nose in a true 3-4

msstate7
08-04-2016, 03:15 PM

I would think too tall can be a problem. Might lose leverage with guard and center getting lower

PassInterference
08-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Supposedly, we're a multiple front defense. Does this mean that with one personnel group we can go 3-4, 4-3, or some crazy Joe Lee Dunn shit?

Big Nick needs to be versatile.

HancockCountyDog
08-04-2016, 03:21 PM
I can't believe that he is on their roster this year. I was told that there was a -5% chance he would be on a SEC campus this year.

Just goes to show you that Bama ain't scared of shit when it comes to pulling academic strings.

msstate7
08-04-2016, 03:36 PM
I can't believe that he is on their roster this year. I was told that there was a -5% chance he would be on a SEC campus this year.

Just goes to show you that Bama ain't scared of shit when it comes to pulling academic strings.

If we thought there was a 5% chance of getting him in, he probably made the right choice of school to be honest. Pains me to say that too

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Kind of strange that we lose Moton & Davis due to grade type situations, only to see them go somewhere else & get eligible.

We talk about how much Ole Miss cheats, but Saban has the world wrapped around his finger. He's got cheating so down pat, that it's not longer cheating. He's institutionalized the gray area to the point where it legally lines up with the NCAA.

TUSK
08-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Kind of strange that we lose Moton & Davis due to grade type situations, only to see them go somewhere else & get eligible.

We talk about how much Ole Miss cheats, but Saban has the world wrapped around his finger. He's got cheating so down pat, that it's not longer cheating. He's institutionalized the gray area to the point where it legally lines up with the NCAA.

do tell....

klong-dog
08-04-2016, 04:05 PM
What good will it do? How many car lots does he run now?

LockeDawg
08-04-2016, 04:16 PM
You almost can't be too big to play nose in a true 3-4Didn't Bama have "Mount" Cody a few years ago and then that big Australian Jessie Williams? HUGE guys at NT.

TUSK
08-04-2016, 04:19 PM
What good will it do? How many car lots does he run now?

I don't think he "runs" any of em... He's a partner in a Mercedes dealership, however...

Check out this ridiculousness ($200K Saban Series Soccer Mom Van):

TUSK
08-04-2016, 04:20 PM
yup, but those cats had a low center of gravity... Raekwon is 6-6 or 6-7, I think...

I'd think that could be a liability at NT... but I'll defer...

Dallas_Dawg
08-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Shotgun is right. If you don't think Bama is playing the game, you're delusional.

TUSK
08-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Shotgun is right. If you don't think Bama is playing the game, you're delusional.

all schools play "the game"... some more, some less... some within the rules, some blow it out (OM); but, they all do... to think otherwise is equitably delusional...

Dallas_Dawg
08-04-2016, 06:15 PM
all schools play "the game"... some more, some less... some within the rules, some blow it out (OM); but, they all do... to think otherwise is equitably delusional...

Bama has more money and resources so you'd have to think that's why they have an all 5 star defense coming up this year.
Saban is just smarter than Freeze

TUSK
08-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Bama has more money and resources so you'd have to think that's why they have an all 5 star defense coming up this year.
Saban is just smarter than Freeze

Look, it's not like Raekwon had to take 36 summer credits to get qualified... he just needed to raise his ACT score... (He claims he made a 19)...

Additionally, it's not like he said he wanted to go to MSU and chose Bammer because [of whatever reason]... He chose Bama over LSU....

Dallas_Dawg
08-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Look, it's not like Raekwon had to take 36 summer credits to get qualified... he just needed to raise his ACT score... (He claims he made a 19)...

Additionally, it's not like he said he wanted to go to MSU and chose Bammer because [of whatever reason]... He chose Bama over LSU....

Pretty sure he flipped to us on a visit and a couple hours later, he "changed his mind" or "came to his senses" as one would be led to believe.

TUSK
08-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure he flipped to us on a visit and a couple hours later, he "changed his mind" or "came to his senses" as one would be led to believe.

actually, he claims he was "hacked" in that instance... He's also on record that LSU was his #2...

ShotgunDawg
08-04-2016, 06:52 PM
actually, he claims he was "hacked" in that instance... He's also on record that LSU was his #2...

And you believe that? Sheesh

msbulldog
08-04-2016, 06:53 PM

More Money!

TUSK
08-04-2016, 06:55 PM
And you believe that? Sheesh

Hey, you may be right, and Raekwon may be lying... I'm just quoting him...

But I feel ya, "kids", ya know.

Spiderman
08-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Supposedly, we're a multiple front defense. Does this mean that with one personnel group we can go 3-4, 4-3, or some crazy Joe Lee Dunn shit?

Big Nick needs to be versatile.

No, we are gonna try and be a true 2 gap 3-4 defense.

It is the most radical change on defense since we hired Joe Lee.

We have been a 1 gap 4-3 defense since Joe Lee left.

But it will be nothing like a Joe Lee defense, more NFL like.

Hope we have the players to do it.

defiantdog
08-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Raekwon will be one of Bama's typical blue chip transfers in a year or two.