PDA

View Full Version : FB jersey #'s 21 & 98

Goldendawg
08-03-2016, 07:14 PM
My late Father and Mom donated one of the carved lockers in the game day locker room several years ago. We were allowed to go inside for pictures a couple of times during Spring practices. I have a picture of my now 15 year old son and I sitting in the locker with a plaque honoring Dad from about 14 years ago. There was also a glass enclosed locker with Keefer McGee's #21 and Rodney Stowers's # 98 with gameballs and other memorabilia from their playing days. Is this still on display? Are we still using those lockers? We of course have yet to let a player use #21 during the regular season. HailState roster has RB Gibson listed as #21. We have continued to use #98, but as time has passed I bet a majority of State fans do not know that Rodney Stowers died 5 days after the road game at Florida from complications of a broken leg suffered in the game. The Carrion Liar has an article about these #'s today but I used all my free views. Anyone know what's up?

msstate7
08-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Haven't read, but you can read yourself. Just clear your cache

Todd4State
08-03-2016, 07:44 PM
If there is one thing that Ole Miss does right that I would copy it's how they have honored Chucky Mullins by awarding his number to a player. I daresay had they not done that Mullins would have been forgotten over the years, but because they have done that it's a conversation on most every game that they play.

And I will say that I totally understand and respect the wishes of their family members if they want the number out of rotation and they should have a lot of say in what happens with those numbers.

BUT to me I think the best way to honor our players that have passed away over the years- Stowers, Keefer, Earnest Garner, Nick Bell, Keith Joseph and possibly others that I may have left out- is to award a deserving player who emulates the good traits of those players that passed away while in school. Pretty much what Ole Miss does with Mullins number. I believe they have a ceremony that goes along with the awarding of that number and it is given to a senior on defense. Certainly we could have our own criteria because I don't think it necessarily has to go to a senior. Bell's jersey went to a different player the last few games of the 2010 season for example and we certainly could follow that model.

And I don't know that we necessarily have to honor all of those players with a jersey award- but I do think at the very least a memorial should be placed in the Junction in memory of those players. And I may get some disagreement on this, but at the very least I think Keefer, Stowers, and Bell's numbers should be given out as award's in their memory.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Stowers is the least known of those yet he is the only one that died of an on the field injury. He should get more recognition.

fader2103
08-03-2016, 07:52 PM
McGee's case is still there. I had one of my good friends take a pic recently of her son infront of it. I'm suprised they don't have one from Nick Bell

Goldendawg
08-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, for the quick replies. Showing my age but was mainly thinking of Keefer and Rodney. Didn't think at this moment about Joseph, Garner, and Bell. Man, we lost some fine young men! BTW, is the McGee and Stowers display still in the lockerroom?

Goldendawg
08-03-2016, 07:55 PM
When I was there about 14 yrs ago McGee and Stowers display was in the same glass enclosed locker.

coastratdog
08-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Wasn't there a Kevin Henry that died during Jackies early years?!

Reunion Dog
08-04-2016, 02:21 AM
Kevon Henry was one of the best defensive players Jackie ever had. He was a STUD on his 1st Peach Bowl team. I drank beer with him at the Hilton after the game. He played in the NFL. He isn't dead. There was a STUD superstar Jackie signed from Texas... He and his dad were driving to Starkville and they were killed in a robery at a gas station in Texas...

jb1020
08-04-2016, 08:17 AM
It was there last season. We did one of those maroon memory tours on a Friday night before a game. Got to tour the locker room and all of that.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-04-2016, 10:55 AM
. There was a STUD superstar Jackie signed from Texas... He and his dad were driving to Starkville and they were killed in a robery at a gas station in Texas...

Paul Broussard was a big recruit that was killed...Darren Williams...senseless tragedies

jumbo
08-04-2016, 01:23 PM
If there is one thing that Ole Miss does right that I would copy it's how they have honored Chucky Mullins by awarding his number to a player. I daresay had they not done that Mullins would have been forgotten over the years, but because they have done that it's a conversation on most every game that they play.

And I will say that I totally understand and respect the wishes of their family members if they want the number out of rotation and they should have a lot of say in what happens with those numbers.

BUT to me I think the best way to honor our players that have passed away over the years- Stowers, Keefer, Earnest Garner, Nick Bell, Keith Joseph and possibly others that I may have left out- is to award a deserving player who emulates the good traits of those players that passed away while in school. Pretty much what Ole Miss does with Mullins number. I believe they have a ceremony that goes along with the awarding of that number and it is given to a senior on defense. Certainly we could have our own criteria because I don't think it necessarily has to go to a senior. Bell's jersey went to a different player the last few games of the 2010 season for example and we certainly could follow that model.

And I don't know that we necessarily have to honor all of those players with a jersey award- but I do think at the very least a memorial should be placed in the Junction in memory of those players. And I may get some disagreement on this, but at the very least I think Keefer, Stowers, and Bell's numbers should be given out as award's in their memory.

That's what is going to start happening moving forward. 21 & 36 will be available to players that earn them.

DanDority
08-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I guess I always thought Rodney was #97? Guess I was wrong.

Billy Ray Valentine
08-04-2016, 03:02 PM
I guess I always thought Rodney was #97? Guess I was wrong.

You're not wrong. He was 97

Goldendawg
08-04-2016, 06:07 PM
My bad. I thought Rodney was #98. Have we used #97 in games since his death? Only MSU player that I know of that died from complications of an injury that occurred during a game, MSU at FLA.

DanDority
08-04-2016, 06:29 PM
My bad. I thought Rodney was #98. Have we used #97 in games since his death? Only MSU player that I know of that died from complications of an injury that occurred during a game, MSU at FLA.

Yes, we have continued to use 97 every year since and it has always bothered me. Yet everyone seems to forget that he died because of something that happened ON THE FIELD!

LC Dawg
08-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Stowers is the least known of those yet he is the only one that died of an on the field injury. He should get more recognition.
I agree he should be recognized more. I was a student at the time. I still remember the shock and grief I experienced when hearing he had died. It was such a freakish thing.